New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: When on Olympus 2.0

Nauki slowly slides a piece across the board, setting it down gently. "Checkmate in four turns." He gives the devil a little grin. "Of course, I could have missed something..."

He giggles a little. "I wonder if frills would suit you..."
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

"Imbibe, all?" Caine ponders this for a moment and then a blush is barely visible from under his thick beard. "Normally just ale, but master tends to drink some murky green liquid often and offered me a few glasses before I left. He wouldn't let me refuse."

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Montarius

The death god remained silent for a moment, thinking quietly. After a time, he spoke and nodded. Fair enough. If there is nothing else that you can tell us, or unless there is some boon you would ask in return for your aid, I will depart.

In Belariso's realm

The lady smiled enigmatically as she walked through the gateway, a soft chuckle escaping her lips. Heartily do I thank you for your hospitality. Is your master available to speak with me? The message is a personal one to him from his brother.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Sephriel's eyes dart over the board, looking for the moves Nauki is talking about in disbelief. Sure enough, four turns. Her only hope is if her gambit kicks in sooner... no. 5 turns. She hangs her head in defeat.

"I... don't think f-frills would look good on me..."

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Darsha chuckles softly, not failing to notice Caine's blush.

"Oh, but you are fun! Do tell me you'll be visiting us again. You would love to meet Seph..."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

"I think I'll go see her now. There were some presents I was supposed to give you along with Lady Velia's letter, but I never got around to either. I think Lord Saatyun left you a new set of flensers, skin graters, thumbscrew producers, and the like."

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

"Going to see Seph? You'll need to enter Paradise. Beware the... ah, h-haha... Guardian. You'll need to best that doll or have its blessing before the gate will open..."

Darsha smirks at the thought.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Caine goes back to one of the horse-drawn carts, pulls out a trunk, and deposits it in front of Darsha. He then grabs two small boxes, appropriate for the size of jewelry, and heads to Paradise's gate. "Hello Plush Tentacle-Thing, could you let me inside? My master has something he wants me to give Seph."
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-06-27 at 07:11 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

The Milli-plush quickly holds up a sign, which states "Halt!" She then turns it around (although Caine could swear there was nothing on the back before...), and it reads "State your business!" Even though she's just heard every word they were saying. Go figure.

Nauki giggles triumphantly, crossing his arms over his chest. "You were very good. I didn't even have to hold back in order to give you a chance!"

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Czarina

"I'm afraid my master has stepped out for a moment. I suppose now I can recall Regina from that...hall...of your master's. She's been there waiting for Lord Montarius. Come in, I'll let my master know you're here."

Belariso

I suppose there's nothing to do but wait,
    the Kingmaker says, and stands just as Czarina enters, her head bowed.

"Lord Belariso, if you'll pardon my entrance, Lady Shadowtail has arrived with a message from your brother."

I see. If you'll excuse me, Velia? And, thank you. I'm sure the Augur of Dawn will clarify this matter. I have to be sure, he says, and offers her a rare smile before departing to meat with the kitsune.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

"I just told you my business, I'm going to give Lady Seph a gift."

=====

Back in Saatyun's realm, a stern-looking gnome in a pair of thick spectacles is at the head of a long table, leading a discussion on bizarre characteristics which humans find attractive.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Lady Shadowtail

The Kitsune once again smiled demurely, though it was a knowing smile, and a light glimmered in her eyes as if she could read the angel's distaste. She moved with a liquid, silken grace, her footfalls silent as she stepped forward, waiting quietly for Belariso to appear. When he did so, she curtisied with exquisite grace, bowing her head before the god.

Greetings, Lord Belariso, in the name of my Master.

She gave a sudden, roguish grin.

