New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Ridiculous Feats!

Let's think up some ridiculous but good feats. They can be silly, over the top, or scientifically implausible, but they must be useful and balanced.

For example:

Blade Copter
    Prerequisite: Dex 12, Str 12

When dual wielding any kind of slashing sword you can twirl them above your head quickly enough to generate lift. You may perform this trick as an immediate action while falling to treat your fall as 10-ft less than it actually is, or while jumping to negate the DC increase for jumping without a running start
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-12-09 at 06:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ridiculous Feats!

Ground Pound [Fighter]
    You can smash the ground so hard it leaves a crater large enough for you to walk through comfortably.
    Prerequisites: Str 17, Power Attack
    Benefits: You may use Power Attack against the ground to create a crater the size of your body + 5 feet by 5 feet. The force required, however, often puts you off balance. When you use this feat, roll d%. If the result is equal to or lower than 10, you put yourself off balance when swinging, still creating a crater, only you fall into it right away. If charging while using this feat, you can create a crater twice the size of your normal crater, but you also have an additional 10% chance of falling in right away.
    Special: A fighter may select Ground Pound as one of their fighter bonus feats.
    This feat only applies to weapons that deal bludgeoning damage (including those that deal multiple types of damage).
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-07-08 at 08:03 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

You should get a bonus to it, if you have a pony tail big enough to pick up a barrel with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Twin Blade Prowess [Tactical]
    Prerequisite: One 3rd level or higher maneuver from the Iron Heart or Tiger Claw discipline, Balance 8 ranks
    Benefit: The Twin Blade Prowess feat enables the use of three tactical abilities. You must be wielding two slashing weapons that are one-handed (for you) to make use of them.

Blade Copter: As an immediate action while falling, you may spin your blades above your head and begin to glide, negating all falling damage and allowing you 20ft of horizontal movement for each 5ft fallen.

If you have 11 ranks in Balance, you may also fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to your constitution modifier.

If you have 14 ranks in Balance, you may fly with perfect maneuverability with this ability.

While using this ability, you may not attack with your two held slashing weapons, unless you have 17 ranks in Balance.

Blade Ski: During a charge while in contact with the ground, you may use your downward-pointed blades to redirect yourself, allowing a single turn of up to 90 degrees during your movement.

Blade Fan: As a standard action, you may spin your blades like a fan in front of you, creating an effect identical to a non-magical Gust of Wind. The range for a medium creature is 30ft, but doubles for each size category the user has above medium, and halves for each size category the user has below medium.

After using this ability, you are fatigued for 1 round unless your constitution modifier is 3 or higher.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2009-12-09 at 06:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

That blade copter ability in the post above is way better than the roofwalker version of reducing falling damage. Way better.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    That blade copter ability in the post above is way better than the roofwalker version of reducing falling damage. Way better.
    Well, I dunno if Roofwalker should necessarily be the point to which it is balanced. Personally, I'd never take Roofwalker, because its weak, situational, and doesn't scale. Definitely not worth a resource I only get seven of.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Well, I dunno if Roofwalker should necessarily be the point to which it is balanced. Personally, I'd never take Roofwalker, because its weak, situational, and doesn't scale. Definitely not worth a resource I only get seven of.
    I wasn't complaining. Also, I noticed that you and Mongoose posted before my edit. There's a feat in my above post, in case you didn't see. Hehe.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-12-09 at 07:10 PM.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9

GnomeWizardGuy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka-Pow!

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Strength 13
    Benefit: The Ka-Pow feat allows the use of three tactical abilities. To use them, you must, while fighting unarmed, hit a foe and reduce him to 0 hitpoints or lower.

I See Stars... So hard do you hit your opponent that stars burst from your fist and swirl around his head, rendering him powerless to take any actions (even with the use of Endurance or similar abilities) until he is brought up to 1 hitpoint.

Nice Birdies... The force of your fists is uncanny; as your foe crumples, 1d6 doves appear and spin about her head. These doves have 1 hitpoint each, AC 10, attack with a -2 to hit, and deal 1d4-3 damage. They will obey your commands for 1 round, after which they disappear.

