New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

confused The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

The ship seems unusually quiet, her crew deserted or sullen, her captain no more. His body had been removed by the city guard, his presence now found only in the specters of memory and the blood and sweat he left in the boards and planks.

The fog that has settled over the docks forms white walls in the moonlight, adding to the feelings of loss and foreboding that seem to radiate from the ship. Only the occasional bell or shout pierce through the night to break the heavy air that has settled over the ship.

But, regardless of how much the ship may mourn or how deeply the night and fog may try to hide her during the night, the vessel will set sail in the morning as soon as the passengers arrive. The shimmering seal of one Es'teli'on on the contract was enough to ensure that. Six passengers to be taken on a journey along Xen'Drik's coast, then up a river to the believed location of one of the many ruins of the once powerful giants, and finally returned to Stormreach.

With the journey ahead, it will be more than enough time for the captain's murderer to cover his tracks and escape. If clues were to be found, there were only a few hours to find them. There were no clear suspects, however; if Captain Agarish had any particular enemies, he had never mentioned them over the years.

Yet, if the Captain's murder and the figures that seemed to have trailed the members of the crew lately were related to this upcoming voyage, then protecting the ship and her crew might be the wisest use o the night.

The harbor bells ring out, signaling a change in the watch. The night has just begun.

Recruitment Prologue:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xen'drik, the home of the once powerful giants, a land riddled with ruins, mysteries, and danger. But also the promise of adventure and profit. You have made a living daring the coastlines of this forbidding land, carrying passengers and supplies to small camps and points of exploration along its coast or moving passengers and cargo between Stormreach and Sharn or, occasionally, Pylas Talaer. The loss of lives in the dangerous seas surrounding Xen'drik are not uncommon, but the most recent death has been sudden and tragic. Your captain has been murdered.

You recently put into Stormreach after a successful voyage from the eastern coast of the continent. You had leave in the city for a few days as the ship restocked and Captain Agarish arranged for your next voyage. The scuttlebutt was that the Captain had made a deal with a group of Valenar elves seeking passage to some ruins up a river off the coast of Xen'drik's western front. Soon after these rumors started, so did the trouble.

Cloaked figures began to appear, apparently watching you and your crewmates. Ghostly apparition began to linger in the corners of vision only to vanish, never revealing if what you saw was truly there or merely your imagination. The word began to circulate that your ship had taken on a curse and was doomed on her next voyage. Crewmates were deserting, signing on with other ships, moral was low; then the Captain was found dead.

He was discovered in his cabin, his door barred from the inside, stabbed through the chest with a finely crafted scimitar. No boards were loose, no windows broken. Whomever killed the half-orc had left no evidence of who he was or how he had entered the cabin and no clues other then the single blade. Divination and resurrection magic seemed to fail. The Captain would not return or share the secrets of his death.

What was discovered, however, was two contracts, one binding the ship to the voyage with the elves and the other leaving the ship and its final duties to a small group of his crew, you and a few others. Despite the captain's death, the elves have insisted that they depart on their voyage on the date agreed in the contract. The contract itself was witnessed and approved by the dock master and a powerful patron of the city, Es'teli'on, an elf mage and member of the Twelve. Even if the Captain's mysterious death wasn't worth the time of Stormreach's militia to investigate, a breach of that contact would have severe consequences. As the new owner and captain of the ship, you have little choice but to take on the voyage.

It is the night before you set sail. Who are these elves and what are they after? Has their goal truly cursed the ship? Who murdered the Captain and has watched you throughout the city? Will you survive long enough to find the answers?
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-06-14 at 10:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

Kwikweg goes throughout the ship, asking the remaining crew to assemble in the galley. He's a short, slim, dark-skinned man who wears ill-fitting sailor's clothing. He carries a short sword and a shortbow, both very well-made but standard commercial products that can be bought anywhere in Stormreach. He asks one of the other crew to tell Surge, as if he's afraid of the warforged. After all of the crew have been told he goes to the galley and waits for them.