I think it is possible that your servant does not altogether approve of me.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

While Belariso and Velia speak of more important matters, Zet zooms around the room, occasionally placing an item on Belariso's head before switching it with something else.
    "Apple, no
    Duck, no
    Spinning top,no
    Small target,no
    Potato, no
    Why amI hereagain

He tilts his head to the side, getting a far away look on his face.
    "Oh, yes
    Giant grasshoppers

He brandishes his scimitars at Belariso's retreating form.
    "Fight, youvillainous curr,or Iwill haveyour essenceon aplatter
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

The plushie seems to consider this. She rubs at her chin with her 'fingers', although her arms actually end in stubs. Which makes one wonder how she holds that sign... She spins it around again; the other side now reads "Well... alright."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Caine passes through the gate and shouts his greeting. "I am Caine, Devoted Servant of Lord Saatyun. I am here to give a gift to Lady Seph from my master. Anyone know where she is?"

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Nauphel had wandered the caverns for a time and grew disheartened with his search.

"It seems Kael Nog is out on his own accord. Very well."

At his whim a dragon turtle appeared.

"Plod along now. If you see any representatives of the Wanderer tell them I'll be waiting for their master in my own abode."

His business done, the Lord of the Depths stole back to his realm. It was time to scry on his own matters and see that they resolve as they should.

The Enkidite vessel was now visible off the bow. Vernes was beside himself with all the plans he had to mutilate and dismember the Bastion passengers.

"Keep rowing boys! Ramming speed ahead! But don' you think ta be plowing on through! Hook 'em up nice an' tight an' I'll take me pick o' them"

It was a rare fancy that could move the Admiral to bellow out his own orders. The deck lunging forward, he ran to the prow so as to not miss the most minute expression of eminent despair.

With his tentacles, Vernes caressed the figurehead of the Mariner's Rime.

"Ya know I always did like the headstrong lassies"
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-07-02 at 02:02 PM.
    A post about nothing.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Green Talc materialised out of the gloom.
    "My lord wanders in the Brightworld. I will inform him post-haste."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

\_ \_ \_

Aboard the Brigandine, the delicately balanced 'leaves' of force flutter on the branches of the instrument panel. Tranchant, the ship's captain, instantly realised that something was wrong - the suits (well, 'robeds' doesn't have the same ring to it) had presented it to him with instructions to monitor it carefully, and well, if this wasn't something to be monitored, he didn't know what would be. Crossing the deck, he went over to the makeshift warehouse that had been set up on the ship's low, flat, deck. A figure shrouded in leaf-like mail came to the door, standing pointedly between it and him.

Sir; that ... instrument that you gave us. Something's happening. It's -

-fluttering? Dear. That was sooner than expected.

He turns, calling out to a pair of similarly-clad figures behind him.

Load 'er up then. Two single shots across the bow, then load a reverse grav round or two. Let their gods sort them out, if it comes to that.

Even as he speaks, a large construction is wheeled out from the building - its brass fittings gleam in the sun, quite evident to those on the Mariner's Rime.

Without warning, a pair of shots skim the main rigging of Vernes' ship, expertly placed to that they do not hit it, but close enough to demonstrate that as a distinct possibility. The third barrel remains tantalisingly (and worryingly, for anyone without much appreciation for thaumomilitary hardware) unfired, and the Brigandine sails directly, warily away from the Rime, its spellshot ballista keeping perfect aim on the other ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am imagining spellshot ballistae as looking somewhat like this, and approximately the size of a bus (although most of that is superstructure, the actual 'hot' part, or filament on the picture, being quite small.)

Also, does Vernes have true seeing?

\_ \_ \_

Elsewhere

One of Nauki's chess peaces wiggles a few millimeters, pushed by the thoughts of the entire under-eleven population of Erdzhene. It seems to be eager to ask a question, in a manner similar to that of a particularly zealous student in a generally apathetic classroom.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, and for future reference Montfort is a level 11 cleric with the Knowledge and Watery Death domains. I suppose he's already burned a level 6 slot on Find the Path.

Undaunted, Vernes peers on. The scum had brass, he'd give them that, but he had no intention of letting them escape.

