New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: End of Ages (DnD 4e)

Damaatka puts the peice of paper into his pack, along with his new survival gear. It was worn, but he would just have to live with it. He hoped he could.
    "Well, If it's been up there for a long time, we'd get lucky and only have to search the underground of the fort. The above ground portions must have dehabilitated with time. I can't see it having a second floor." Replied the Tiefling. "So it shouldn't take that long to search through if we just stick to it." He Paused and looked into the forest, then at the rest of the parties around the area. some seemed to be heading out. "Well, with our map we should head out. Can't waste daylight, unless you plan on walking in the dark, of which I don't.
    Last edited by McMindflayer; 2008-06-16 at 08:22 PM.
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The camp quickly disappears behind you as make your way into the woods. The sounds of life echo around you in the perpetual twilight under the thick canopy.

Spoiler
    Show
    So... how do you intend to get to and find the fort?
    Last edited by Occult Priest; 2008-06-16 at 10:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I concur. The prospect of exploring these ruins is enticing, and I believe I could describe myself as anxious to begin the expedition..

In no time the warforged stood ready to march.

4. - Top - End - #34

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless anyone has a better idea, I figure we'll point ourselves in a Northeasterly direction and hope to run across the trail going up to the fort as we get closer. Assuming the fort is acting as home to a reasonably large menagerie of critters, which is usually the case with buildings left to rot, there'll be tons of assorted tracks in the immediate area of the fort to let us know we're close. If we are unlucky enough to get to the crest of the valley without finding the fort, then we'll have to travel along that looking for the place.
    A couple perception checks to try spotting the road should we cross it, as well as trying to spot anything unexpected we might run across.
    Perception - (d20+6)[24]
    Perception - (d20+6)[25]
    Perception - (d20+6)[20]

Sgarn walks with his companions, eyes and ears alert. "Eyes open everyone. Aside from whatever critters are out here looking for lunch, we should run across that old trail Lorc mentioned as we travel. If we are unlucky and fail to find any trail before we reach the crest of the valley..." He snorts "We'll cross that bridge should we come to it."

5. - Top - End - #35

Spoiler
    Show

Ill be keeping my eyes open as we walk along, looking for said trails, as well as anything else that might be lurking around.
    [b]Perception - (d20+5)[19]

"Bridge? Lorc didn't mention anything about a bridge! Is it a big bridge? I bet it probably is." Obviously misunderstanding Sgarn's words, Rolondo eyes the surroundings as the group walks. While his attitude might label him as relaxed, his eyes are alertly darting around as they walk, and his right hand is always close to where his dagger hangs on his left hip. He dips back into the middle of the group as they walk, not wanting to be in either the front or rear of the group.
    Avatar made by ME! I think I did well!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Terridus

Terridus follows the group. Every several minutes his hands trail across each of his weapons, subconciously checking their position. He watches each speaker intently, but says nothing.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

"Sounds like a good plan, Sgarn. I trust you to lead the way then, as you are clearly more experienced with this than the rest of us." She sent the dragonborn her most winning smile as she gazed over the forests surrounding them, seeming quite relaxed as she did so taking it almost too easily. "Do any of you know anything about the local wildlife? What we should be on the lookout for, apart from the trails and any possible fey beasts there might be. Though if we meet any of those it is probably the end, they are likely faster than us and are definitely stronger." She giggled a bit as she said so. "The Feywild just refuses to do anything undramatically and that includes animals. You should see the panthers back home. They are nearly invisible and completely silent, moving with the grace of the eladrin and they are just the bottom of the food chain when it comes to predators."

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope it is alright i give a little information on fey panthers, but it would be hard to get by without any knowledge at all about the world you grew up in.

Anyway perception checks. Since i have no bonus they are just straight d20 rolls and i'll make a few just to be certain.

(1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[8]
    (1d20)[1]

8. - Top - End - #38

SwashbucklerGuy

Along with Rolondo, Watchtower fell into place in the middle. He enjoyed being in the middle of a group. So much more interaction.