Kwikweg

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Xenka

Xenka sits up in his bed, stretches himself and yawns lazily. He scratches his messy silver hair and mutters something about the time of the night. He quickly changes out of his scruffy pyjamas, into his immaculate white and silver trimmed Priest Robes.

He is a tall, slender, simple looking man with tan skin, and and would easily pass off as just another Ship Prelate. But his Ruby Red eyes betray his otherworldly heritage.

Once he is ready, he trots off to the Galley along with the others.

Xenka Steele

4. - Top - End - #4

MindFlayer

Farhl

Fahrl draws his cloak around him as he stares out into the mist. As Kwikweg approaches, he turns and nods to him, then sets off to find Surge. He stops before going below deck, turning one last glance towards the mist, his deep black eyes scanning the mists as the harbour lights reflect off his green scales. With that he heads below deck towards the cabin of the warforged giant.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Surge

Farhl finds the massive warforged doing two things that he is often found doing; standing and cleaning himself. In all their time together, the crew can only recall a handful of times where they've seen Surge not standing. Now he stands hunched forwards in his cabin with the back of his head up against the ceiling. There's a reason he doesn't come inside much, except to clean the brine off his armor. When given the call to assemble he gives his shoulder plating a quick wipe to remove the cleaning oil. Reattaching his trusty armblade, he follows Farhl. The hulking barbarian has to duck down even further and turn sideways to fit through his doorway. At the assembly he stands in the back with his arms crossed over his chest.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2008-06-15 at 10:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quid

The little halfling opened one eye, then squeezed it shut again. They need more wind now? Are you kidding me?

That's when the hangover began to go to town. The headache became piercing. Whoever he was competing against in the drinking competition last night, he was certainly not the winner. He really should've just stuck to blowing the sails and that's it...

Finally mustering up the fortitude to survive the headache, the little bard made his way up to the deck... ignoring the statements and just trying his best to maintain his balance on the ship. He arrives topside, his head in his hands.
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zuhaitz

Zuhtiaz mumbled and groaned as he woke and looked out the window. He heard something about meeting in the galley, and replied with a mumble about the absurd hour and that he would be there shortly. He waited for whomever it was that woke him to leave the room, then sat up. He scratched his head, letting his had fall to his shoulder and down along his back, stroking the dark black symbiont co that lived there, a small almost snake like being that rested on his back, connected solely to his neck and directly to his spine and brain. They symbiont squirmed a little and raised itself up, revealing a single eye at end not attached to Zuhaitz. Zuhaitz patted the odd creature on its apparant head and smiled as he stood.

He dressed himself, concealing the small symbiont beneath layers of clothing and his signature deep blue robe, no one could know about the symbiont. He sighed as he gla.nced out at the open waters, checked to make sure that all of his belongings, most notably his spellbook, were intact, and made his way to the galley.

He is a slender man of average height and weight, with no special features other than his grey eyes and the constellation of Hlal marked upon his cheek (which many unfamiliar with him, or dragon prohpets in general, oft mistake for a dragonmark), as well as the many layers of clothing, though most have stopped bothering him about his choice in attire.

EDIT: Forgot something.
    Last edited by DarkSetzer; 2008-06-16 at 08:26 AM.

Spoiler: My Characters
    Show

Ivridda Stonefinder, cartographer and diviner
    Rhovarax "Paxan" Beerbelly, world class tavern brawler
    Gundahar, simple farmer gone berserk

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kwikweg grabs the hilt of his sword as Surge enters, his knuckles whitening. He forces himself to let go and relax, deliberately looking away from the warforged. He waits until everyone has arrived and addresses the crew.
    This ship needs a captain. We must choose one before we can do anything else.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Xenka

Xenka gave (another) large yawn, and replied "So how do we intend to do this then? Secret Ballot? Duelling? Drinking Competition?"

Spoiler
    Show

I thought who is to be captain would be decided OOC, and retconned that Agarish willed the position to him.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-06-16 at 02:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Farhl

The sahuagin slams his fist down onto the table. "This is too important to be decided by some contest. We all have our roles on this ship, we must keep to the chain of command. An officer must assume the role of captain."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Xenka

Xenka shrugged nonchalantly, "Alright then, Officers only. So how do we intend to do this? Secret Ballot among the Officers? Duelling among the Officers? Drinking Competition among the Officers?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kwikweg looks impatient.
    Which officer has the most experience with this ship?