"The swabs is givin' us a proper greeting, lads. Load tha basilisks and wheel 'er within range. Thems of you on deck, suit up! We cannae board such a fine vessel without our evening best on. Montfort! Tell 'em to act all patient like."

The captain strode back to his cabin. He hadn't wanted to use them just yet, but fancy gave way to practically as he pulled out his harpoons.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Patient like" would be a Control Water spell to sink a volume of 80x80x22 area of water around the Brigandine. If you're using dromond stats that should put them face to face with a 7 foot wall of water.

How do I resolve cannon/ballista fire?
    A post about nothing.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Sephriel takes a deep breath, and then looks up at Nauki with a smile on her face after a long pause.

"Thank you for the compliment, Lord. It's an honor to have faced your best efforts... I'm afraid I lack the ability to drastically change my form, though. I'm sure for you, though, it's no trouble at all. When you're ready, you may claim your reward..."

No sooner are the words out of her mouth then the gates open, and Caine shouts his greeting. Silently thankful that if this had to happen, it happened when it did, she stands and eyes the man suspiciously.

"You've found her. Finish your business and please leave. Paradise is not meant for those like you." Her eyes seem suddenly a little sad.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"If you wish to speak more, you have a free invitation to enter my realm, Belariso. I'll excuse myself while you deal with your guest. Zet. Disturb anything in here, and you will understand Regret in ways that do not yet exist. Do I make myself clear?"

The air around her pulses threateningly as she leaves without waiting for a response.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

That was not was Caine needed to hear. He walks up to Seph and gives her the two boxes and a note. "A gift from Lord Saatyun." He walks away, his head hung low, and holding back tears.

Saatyun's note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Sephie,
    If you're reading this, it means that my servant Caine is here. Right now he should be dropping off cargo and giving out my gifts. Please make sure that you don't say anything to upset him, it has taken me a lot of trouble simply to get him into Mother's realm, and I don't want him killing himself a fifth time. Now, he has some business with Darsha, if you can, I hope you would keep Darsha from doing anything to him. We're been friends for a while and I would like that as a favor. If not, I'll tickle you until you cry.
    Now, about the boxes. The long, skinny box contains a nice necklace. It's just a necklace, not anything special about it otherwise. The other, slightly shorter box contains a bracelet. You'll notice that the bracelet has eight beads on it. Each bead can be used to store an outfit or set of armor and weapons.
    By touching a bead and saying the word "switch", you can exchange your outfit or armor and weapons with the one stored in the bead. By touching an empty bead and saying the word "add", you can place clothing inside. By touching a bead and saying the word "remove", the clothing from that bead is emptied out.
    I've already stored a dress in the first bead. It has been enchanted so it'll fit regardless of your size, though my tailors did leave room for your wings. I've also been told that the bracelet looks somewhat gaudy, so I placed a glamer on it. Touching the blue bead will allow you to control its appearance. I hope you enjoy your gifts.

Your Friend,
    Saatyun

P.S. Remember to take good care of the little girl. She should be showing up any second now if my servant got the chance to do things in the right order.

Seph notices that the postscript is in a different handwriting, it looks almost...feminine. Looking closer, the handwriting of the note appears slightly off to begin with. The seal on the envelope is wrong as well. It's the seal he uses for business, not his personal one. When was the last time Saatyun called her Sephie, anyway? He always calls her Sephriel.

OOC: The bracelet is a modified rod of arming. It's already slotless, so the bracelet should be as well.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-07-01 at 08:53 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Sephriel reads the note with astonishing rapidity, dropping her gifts and teleporting in between Caine and the gate. The odd contents of the note are not lost on her, but they are unimportant. While here in Paradise, her heart was too soft to not feel this man's pain. She stares at him, sternly.

"Wait. Your business is not yet finished here. You entered Paradise without official permission, and now you must face judgment. Come with me - Paradise's own reflecting pool will show us your worthiness to be here. I... spoke out of turn, I am sorry."

