New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Heroes United (Mutants and Masterminds)

It's a fairly ordinary afternoon at Eastern Seaboard Bank in downtown New York. It's been a fairly crowded day, but it seems to have quieted down. Of course, that doesn't last long.

A group of armed men clad in head-to-toe body armor suddenly burst through the front doors of the building and into the lobby. They order the bank patrons to lie on the floor and clear the way for a man and a woman to enter behind them. The pair is in their early 20s, both are dressed in raver-style clothes. The woman’s hair is long and flowing and the man’s short and spiky. There’s a definite family resemblance. “Rant and Rave are in da house!” the man says with a smirk.

“Try anything and regret it.” A bank guard edging toward the alarm goes flying up against the wall and slumps to the floor, unconscious as a second man wearing a ski mask floats in. "We aren't playing around."

((And so it begins. Post where you are, and why you're at the bank.))

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes United (Mutants and Masterminds)

Lunar, the Moon Lord

Adam Argentine, known by the public by his heroic identity, Lunar, the Moon Lord, was there to inactivate his credit card after a snatcher snatched his wallet - in broad daylight, no less. He could fly at several thousand miles an hour, but he didn't want to expose himself - much easier to just suffer through the procedures. He was sitting in one of the benches, waiting his turn, when the robbers busted in.

Dammit, Adam thought, and let out a small sigh. He could interfere, but he needed to change first. Good thing he had absorbed his daily dose of moonlight last night, just in case. He looked for a bathroom, or another place where he could hide during his change into the Moon Lord.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Matt Warfield - Fracture

"Tch...can't even go to the bank anymore..." one of the men who'd remained standing grumbled as he stuffed the check he'd just been about to cash into his back pocket and turned to face the intruders. Despite the armed and armored thugs pouring in through the doors and the orders to lay down on the ground, he just seemed annoyed rather than frightened. He looked out of the corner of his eye and felt his brows knit together as the security guard was flattened against the wall by some unseen force.

The man was six feet even with a long-limbed, yet muscular build. He had short hair that was so blonde it was almost white and cut short and spiky and a tuft of hair on his chin of the same color. His eyes were pure white, no pupils or irises, as if he was blind. He was wearing a pair of dark, navy-blue jeans, a black "wife-beater" tank, and bracelets carved out of what looked to be stone or wood circling each wrist. His posture was relaxed, almost casual, even as he raised one hand to his other forearm.

"It's probably just coincidence that you've come here today, just bad luck that I was here." he said as he drew his hand along his arm, pulling at something from the inside of his wrist. "Doesn't matter. Let's just say that you've all just made a huge mistake." he continued as he removed a sword from his arm, three point five foot blade and a one point five foot hilt. It looked to be made of pale, white bone and was sharp, curved and deadly. He had pulled it straight from his arm as if his flesh was made of soft clay. It flowed back together seamlessly as soon as the blade parted from his arm and he held it with practiced ease. "Because I'm not in the mood to play, either."

"Now...run."

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I take 10 on an Intimidate roll? Just to shake them a little? If so, I've got 20 on it.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2008-06-10 at 06:14 PM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Oscar Hernandez - The Revenant

The robbery is almost a relief to Oscar. Instead of explaining to the account manager - again - why he spends so much time in the red, here's a convenient problem that he can solve by hitting it.

He stands up from his seat in the waiting room, acutely aware that his mask, his costume, and all his equipment is hidden in his apartment rather than on his person. Just an average Hispanic guy in jeans and a t-shirt, he has nowhere near the presence of the other man.

"You'd better run," he says, nodding at the other man. "You see that? Imagine what he could do to you."
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2008-06-10 at 06:06 PM.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGirl

Miss Fortune

Miss Fortune sighed. Though she made only a general effort to conceal her identity, she never liked when things happened. All she wanted to do was pick up a money order to pay her rent. But of course, these ravers had to ruin things. She remembered her times doing raves, but she was tired. Perhaps if she was subtle with her powers, she could get away with using them. Still it was a risk. Then again, if she got mixed up in this, it might reveal who she was. She looked around to see what if anyone else was doing, then decided she could risk a little use of her jinx power.
    None of us have tampered with the fundemental natural order when bored. That would be wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Fracture

The thugs who can see you look unsure and remarkably less confident. The one closest to you appears to have soiled himself. Unfortunately, your speech seems to have backfired against the three metahuman robbers; they now regard you as a threat. A sonic blast hits you square in the gut, and an invisible hand seems to be trying to force you off your feet and into a wall.

