New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Heresy (Light in the Void)

Nihilus acquiesces with a nod, securing his seat-belt and belongings as the group readies for departure. His magnoculars are set aside upon a dashboard niche nearby, primed for use should they be needed. Despite the commotion generated by the parting natives, the psyker pays them little heed as he goes mechanically about his preparations with undivided focus. When finished, his lithe frame becomes inert while his eyes stare blankly into the distance, as though possessed by some strange unseen vision.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Magnus

Magnus nods and climbs back aboard the vehicle.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

You set out toward the shrine. A final salute from Orelk is all the attention the natives pay to you, as they move about stripping the dead and collecting grisly trophies. You are about two days from the shrine, if you stop for the night, which Warrick and your experience so far suggest you do. Many of the pitfalls and crags in the broken landscape are almost impossible to spot at night.

As you move through the land, you note how continuously empty it seems. Few signs or stirrings of life are aparent, though flora does become more common as you head toward the shrine. The night passes uneventfully, the adrenaline from the days fight leaving you weary. In the morning, the sun comes up strong and bright, promising another hot day, though a good morning breeze keeps you comfortable for now.

The day progresses much the same, nothing but broken arid land surrounding you, as Warrick guides you around hidden canyons and rolling hills. At noon, you see the distant hill of the Shrine of Voran, shimmering in the heat haze. As evening draws close, you make out more detail.

The shrine itself is housed in a stone building at the top of the hill, roughly 40m in diameter. It is built from a mix of local and imported stone, giving it a patchwork look. There are a few outbuildings, most little more than huts and shacks, where the monks live. There is little activity as you approach, only a few robed men going about, looking purposeful but not hurried. As your truck draws to the edge of the little collection of huts, a monk steps in your path, holding up his hand for you to halt.

His head is shaved, in the manner of the order, and he wears a headband with the skull of some small animal woven into the center, so that it rests above his brow. He speaks in Low Gothic, accented with a hint of the native tongue.
    "What brings you to the Shrine of Voran? I am afraid we have nothing to trade at the moment, nor need of anything."

He waits, with an air of impatience, for your answer.
    Nihilus notices a strange atmosphere about the place, his psyker senses tickled by a hint of otherworldly activity. Not strong, certainly, the sensation seems akin to what is felt in the presence of a weak latent psyker, but it permeates the entire area.
    Spending most of my time on another forum.
    Awesome Daemonhost avatar by Fin.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Warrick

"Forgive our trespass, wise brother." Warrick said as he leapt from their vehicle and approached the monk. He walked with his hands open and out to his sides in a tribal gesture of peace, showing he was hiding no weapons in them. "We have traveled far and only wish for a space to rest until morning. Your order has never turned away a trader or traveler from my tribe before, so it was my decision to seek succor here. Of course, anything we can do to help we will gladly do in exchange for a night's rest." he said, bowing his head at the neck slightly.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quintus sits quietly in the vehicle, watching curiously as the two converse. And, as always, he has his hammer ready to clobber anyone suspiscous. Quintus also looks around, attempting to see if anyone is waiting to ambush the new acolyte.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d100)[57] needs to be under 31

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Sensing that the area is wreathed in an unnatural psychic resonance, Nihilus speaks in soft, hushed tones to the remainder of the group from the truck's interior, careful to turn from the monk, so as to preclude any chance of lip reading.

"Something is amiss here; this place is lit with psychic taint; dim but tangible. I suspect the book we seek may be in some way responsible. I'll do my best to obtain further information. Feign ignorance, but remain alert."

The psyker then makes a meticulous visual sweep of the area, while simutaneously impelling his senses into the unseen ethereal. He remains utterly silent in the commital of his awareness, focus and resolve absolute as he attempts to garner additional information.