BAM! As you punch your opponent, great, colorful onomatopoeias 24 inches high spring into being. You can choose any color for these, and choose whether they say "Bam!", "Ka-boom!", "Smash!", or "Crash!". Otherwise, these have no practical uses; they are instantaneous effects.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-12-09 at 07:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

I See Stars... So hard do you hit your opponent that stars burst from your fist and swirl around his head, rendering him powerless to take any actions (even with the use of Endurance or similar abilities) until he is brought up to 1 hitpoint.
    Whoo! How old are the stars? Like what stage are they in? Are they going to explode if you use this ability enough to age the stars?
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-12-09 at 07:17 PM.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's reasonable that if a single person uses this feat and makes it last some tens of billions of years, then yes, everything on the planet takes 100000d6 points of damage.
    But that still wouldn't take care of Pun-Pun...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I wasn't complaining. Also, I noticed that you and Mongoose posted before my edit. There's a feat in my above post, in case you didn't see. Hehe.
    mmmk...well, ahem. Have another feat.

Limb Rending Dragon Style
    Prerequisites: At least one maneuver from the Stone Dragon Discipline, and at least one of Rage, Frenzy, or Shifting
    Benefit: Limbs you sever from an enemy during an encounter are treated as light weapons that you are automatically proficient with that deal 2d6 + 1.5x your strength modifier bludgeoning damage, ignore damage reduction as if they were magical and of the type of damage that would bypass the damage reduction of the creature the limb belonged to (if any), and may be used as two-handed weapons for the purposes of Power Attack, for the remainder of the encounter.

You gain a +1 bonus to hit and damage for every 2 initiator levels with severed limbs gained in the current encounter.

Successful critical hits dealt with Stone Dragon maneuvers of 3rd level or higher have a chance of severing a limb. The foe must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your initiator level + your highest ability modifier) or lose an arm, leg, or limb similarly used by the target creature, who then continues to take 1 damage per round from bleeding until they receive a DC 15 Heal check or 1 point of magical healing. The limb falls to the ground in a square of the user's choice adjacent to the target.

Successful non-critical hits dealt with a Stone Dragon maneuver of 6th level or higher have a chance of severing a limb. The foe must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your initiator level + your highest ability modifier) or lose an arm, leg, or limb similarly used by the target creature, who then continues to take 1 damage per round from bleeding until they receive a DC 15 Heal check or 1 point of magical healing. The user may choose to have the limb be moved directly to one of his hands, automatically dropping any item held in that hand.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2009-12-09 at 07:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

I've got a ridiculous feat I've been kicking around. I don't know if it's balanced but it's certainly useful... kinda.

Orcish Many Orc [racial]
    You are trained in the ancient art of orcish doubling.
    Prerequisites: Orc or Half-Orc, Strength 15
    Benefit: You may make use of the Combine rule below.
    Normal: You are only one orc.

Combine

In order to wield progressively more ridiculously large weapons, the orcs developed a process to combine into a larger form. At first the orcs would climb on each others shoulders and wield their axes four handed, but they eventually developed more and more complex ways to combine.

As a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, two or more orcs may combine. The orc that initiates the combination is referred to as The Head. For every orc above the head that combines in this way, the head adds 2 to his strength and con, but reduces his dexterity by 1 (to a minimum of one). Due to being multiple creatures, the combined orc is immune to ability drain or damage. His dex cannot be reduced below 1 in any way, unless the head is somehow targeted individually (such as by a critical hit from a ray of enfeebling).

For every ten points of damage the combined orc takes, one of the orcs forming the combined orc dies or is knocked unconscious. He falls out of the many orc immediately, reducing it's ability scores and size as if there were one less orc.