"Ah, good sir Rolondo. I believe the bridge mentioned by our fine knight of Bahamut is in fact metaphorical. The phrase seems to indicate to wait until further difficulties arrive and then deal with them accordingly. Hmmm. . .but I did not look at the map. I suppose it would not be unheard of for there to be a rope bridge across a cavern. I find your curiosity most infectious.
    Last edited by HardboiledJJ; 2008-06-17 at 09:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

"Hah!" A grin plays about scaly lips as Sgarn waggles a taloned finger in the air. "Put the big guy up front so whatever eats him will be too weighed down to chase us." The grin fades while Sgarn ducks under a low branch and tromps through underbrush. "Honestly, your guess is as good as mine Sari. My wilderness training consisted of learning to keep alert and follow tracks along with the barest bits of navigation and survival. I fell far short of learning to identify most creatures I see, much less by tracks and habitat." Sgarn emits a cross between a chuckle and a growl. "Too much spit and fire, not enough cunning and guile."
    A few paces ahead of the others, Sgarn looks back over his shoulder making sure everyone is keeping pace. "My bridge isn't real, or if it is, it'll be as much as a surprise to me as it is everyone else." Glancing up to check where the sun is in the sky, "If it is real though, hopefully it will be in good repair, Watsht... Wastsht" Sgarn sighs heavily. "Toc. It's clear you're not clockwork, but I'm afraid that's all the more clever I am." Sgarn looks at Watchtower apologetically. "Toc and I would likely have trouble crossing an old rope bridge."

Spoiler
    Show
    Since we're concerned about a snow, albeit an early one, I'm guessing we're mid to late autumn. That'd give us something like 12-14 hours of usable daylight? If we left reasonably quickly after being given our instructions, that'd give us how long before visibility becomes an issue? What kind of plant life are we walking through at the moment? I'm envisioning a reasonably wooded area with a bit of underbrush, but not so thick that it would really slow down a group on foot.
    Unless someone says something specific, we can probably assume Sgarn will be taking point from here out should a marching order be required.

10. - Top - End - #40

"Hmm really, Tower? Not a real bridge huh. Boy I really misunderstood that! But wouldn't it be pretty neat if there was a bridge?" Having been corrected on his misinterpretation, he looks up to Sgarn in the lead. "Well I certainly wouldn't be anything but a snack if I were in the lead, Sgarn! You look like you can handle yourself should anything try to eat you at least! Would give me time to sneak up behind it and take care of it for you too!" Rolondo says with a chuckle. With thoughts of being eaten now in his head, Rolondo looks over to the sides again, taking a look to see if he sees anything. "I might not know much about wildlife, but that over there is, without a doubt, a tree." Rolondo points to a large tree mater-of-factly as he looks over their surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show

I will stay in the middle of the pack. That will let me start with some cover should we run into any nasties, and hopefully let me get into hiding for positioning. Im also gonna drop a few more perception checks while we walk. Also, I had a mental image of our surroundings similar to Zrin, so Im assuming we are on some sort of trail through some woods.

Perception Checks

(d20+5)[22]
    (d20+5)[20]
    Last edited by Kabump; 2008-06-17 at 07:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: If Sgarn is leading the group, we'll focus on he's perception rolls and use the others as aids.

Kabump, your mental image is correct.

You have about 13 hours of light available to you.

The thick underbrush makes going slow, but the banter that fills the time makes it pleasant.

Sgarn spots the remains of an old road marker two hours into the hike, after Rolondo had climbed on top of it in order to get a better view of the land.

Following the road cuts the travel time in half, and by the sun is setting, you have made it half-way up the side of the valley and should be at the fort by sundown tomorrow if you rest now.

The trip has been quite uneventful, but you have already noticed that the game trails and signs of animals are becoming scarcer and scarcer. Even as the sun sets the only sounds you hear are the cries of large cats.
    Last edited by Occult Priest; 2008-06-17 at 09:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

SwashbucklerGuy

"Fear not good knight. The name you give me is a gift. I will take pride in it. It is, after all, my fist nickname as you would call it."

