New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default The Age of Worms

Since the beginning of history, the Divine Races have measured time in Ages. Ages of Glory, of Dreams, and even of Great Sorrow mark the tally of the years, giving a sense of order to the events of days long past, but now, in the face of the Great Victory, has one of the ages began to emerge -- an age of darkness, of decay, and of writhing doom. The portents all stand resolute, easily read by those who have the skill and the desire to do so.

Landsday of Enkilot, 150 AV

The sun dawned red over the feculent, waste-tainted body of water with the laughable moniker of "Diamond Lake." The rude, mouldering town on the lake's shores that shares its name begins to awaken. People emerge from their homes and begin their days, opening the meagre shops to sell third-rate ares to fourth-rate customers, trudging off to the mines in the Spires to wrestle more hard-kept treasures from the Living Earth, or opening the taprooms and vice-houses so that those who cannot begin their day without chemical assistance might drop what little pay they have left to dill the cruel pain of reality.

There is, however, one house which sees a different dawn. Ramshackle, tumbledown, and decrepit though it is, it holds a treasure far brighter than any of the others -- Hope. Within the walls of this abandoned farmstead on the outskirts of Diamond Lake, a handful of diverse peoples gather together in the hopes of winning their way free of oppression, depression, and poverty. Armed with a crude map obtained through questionable means, these few, these lucky few, move toward an abandoned tomb identified only as the Whispering Cairn, and toward their destiny.

OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You stand in the front room of the abandoned house you've taken for your base of operations and assembly point. All of you are known, to greater or lesser degrees, to one another, and all share the desperate goal of gaining enough from this excursion to break the cycle of debt the Mine Owners and the Company Stores have kept you in. Hor are armed with your wits, your determination, and a map that gives vague directions to your goal.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: The Age of Worms

"Let us be swift," Chakusa mutters, "Every moment we spend in this living graveyard makes me nervous. ((Makes to leave with the rest.))
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bamet

Intrigued by the map, corners teared and dirtied, written in old script, Bamet taking in great care, for this is more valuable than gold to him and his colleagues, whos lifes are held in the writen ink, reads the map outlound, careful not to smug the ink
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Marcellus

Marcellus leans against the wall, sweat streaking his dirty face and soaking through his thick, cotton tunic. Marcellus had never known that a man could work so hard in his life before coming to Diamond Lake, and at the rate that he was saving money, he would be over 500 years old before he could pay off his dept. Its a good thing that they had gotten a hold of this map, otherwise he would spend the rest of his days toiling away in the dark. Not that the map was guaranteed to be accurate and true or anything, but it was the only chance he had.

"Aye," Marcellus nods at his elven friend, "I would rather walk stark naked into the middle of Khirdet with an apple in mouth and a sprig of rosemary stuck in each ear than stay another day in this hell hole."
    DMing In the Shadow of Death IC/OOC
    Lorne Keldoryn in Beauty and the Blight of the Black Rose IC/OOC
    Grudok Blackclaw in Legends of Arhade IC/OOC
    Marcellus Ashhad-Verinus in The Age of Wyrms IC/OOC
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Deryni Ravenwood

Deryni looked around at her young friends. Had she ever been like them? Eagerness and desperation mixed in equal amounts? She thought back. Yes, she suppose she had been, but in a different way. Escape from Diamond Lake had never been her aim. She had been desperate for belonging. And Diamond Lake had fed that hunger--had given her friends and respect and acceptance and even had given her the son that her own body had denied her.

The son that now wouldn't meet her eyes, and who held his children close to him as if protecting him from a madwoman.

Her belonging had begun to unravel the moment she had met Death, and she could never get it back. She had been happy, and Death had uprooted her life with casual indifference. But that is how death always strikes. The happy are no safer than the discontent from the blade of the scythe.

She wasn't sure what Death wanted, or why he had chosen her, but she couldn't find out in Diamond Lake. It was time to try looking elsewhere.

"I'm ready," Deryni said. "I've said my goodbyes."
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #6

Baradum

The tired dwarf walks in and a dust seems to follow him in, it is apparent he just got off his shift and he looked incredibly tired and worn out. He looked around at everyone else and noticed just how heavily armed he must appear. Oh well all the better he was expecting trouble, these blasted mine managers couldn't be trusted again... none of them.

"Well it is good to see everyone has made it here, now can someone please inform me in detail what it is I am looking at. I mean I have seen a lot of mines and tunnels and tomes in my day, I need something more specific. Actually hell, I just want to know if it is enough to get me out of this piece of hell."
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Nodding his head in assent, Chakusa casts his gaze over to the map, attempting to see where this overlooked ouiblette is located. He says, "I too would like to know the finer details. Rushing off without knowing the course would be foolish. Although we may have wasted to much time already."
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfClericGuy

You bicker and prepare for several minutes before departing, following the rude map east, to where it seems to imply the Cairn lies. You arrive at the face fo the spire to find an old, rubble-choked and disused trail.

Search and Spot, please.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Baradum looks down the old trail and the growth slowly overcoming it, then he gets a bad feeling. People stop using things they don't like for whatever reason, who knows why they stopped using this one. Baradum starts peering around the trees and down the old path trying to see or listen for anything.

(1d20+2)[5] Spot
    (1d20+2)[7] Listen
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Deryni Ravenwood

Dery searched without much success. She had never spent a lot of time in the wilderness. The underground was where she felt most comfortable. She closed her eyes and let her mind grow still. Breathe in. And out. In. Out. She opened her eyes and took in the whole scene, hoping to catch something important.