Once eight orcs have combined in this way, the head increases by 1 size category. He does not gain any of the ability score modifiers that a monster normally would while changing size. The number of orcs required for each size category increase is found in this table:

{table=head]Number of Orcs|New Size
    8|Large
    16|Huge
    32|Gargantuan
    64|Colossal
    [/table]

The combined orcs may wield a weapon of a size category equal to their combined form. This is usually an Orcish Many Axe, since this is the most common reason orcs feel the need to combine.
    Last edited by starwoof; 2009-12-09 at 07:54 PM.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

15. - Top - End - #15

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenblade View Post
    I think it's reasonable that if a single person uses this feat and makes it last some tens of billions of years, then yes, everything on the planet takes 100000d6 points of damage.
    But that still wouldn't take care of Pun-Pun...
    Great, now we have a cult dedicated to keeping some immortal race that was Ka-Pow!ed alive but unconcious for one billion years, to bring about the end of the world.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Great, now we have a cult dedicated to keeping some immortal race that was Ka-Pow!ed alive but unconcious for one billion years, to bring about the end of the world.
    That's actually a pretty good idea.

Orcish Many Orc should have a Strength requirement of 13 or 15. Again, ability requirements for feats should always be odd numbers.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-12-09 at 07:53 PM.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Orcish Many Orc should have a Strength requirement of 13 or 15. Again, ability requirements for feats should always be odd numbers.
    Ah, that skipped my mind. Made it 15.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

18. - Top - End - #18

Default Crater Creator Feats

Ground Pound [General]
    You can smash the ground so hard it leaves a crater large enough for you to walk through comfortably.
    Prerequisites: Str 17, Power Attack, BAB +4.
    Benefits: You may use Power Attack against the ground to create a one-square crater. Using this feat while charging creates a crater twice as large. Any creature in the area of the crater is flat-footed unless it succeeds on a Balance check of DC equal to the character's weapon damage result.
    Special: A fighter may select Ground Pound as one of their fighter bonus feats.

Meteor Hammer [General]
    Your ability to create craters in the ground has expanded to work on foes, and the overall effectiveness of your ground pounding is increased.
    Prerequisites: Str 19, Power Attack, Ground Pound, BAB +8.
    Benefits: You may use Power Attack against the ground to create a 10 ft. x 10 ft. crater. Anything (except the Meteor Hammer-user) within 10 feet takes damage equal to 5d6 + Str modifier. A successful Reflex save of DC 15 + Str modifier halves this damage. Charging while using this feat doubles the size of the crater. Any creature in the area of the crater is flat-footed unless it succeeds on a Balance check of DC equal to the character's weapon damage result.
    Special: A fighter may select Meteor Hammer as one of their fighter bonus feats.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-08-15 at 01:46 PM.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19

GnomeWizardGuy

Batman Retcon
    You always have what you need on-hand, even when you don't.
    Prerequisites: Int 19, Knowledge 10 ranks
    Benefits: If you are in need of a mundane or masterwork item which you do not have, you may use a Knowledge skill which you have at least 10 ranks in and which is related to the task at hand. The DC is the same DC for crafting the item with the appropriate Craft skill. If you succeed, you had the item all along. Subtract an amount of gold from your possession equal to the item's worth, as if you had purchased it at standard prices.

If you do not have enough gold (or equilivant payment) for the item, the check automatically fails.
    Retry?: No, although you could make another check for a different item. The check is to determine if you retroactively had the item, and looking again will not make a difference.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Twin Blade Prowess [Tactical]
    Prerequisite: One 3rd level or higher maneuver from the Iron Heart or Tiger Claw discipline, Balance 8 ranks
    Benefit: The Twin Blade Prowess feat enables the use of three tactical abilities. You must be wielding two slashing weapons that are one-handed (for you) to make use of them.

Blade Copter: As an immediate action while falling, you may spin your blades above your head and begin to glide, negating all falling damage and allowing you 20ft of horizontal movement for each 5ft fallen.

If you have 11 ranks in Balance, you may also fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to your constitution modifier.

If you have 14 ranks in Balance, you may fly with perfect maneuverability with this ability.

While using this ability, you may not attack with your two held slashing weapons, unless you have 17 ranks in Balance.

Blade Ski: During a charge while in contact with the ground, you may use your downward-pointed blades to redirect yourself, allowing a single turn of up to 90 degrees during your movement.

Blade Fan: As a standard action, you may spin your blades like a fan in front of you, creating an effect identical to a non-magical Gust of Wind. The range for a medium creature is 30ft, but doubles for each size category the user has above medium, and halves for each size category the user has below medium.