Kwikweg

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Farhl

"Zuhaitz and Xenka are the most qualified. Only they can answer whether they are ready for the responsibility. There can only be one captain though, one voice must guide us, especially in these dark times."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Xenka

"Meh, I'm not one for ordering people around, or I would have stayed with..." another yawn interrupts Xenka before he finishes the sentence. "Besides, I think it would be awkward if I ordered someone get 10 lashes, and then had to patch him up after that. Zuhaitz can fill in for poor ol' Agarish, God rest his soul. That is, if the Dragon Prophet is so inclined..."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zuhaitz

Zuhaitz stood and sighed, the constellation on his cheek glowed dimly in the poor lighting, "If none of you is willing to take command of this vessel... Then I am willing to captain this ship. Though I am no Agarish, and much will change with me as captain."

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quid

It was never quite clear whether Quid was considered an officer or not. Just someone who was incredibly useful in terms of filling the sails.

Despite his headache, the halfling managed.

"Fine. Zuhaitz it is... and all the changes that come with. So... what's the first order, captain?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zuhaitz

"First off, I would like someone to go out and hire us a new crew... I don't like that there are so few of us left, we will need more men to crew this vessel. I don't care who does it, just hire us a new crew... and make sure they are trustworthy... Or at least that they won't try and kill us while we sleep."

"Second, I would like to go back and get some bloodly sleep if there isn't anything else we need to discuss."

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Surge

A loud grumbling laugh, like a troll laughing deep inside a metal tube, emanates from the massive warforged.

"I'll do it. I need the bigger cabin anyways."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Xenka

"I think we should all do the recruiting, spread ourselves out across taverns in the city and the like. Also, I think we should only go about this in the morning. No one we want, would be up at this time of the night."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zuhaitz

"I have no objections to that, I don't care when it gets done. So long as it gets done before we set sail."

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kwikweg nods.
    We should leave the recruiting until the morning. But we still have a murder that the militia don't seem interested in solving. I want to look at that scimitar.

Kwikweg

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

Farhl

"Agarish is dead. If we find out who did this to him, then I will feed them to the sharks. Perhaps the scimitar will help us. Find out who's weapon it was, that will be a start."

"Now, who is on watch tonight. It may be that whoever killed Agarish sought to end this voyage before it began, and may return to finish their work."
    A smile spreads across his face, revealing a mouthful of sharp fangs. "I would like that."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Surge

"I will take the watch" The warforged turns and walks away from the group, finding himself a good place on deck to stand and keep watch.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quid

"Tomorrow morning, we should also take a count of the crew. Who wants to stay on the voyage under our new captain, and what roles we already have filled... Would be good to have an 'Intention' for the rest of the folk. That way we aren't doubling up too much on duties."

If nothing else is stated, the halfling will scurry back to bed. His head still throbbed.

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

Farhl

"I cannot sleep easily while Agarish's murderer still breathes. I will search the cabin again, perhaps there is some clue we missed."

The sahaugin turns to leave, heading for the murder scene whilst offering a whispered prayer to the spirits of the deep to guide his eyes.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2008-06-18 at 05:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Xenka

"Well, the Scimitar was taken by the Militia, so if we really want, we could drop by the Garrison, and request to give it a look over. And we should probably do it in the morning, before we go recruiting, when the guards aren't nearly as grumpy or drunk." Xenka said as he stretched himself lazily. "For now the best we can do is search round the ship, to see if there is anything those drunk grumps missed."

"Bah! only an hour till dawn anyway, I might as well help the Sahaugin wannabe." Xenka, stood up and shuffled off.

