New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default End of Ages (DnD 4e)

Korwin Veros looked out over the camp and sighed in disappointment. There were so many sites to search, and so little time to search them.

It had taken two weeks of struggling through the Groaming Woods to reach the valley. Every tree and rock seemed to plot against them, making the march that should have taken a week take twice the time. Now the weather was promising an early snow.

There just wasn't enough time.

"Lorc." Korwin said, turning to his Tiefling assistant. "Get the teams assembled. We need them to start searching as soon as possible."

It has been a hard, if quiet journey to this forgotten valley. Not so much as a wolf troubled the expedition, let alone the legendary dangers that the people of Milford loved to talk about. Yet there is a sense of relief in the other members of the expedition, now that they are sleeping under the stars, instead of the Groaming's thick canopy.

The valley itself was once the site of a massive lake, one that has long dried up. Yet all around the valley are overgrown ruins of old forts, razed by gnolls but a century ago.

As the expedition prepares the watch and to bed down for the night, its leader, the half-elf Korwin Veros and his assistant Lorc call for attention.

"We have lost far too much time on the road." Veros announces. "And we have not a moment to waste. You are to be broken into teams and given your duties. And as an encouragement to move quickly, the first team to complete their task will receive one thousand pieces of gold to share amongst themselves."

With that, Lorc steps forward and begins to read names from the roster.

"The first team will consist of Terridus Roth, Rolondo Garret, Galin Hammerhand, Sgran Firemantle, Daamatka the tiefling, Sariel the eladrin, and the warforged known as Watchtower. Please congregate over by the mess tent, and someone will be over in a minute to give you your order."
    Last edited by Occult Priest; 2008-06-11 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Group is so big I forgot a name.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: End of Ages (DnD 4e)

Always "the Tiefling". Never just my name. Daamatka thought as he walked toward the mess tent at a slow pace. He was a bit out of shape, luckily he had a caravan to ride in most of the time. The few times he walked were at a slow pace so he could keep up. Luckily his newfound powers didn't rely on physical power.

He arrived in short time to the mess tent and looked at his companions. He eyed the warforged critically, recalling only a couple things about them. He remained silent, waiting for whoever was supposed to give them orders to show up.

(Arcana Check (1d20+5)[24]
    I probably have a higher bonus, but I can't pull up my character sheet at the moment. I'm checking my knowledge of Warforged... assumed Arcana is the right one?)
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Hearing her name called out she quickly got up and out of her tent, looking over the caravan. This was the entourage of a lord in this world, how dreadfully dull, not to mention the quaintness of them specifying her species. Like there were countless other Sariels of other races out there.

As she thought about these things she weaved through the crowds, seemingly unimpeded by the movement of the people around her as she used the skills her dance lessons had taught her. Getting close to the tent she decided to make her entrance more dramatic as she stepped out of reality to reappear next to the tiefling and the walking suit of armor.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Within the mess tent, Watchtower poured water for member's of Korwin's weary company as the announcement was made.

"As Pelor sees to nourish the fields with his cleansing rains, so too let this water nourish your bodies with his blessing."

Upon hearing his name, he gave a friendly nod and stood attention outside the tent-the very image of a sentinel. A slight bow (albeit stiff and mechanical) was given to each member as they approached.

Good day friends. I find myself blessed to be in your company."

5. - Top - End - #5

Rolondo was obviously disappointed to be out of the woods with not so much as a GLIMPSE of a single ghost. "Haunted, haunted?" He wondered aloud as he was drawing a ghost in the dirt. "I wanted some ghost stories!" It had been an uneventful trip through the woods for Rolondo. He was ever alert for the things of rumors he had heard about in the woods, but nothing ever showed. Deep down inside, he was glad to have a safe journey, but on the surface of his mind, he was kind of hoping they would find SOMETHING. Besides, he was starting to get bored!

