Thread: bigginers game

1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: bigginers game

Morgainmonde

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Saves. My Favorite. Doh. Will Saving Throw=(1d20+2)[22]

I suddenly feel as if the clarity and lucidity of a crystal has been imparted on my consciousness. Of course! The Priestess was wearing a blue dress with indigo sleeves and a red hairband. She must like Lilies and candlelit dinners on the nights of a harvest moon near lakes. I should invite her to such an occasion once I have finished this romp through the ruin of oppulence that is this estate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Translation: Natural 20 on the will save. Morg's thoughts were so far from the task at hand, he wasn't in danger of the foul influence.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-06-26 at 05:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kearn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! a will save.
    Will save:(1d20+2)[3]

EDIT:Natural 1, and Morgan got a natural 20. This isn't one of my lucky days.

RUUUNN!!
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-06-27 at 12:56 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Odin Draws Out his flint and steel and attemts to strike a flame.

As he does so he thinks This is why I try to stick to the basics.
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #124

HalflingRogueGirl

Syrus
    Deciding that Odin has everything under control, she decides to take in the view for a moment. She happens to see Steve running like a little girl, and soon after Derrick, who stops at the gate. Odin, finish here as quickly as possible, and come downstairs with best speed you can muster. I wager that Morgan is going to need our help in a big way.
    She hustles out the door and down when she reaches the trap door, she notes the high quality craftsmanship and good condition the wood is in, dispite it's exposure to the elements. Must be enchanted. Endure elements or some such... She quickly secures her rope around the bottom two rungs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Use Rope (1d20+6)[23]
    and uses it to quickly repell down the tower. I know you're in bad straits, but I think morgan may need resueing. I saw steve and Derrick run out of the house screaming. I need you to run to the gate and rally Derrick, steve is long gone. Meet me in the house. ARE YOU DONe YET ODIN?

Meanwhile, the slamming on the door swiftly escapates into timber trembling blows, the door semms to be holding fairly well under this abuse, cinsidering it's age and the level of care it has recieved of late, sudenly, the wood slinters, and Morgan can see the horror on the other side. It looks like a flayed human skin.........
    Spoiler
    Show
    there is only a hole in the door. niether morgan nor the creature can attack yet. unless you have magic anyways.

5. - Top - End - #125

Tau Pei

Hearing the commotion outside, he slowly and clumsily gets up and makes his way to the mansion. I might not be able to do much, but I'll do what I can. Damn it all, I wish my head cleric were here. She'd have this poison cured in a heartbeat... Well, I'll make do...

6. - Top - End - #126

Morgainmonde

With all haste, Morg rushes from the door as much as 30ft but still within line of site to the hole. He then Readies and Fires an arrow at the hole.

Spoiler
    Show
    Should I review the rules for cover and concealment? Attack Roll (1d20+8)[22] Damage Roll (1d8+2)[8]

I don't s'pose ye be an elf?

Spoiler
    Show
    Alternative: If he cannot attack through the hole with his bow, morg moves to the edge of 30 ft and readies the action to fire at it once it comes within view. Same attack as above, if allowed.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    you may choose to atack the creature now if you wish, the target will benefit from a cover bonus. The rules as written provide a flat bonus fro types of cover (+4) but in this case you are shooting at something the about the size of the palm of of a child's hand. The creature is ruled to have a +8 cover bonus to AC if you choose to fire now.

Syrus Syrus comes burstin gthrough the front door, and immediatly spies thecreature and also Morgan. Seeing the writhing mass straining at the door sends a chill down her spine.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will save vs. fear DC 12 (1d20-1)[16]
    Dear gods, what is that thing?
    she readies herself for the fight by moving to stand next to morgan, and readies her wand and staff.

8. - Top - End - #128

Morgainmonde

Spoiler
    Show
    I attack it now, through the hole. Hopefully I'll get more shots in that way. For what its worth, magic missles don't miss. If you have line of sight, nothing short of spell resistance stops them. Do I need to make another attack roll?