After using this ability, you are fatigued for 1 round unless your constitution modifier is 3 or higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Batman Retcon
    You always have what you need on-hand, even when you don't.
    Prerequisites: Int 19, Knowledge 10 ranks
    Benefits: If you are in need of a mundane or masterwork item which you do not have, you may use a Knowledge skill which you have at least 10 ranks in and which is related to the task at hand. The DC is the same DC for crafting the item with the appropriate Craft skill. If you succeed, you had the item all along. Subtract an amount of gold from your possession equal to the item's worth, as if you had purchased it at standard prices.

If you do not have enough gold (or equilivant payment) for the item, the check automatically fails.
    Retry?: No, although you could make another check for a different item. The check is to determine if you retroactively had the item, and looking again will not make a difference.
    I love it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The Batman Retcon is brilliant.

Wait, hold on...

You receive a +10 modifier to your diplomacy roll only when you unwillingly find yourself in a really awkward situation that makes you look bad. The bonus only applies to attempts to convince people that this isn't what it looks like, or that it is what it looks like but that isn't so bad when you think about it. The modifier also applies to the first time you meet someone who has a reason to dislike you.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-12-10 at 12:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Should be named "Wait, I can explain!"
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Should be named "Wait, I can explain!"
    Yes! That's much better.

Profession Alcoholic

Prerequisite: Two skill points to spend on Profession Alcoholic

You may treat Profession: Alcoholic as a class skill, which allows you to somehow earn money in cities and towns despite never seeming to work. You also receive a +2 modifier towards all gather information checks, a +2 morale modifier versus all fear effects if you have a flask of whiskey to take nips from, and a +2 modifier on bluff checks made to deny stealing food and alcohol.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-12-10 at 12:27 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Hollywood Physics Attack
    Prerequisite: Str 15, Power Attack
    Benefit: If you deal enough damage to kill an opponent, that opponent dies in an incredibly fantastic way that have no relation to what attack just killed them. At the time of killing your opponent you must choose one of these methods of death.
    Explosion= You hit them so hard they blow up. The chunks of flesh fly out to hit all adjacent targets, except you. They deal damage equal to half that which was dealt to the opponent in order to kill them. Friendly fire is possible.
    Fling Backwards= With a powerful attack you fling your opponent back like a ragdoll in a 15 foot line. You must make a free trip attempt on every target the body hits. Friendly fire is possible. If the dead opponent hits a wall it keeps moving through the wall as though it gave no resistance, essentially punching a body sized hole through it.
    Body Weapon= You hit them so hard the opponent becomes rigid and can be used as a weapon you are automatically proficient with. For the remainder of combat the opponent does 2d6 bludgeoning damage and is a two handed weapon, for a normal sized opponent. With each attack against a new opponent you may make a free Intimidate check to demoralize them. The body becomes useless at the end of combat.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2009-12-10 at 01:21 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

You hit them so hard they blow up.
    This sentence made me laugh.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

This sentence made me laugh.
    Yeah, not exactly subtle was it?

I got the idea from watching UHF

27. - Top - End - #27

Batman Retcon should be called "Where does he get all does wonderful toys?".

In fact many of the feats in this thread should be named after tropes.
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yakety Sax

Your move speed increases by 10 when chased by police officers, city guard, or soldiers as long as fast paced music is playing.

29. - Top - End - #29

Always in the Nick of Time
    Prerequisites: Knowledge (theatrics) 9 ranks, Improved Initiative
    Benefit: You never arrive after the fact. Provided you strive to reach your goal (and don't pause to do unrelated things along the way), you will always arrive at least 2d4 rounds before the event you intended to be present for occurs. Bad guys won't activate their doomsday machines, the world won't explode, the king won't be assassinated, and that nice girl from next door won't get bored and leave before you arrive for your rendezvous until at least 2d4 rounds have passed after your arrival.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2009-12-10 at 11:20 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey! I think fantastic characters should (as a norm) have abilities that are "silly, over the top, or scientifically implausible" (note:Mundane=can work in AMF, can't be dispelled ect!=realistic).