He was brought out of his artistic expression by the sound of someone calling his name, and telling him to report to the mess tent. Upon arrival and seeing his teammates, Rolondo couldnt help but notice the large metal man standing outside the tent. "Oh! Is that one of those warfixed? Or was it warforged?" he thought to himself. A sly grin slowly crossed his face. Things were starting to get interesting!
    Last edited by Kabump; 2008-06-12 at 05:27 PM.
    Avatar made by ME! I think I did well!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

(Actually McMindflayer, Warforged are Natural Humanoids, meaning they are covered under the Nature skill. But an Arcana roll that high gets you the following.)

Daamatka has heard of warforged before, but this is the first time he's seen one. Its far too independent to be a typical animate, and it's creation would have required a tremendous expenditure of power and resources.

(By the way everyone, I've created an Out of Character thread. For right now though I'll give everyone a little time to get introduced.)

7. - Top - End - #7

Sgarn hefts himself to his feet, stowing his sword over his right shoulder, his pack over his left. He glances around, looking over the heads of those standing near him and begins walking to the mess tent.

Letting his size clear a path through the crowds, Sgarn spots the gathering of most unusual looking people and makes his way there. He stops near the others and stoops down letting his pack slide to the ground, giving each an appraising look. One corner of his mouth turns up, revealing long fangs. "A tiefling, an eladrin, a warforged, a halfling, and a dragonborn. There's a joke in here somewhere." Sgarn straightens back up, again looking over the heads of the crowds. "Two more yet."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

A man approaches who is tall for an eladrin, but still very lean. He has short, rough auburn hair and green eyes. He wears faded green and silver chain armor, with the symbol of a raven holding an orchid in its beak emblazoned on the chest. He wears a black cloak adorned with tiered raven feathers, and if you check the back you find that it bears the insignia of the Raven Queen.

On his right side is the loosely resting scabbard of a longsword, and hanging next to it is a small pouch.

He nods slightly as he approaches. "Greetings, gentlemen. You seem like a competent lot, I'm awaiting a productive expedition."
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

"Obviously there is a joke in here, i just hope it is good. Though it probably will be seeing as how this group is entirely more interesting than most i have seen so far. Could surprise though." She grins slightly as she looks over the gathered group, taking note of their various strange outfits and species. "As the announcement for us to gather here surely made you realize, my name is Sariel. I'm an eladrin from the great freehold of Cloudrest. I hope i can be of your service, from my travels here it seems like this place could need her." Her statement is ended with an elaborate, sweeping bow done just enough that it is hard to tell if it was genuinely felt or just some sort of joke.

10. - Top - End - #10

Sgarn turns his attention to Sariel, fixing her in his red-eyed gaze. He tilts his head to the side ever so slightly, watching her performance. "Well met, Lady Sari. I am Sgarn Firemantle." Sgarn bows a plain half-bow, never so low that Sariel leaves his field of vision. "It is my own hope that we work well together."

11. - Top - End - #11

Rolondo lets out a little chuckle as he watches his teammates bowing to each other. "Well I was just going to say hello, but it seems that it won't be enough!" Rolondo dips into a playfully mocking bow, and comes up with a large grin on his face."My name is Rolondo, and I am pleased to meet your acquaintances." Once again he lets out a little chuckle and walks over to the large dragonborn. "And might I say that you are quite the large one! How's the weather up there? I'm kidding friend, kidding!" He smiles, does a quick jump and pats the dragonborn on the back, landing on the ground in a sitting position quite pleased with his spectacular introduction.

12. - Top - End - #12

SwashbucklerGuy

"I should hope it is a good joke. I am most curious what cultural viewpoint it would originate from. Due to the diversity of our party, one might conclude it would be Human, as they are not represented."

Watchtower rambles a few more seconds dissecting the potential joke before stopping himself.

"Ah, very sorry. My desire to understand humor is often in direct contrast to its enjoyment. I am Watchtower, instrument to the will of Pelor.

Watchtower turns to Sgarn, and though stonefaced, it is quite obvious he is in good spirits.