Spoiler
    Show

Search: (1d20+2)[16]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kwikweg looks thoughtful.
    I'll go and help with the search. But before I go, did any of you recognise the scimitar? Did you ever see the captain wearing it, or see it in his cabin? The reason I ask is that he was killed behind a door barred from the inside, and he can't be resurrected. There's all kinds of magic which could explain that, but there's also a much simpler explanation.
    Kwikweg hesitates, trying to find the right phrasing.
    It's possible the captain killed himself. He can't be resurrected because he doesn't want to come back.
    Kwikweg leaves the galley and goes to the captain's cabin to help with the search.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know you guys can't actually answer Kwikweg's question, even if your characters would know the answer. But you could roll a skill check for "remembering if you saw the scimitar before", probably Local Knowledge, and get Mantid to tell you the answer. I'll do it for Kwikweg:
    Local Knowledge: "Have I seen the scimitar before the captain's death?" (1d20+2)[13]. But he's only been here a few days so the other characters will know more.
    Search For evidence connected to the captain's death. (1d20+2)[13]

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

Farhl

"Agarish was murdered, he did not kill himself. Why magically bar the door? all he would need to do is close it. Why and how would he be able to mask divinations? Someone, or something, did this to him, and they may well have captured his soul. If that is the case, then we can find and free him. That is my hope."

Farhl pauses, then turns to Xenka.

"A sahaugin is made, not born. I am no wannabe."

29. - Top - End - #29

Xenka, Farhl, & Kwikweg:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digging through the Captain's quarters doesn't turn up much out of the ordinary. The only items you manage to find that stick out are some papers that seem to have been recently written. It seems the captain had been doing research as of late, although the connection between the subjects elude you.

There are notes on Du'Rashka Tul, a giant term meaning "the madness of crowds", a supposed curse on Xen'Drik some believe leads large civilizations to be gripped by a homicidal madness causes them to seek out and kill anything they encounter until, at last, they themselves are destroyed.

A couple notes cover rumors and news from another small city on Xen'Drik called Dar Qat in which some well guarded artifact was recently stolen.

A few of the notes cover legends of an ancient battle between the Giants and invaders from another plane.

One note, however, stands out for its lack of connection to Xen'Drik. It is page crowded with notes about the contentment of Aerenal and the Undying Court the elves of the contentment worship. Unfortunately the cramped writing and smeared letters make it hard to make out most of what the pages saids. Apparently the Captain wrote it in a hurry and didn't have time to fetch more paper or to let the ink dry.

Xenka:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your religious studies do reveal a few faiths and a couple cultures where the scimitar is commonly used.

The obvious choice is the followers of the Traveler, the god of chaos and change, who favors the scimitar as his weapon. The priests of the Traveler often wander long distances seeking to find ways to upset order and cause change, regardless of the harm it may cause, sometimes adopting false identities for years at a time. In addition changelings, doppelgangers, shifters, and lycanthropes often worship the Traveler as well, making it even harder to identify the chaotic god's followers.

Another faith that might use the scimitar is the Undying Court, worshiped by the elves of Aerenal. It is believed that on Aerenal a select group of exceptional elves continue to live beyond death, forming the pantheon of the Court. Although the more devote priests favor the exotic double scimitar, many Aerani elves have taken to using the easily wielded single bladed scimitar in it stead.

This practice also spread to the Undying Court's splinter sects, including the less specific ancestor worship practiced by the Valenar elves. The practice of wielding a scimitar is even more pronounced in Valenar then it is in Aerenal, in fact, and few warriors of Valenar would be found without one.

Kwikweg:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't recall anything particular about the scimitar in Stormreach.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Xenka

Glancing through the the papers Agarish left behind, Xenka comments, "Hmm... interesting. From what I can recall, Scimitars are commonly used by followers of the Traveler, by elves of Aerenal who follow the Undying Court, and by the various Undying Court splinter sects, especially the Valenar elves."

Rifling through the Agarish's papers he continues, "Now on one hand, we have Valenar elves who comissioned the journey. On the other, here we have a bunch of scribbles about the Undying Court of the Aerenal. It would seem to me that both are most likely to be connected to this."

Glancing through the hastily scribbled notes on the Aerenal contentment, he remarks, "And Agarish certainly wrote this in a hurry. I can barely make out anything at all..."

Spoiler
    Show

Decipher Script: (1d20+2)[3]

Edit: Doh!
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-06-19 at 10:36 AM.