What are you doing here? I thought you were in the light house. And what happened to Steve and Derrick? What in the depths of the Nine are we fighting? Gah! I stop paying attention for one minute and the world falls apart.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    your attack misses. Confidentially, if you roll a Nat 20, you ca hit. Probably not untill he gets through will you hit him. don't worry, it won't take long...

Syrus
    I saw Steve and Derrick run like scared little kittens, and thought you were in deep. as to what it is, I ain't ever seen a skin move without a body before.
    She focuses momentarilly, and tries to force some force out the slender stick of holly wood.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[19]
    and if succesful deals
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d4+3)[11]

I gotta warn you, our cleric ran off without a word, Odin, Tau, and I are badly poisoned by a pair of particularly nasty spiders, so don't count on much in the way of agility from any of us. Particularly Tau Pei. I sent Tau Pei to stop derrick and get him back here. We'll need to hold here untill our main-liners arrive. Odin will get here first, I hope. I left a rope for him to decend quicker than the stairs, as soon as he gets the lighthouse lit up again.

Meanwhile, at the top of the tower:
    C'mon, work, you piece of crap... Odin has been trying for for nearly a minute to get the massive torch lit, After hearing Syrus holler throught the floorboards, he manages to get it. At last and grabs his gear to head out the door.

10. - Top - End - #130

OrcBarbarianGuy

HahaOdin exclaims as the fire roars to life.
    He thenn quickly decends the rope and rushs over to the manor making sure to pick up his bow on the way there. As he enters he sees the mass of rotting flesh through the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[6]will save
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

11. - Top - End - #131

OrcBarbarianGuy

At the sight of the flesh Odins inner demons rise up and over whelm his senses. The bodies, all the bodies, the elf, her flesh layering the ground thick with blood. Odin roars with outrage that these thoughts are intruding upon his mind and preceeds to flee away form them the only way he knows how, running from them. Taking a good chunk of the door frame out with his body.

12. - Top - End - #132

HalflingRogueGirl

Syrus
    Seeing the reaction provoked from just about everyone but morgan and herself, she turns to Morgan. He who fights and runs away... grabs him, and makes for the gate after Odin (and everyone else) at best speed.

13. - Top - End - #133

Tau Pei

Makes it outside just in time to see everyone else running, and decides to follow them, while stealing a glance backwards at the manor.

14. - Top - End - #134

Morgainmonde

Relax Sy. Whatever it is, I'm sure just the two of us can handle it. We may need some better tactics though. I bet it isn't that fast, and we can probably hit and run. If not, I have a trick up my sleeve.

Spoiler
    Show
    Summon Nature's Ally 1 gives me a wolf that can make free trip attempts. If this thing is slower than us, we can fire at it while moving.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    you are recomending that you attempt what is probably at least a fourth level encounter, with only 2 fourth level characters, one of whom, has taken 8 points of Dexterity damage, as well as being at half hit points or so. Assuming that we are faster than it is, is litterally gambling with our (character's) lives, but if you think you can handle it....

Syrus

Syrus gapes at him with amazement. Are you nuts? at that moment, the door gives way under the punishment it has endured, and what litterally looks like the skin of an elf comes slithering silently towards them at alarming speed. WE had a chance to get away. I'll fight with you, but I ain't dragging your ass out of here if you fall.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll initiative: SKin;(1d20+5)[9] syrus (1d20-1)[18] Morgan (1d20+3)[23]
    Last edited by Dragoon 6; 2008-06-29 at 02:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Morgainmonde

34HP 18AC

Stay Back and pelt it with magic! I'll take the lead. Run should I fall.

Morg drops his longbow and pulls out both light picks, and begins concentrating on the natural elements around him. The lightning eluminating the manor, the rain slicking the smooth floor, the smell of death and decay permiating the air around them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morg readies the action to cast Summon Nature's Ally (Wolf) should the creature move to within 10 ft of him (so that a five foot step means I am in melee with the creature). The wolf is summoned immediatly behind the enemy. (The wolf gets his full turn upon casting, and is dismissed at the end of my turn and right before he would go again). This also will change my initiative order, either to right before the enemy, or right after (I can never remember which). Also, while I assume this creature is undead; since it has elven skin, does my Favored Enemy Elf stuff affect it? Probably not but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    while the race of the skin is indeed an elf, the creature's type is Undead, and it has memory of behaviors from the source of the skin. So I'm sorry, no favored enemy bonus in this case.