Ah! Good sir, I see you bear the visage of Bahamut! A fine and noble God to guide the stalwart. If you would be willing, time allowing, I would be most interested in discussing his teachings.
    Last edited by HardboiledJJ; 2008-06-13 at 05:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I guess since everyone else is introducing themselves, I should say something eh?" Said Daamatka, "Now, I am kind of old to be doing any fancy bowing and flourishes like you all. But my name is Daamatka." He had his hands on a walking stick he had used for the journey here. Not much use in a battle, but he already had that covered. He looked among them all. He had seen some of the races before, most came into his shops he's held over time. But Watchtower. He hasn't seen a warforged at all. They apperntly didn't frequent his places. He walked up to the being. "You are a most interesting specimen, if I must say so. But You aren't a specimen are you. But a person. Hmm." He spoke with enthuisasm and a spark in his eyes. He truly was interested in Watchtower. "I should wish to speak with you at a later time about you. But now is not exactly the time for such things is it? Hmm." He stroked his white goatee slowly.
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

14. - Top - End - #14

Sgarn gives a blank look at the little rabbit sitting beside him, then turns his attention to Watchtower and Daamatka. "Yes, I do bear Bahamut's colors. I am dedicated to his holy service. That is the crest of Pelor you bear is it not? I would be most pleased in discussing the high dragon with you, Watchtower." The 'tcht' in watchtower coming out more as 'tsht'. "Then you would be a scholar Master Daamatka?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Sariel grinned slightly at the comments of the dragonborn as she looked over the other two speakers. "Seems like he is indeed. Though what a scholar would want to head into the wilderness for is beyond me, entertainment perhaps? If he managed to get hired he will probably be useful, though. A wizard perhaps?" Her hand brushes the gilded hilt of her sword. "My father was disappointed when i didn't choose to pursue those studies. Family honor and the like." As she speaks she lets out a little giggle, though one with an undercurrent of something that isn't enjoyment. "I guess i gave him more to be disappointed in than that, so who cares?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Not officially no. Not a Scholar. I am much to old to be learning about the many things they teach in those newfound colleges and such. I am but a humble tradesman. I just interest myself in intellectual curiosities. Magic and the like, you know." He said with a simple smile. "And Mr. Watchtower here, is one such magical curiosity.

He turns his attention the Eladrin "My reasoning to come here is my own. But if you must know, I felt obligated to help out others in my community. If I feel that the community needs help, I will. And I did feel so." He said, and decided to keep quiet on the part of father's and their wishes. Some people hated their parents up until someone spoke poorly of said parents. Best not to anger someone of such mystical background.
    Last edited by McMindflayer; 2008-06-14 at 10:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Rolondo hops up to his feet and walks over to join the others conversing. "I came to see the ghosts in the forest personally." He says, a hint of disappointment in his voice. He pauses for a moment, and a gleam shines in his eyes before he speaks again. "But the 1000 gold reward for doing whatever it is they want us do is seems to be just as good, don't you agree? I wonder what I'll buy first... For that matter, I wonder what is is we are supposed to do?" Distracted by the conflicting thoughts, Rolondo appears lost in thought, his mind switching between dreams of gold and wondering what exciting adventures await. A few moments later, he looks back up. "Im sure whatever it is we should be able to handle it! You guys look like some strong people." Rolondo turns and points at Daamatka. "Even gramps over there looks capable! Not to mention intimidating! He lets out a chuckle, and habitually strokes his sideburns. Gazing over the gathered party, Rolondo cant help but think that a small guy like is lucky to be paired up with such large targets. Hes learned in the past thats usually enough for him to not be noticed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Terridus

"Ghosts, Rolondo?" Terridus leans forward, his face and tone solid. "What exactly is your interest in such matters?"
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The camp is abuzz with men and women in preparation for their tasks as you get to know your companions. After a time, Lorc breaks away from his task and walks over to you.

"Well, now that you're all assembled..." He pauses, sweeping the camp with his blood red eyes.

"Where's Hammerhand?" He asks, calling out to one of the guards to find the missing dwarf. Shaking his head, he pulls a few notes from his pocket and turns back to the task at hand.

"There's an old fortress at the crest of the valley, called Alor's Watch. It fell to the Gnollish Hordes along with the rest of the Nearth Empire over a hundred years ago. The fort was relatively unimportant from a strategic point of view, but we have reason to believe that it might have been used to hide the activities of a cabal of wizards."