As Guardian, she can lock the gate from both directions. Caine does not have a say in the matter...
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2008-07-01 at 09:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Nauki's head slowly tilts to one side as Caine enters, listening to him wordlessly. After all, he's here to see Sephriel, not him! His attention is soon caught by the chess piece, though, staring at it for a moment before reaching out to poke at it. "Yes?" He looks mildly confused. He's sure he didn't enchant these pieces...

The little godling looks up suddenly as he senses those gifts... or at lease the bracelet. He snatches the bracelet up - he really has no manners when it coems to things like this - and looks it over critically. "A custom Rod of Arming. Hm. Clever..." He glances back at the chess piece.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well. I think my master wanted me to give Vorelejir something as well. I suppose it would have to wait.", he replies in a hushed tone. His feet drag and his eyes face the ground as he slowly walks with Sephriel.

=====

Saatyun is in his bedroom, composing music while playing his violin. The songs he plays are sad and slow, but beautiful. He was not the best musician among the gods, but he enjoyed himself regardless. The music calmed him, removing his anger and frustration far better than alcohol could. This is not to say he wasn't drinking, but he had been drinking to the point where he couldn't have another without seriously hindering his thought processes.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-07-01 at 09:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Ships

The Brigandine's elaborate spellshot device, now freed entirely from the covering tarpaulin, swings round, its great length almost disappearing as it draws a bead on its target. The cabin where the evident 'captain' had just disappeared into.

On the ship, the leading Bastion figure gives a signal - the two who had unveiled the ballista behind him acceding to it with practiced grace, loading and preparing the final rod. All around them, crew members slide into a carefully prepared routine, drawing weapons from concealed locations.

Let's show these scum the light of truth and reason, eh?

Light erupted from the barrel of the ballista, at the very moment as Montfort's 'patience' spread forth - both boats rock, as vast amounts of energy are discharged by the magical combat between the two. When the sparks clear, the Brigandine is rocking dangerously from side to side in the turbulence caused by the water crashing back around it - it lost perhaps half of its crew overboard in the first salvo. The Rime, likewise, suffered severe damage - the spellshot rod wrapping, at terminal velocity, the matter of the the ship's starboard side into strange, unnameable vectors, shattering its right side.

The robed figure strides through the water on the Brigandine's deck, perching effortlessly upon a bulkhead, barking orders, something about 'the warehouse shipping water'. The ship begins to wheel round.

Spoiler
    Show
    With regard to resolving boat to boat combat, just say what's going on on the Rime and I'll resolve the results of stuff. I suspect that taking on the Lord of the Sea, at sea, may be a Bad Idea for Tranchant.

The Brigandine's not so much a dromond, more like a huge, ocean-going barge, designed primarily for carrying large, bulky cargo, of the sort that isn't easily disassembled.

In terms of its design, it's a pair of large magical 'floats' at either end, with a teak structure built around them - fairly low in the water, but a sturdy thing that's quite hard to sink (being more of a raft than a ship). No fixed weapons, but its cargo, among with some other stuff hidden under the tent, includes the aforementioned spellshot ballista. It has a goodly amount of spellshot rods, too.

Also, I've just

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm sorry, Lord Nauki, but I have some business I need to take care of. I'll be back shortly, if you don't mind waiting here?"

With a nod to Caine, she leads him off into the distance, past rows of perfectly ordered trees and plants, all of them in full bloom. Men and women of varying statures and ethnicities (but all of them beautiful) can be seen laughing, talking, playing a variety of games, and generally just enjoying themselves - a glimpse into the simpler pleasures of Paradise. Eventually, the two reach a small and perfectly round pool. As Caine looks into it, he notices something peculiar - the waters reflect nothing.

"You won't see anything if you don't know what you're looking for." Sephriel explains as she gazes critically into the waters. After a very long moment of silence, she looks at him differently than she did before.