Syrus
    Hp 11
    Ac 17 (Full defense with combat expertise at max)

She curses aloud at the sight of the creature and crosses her finders as she again tries the wand.Third time's the charm
    Spoiler
    Show
    Use MAgic DC 20 (1d20+9)[13] if good deals (3d4+3)[7]

18. - Top - End - #138

HalflingRogueGirl

Morgan hears syrus give an even firmer curse and hopes that nothing has gone too awry, but he is quickly occupied as the Skin Thing closes the gap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take your turn Mr. neoseph your new initiative is after the skin thing

19. - Top - End - #139

Morgainmonde

HP: 34 AC: 18

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing personal Dragoon, but I think you can only use combat expertise in melee, which I highly recomend you avoiding for the fight. You can borrow the bow I just dropped if you can use it. Further, where did the creature move to? Did I summon my wolf? If not, assuming there is room behind the creature, I summon the wolf on my turn, and then move to flank. If the wolf's turn goes before my movement, it isn't flanking, though I am on the next round.

Wolf: Med 2HD Animal
    HP:13 SP:50' AC:14

Wolf's Will Save: (1d20+1)[11]

Assuming success, Attack roll=(1d20+3)[16]
    Damage= (1d6+1)[5]
    If hit, trip attempt (opposed roll)=(1d20+4)[13]

Claw and Fang! I beckon thee! Now we see if this doesn't turn out the way I hoped.

Morg summons a ravenous wolf to the battle field, and moves to flank the would be assailant of flesh and grissle.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    went and reread Cobat Expertise. Good call, only used when making a melee attack. Sorry for the vaugeness, but yes, the creature is now directly in front of you and your pet is now behind him. He is not required to make the Will save. The wolves attack misses.

The creature seems mostly unaware of the wolf's sudden appearance, and focuses on it goal. It rears up and twists violently to slap at Morgan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Atk vs Morgan (1d20+7)[19] if hit deals (1d6+10)[11]

Syrus
    Hp 11
    Ac 12

Syrus sees the creature deal a crushing blow, and feels her nerves starting to fray. We're gonna die here, can't leave Morgan to die alone though
    She grits her teeth and tries her wand one more time
    Spoiler
    Show
    use Magic DC 20 (1d20+9)[21] if yes than (3d4+3)[11] damage

At last, it still works. She seems mighty pleased that the wand worked.We may live after all...

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Dragoon 6; 2008-06-29 at 10:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Morgainmonde
    HP: 23 AC:19

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming the creature is medium sized, the wolf should have got an attack of opportunity against Skinny Flay for leaving a threatened square, (and moving more than 5 feet in the round).

wolf attack (1d20+3)[8] Damage if hit: (1d6+1)[7]
    trip attempt if attack hits: (1d20+4)[19]

sorry to be a nit picker about combat, but we will likely need every little bit we can get to win. And running away from combat seems so... bleck.

Also, I designate the skin monster as my dodge bonus recipient.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or the wolf can miss. Badly.

Seeing the ineffectiveness of his canine summon, Morg strikes the beast with both picks.

Good Missles Sy. Alright ugly. Have at you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1: [roll]1d20+9[/roll] Damage: [roll]1d4+3[/roll]
    Attack 2:[roll]1d20+8[/roll] Damage: [roll]1d4+1[/roll]
    With my luck, I'll get a crit. After the attacks, the wolf poofs back into the darkness.

We'll play again soon my furry friend
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-06-29 at 11:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Morgainmonde

Spoiler
    Show
    Right. Can't edit in new rolls. My bad.