Lorc hands Daamatka a diagram of a jaggedly carved tablet covered in a winding, flowing script that you cannot read.

"This is what you are looking for. It is a piece black basalt covered in writing similar to that in the diagram. It will likely be kept in a hidden vault in the lowest part of the fort. You may keep any other objects that you find as payment in addition to the bonus that is available if you find it quickly enough."

"The fort itself is two days travel up the mountain. If there are no questions, I suggest you get moving as soon as possible."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Sariel looked over Daamatka's shoulder to see the writing. This was kinda interesting actually, more so than the mud that made up the majority of this world at least.

"I have a question that i think is rather important. Where exactly in the mountains are we supposed to look? A two-day walk can get us to a variety of places. Also any idea what we may encounter? The proximity of this forest to the Feywild can make it dangerous, this world is much more peaceful and non-threatening than my home so i can assure you that we would be in danger should we stumble into the world i am from. Just a friendly warning to all of you. I would not tangle with most of the creatures that live there." As she say the last line her hand brushes over the hilt of her sword again as if to reinforce what she is saying or perhaps reassure her that it is still there should she meet anything like that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lorc hands Sariel another piece of paper, this one with a map of the valley drawn on it. The map seems rather hastily drawn but notes the location of the base camp in the center of the valley, the path through the forest back to Milford to the northeast, and a rough marking of the fortress to the north east.

"The road that used to supply the Watch has been reclaimed by the forest, but you may be able to find enough of its remains to follow up to the fort if you choose to look for it." Lorc explained. "Another approach would be to climb to the crest of the valley and search along it until you find the ruins.

"As for the Feywild, I'm afraid that I don't know how close to it's borders the fort or its surroundings lie. It was far off in the days of the Empire, but Feywild's have never been known for being predictable. I'm sure that you will be able to deal with anything that attempts to stop you."
    Last edited by Occult Priest; 2008-06-15 at 08:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Sgarn gives the diagram a cursory glance, then leans back a little and folds his arms. These sorts of ancient writings and bits of history are really better left to those who spend their time in study, certainly not Sgarn's forte. Even still, what might it be and what purpose might it serve?
    "What sort of provisions and supplies will we have access to for this? How large is this stone with swirls of yours, and aside from 'don't smash it' any special handling instructions?"
    Sgarn scratches under his chin with a taloned finger.
    "It fairly well goes without saying we'll find something unsavory while we're out, why else all the sell swords, but is there something or someone in particular we should be wary of, especially after we have your stone?"

23. - Top - End - #23

"What exactly is the thing anyway? And whats with all the fancy letters?" Rolondo was intrigued by this mysterious stone, but what really caught his attention was the mention of keeping anything they may find in the keep. 1000 gold AND free stuff? This was almost to good to be true! "Eh no matter, I'm sure you guys have your reasons for wanting this swirly stone. I say we get going, we certainly aren't gonna get our 1000 gold bonus just standing here! I don't want anyone else finding it before us, assuming its even still there! Hey! What if it ISN'T still there? Thats certainly not our fault right? We still get to keep our discoveries right? I sure hope so! Anyway, I'm ready to go if you guys are!" Rolondo does a quick check of his equipment to make sure everything is there, then stretches in anticipation of the upcoming trek. Treasure was infinitely more interesting than stupid ghosts ANY day.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"The stone itself is about the size of a fist and should be safe to handle." Lorc said before indicating a tent with a number of sellswords gathered around it. "As for provisions, each of you will be provided with whatever materials the quartermaster can spare, but I doubt he will be able to provide much more than standard 'adventuring' fare.

"The reason we have taken on so many sellswords was due to the Groaming Woods reputation for hidden dangers, as well as the need for bodies to do the actual labor. We don't have the funds or supplies to spend the next year turning over every rock after all."

Looking down at the halfling, he continued.

"I have been told that the tablet has historic value to the faithful of Ioun, which is why they are financing this expedition. If it isn't there, then you may keep whatever you find but will not receive the bonus.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have other groups to speak with. Hopefully someone will send Hammerhand your way. Whatever happens, try to be back within one week. That's when we're heading back to Milford, and we don't have the time to go searching for you."