(ooc: flavour text added after seeing what I rolled)

Spoiler
    Show

Search: (1d20+4)[5]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[22]
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-06-15 at 11:15 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #11

Bamet will see what he can see

search(1d20+2)[6]
    spot(1d20+2)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Search:(1d20+3)[20] Spot:(1d20+8)[14]

My meager homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Marcellus

Marcellus slowly looks over the rubble, trying to find a hidden entrance or any other way of gaining access.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+1)[8]
    Search - (1d20+3)[17]
    Last edited by darkzucchini; 2008-06-15 at 11:31 AM.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Deryni Ravenwood

"Baradum, do you see this?" Dery asked. "The rubble has been disturbed. What do you make of it?" Dery thought well of all her companions, but she had a special respect for Baradum. He was the only one besides herself who seemed to enjoy mining for its own sake, or who showed any skill at it.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-06-15 at 12:09 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Marcellus

Marcellus clamors over the pile of rubble, pebbles and small stones sliding the heap of debris in his wake. Upon reaching the summit, he begins tearing away at the plant growth that grows onto of the rubble.

"It looks like I've found something," he yells down to the others, "It appears to be a cave, the entrance is blocked by some of the rubble but I think we will be able to squeeze in. Perhaps you would like to lead the way, Baradum? Your people are known for their ability to navigate underground passageways, are they not?"

Hearing Deryni down at the base of the pile, Marcellus calls down, inquiring into the nature of her discovering. "What is that you have found down there, old woman? Anything interesting?"
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

16. - Top - End - #16

Baradum kneels down and looks at the distrubed area, he takes a minute to think what it could be.
    "Well I would guess at some natural event distrubed those stones, or a nasty beast of some sort haunts this area. My guess is on the creature as there is little other disturbance but the rock."

Baradum stands back up and heads over to the mouth of the cave and enters just enough to be immersed in the dark.
    "It would be my pleasure to go first, just brace yourselves anything could be in that cave."

Baradum peers deep into the cave hoping his dark vision will allow him to see what is in. Not sure what he is looking for he decides he should just stay on the alert as he looks into the cave.

[roll0] Spot Check

Exile

17. - Top - End - #17

(1d20+2)[12] Spot check (better work damn it)

Exile

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Deryni Ravenwood

"Now just hold on there, youngster. We might be wanting to get out of here in a hurry. Why don't we clear the rubble a bit more first, and make a proper entrance?"

(If no one objects:) Dery pulled out her pick and set to work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession (miner): (1d20+8)[13] (and I thought I'd never use that particular skill! )

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #19

Wait, wait wait. Let me see something here
    to make sure they dont dig throu the cave, and loose the cave
    Profession (archaeologist)(1d20+6)[16]
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Deryni Ravenwood

There goes Bamet being strange again. He'd done this before in the mines--sure that he'd miss something special if he didn't examine everything. She'd refused to indulge him then. You couldn't make quota if you kept stopping to look at every rock. But they weren't on the clock now.

She stepped back to give him way, not bothering to hide her rolled eyes. "I reckon we've got time to let you play with your rocks," she said drily.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfClericGuy

The rubble seems fairly loose and easy to shift, and is, in no way, supporting the rockface above it. It can be easily removed from the front of the shaft, either completely, or partially.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Whats this I see in this cave, odd little markings. If there wasn't so much blasted dust I would be able to make them out better. I can also hear this faint whispering.

Baradum stays where he is and squints harder at the little markings on the cave wall, surprisingly his face relaxes after a minute and he announces what he sees.

"They are actually carvings, relief carvings... interesting. Be careful where you dig and what you exactly look at... who knows what you might set off or ruin with your bumbling around."

Baradum goes about trying to aid the others carefully in the removal of the rocks and the opening of the passage.

(1d20+4)[15]

Exile

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Deryni Ravenwood

Dery fills and lights her old and battered hooded lantern. If Baradum is going first, she'll follow him. If he's too busy looking at rocks, she'll take point herself.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #24

Baradum

Looking at the impatient Deryni he decides playing with rocks is for when he gets back home. He almost makes a vow to do all of the mining and digging he can when he gets back home, then he remembers the pain in his back from all of the forced labor and decides against it.

With a gruff sigh he heads to the front of the group, he pulls out his dwarven axe just in case anything happens. He had a vague feeling from the markings and sounds coming from within something was indeed in there.

Exile

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Marcellus

Marcellus lights his lantern and holds it above his head, then drawing his scimitar with his other hand and following Baradum into the cave.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfClericGuy

You enter the near-palpable darkness, a cool, eddying wind stirring your hair and brushing your face with the clammy touch of the grave. The sibilant whispers of the wind's passage sounding in words long forgotten. Less than a hundred feet from the entrance, the path suddenly branches into a four-way intersection, its edges beyond the radiating beams of the hooded lamps.

Darkvision:
    Spoiler
    Show

The left and right passages end after about 50 feet, and the one ahead of you carries on. You spot an out of place bundle among the rubble, covered in cloth and not shrouded in the same level of dust.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

What do you see? is it safe?

(if they say it is safe ill enter)
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Deryni

"Course it's not safe,"
    Dery snorted. "If it were safe, then anything valuable would have been long since hauled away."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #29

ohwell im coming in bamet enters the cave
    Last edited by de-trick; 2008-06-18 at 09:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Chakusa inspects the entrance, making sure there is no chance of a collapse once they all enter. "Caution my friends, It would not do to be trapped with our goal in sight." He then draws his bow and takes up point with Deryni.

My meager homebrew