New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tales in forth

John Mulberry

As John gets hugged by the girl his brain goes into overdrive.

No one hugs me, EVER. Something's going on, best to find that damn scarecrow fast, the girl disengages and starts dancing, This is definitely not as normal as I thought it would be.

While she dances through the streets John begins asking people at random if they've seen a rogue scarecrow. The rat-on-a-stick vendor gets the first questioning.

"All right Sticky, you seen someone haul a scarecrow into town?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Time for a good old-fashioned Streetwise check.
    SW - (1d20+4)[9]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dyne

"The only problem I have with looking for Master Griffith is I have no idea where to look if he isn't here. He mentioned Guts often, but I'm not sure if he was just complaining about his organs or not." It shrugs, a habit picked up from Griffith.
    "I do agree with you about the children needed to be helped first, though perhaps we should get others to help, if someone is capturing them, I'm not so sure I would be enough back-up for you Baldrej." It looks at the other people standing there, trying to see who would make a good person to ask to help.
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Tesni follows John's example, but does it in a much more cheery and friendly manner, hoping to get on people's good sides.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise: (1d20+4)[12]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

DM

As John and Tesni ask around they get a variety of answers, generally unhelpful.

John:

Spoiler
    Show

Rat-on-stick vendor- Hmmm... you mean those straw-stuffed people fings that farmers use to scare away crows? Naw haven't seen any in town. Course I don't see da point of em, crows are mighty tasty. Why scare em away? Just use da corn as bait and catch em up I say.

Old lady- A scarecrow stolen? I say what is the world coming to...

Animated zombie head on a pike with a sign that says 'rapist' under it- Pleeaaase... kill mee... though... actually a little hat and coat on this pike would be nice... its not so much the pain as the rain... gets me skin all slimy. Hey where ya going?

Farmer- Whazzat? Someone stole a scarecrow? Dang nabbit... I hope it wasn't mine, those crows are always getting at my corn and Its over a month till harvest time. ... but what are you bothering with scarecrows for? We've got real-live bandits attackin folk on the roads and stealin their money and the clothes off their back!

Night Guard- Stolen scarecrow? Lemme check the night watches report... lesse. 26 goblin laborers came from outside to do the morning work (all with papers), a cleric of pelor traveled in from the west gate to visit the temple... and an orc brought in a beat-up farmer he found alongside the road. Says here the orc works at P.C. Dibblers General Shop on main street as a henchman... and the farmer is in the temple of healing. According to report the victim was in raggity old clothes with no shoes, think it was bandits that got him. But no scarecrow thefts... whats so important about a scarecrow anyway?

Tesni:

Spoiler
    Show

Crow Familiar- Scarecrow?! Scarecrow?! Caw! Caw! wherewherewhere? *flies off*

Wizard- What the? Poe get back here! Poeee!

Man in a haycart- Scarecrow? Bwahaha! I aint got no scarecrow in here. Sides, what sort of person drags a scarecrow around? I he was to steal it he'd just unstuff it and carry the clothes or sticks or whatnot.

Male Human Teenager- *stares*

Girl with pigtails and a pet dog- A scarecrow? I never thought anyone would steal something like that. And it couldn't have walked off by itself. Imagine a man stuffed with straw walking around. *sees Dyne in the distance and blinks in confusion*

Fruit seller- Apples! Get your apples! Pardon? Wonder if I saw a scarecrow thief? Why would someone steal a scarecrow? I got enough trouble with people stealing apples. No not in the market, those blasted bandits on the roads... they attack farmers and travelers alike.

Witch- A straw man? I suppose it could have been cursed or something... maybe magic wood or magic clothes or plaanted on the graves of a dozen murder victims. Not sure? Ehhh... stuffed with straw spun into gold by a renegade gnome? No... eh, in that case its a mystery to me... might have fallen over.
    Last edited by Randel; 2008-06-19 at 10:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

5. - Top - End - #35

John Mulberry

John's perpetual frown is prominently displayed when he meets up with Tesni.

"I didn't get anything, if someone has that scarecrow they probably didn't take it into town," he shakes his head and mumbles, "Add that to the list of things that a regular guy can't get done, if an adventurer had looked for it he'd have found it by now. Well, if you need any more help in town don't hesitate to come by the station and ask for me," John let's out a long sigh after thinking about how his day might go, "I'll probably be knee deep in paperwork for the rest of the day, though. Good luck finding the straw man."