With that, Lorc walked off and disappeared into the crowd.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: If you want to get any equipment, the quartermaster has a few adventuring packs left, but is keeping them down to one per person. If you already have one, he isn't going to let it go.
    Last edited by Occult Priest; 2008-06-15 at 09:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

After hearing Lorc mention the quartermaster, Rolondo decides that perhaps he isn't as prepared as he thinks he is. "Actually, Im going to see if the quartermaster has anything interesting. Ill be right back!" With that he breaks off into a sprint to the quartermaster. He returns a minute or so later. "Nah, nothing fun. But I did pick up a few things I had forgotten! NOW im ready to go, for real this time!"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I purchased 2 extra daggers, and 2 sets of shurikens for a total of 4g. This has been noted on my character sheet. (From 28 to 24 gold).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    I would like to make an Insight check for what the man says to us (Just in case) And an Arcana check to see if I can understand/realize what these tablets are. I am a follower of Ioun and a magic vendor who takes interests in these things, hopefully I know of a rumor or soemthing.
    insight - (1d20+5)[8]
    arcana - (1d20+7)[26]
    I have no money, but can I get one of those adventuring packs?

Daamatka looks carefully at the tablet and uses his fingers to follow the archaic handwriting. He kept all musings to himself however, and tried to think of any other objections or questions he should have. But the others seemed to have gotten it all answered. He then realized, after the man had left, that he still held the tablet. "Hmm, He forgot the tablet. I am unsure if we should bring it. It would help identify the object of our search, but I don't wish to break the only one we have, if we don't come across one in the old fort." He pauses and turns to Watchtower and Sgarn. "Could either of you two look after it? You both look like rather big me-... Beings. I'm afraid that my strength has left me long ago, and I don't feel the item is safe within my hands."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    After careful examination, Daamatka is sure that the writing on the diagram is Supernal, the language of Immortals. The shape and composition also suggests a connection to the Tiefling Empire of ages past.

OOC: By the way, Lorc didn't give Daamatka an actual tablet, he gave him a diagram of one.
    Last edited by Occult Priest; 2008-06-16 at 05:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

She looked over the gathered people, a friendly, if slightly odd, smile on her face as she did so. "But if we all are ready then let's be off. The bonus sounds nice and i could easily do without being in this mudhole any longer. I think Daamatka should keep the diagram, he is the one of us most likely to be able to understand it should we get separated."

29. - Top - End - #29

Question Re: End of Ages (DnD 4e)

Spoiler
    Show
    I also want to make an intuition check just to be sure our employer isn't trying to pull something sneaky.
    Intuition - (d20+6)[24]

Sgarn checks everything in his pack, repacks, and secures it all. He glances up at his companions. "I'm not so concerned about any bonus, but a two day walk there and another two days back. That leaves us three days to turn an entire fort inside out looking for a single stone the size of a hand that might not even be there." Sgarn tightens the straps around his bag with a jerk. "That's not counting whatever we find in the fort that will have made its home there." After tying the bag to his satisfaction, Sgarn takes four descent sized rocks and piles them in front of him. "May I see the map for a moment?" He spreads the map out on the ground using a rock at each corner to keep it flat. Looking at the map, touching one finger to the base camp, another to the fort, tracing the path up the mountains to the fort. "The silver lining in our cloud is that from the description we have, the stone looks to be worthless unless you know what it is. So, if it ever was at the fort, it is likely to remain there even after all these years."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Lorc comes across to Sgarn as a warrior saddled with administrative duty; giving his all to perform his duty, regardless of how tedious he finds it. He gives orders to deal with problems as they come up, answers questions and explains the job to ensure each team is prepared, and then moves on to do it again. He is brisk and professional, but the annoyance is there if you look for it.

Sgarn also notice that Lorc didn't answer Rolondo's questions about what the tablet is and what letters are or mean.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Sorry Daamatka, forgot to write a response about getting an adventurer kit. You can find one for free, but it's a bit used. It has a tattered and frayed backpack and bedroll, two torches, 25 feet of rope, a waterskin and three days of trail rations.