Attack 1: (1d20+9)[23] Damage: (1d4+3)[5]
    Attack 2:(1d20+8)[11] Damage: (1d4+1)[5]
    With my luck, I'll get a crit. After the attacks, the wolf poofs back into the darkness.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

HalflingRogueGirl

your picks tear small frsh holes in the thing. The thing rears in anger and pain, and spins to stirke once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20+7)[20] if 19 or better deal (1d5+10)[14]
    Last edited by Dragoon 6; 2008-06-29 at 11:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144

HalflingRogueGirl

Morgan feels his body give under the things tremendous blow. He knows now that they are in very serious trouble as a quick glance shows that the thing appears to be little bothered by the cuts he has inflicted nor by the burns Syrus bolts have caused.

Syrus
    hp 11
    Ac 9 (forgot she wasn't wearing her armor at the moment)
    Morgan we must retreat! I have an idea that may buy us a few seconds head start! Hopeing that morfan sees the folly of continuing the fight, she stows her potent, but unreliable wand, and draws both of her remaining flask of Alchemical fire starters.Good thing I didn't waste these on the lighthouse flame. She then waits for her opportunity and drops anything else she had of little value, not wanting any encumberence to what looks to be a very fast retreat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Syrus is going to use the hold action option. The glass bottles are kept in special slot in her belt, making getting one out a free action. When (if) Morgan breaks away, she will throw the both bottles on floor in front of her, blocking the hallway with flame, and then jion Morgan in beating a hasty retreat out the back door. or whichever door happens to lead away from the frightful beast

25. - Top - End - #145

Morgainmonde

Luck may be a lady to some, but not for us this evening.

What foul luckMorg thinks to himself.But this isn't a winnable fight anymore. Morgainmonde retreats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Withdrawl action, double move as a full round, no Attack of opportunity. Can I pick up the bow I dropped while I run away? Or should I hope to pick it up later? Also, is the fire really going to work with all this rain?
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2008-06-30 at 01:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

HalflingRogueGirl

Syrus

Don't look back! As Morgan whips past her, Syrus shatters the glass jar on the floor a foot or two in front of her. Seeing the Fire spring up, she knows she has only a few seconds before the sticky, viscous fuel in expended. She snorts in satisfaction as the Creature balks at crossing through the searing heat. She turns and follows Morgan at a speed few would know possible. Few indeed can keep up with a properly motivated Ranger.....

Spoiler
    Show
    if you take full round action to do something, that's all you can do. But I will give a DC 20 DEX check to scoop it up if. If you have ranks in Tumblem you may add half of them as a competence bonus. As to the fire working, we are inside, as while the place is pretty damp, there is no standing water. Also, the Alchemist's Fire described by the PHB is a somewhat improved version of the anciet Greek Fire, which was said to burn underwater.( improved in the sence that the glass shattering provides enough spark to set the liquid alight. Greek Fire needed an actuall ignition source to get started.) But it is also designed to burn for only one round, and the damp wood around us will probably not dry out and catch in that time.

27. - Top - End - #147

HalflingRogueGirl

So Morgan and Syrus make good on thier escape, and regroup with Tau Pei, Derrick, and Odin at the gate. Is this all of us then?
    she asks once she has caught her breath.Well ok. Half the task is done, as the lighthouse is lit and the ships can now find safe passage. Let us head back into town to recover from ou wounds.Perhaps the fair lady of the cloth at the temple can do aught for our condition. With that, she trudges wearily through the storm and hopes the others follow.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK everyone, all but derrick are in need of some serious medical attention, and syrus will need to pick up some new armor, as hers was left on the tower floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a poll. Is everyone enjoying the game? Is there anything someone wants to see (within reason. no adult dragons at 4th level or anything)

28. - Top - End - #148

Morgainmonde

Spoiler
    Show
    Lets see if I can't get my bow back. Dex Check: (1d20+3)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry chief. not today. If it makes you feel any better, it'll probably still be there tommorrow....

30. - Top - End - #150

Morgainmonde

Limping through the rain, he plans his next attack on the skin monster, and wonders how the rest of the party is fairing.

Spoiler
    Show
    So we regroup at the temple. How about a headcount? Who's still playing? Also, seeing as to how there is no arcane spell caster, might it be possible for me to change characters, unless you want to have a low magic campaign, which is cool. It's not that I don't want to play the ranger. It just might be better for the party as a whole to have a sorceror or wizard.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show