Revenant

The female metahuman looks at you. "Don't try to be a hero, kid. We'll take hostages if we have to, so SIT!"

((Fracture, roll a DC27 Toughness Save, and a grapple check))

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Fracture

Spoiler
    Show
    Wonderful way to start off the game. A natural 1 on my should-be high enough Toughness roll...

Toughness: 1d20+12=13
    Grapple: 1d20+17=31

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

((Ouch! Do you want to use a Hero Point to reroll?))

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I better. Here's the new roll.
    1d20+12=22

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Fracture

While you manage to wriggle free of the invisible force grabbing you, it leaves you wide open for Rant's sonic blast. You feel your bone armour crunch, and the impact is enough to drive you to your knees, but there doesn't seem to be any permanent harm. Rant looks suprised.

((You're Bruised, Stunned, and your Armour has lost some of its effectiveness. Can you hold off on your next action until Pox and jerichodrumm post? I don't want to get too far ahead.))

Lunar, the Moon Lord

You're too far away to use the bathroom, but you spy a desk a few feet away. It offers concealment from the robbers, and everyone else seem to be too busy keeping their heads down. It should be possible to sneak behind it; the robbers seem to be distracted by some blonde guy in a wife-beater making threats.
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-06-11 at 01:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lunar

Adam sneaks behind the desk and concentrates on the transformation, bringing the latent energy stored in him to life. After a few seconds, he has changed into Lunar, the Moon Lord. Hoping no one saw him get behind the desk, he steps forward.

"Hello there. My name is Lunar, the Moon Lord, and apparently you have chosen a very bad day to rob this bank."

I used to be better at this stuff, he thinks.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pinnacle

For a few moments Pinnacle hesitated, surprised by the large number of people standing up to the dangerous robbers. The young man was taller than average, and looked athletic. His dark hair was tied back in a ponytail that hung down past his shoulders, and he was wearing ordinary street clothes--dark blue jeans, worn sneakers, and a white T-shirt with pink lettering that read "I Bash Back".

He surveyed the situation, wary of the number of bystanders that could be harmed; he might've let the robbers do their thing, then chased them down and had a fight outside instead, but that didn't look possible now. Then he smirked.

He stuffed the his checks and deposit slip into his pocket as he moved casually forward. "It seems to me like either you guys just walked into a room full of some of the stupidest people on this hemisphere, or you're just having a really bad day today. Personally? My money's on both."

Suddenly he accelerates, moving far faster than an ordinary person should be able to do. While he moves, he lashes out at as many of the thugs as he can, as quickly as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pinnacle uses his rapid attack, trying to catch as many thugs in the 10-foot diameter area as he can. If he can hit Rant and Rave too he will, but he'll choose including thugs in the area over them as he wants to get them out of the way so they don't shoot any bystanders.

If they're minions, he takes 10 for an attack roll of 18. If not (1d20+8)[13]. Either way the Toughness DC is 27.
    Gamer avatar by kpenguin. I love the tiny little game pad belt.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

As the red-headed woman emerges from the washroom, wiping her palms on her tight black jeans, she looks up and sees the the pair acosting the bank.

Rolling her eyes, she throws her arms up in the air and sighs.

Mishka had just come to the bank to deposit her butt-load of singles and change from work. Being a waitress often had the drawback of one's accumilation of change, so to turn quarters into twenties, a trip to the bank was needed.

Though, her attitude of exasperation quickly changed at the mention of hostages. Keeping both her palms up in the air, her sapphire eyes scanned the scene as she walked slowly towards the robbers. Her hands were open, and the impossibly tight jeans she was wearing bore no mark of a carried weapon. Her face was set and tight, her face even looked scared.

Her eyes glanced towards Matt and she bit her lower lip, then eye the other two.

"If you're taking hostages, you can take me if you want." She tried to feign a brave smile, but the facade of her upset and worry broke through. Mishka was a pretty young woman in her twenties, with wild red hair, blazing eyes and freckles. "I-I'm not afraid... I just don't want to see anyone get hurt." She stuttered.
    Last edited by Pox; 2008-06-12 at 02:14 AM.
    The creature in the darkness is chargin' it's lazor! (Pox's product of late-night boredom)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jacob Hughes - Doctor Spectrum

Jacob Hughes was waiting on line to deposit his latest check from the DMA. Well, not as good as lab work...but beats working retail! He fiddles with the check in his hands and is lost in thought when the metahuman crooks bust in.