Spoiler
    Show
    Psyniscience roll to detect hidden creatures: (1d100)[87] vs 26 Psynscience

Psyniscience roll to discern further information about psychic resonance/detect further psychic phenomena (1d100)[50] vs 36

Awareness roll to detect hidden creatures: (1d100)[34] vs 18 Awareness

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Magnus

Magnus nods and waits.

damned book
    don't take a look
    it's just the bait
    upon a hook
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #218

The monk's eyes narrow, and he opens his mouth somewhat angrily, then hesitates. He glances up to the Shrine, then back to you.
    "I'll have to speak with the Abbot. You may come with me or wait here, but the truck must stay."

Without waiting to see if you follow, he sets off up the path to the stone building at the top of the hill. Some of the other monks stop to watch you briefly, but they do not make eye contact, and hurry on when you glance their way.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quintus starts to feel tense. He turns to his allies, not knowing what to do.

"This man may be the key. I say we storm the place and ransack it until we find our objective. Also, that monk seemed like he noticed something about us. We should follow him while we can." and with that, Quintus jumps off, careful to hide his hammer before leaving the truck, walking towards where the monk left.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Warrick

Resting his hand easily on the hilt of his sword, the bounty hunter turned to see that the others were following before setting off after the monk. These holy men were usually terse, but polite people. The flash of anger that he'd seen on the monk's face was entirely out of character for them. There was something going on and he didn't like it.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Nihilus offers his team another cladestine warning.

"I cannot sense any further details about the psychic contamination, but it should be clear that the monks are not to be trusted. Exercise caution at all times; the presence of corruption is likely."

Falling in with the rest of the group, he remains vigilant and alert as they follow the irate ascetic inside, all of his senses wary for suspicious activity.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Magnus

Magnus follows behind, leaning on his duralloy staff as he goes.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Catching up to Warrick, Quintus whispers a question

"Do you have any aquaintances with these people? If so, good or bad? We might be overeacting over a tribal feud."

14. - Top - End - #224

The monk heads on up the hill, not glancing back once. At the Shrine building, he knocks once on the heavy wooden doors - imported and expensive, with golden inlays and scrollwork - which open immediately. He steps inside and gestures for you to follow. The entryway opens directly into the main chapel, a large open chamber with vaulted ceiling and a raised platform at the opposite end from you. Pews line most of the center, with seating for perhaps 200 people. Mosaics, paintings, and tapestries line the walls, depicting scenes of Ecclesiarchal history, mostly of Voran himself, and his ministry to the world. There are a handful of monks at their prayers among the pews, who do not glance up, even when the heavy doors are closed again by the two monks standing attendance on them.

The man who led you in takes his hood off and speaks to you.
    "Wait here. I will return shortly."

Again, without waiting for a reply, he heads off, to a side door in the main chamber. None of the holy men in the room pay any real attention to you, going about their business. It is only a few minutes, though it seems longer, when the man returns, following behind another robed figure. This one's robes are noticably finer, with trimming and embroidering abundant. Though nothing compared to the granduer of a Lord Bishop's regailia, he is obviously a higher rank than anyone you've seen so far. He too removes his hood as he reaches you, revealing a taught, sunken face, with hollow cheeks and dark eyes. He gives the appearance of a starving man, and his eyes are piercing, though kind.

"I am Father Geoffus. I apologize for my brother's rudeness, we are living in uncertain times, and tempers wear thin among some of us. You wished to stay the night? May I ask what brings you out here?"

His voice is strong, grandfatherly and calm, like a mountain hidden by pleasant clouds. It clashes somewhat with his emaciated features.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Warrick

Before going inside the Shrine, Warrick whispered back to Quintus. "The Black Sand trades with them sometimes, but we don't usually stay very long. They are usually quiet, but polite holy men. They're above any kind of tribal feud. They're servants of the Emperor just like us, so show them due respect."