Though the trip is otherwise uneventful, Watchtower enjoys himself. In passing he asks Sariel and Terridus more about the Feywild-though he is respectful if Terridus chooses to maintain his silence. In the meanwhile the warforged unknowingly continues to play straightman to Rolondo's free spirit.

As the sun sets, and it looks as if the group may be setting camp, Watchtower utters a quiet prayer.

"Good night old friend. I shall remain ever watchful until you return come morning."

13. - Top - End - #43

In the setting sun, Sgarn pitches a tent in a little spot just off the trail cleared of underbrush. He then sets about seeing to a safe as possible spot for a fire close to the tent. "With all that noise we'll definitely want a watch. Those sleeping can stay in the tent while watchers tend the fire. We should keep it burning if we can, it will keep the bigger of the night hunters away. Or maybe it will attract them? I can never remember." He pauses for a minute or two staring into the small orange flames of the fledgling fire wearing a curious expression, then blinks and looks up suddenly. "Um, do you sleep Toc?"
    Sgarn sits close to the fire, its light keeping the dark at bay and warmth warding against the night's chill. Munching at his rations, listening to the others talk, tossing in his two cents from time to time. "I'll turn in early and take the last watch. Given how long nights are getting we'll probably all be up before dawn's light lets us start moving again anyways. Stay sharp friends, and stay warm." He raises his waterskin in a make-shift toast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception roll for Sgarn's watch
    Perception - (d20+6)[9]

14. - Top - End - #44

SwashbucklerGuy

I do not need to sleep per se. My sytem will need approximately 4 hours to recalibrate, however I will be able to maintain watch the full time.

While the others eat and drink, Watchtower begins his "rest", so as to be alert for the majority of the night. Meanwhile he enjoys the company of those around.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The night passes uneventfully and you awaken refreshed and ready for day. After finishing a quick breakfast, you continue the hike up to the fort.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please roll Perception checks for the hike. While I wait for the numbers to come in, you can roleplay anything you want to about breakfast.

16. - Top - End - #46

Rolondo wakes up quickly. While he is one to enjoy his sleep, its never an issue for him to be up and ready to go. "Eat up guys, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! I heard some really big guy say that once, so it has some merit to it. He was even bigger than YOU, Toc!" Rolondo quickly finishes his breakfast, then gathers up all his gear. Once he is sure he has everything, he goes over to Watchtower and begins to converse with him in casual conversation, since it appears for once that someone actually enjoys conversing with the talkative halfling!

Spoiler
    Show

Perception checks for our hike.
    (d20+5)[12]
    (d20+5)[23]

edited to reflect we haven't left camp yet. Thats what I get for posting when still half asleep
    Last edited by Kabump; 2008-06-19 at 03:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

SwashbucklerGuy

Perception rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[18]
    (1d20+4)[20]

That seems appropriate advice, as organic constructs require foodstuffs to fuel their movement. Fuel consumption after exertion would be inefficient.

The metal man does not eat, but takes pleasure in preparing breakfast for the others. Sadly, the mindset of cooking food as fuel does not always lead to the tastiest meal. . .even if it is efficient.

18. - Top - End - #48

Spoiler
    Show
    I noticed after I'd posted that fully half the party doesn't sleep, so it's kinda silly to set up watches when three of us are always up anyhow. Chalk that up to Sgarn's lack of understanding of all things Eladrin
    Perception - (d20+6)[23]
    Perception - (d20+6)[14]

Sgarn is up well before the sun, as promised, leaning against a thick tree near the burnt-out remains of their campfire, arms crossed, watching the new day's first rays of light filter through the trees. Not as nice as actually watching the sunrise, but it'll do. The big dragonborn breaks his fast in relative silence, lost in his own musings, packs up the tent, secures his bag, stretches and yawns.
    "Hopefully we'll see the fort by sundown tonight."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Curse these boards and their instability. I had a long post written for the night before and then it got eaten when the boards could not load the actual posting of it and now it is too late. I guess i'll survive, but it is still annoying.