Once they've said their goodbyes John heads off to the station in a gloomy mood.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

Asheron

Asheron, following the guard and half-elf, is dismayed at their lack of findings. Knowing he could do nothing about it, however, he resigned himself to luck. He began to follow a random person, hoping they would lead him in the right direction.
    All glory to Vrythas in regards to my snazzy AD&D Game Master avatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reserve AD&D Game Master avatar by wxdruid

Oh star fall down on me
    Let me make a wish upon you
    Hold on, let me think
    Think of what I'm wishing for

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Valandil continues to stand in the market place having been ignored. He thinks to himself Well I guess I'll just investigate the missing person myself. Maybe if I can gather some information I can selll it to those that would be interested. Why does no one in this town take me seriously?

Streetwise (1d20+5)[18]
    "I gave you a twizzler I can do what ever I want" - ME

Valandil

Bozam

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Tesni hesitates, then hurries after John to try and catch him before he gets too far. She wasn't sure she wanted to do this, but...
    "Wait, sir, um... I might have another lead we could follow."
    She taps the tips of her forefingers together, looking down at her feet sheepishly.

9. - Top - End - #39

John Mulberry

The inner John threw his hands up in exasperation.

Arg, I want to help her but I also want to keep the captain from sticking me on a pike. I hope this is the last of it.

"Alright then, tell me. I really don't have much time but if it's quick then I may be able to help."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Baldrej

Baldrej flashes a toothy draconic grin at Dyne. "Let's go inside to find out more before we recruit our army, shall we?"

With that he strides into the guard station as if he owns the place, decides who looks to be in charge, and walks over to that person. "What's this about children being abducted in Nodnol, and wherefore has nothing been done about it. Provide me with details and I'll take care of it myself. To begin with, where is Nodnol?"
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

DM

Valindil

Spoiler
    Show

You ask around about the scarecrow, your experience letting you get a little closer to the puzzle.

Halfling: Scarecrow? Sorry, but the closest one a those is out in the farms... and I don't get out of the city that much. Though wassname Grothin the orc might know the area. He often helps adventurer types by carrying their stuff for em.

Goblin laborer: Wassat? Scarecrow? You mean a fing that looks like a farmer to scare crows? Well... I fink I saw an orc wif one... no... no it was a real farmer. Pretty poor and beat up but he was real, could see the blood.

Priestess of Laziton: Oh hello there, would you like to partake of our daily morning exercises? Oh, you're looking for a scarecrow? I'm not sure if I can help you... actually, we just got a patient in this morning. Poor man was left for dead by bandits and a nice orc brought him in. I mention him because he was dressed in very ragged farmer cloths with a little straw in it and... *blushes* Well, I probably should be going.

Grothin the orc: Hello, are you looking for a henchman? I can carry lots of things if... what that? Scarecrow? *looks a little nervous* Er, sorry, was that yours? I kind of used them to cloth a human I found on the road... bandits took all his other clothes and it didn't seem right to carry him into town with nothing on... I can replace the clothes if you need. Didn't mean to steal.

Asheron

Spoiler
    Show

You see an Eladrin rogue (Valandil) listening in on the happenings and watch him head off to do his own inquiry. After a few stops with a halfling, a goblin, a priestess of Laziton (a pantheon of small gods dedicated to healthy food, exercise, healing, games and dancing) and finally a now nervous-looking orc working at a general store.

Grothin the orc: Hello, are you looking for a henchman? I can carry lots of things if... what that? Scarecrow? *looks a little nervous* Er, sorry, was that yours? I kind of used them to cloth a human I found on the road... bandits took all his other clothes and it didn't seem right to carry him into town with nothing on... I can replace the clothes if you need em. Didn't mean to steal.