Once inside, Warrick removed his own hood out of respect for the shrine and bowed to Father Geoffus when he appeared. "We are bounty hunters, Father, seeking a criminal who may be hiding nearby so we may bring him back to face the Emperor's Mercy. In exchange for a place to rest, is there anything we can do to help here? If something troubles the Shrine we would be remiss not to defend against it if we can."
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2008-09-18 at 11:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Distrustful of the Abbot, though somewhat disarmed by the benign quality of his speech, Nihilus remains silent and alert before the man regardless, impassive face betraying nothing of his wary thoughts. The Initiate's attentions then turn to the extradimensional, seeking to locate the existence of further psychic resonance from within the shrine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Psyniscience: (1d100)[87] vs 36

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Magnus

The albino bows his head, leaning on his staff. "I am an adept if you have any books you need categorized or translated."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

18. - Top - End - #228

"Bounty Hunters, I suspected as much. It has been a while since the last group came here. If you care to tell me who you are chasing, I will give any information I have. Otherwise, you are welcome to stay the night. A brother will show you to the shed we keep aside for visitors. Our water stores are at your disposal, as well." A very friendly gesture, given its scarcity on this world, you grow yet more perplexed by the disparity in attitudes of the monks and their abbot.

((Sorry, guys, had a lot of school work this weekend, I kept forgetting to update this. It'll be better through the week, since I always have time to update it at work.))
    Last edited by Prophaniti; 2008-09-22 at 01:05 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quintus bowed his head and placed his hammer on the ground, leaning on it as he bowed. Though the man seemed kind, Quintus just did not feel right. Still, he kept a calm face, not revealing any thought against the man through his face.

"Father, the Eccliesiarchy has some interest in a book containing false phrases against the Emperor. If the book is here, please lead it to me and I will be on my way. I'm sure that if it's here, a holy man of your stature will help us. Agreed?"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Magnus

Magnus stood perfectly still, his face a mask of calm, his fingers gripped so tightly around his staff that they would be white... if they weren't already.

I must not kill my compatriots, no matter how stupidly they act...
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Warrick

The bounty hunter shot Quintus a glance...and not a very nice one. "His name is Eriot Ferk. This planet would be much easier to bear without him staining its surface, Father." Warrick interrupted, stepping discreetly in front of Quintus. Thank you for your hospitality, Father. We will retire for now. Be sure to let us know if you need anything done around the Shrine. We would be glad to assist in any way we can."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232

"I... see. A book? I assure you, my brother, we have a modest enough library, and every volume within it is sanctioned by the Lord Bishop of this sector. Still, you are welcome to look, if you wish. It is through there."
    He gestures to one of the side doors off the main chapel.

"Eriot Ferk? The name reminds me of something... Let me see. Ah, that's right. A group did come through here, perhaps a week ago. I am not certain, but I believe one of them was called 'Ferk' by his companions."

For Warrick's eyes only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The abbot makes a surreptitious gesture where only you can see. It is a gesture in the hand-sign of the native tribes meaning "I see the quarry"

"If I recall, they went into the mountains, looking for a specific mine. The mine's tale is long, but people believe it is cursed. The mine is rich enough to continue to attract prospectors, however. I can show you on our maps approximately where it is."

He turns and gestures for you to follow, leading you into another room where rolled parchaments and scrolls and books litter shelves and clutter every surface. He begins rumaging through a particular drawer, drawing out maps, glancing at them and tossing them aside. He continues.

"I apologize again for by brothers' rudeness. As I said, tensions are somewhat high. Many have seen signs and portents in the stars, the sky, and the earth this past week, myself included. We cannot come to concensus on their meanings, and the brothers argue about them constantly. I will not be surprised if a few of them come to blows soon, and I pray the Emperor might guide us and keep us one. Ah, here."

He unfurls a map, which you quickly see lays out a section of the northern mountains.

"Here." he says, stabbing his finger down on an unremarkable peak, not far into the mountains. "This is where the mine is supposed to be. Will you be able to find it from this?"
    He looks questioningly at Warrick.
    Last edited by Prophaniti; 2008-09-22 at 08:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quintus bows his head in thanks to the father.
    "Thank you father, i shall seek the book in your library. As well, I shall pray for you."

Pulling out his charm, he attempts to pray with the father, praying for him, trying to make their attitudes better.

After an successful prayer, Quintus stood and bowed once again. Then he spun towards the library and walked towards it, boots clanking on the ground.

Then, he walks towards the library, carefully checking to see if anyone was wielding or was in possesion of a weapon.