"You are... very rare. I'm sorry. I have misjudged you, and now I must delay your mission. Please return with me to the gate. I cannot keep Lord Nauki waiting, but I cannot let you leave Paradise yet, either. There is something here that requires your presence. I cannot say more, but speak to My Queen before you depart Her realm. She will tell you everything you are meant to know."

She smiles at him, and begins to walk back to the Gate. To think that someone like her is servent of Velia... and a devil, no less.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Vernes' excitement tempered with shock. No ordinary ship carried that kind of firepower. Nor would he relish repairing his vessel. His face stayed steely amid all his concerns. Commanding cutthroats and killers had taught his countenance made the captain.

The admiral leaned over the starboard rail and hollered at any survivors.

"What're ya louts waitin' fer! The daft bastards opened a door for ya, get yer asses out o' it! Iron men! Keep yerselves tight, I'll not want 'em making away wit me ship."

The Mariner's Rime plunged over the depression left by Montfort's spell. Out the holes spilled a handful of raiders and more cargo. The prow thrust ahead, aimed at the center of the Brigandine's broadside.

"Call us Ancient Mariners
    Here to match ye one to three
    By thy shaking beards and fearful eyes
    Now wherefore stopp'st thou we?

And now the storm's wrath come, and he
    Is tyrannous and strong
    He strikes with his o'ertaking wings,
    To chase ye south along"
    A post about nothing.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

"I understand. I am happy to have received your forgiveness and do not wish do cause you any more trouble. Lord Saatyun told me I was to see Queen Velia regardless of my wishes, however. There is something I must deliver that I have to see her receive." Caine pauses to consider what just happened. He had no reflection, what did it mean?

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

"Put your duties aside for a moment and simply enjoy where you are. You will be permitted to leave shortly, but for now I must keep you here. There are certainly worse places to be locked in, no?"

She offers him a smile as they return to the gate and Nauki.

"I am sorry to keep you waiting, Lord. Just tell me what you'd like to do next..."

Velia returns to her realm, and seats herself upon her throne. A glance around tells her what she needs to know, but she looks to Darsha anyway.

"Our guest is visiting Seph in Paradise... I imagine he'll be a while."

Velia's smile is confident. "Of course."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

The door to the carriage opens and two heads point out of it. One is of an female Insoril, close to middle-aged and red-haired. The other is of a small girl with pale hair and eyes. Her ears show the fact that she is fey, at least partly. "Is it time to come out yet, Mister Caine?" said the girl.

=====

The end of Saatyun's letter
    Spoiler
    Show
    You may have noticed that Caine dropped off a child. Her name is Marisu Nergii, she is a daughter of a man who performed several great services for me. When I asked him what he wished for a reward, he simply wanted a good life for his child. That man is quite noble and I had no interest in twisting his wish. Now things were perfectly fine until the man's wife died from some sort of heart problem. He had no relatives to take care of his daughter while he was away on business, so I had to step in and take care of her. I am not a good parent, nor is my realm a good place to take care of children. The only children who grow in my realm are pure-blooded Insoril and Hellspawn, and neither of those are what the man wishes his daughter to be. I know what you're thinking, send the girl to live with her mother's side of the family. Well, her mother's side of the family lives in my realm, so it doesn't solve anything.
    Now, I am in dire need of a favor. As you have guessed, I would like Marisu to live with you until she comes of age. I know you miss Nauki living in your realm, and she will keep you company. If you do not wish for this burden, I won't impose it upon you, but I what I want is what is best for this child.

Sincerely,
    Saatyun

Also, do not try sending her to Nauki. I know he's just going to do something crazy like replace her heart with a pile of gears.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-07-02 at 04:41 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Nauki looks up at Sephriel, and grins, tossing her Bracelet of Arming back at her. "Don't worry! Work comes first, of course." He doesn't actually believe that, but...

He continues looking at that chess piece that seemed to want to ask him something!