Dyne

Spoiler
    Show

You see a priestess of Laziton in the market selecting fresh fruits and vegetables for the temples daily ceremonies. You recall that they worship health and exercise... which sort of has a connection to guts. You see a few elderly folk enter the temple.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Asheron

As casually as he can, Asheron makes his way back to the half-elf and the guard. He hears an indistinct muttering as he passes by, and does his best to look normal. "You folks hear about that farmer what got carried into town by an orc?" He says, casually. "They say he was dressed all ragged, like a scarecrow. I think he was dropped of at the church of Laziton." Asheron shakes his head and gives the pair a sad smile. "I hope he gets better." Asheron says. He makes a gesture behind his back, and casts Ghost Sound. "Jamis! Jamis!" A woman's voice calls from behind a nearby building. "Well, I gotta go." Asheron says before waving goodbye.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I just realized I was using Valindil's info. It makes sense I should hear it, having been with him, right? I can roll listen, if you want Randel, or change my post.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

13. - Top - End - #43

John Mulberry

John narrows his eyes at their informant.

"Okay, what in the hell is going on here? That was a damn plot-hook if I ever heard one," he walks after the man, "Stop right there buddy, I wasn't born yesterday and I'm damn sure that I'm not an adventurer, so save the wizened old man at the bar talk for someone with less sense than me," John squares himself up to the man and glares at him, "This whole day's been too damn suspicious and I want to know why you're trying to get me in on a quest."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

((Oo... um... that makes my backstory not entirely right. >.>
    Wish I had known that is what happened. I could have corrected it earlier. Oh well, it's not like it is a major part...))

Tesni bites her lip and then looks up at John.
    "No, I don't think it's a quest. Besides, it couldn't hurt to just go and check to see if he's okay, could it?"

15. - Top - End - #45

Dyne

Seeing its new friend walk into the guardstation, though it wanted to go talk to the chapel and ask about Griffith. The children need help, but I might find something out there. If we don't find any help from the guards, then I'll go talk to the priestess.
    "I agree, let's go." It follows and waits quietly for the info, hoping that the priestess will not vanish when it comes back out.

((ooc, I guess dristin took care of it))

16. - Top - End - #46

John Mulberry

John calms down some as the half-elf girl looks at him.

"Oh I intend to check up on him, but as a member of the Everthorn city guard investigating an assault and not as an adventurer looking for some loose gold," he pokes Asheron in the chest, "You hear me random informant guy? You won't get me with your tricks."

John starts walking off in the direction of the temple.

"Come on miss, let's get this matter all settled."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Asheron

Asheron shakes his head. Random informant guy? Is that a promotion? He runs after the pair. "Alright, alright, bluejohn. No need to get your iron pants in a wad. I'm a concerned citizen who spotted this young lady asking for your help and decided to follow along of my own accord. I wanted to pull a quick fade, but no. You had to have your assault charge. Well, you've done it now." Asheron pokes the man in his chest. "I'm following you from now on. An attitude like that is more than likely going to send you into some hot water." Although Asheron knows he must look suspicious in robes and leather, he hopes his young, endearing face wins him the day. He smirks at the guard, then bows to the lady half-elf and attempts to lightly kiss the back of her hand, understanding that she is clearly the voice of reason between the two. Standing up, he attempts to gauge the magical power of both.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: (1d20+8)[24]

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

DM

As you all enter the temple you notice several people engaging in excercise led by a high priestess. A door to the side leads to a room with many beds in it, one of which has a badly bruised man who is being attended to by one of the healers and her assistant. He's wearing clean garments and you can see a bundle of ragged clothing sitting in a bin near the bed, some bits of straw in amongst the cloth.

"Hello, is there anything you need?" one of the healers approches John, noting his uniform. She also gives a glance to the others, seeing their varied appearance. She gives a small sigh as she looks at John as if to say I feel your pain.

Baldrej

Spoiler
    Show

The man at the desk blinks as he hears you speak and immediately begins shuffling and looking through his papers. "Eh, sorry sir... lesse."

He gets out a report.

"There have been reports of children disappearing in the area around Nodnol village. Five children so far... one case of two children went to bed in their home and in the morning were gone, bedroom window was open and some mashed poppy seeds were in the room, next night another two children vanished in the same manner in another house with similar poppy seeds in the room, third night the people was on alert and all children were with their parents and none disappeared, then the next day a little girl went missing while watching her sheep."

"According to our reports, a few of the well-off families decided to visit relatives in another village until this thing got solved. The rest are keeping extra careful watch over the kids. Several folks say its witches or cultists or something and want it solved before seven kids vanish... nasty number if its witchcraft."