Needing to sink into a trance for a much shorter time than most of the people of this world left a lot of time open for Sariel to spend time on something else. What she did was to keep the warforged company answering his questions about the Feywild. She told him of storms as black as the night, only illuminated by the blindingly white flashes of the lightning. She told him of the glittering, seamless spires of the eladrin rising above the forests of the Feywild like beacons for the travellers. She told him about strange creatues, lemurs with fur like moss and lean hunting dogs that could appear in new places in the blink of an eye. She told him of the terrible beasts that came out of the earth to attack the eladrin.

When the morning came she started eating with the others, a clear hesitation coming over her as she did so. "How about somebody else cooks tonight? The rations are awful as it is and it would probably help if someone who eats is also the one who cooks. Gives better understanding of how to make it taste better."

Spoiler
    Show
    And the perception rolls for when we walk.

[roll]1d20[/roll]
    [roll]1d20[/roll]
    [roll]1d20[/roll]
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2008-06-19 at 12:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Daamatka felt like he only just stretched out to sleep within his tent, when the sun hit his eyes and forced him awake. He stretched himself, feeling all his bones and muscles complain, but thankfully it wasn't too loudly. The last Month out here has gotten him used to sleeping in tents. Though the rocky and hard floor wasn't very nice on his back, he accepts it without complaint.

He folds up his tent and eats food with the others, managing to swallow enough of it to last till lunch... hopefully. "I used to have to fend for myself. I think I can come up with something for later today." He offered up.

After Breakfast was over he pulled on hi pack, made sure he wasn't forgetting anything, and headed off with the others, putting himself near the back of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception - (1d20)[3]
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

21. - Top - End - #51

Terridus

While the group walks, Terridus answers Watchtower's questions as best he kind.

"Well, mechano-man, the feywild is like a mirror of the world around us, except twisted with a kind of wondrous naturalism. Where there is a valley in our world, in the feywild there is a similar valley, but perhaps filled with overgrown trees and mischevious fey. It overlaps with certain forests in this world, including the one we're currently so near to. It can be both fascinating, and very dangerous. I myself am empathetic to the plane, being that it is the ancient source of Eladrin."

Homebrews:

Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

22. - Top - End - #52

Terridus

Perception - (1d6)[4]

Homebrews:

23. - Top - End - #53

Perception is a d20 roll...
    [roll0]

Homebrews:

24. - Top - End - #54

The Board Roller: Father of all Quadruple Posts
    (1d20+6)[8]

Homebrews:

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Zrin, Kabump, HB... you guys have to stop taking all the good rolls for yourselves.

Oh, and McMindflayer... Damatka sees more trees.

The march flies by even quicker today, especially after Sgarn found a long furrow of dead earth where nothing had grown. The furrow was almost ten feet wide and weaved gently back and forth as it made its way up the mountain. This dead land was smooth, lacking any form of plant life, though the tracks of animals making their way across it was quite obvious. Whatever had caused the furrow had occurred long ago.

The furrow ends at the crest of the valley in a vast, clearing of the same dead, lifeless soil surrounded by thick verdant forest. A single crumbling parapet is visible peaking over the trees, not even an hour's walk away. You can easily get there within the hour, and still have two hours of daylight left to begin your search.

Of course, sitting in the center of the camp are the remains of a campfire and the charred bones of some unfortunate forest critter. All of which are surrounded by burned out torches and the tracks of goblins.

26. - Top - End - #56

Terridus

Terridus moves with conserved swiftness, he leans quickly to the ground and begins examining the tracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+6)[12]
    What can I figure out about the tracks; how many, how fresh, what direction, etc.