Damn...not what I wanted to do today... Jacob's eyes dart around the room, watching the scene play out as he tries to find somewhere to hide to change into his alternate identity. Bones eh? What an interesting ability... Jacob thinks when suddenly the bone-user was thrown back by some unseen force, most likely from the robbers. Soon Lunar the Moon Lord made his appearance, as well as another metahuman, who soon burst into action against the bank's assailants. Now's my chance! Jacob thinks as he tries to use the confusion caused by the sudden attack by the man moving lightening quick to move behind one of the desks to change. Haha, these criminals sure picked the wrong bank to hit...we've got a veritable super-team in here... Jacob muses to himself.

((OOC: Will try to move behind a desk without anyone noticing during the distraction caused by Pinnacle's attack, and then change into costume))
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-06-12 at 11:44 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Doctor Spectrum

With the robbers distracted by half the customers turning out to be heroes, you manage to slip behind a nearby desk and get changed.

((I'm going to wait one more day for jerichodrumm to post, then we'll continue))

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    ((I'm going to wait one more day for jerichodrumm to post, then we'll continue))

OOC: Gah! Sorry I missed the post that this had started!

FASTLANE

Freddie made his out of the Bathroom admiring the view of the sassy looking redhead who was in front of him. So engrossed in the view the former speed racer was for moments oblivious to what was transpiring.

"What the $#*T!" he exclaimed surprised by the scene unrolling before him.
    "Man did you guys pick the wrong Bank to rob!"

OOC2: Trip attack (1d20+10=12) on closest bank robber.
    Last edited by jerichodrumm; 2008-06-13 at 02:05 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Fracture

"Hngh..." Fracture grunted momentarily as he righted himself. His shirt had been torn away by the blast of sound, revealing the thin, but sturdy bone plating covering his pectorals and abdomen. He shrugged a little, rolling his neck and producing several loud cracks as the armor began to grow and cover more of him. It spread outwards over his chest and spiked pauldrons sprouted from his shoulders while a haunting, bone mask formed over his face, leaving eye holes and a set of small vents for his voice. When he spoke it echoed faintly, giving him an aura of otherworldly menace. "Going to have to do better than that, buckwheat." he said, tilting his head towards Rant. The damage he'd sustained, the bruising, was already gone.

His head then turned sharply as he recognized the redhead coming from the bathroom. "Mishka? What are you doing here?" he wondered aloud as he twirled the bone sword he was holding a few times before putting it point down on the ground in front of him. "Oh right, yesterday was payday wasn't it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending the turn shaking off the Stun effects and repairing/adding to his bone armor. His regen check (DC 10) succeeds automatically due to his score for the roll.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Lunar

"Man, I must have missed the weekly superheroes meeting! What are the odds of so many heroes deciding to visit the same bank two up-and-coming superpowered robbers and their thugs want to rob on the same day?" Lunar said jokingly. He stood out very easily amongst all the other customers. Standing almost six and a half feet with a well-built physique, he had pure white hair and piercing gray eyes. He was covered with a silvery aura, especially strong around his chest and arms. "So I assume you're not just going to run, right? Cause I would like to meet a super-thug that does that one day." He said this as he flew towards Rant and Rave, with the intent of punching one of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+8)[18]
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2008-06-14 at 02:45 PM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

((Rose, I'm going to move your action to the next round; according to your sheet, it takes a fair bit of time for you to switch to hero mode. You had enough time to stand up and introduce yourself, and will be able to attack next turn))

((ChronicLunacy, unfortunately, you can’t take the actions necessary to regrow your armour while stunned; same with regenerating damage. You can act normally next round))

While none of you were expecting a bank robbery going in, you've at least had enough time to see what you're facing. The two metahumans calling themselves Rant and Rave have stopped approximately halfway across the lobby and are escorted by six of the thugs. The thugs themselves seem to be a cut above regular hired muscle. Each is wearing what appears to be advanced body armour, and wields what Doctor Spectrum recognizes as a modified Phase Cannon, a weapon used almost exclusively by the NYPD Metahuman Response Team. The floating telekinetic is covering the exit, along with two of the other thugs. Those of you with a view outside can see another thug behind the wheel of a getaway car. Oddly enough, it's only a four seater...