"Locals put out a search of the area and houses but didn't find anything."

He flips open a book. "Nodnol, is a village to the east of here which is well known for its apple orchards. A bit of a nasty forest is about ten miles to north-west of the city limits with a few farms on the way. They have trade routes to us and to North Haverbrook to the south. They get a good business with the dwarves in Haverbrook trading metal stuff for their cider and other alcoholic drinks." He stops and

"The path between us and Nodnol recently got a bit of weird sleepy poppyseeds all of a sudden. Which looks connected to the poppies used in the kidnappings... though the stuff on the road only appeared yesterday afternoon from what I can tell and the kidnappings started four days ago. Only got a message from them about it two days ago and the road got a that stuff yesterday..." he tries to sort out his notes. "Eh, does that help, Sir?"
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

DM

Asheron

Spoiler
    Show

You note that John is completely mundane in every way... you've seen pieces of toast with more magic in them than him.

The half-elf however seems to glow... not from any magic item on her very aura is magical. You can't make out any specifics but its definitely stronger than the aura of any magical race you've seen. But strangely, its not build externally as if she could teleport of turn invisible like another fey... its just theres a great deal of fey magic beneath her skin seemingly waiting to be tapped into.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Tesni gives a little giggle as Asheron kisses the back of her hand, then bounces off to the temple with John, not objecting to the mage following them. She seems quite happy to have another person following them around, really- more people to talk to, more fun and more chance to get things going in an interesting way, after all! Besides, maybe he'd give some contrast to the more cautious and balking guard- though it was fun to tease him and lead him around.
    She smiles at the healer once they get in the temple and gives a little shrug.
    "Well, we heard about a farmer who had been brought here after being kidnapped, and this good guard just wanted to make sure he was okay... do you think we could see him?"

21. - Top - End - #51

John Mulberry

John shakes his head in sadness after Asheron's tirade.

"No random informant guy, the only trouble I get into is with the captain when people like you take up my time on wild xvart chases, while regular people keep getting hurt."

John walks the rest of the way to the temple in silence. Once they get there a rare smirk lights on John's face for a brief moment as he catches the priestess' meaning, but then it's gone as his mind switches into business mode.

"I was told by this random informant," he gestures lazily at Asheron, "That this man had been brought into this church by an orc after being attacked. If he's well enough to talk I'd like to get a report out of him, his attackers may hurt someone else if we don't catch them in time. The little miss here is a concerned citizen."
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-06-21 at 02:14 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Asheron

Great. I get random informant, she gets concerned citizen. Asheron thinks. "Well, regular person, my name is Asheron, if you have the intelligence to pronounce that." Asheron says, a little angrily. I was only trying to help. Next time, I'll stay out of things, see how far this regular person gets without me. But then, with a sigh, he notices his slightly dirty robes, mostly from sleeping on a roof. He hangs behind the guard and sweeps his staff over his clothes, using Prestidigation to clean himself up a little. He realizes that if he wants to help, he doesn't have time for any more petty arguments, no matter how fun they are. He puts on a nice face for the Temple.
    Last edited by Levyathyn; 2008-06-21 at 03:43 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh star fall down on me
    Hold on, let me think

23. - Top - End - #53

Dyne

It heard all that the desk person had said and turned to Baldrej to ask, "Do we have enough information now so we can recruit others to help out, or do you wish to find more info."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Baldrej

Baldrej nods, though it's unclear whether it is to the clerk or Dyne.

He looks at Dyne, a smile on his face and chest swelling up. FINALLY, a quest worthy of his efforts! "Indeed, my friend. We have more than enough to recruit others to aid us in easing the plight of those poor villagers." With a twinkle in he eye he continues. "And I know JUST where to begin."

"Good clerk," he says, turning to the man at the desk, "is your captain about? I wish to ask a boon of him."
    Last edited by Shular; 2008-06-23 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Punctuation
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

25. - Top - End - #55

John Mulberry

John's face suddenly goes as pale as death, and he has to lean on his knees to avoid falling over. As quickly as the malaise comes upon him it leaves.

Oh no, something horrible is about to happen... or is it, I've never felt that way before, John's thoughts go back to the breakfast that he had this morning from one of Sticky the goblin's friends, it could have easily been *urk* that. No, nothing's wrong, I'm okay. I'm fine.