Homebrews:

27. - Top - End - #57

Sgarn looks over the camp, then at the tower over the treeline, then up at the quickly setting sun. He scratches his chin while watching Terridus examine the scene. "Much as I'd like to track these things down and see where their base camp is, we don't have the luxury of time." Sgarn reaches up over his shoulder and grabs the hilt of his sword. "Chances are good they've taken up residence in the fort up ahead anyhow. I doubt we could sneak up on them regardless of how we approach." Sgarn draws his sword then looks at each of his companions in turn. "Thoughts? Plans? Regardless of where we set up camp tonight, we should assume there are goblins in the area. No fire, as little noise as possible, I'm sure you all know the drill. Be at the ready for fun anytime now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealing the best rolls? Bah! The dice only favor me until I'm in combat or really need to make a roll. Just wait 'till I'm trying to hit something, then you shall see an impressive display of impotence.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Well, we could always attack head on. But then goblins are nasty little critters who have traps all over the outside of their demenses, sometimes even within. A lone goblin at the end of a tunnel is not something to follow." He said sagely, thinking of what he knows about goblins. ""Of course, there's always the bartering option. Goblins like shiny things, food, weapons, magical items. Anything that catches their fancy. We could ask for free passage through their lands, unless they own the keep... Maybe they have the item we look for. We could always barter with them for it. I highly doubt they would have picked it up though, and if they do retain command of the keep, then they are even less likely to allow us in to look around. But still, keeping options open is useful to us." Daamatka looks to the others. "I don't know much about battle, but I am a fine tradesman. So, if we are to do some battle with these creatures. some guidance about tactics or the like would be much appreciated."

Spoiler
    Show
    nature - (1d20)[8] - See If I know any other things that might work for fending off goblins. (i.e. what else they might barter for, if they would actually find interest in the tablet, etc.)

It is alright that I said all that right? I mean Goblins and traps are rather common knowledge. and he is a tradesman, so he should know something about selling to beings of various types.
    Last edited by McMindflayer; 2008-06-24 at 12:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Terridus

"You misunderstand. My interest is not tracking the goblins. I'm simply trying to determine where they may have headed, and how recently they've been in the area. Such information is useful regardless of how we act upon it." He stands after thoroughly examing the tracks, his hand brushing across his blade. "As for a goblin ambush, I'd say that appears unlikely. The tracks aren't concealed, and the campfire wasn't even cleaned." Terridus stops and rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"Of course, I do remember a clever ambush I once saw executed by a group of tiefling bandits. They employed goblin hirelings, and had them tramp out an obvious trail around a camp site. Ideally, such action would lead those who saw the tracks to expect a small, poorly organized group of goblins, and be unprepared for a larger, more talented group. It's an outside chance, but keep your guard up."

Homebrews:

30. - Top - End - #60

Rolondo

"Ohhh Goblins you say? Now I don't know why they are out here, or what they could possibly be doing, but I think we should keep heading towards the keep." Rolondo had heard Sgarn mention time was limited, and he wasn't much keen on the idea of hanging around in obvious goblin territory after dark. "If you REALLY wanted, I could try to scout those tracks, see if they lead anywhere. Although, if Terri is right about an ambush..." While he doesn't for a minute doubt his ability to silently track the footsteps, Rolondo is not too keen on setting out alone towards an unknown number of goblins. He makes his offer hoping to impress they big guys, and hopes the time constraint will make them decline said generous "offer". "Personally, I'm all for keeping on to the fortress. That's where we need to go anyway, and if the goblins are already there, at least we have some idea of what to possibly expect. We should head there while we still have light. We just need to be extra careful as we walk!" As he says those last words, he draws his dagger out, as he not one to enjoy being caught unaware, and gives a quick listen into the woods to see if he hears anything.

Spoiler
    Show

I tend to roll real well on skills for some reason. Combat is another story. As far as tactics, Im willing to stealth on into the forest a bit if you guys want to be safe, but I think we should head towards the keep while we still have light. Of course Im always willing to hear other ideas. Now for one more perception check as I listen into the woods....

Perception: (1d20+5)[22]