((Surprise Round))

Pinnacle rushes the nearest thug, dealing a mighty blow that bypasses his body armour like it isn't even there. The man goes flying backwards...then disappears without a trace, weapon and all! Your attack seems to have happened too fast for any of the other robbers to react; except for, that is, the telekinetic. You are struck by a hammer blow of pure force, but manage to roll with it, and end up completely unharmed.

Fastlane's attack just barely misses its target, the thug moving out of the way just in time, despite his unpreparedness. Swivelling around, he fires a sizzling bolt of energy directly at Lunar. The blast, able to melt through solid steel, is absorbed harmlessly by the glowing hero.

The expression on Rant's face turns from shock to pure rage. "You want a fight? You got it!"

((Roll initiative, folks.))

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Fracture

Initiative: (1d20+7)[21]

Spoiler
    Show
    Bugger...I hate Stun. He'll do what I posted he did last time THIS round then. Guess I'll have to let the others have all the fun for now.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[22]

((OOC: h_v, find my PM in your inbox.))
    I use black for sarcasm.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Mishka Hodge - Songbird

The redhead arches an eyebrow in Fracture's direction, her face hinting at slight annoyance.

"Well yeah, I get paid whenever you issue the check, boss." She replies. Turning her head back towards Rant and Rave, she crouches herself slightly, as if bracing her body against some oncoming blow. Whatever the neon-duo had in store, it wasn't good...

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: 1d20+4 → [19,4] = (23)
    The creature in the darkness is chargin' it's lazor! (Pox's product of late-night boredom)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hmmm maybe this bank has low interest rates for superheroes." Fastlane quipped as he noted the many heroes starting to come out of the woodwork. "Shame no one told the guys with guns there are penalties for early withdraws!" He then went into a series of dizzying cartwheels, during the tumble he let loose a volley of loose change from his pocket. The coins launched themselves at bullet speeds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    initiative - (1d20+10)[19] Acrobatic Feint as a Move. Take Ten for 17. Attack the Phase Cannon the thug is shooting. attack - (1d20+10)[19] I hope I did these tags right.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGirl

Miss Fortune

Miss Fortune decided that it might be best to hang back a bit, knowing that if someone looked in trouble she could use her jinx powers to perhaps swing things towards the good guys. Well at least she thinks they're good guys.

Action: Miss Fortune will hold her action assuming a good enough initiative roll. If everyone seems to go before her, she will instead duck off somewhere so that she can switch identiities.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiatvie (d20+1)[20]
    None of us have tampered with the fundemental natural order when bored. That would be wrong.

25. - Top - End - #25

Pinnacle

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[25]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

((Oh, sorry I wasn't more clear. You can roll initiative and post your next actions.))

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: Lunar punches the closest of Rave or Rant with the attack roll above, for save DC 27.))
    I use black for sarcasm.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jacob Hughes - Doctor Spectrum

Jacob dives behind a desk for cover, and quickly changes into his costume. Pulling the mask over his face, he touches his hand to his chest and colors it in, all black with a sunburst on the chest, with each point tipped with a different color. Alright, lets see what we are up against here...

Jacob, now Doctor Spectrum, pokes his head out from behind the desk and sizes up the situation. Alright, two metahumans in front, and a floating guy in the back. Those guys look like their carrying NYPD phase cannons...but how did they get their hands on those? No sooner then he thinks this that one of the thugs fires a blast at Lunar, the Moon Lord, which does nothing to the hero. Wow...glad he's on our team...those things are designed to cut through anything...

"You want a fight? You got it!"
    Time to make a move... Doctor Spectrum flies up to the ceiling to get a better view of the area, and fires a blast of light energy at the floaty gentleman by the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative - (1d20+7)[22]
    attack - (1d20+8)[19]
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-06-14 at 12:49 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

29. - Top - End - #29

Pinnacle

Pinnacle stares after the disappearing thug, but decides to worry about it later--keeping them from hurting people is more immediately important.

"You're next, buddy," he shouts at the ineffectual telekinetic, before moving as quickly as he can to take out more of the thugs. He throws powerful blows at the one closest to Rave. If possible, he uses the momentum from knocking him down to throw a spinning kick at the metahuman herself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pinnacle moves up to the thug nearest Rave and attacks him. If the thug drops, he uses his takedown attack to attack her too.
    He takes 10 against the thugs for an 18 and (1d20+8)[10] against Rave; Toughness DC is 27.
    Last edited by Pinnacle; 2008-06-15 at 12:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

((potatocubed has unfortunately dropped out of the game, so all I need now is an action from Pox/Songbird))