He straightens up and attempts to look non-chalant.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

DM

The wounded man in the bed slowly looks up at you and squints past a swollen eye. From a cursory glance you can tell that he doesn't look like a farmer... a bit less sunburn and a bit more fat on his flesh.

"Are you... are you heros? *cough* *cough* I came... from Nodnol. Nasty business. Kidnappings. We know who did it... my brothers *cough* *wheeze* the poppies are magic com... *cough*."

He begins to cough weakly until a priestess gives him a cup of medicinal tea, the sip clears him enough to let him continue.

"Garlic protects against it, cultists know... make a... paste *cough* I came to get some... bandits must have found me... nasty little buggers... river ra... *gag*"

Steeling himself, he tries to finish. "My cloak... mix for the proper antidote little thieves probaby thinks its a dip... bring it to the town chemist... the... the..." his voice starts breaking up. "The kidnappers are... *kek*"

The man's head falls limply back on the pillow, his eyes still open.

The priestess tending to him sighs and shakes her head. Carefully shutting his eyelids with her fingers and bringing the blanket up over his head. "Poor man... just saying that much was too much for him." she slowly gets up and picks up the tea tray. "Didn't even have the strength to shut his eyes..." she perks up. "Oh well, a little rest with that blanket over him and he should be up and about within the week... though he should lay off the exposition."

She turns to the group. "If you have any questions... maybe you should tell me. I can ask them casually as he mends. I'll see if I can get a message to you when I find out." she looks around cautiously at the patients and a little at the group and then whispers to John.

Spoiler
    Show

"Some people get nasty stage-fright around heros. Better to get them some medical attention and ask stuff casually over tea. Of course I knew he wouldn't die from it with his wounds tended like they were."

Looking back to the rest of the group she says. "Sooo... anything else you folks need?" she asks, looking warily at another patient with a soldier uniform by his bed. She moves the group into the main room before any other patients spot them and try telling them anything.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DM

The clerk looks alittle nervous at this. "A boon? From the captain? Eh, sorry but I don't think he quite swing that..."

Suddenly the door opens up as a mean-looking dwarf in Captains armor walks through the door. A nasty-looking axe at his hilt, an eyepatch over his right eye and a large wicked-looking hook replacing his left hand... a little speck of fresh blood coating the side of the hook.

"Lieutenant! I want some men out in the market district right now to deal with that rat problem... and the cat problem... and the Brat problem!" He hobbles over to his desk and takes a swig of something explosive. "I swear... the moment a rodents show up in this city in a non-cooked state, the high-born ladies don't have time to look surprised before some dopey little kid with a wooden sword tries slaying it in the name of justice... bloody adventurers..."

The captain gets out a cloth to clean his hook as he notices the dragonborn there. "What do you want?" he asks gruffly.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Baldrej

Baldrej gives a slight bow to the obviously tense dwarf. "Well met, good captain. I do not wish to distract you from your duties, so I will speak briefly. My friend," he gestures at Dyne [assuming the warforged is still there], "and I have chosen to investigate the disappearence of children in Nodnol, and are about to begin recruiting some worthy individuals to join us. An encounter I had with one of your guards earlier leads me to believe he would be ideal for our endeavour. A human, young man, about so tall, with short brown hair and brown eyes, and a seeming dislike for adventure."

"Would you be willing to, umm, loan us the use of this man to assist us in our invesitgation?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Baldrej's Diplomacy is +8 if there is any need for it.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

DM

The captain thinks about it, "Oh, the Nodnol case..." he looks the dragonborn paladin over as if judging his worthiness. He reaches a decision quickly "Yes, I think it would be best to have an officer of the law with you... yes."

He writes up a note and places it inside a thin leather bound book bearing the title 'The Everthorn City Guard Handbook'. "Give him this note, it bears my signature assigning him to work with you. The book should give him some tips if it ever becomes necessary... though he shouldn't need it. The man knows more about this hero business than most folk, I reckon."
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Dyne

It smiled in response to his friends happiness, I bet that the guard will be happy to go help the children in Nodnol. Though why would he have a problem with adventuring? Perhaps because of the danger.
    "Well, we should go tell the good news, right?" It asks Baldrej, prepared to follow him to find the guard.