Seeing that nobody was in possesion of a weapon, he continued towards the library, still a little cautious but incredibly less than before.

Looking at the books, Quintus attempts to look for the book, and any other book that has an interesting topic or title.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:(1d100)[96]needs to be under 31
    Fellowship:(1d100)[41]needs to be under 48
    Last edited by zergling001; 2008-09-24 at 05:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Warrick

Warrick studied the map carefully for a moment before nodding, "Yes, Father, it should work just fine. You have our thanks."

He looked back at his new companions, knowing that they too would have connected the mine to the reports from his tribesmen that offworlders had been seen in the mountains recently. Everything pointed in that direction now. Warrick would have liked to travel by night and reach the mountains by dawn, but he knew that they all needed rest. Besides, something still troubles him about the Shrine.

"Father, could I speak to you in private for a moment?" Warrick asked. He needed to verify what the monk had meant with the hand gesture he'd used. I see the quarry. Did that mean there was something here? Did he recognize Eriot Ferk as a codename? Or did he simply mean that the mines are definitely their target? Whatever it was, he used the hand signal for a reason and obfuscating its importance from the others for the moment was necessary.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2008-09-24 at 06:09 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Magnus

Magnus quietly follows the zealot, watching him quietly, making sure he damages nothing.

Is it another test... putting us with an insane companion?
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-09-24 at 08:43 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #236

Father Geoffus raises an eyebrow at Warrick, but nods and heads toward his office.

For Warrick:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I apologize for being necessarily vague. You were the one to speak the code, though it took me a moment to remember it. It's one of a handful of phrases I was taught many years ago. A man came, showing signs of high authority, and instructed me to give information and assistance to any who spoke them. I was uncertain whether the rest of your group knows what you must, to know that name."

"As far as the man you chase, I heard his name only once, when they came through. Rolf or Rald or somesuch. Still, something about him was odd. I have been a priest of the Emperor for many decades, I feel I can sense evil men, and he certainly felt that way. He seemed the only man that could possibly interest a group like you."

He sighs deeply, and years are suddenly added to his face and bearing, his shoulders stooping.
    "Something is wrong on Lacusta, I have begun to sense it lately. These signs and portents are warnings to me. An evil approaches, or is already here. I pray this man is the cause, and that you find him and take him away. I came out here to retire in peace and contemplation, not to have the storms of the galaxy follow me. I am far older than I look."

He straightens back up and regains his calm and composure.
    "I'm sure you have better things to do than listen to the ramblings of an old man. May the Emperor guide your hunt, friend."

Quintus finds no heretical texts in the Shrine Library, there being only a sparse collection to begin with. Most of them are well-known, such as Torlan's The Emperor, Guillam's Treastise On Faith, and the anonymously authored Holy Places: A Catalogue of Important Sites in the Calixis Sector.
    Last edited by Prophaniti; 2008-09-25 at 08:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Magnus

Magnus is also glancing over the library, and when he sees the anonymous work that he isn't familiar with, he takes it up reverently and begins looking through it.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glancing around to make sure no man was looking, Quintus pockets the books. To Magnus he simply states:
    "These may be important for the later journeys. Especially the Calaxian Sector book. My head has been forgetting many things. I'm sure the father will understand..."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Warrick

Warrick's head bowed just slightly in thanks. "You have been most helpful, Father. You have our thanks. Rest assured that we will take this taint from the planet you and I both call home and leave you to your much deserved peace." He made the sign of his people that meant long life and good hunting, one hand closed over the other wrist and held in front of his chest with two fingers extended on the free hand. Then he turned to head back towards the library where the others had gone. He didn't think they'd be finding any heretical tomes in the Shrine, but it was entirely possible that they had found some inspiration in the words of the Emperor's holy saints.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Magnus

As Quintus tries to take the Calaxian sector book directly out of Magnus' hands, the albino jerks the book back out of reach, closes it and sets his staff between himself and Quintus. "Do... not... ever... try to take something out of my hands again." He looks down at Quintus' pouch... "While you are at it... you can return those to where you got them. On the damnedhulk, thievery from the commons was punishable by death."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald