Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 202
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    "It could be the elves did this, or perhaps they are being framed. Either way, we need to keep a close eye on our passengers."

    The bosun looks through the papers again, searching for some hidden clue, but none is forthcoming.

    "I wonder is our commission has anything to do with this theft in Dar Qat? and why the interest with the gaints? Were the elves not servants of the giants long ago, or was it enemies? My knowledge of ancient history is not great."

    Farhl starts to leave the room, then pauses in the doorway.

    "Perhaps we should hire a sage to join our crew. No, that would be foolish. I must get some rest for the dawn is fast approaching."

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    (FINALLY! It finally decides to load!)

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz sat where he was in the gally for a few minutes, watching most of what was left of the crew leave to search for clues as to the previous captain. After a few moments, he stood, let out a hefty sigh, and returned to his bedchamber to get some more rest.
    Avatar by Ceika

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Fahrl's right. Whoever killed the captain certainly didn't leave that scimitar there by accident. We were meant to find it. They're either trying to frame the elves - or it's exactly what it looks like, and they're trying to intimidate us. Either way, we have to be careful. Someone lock those papers up where the elves won't find them. When they get on board, someone should get them talking, try to find out more about them. Someone more diplomatic than me, that is.

    Kwikweg
    Last edited by gareth; 2008-06-20 at 06:02 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka scratched his head thoughtfully, "Well, if any evidence we find may be planted, than its as good as not finding it at all. As for milking the elves for info, I don't think any of us are talkers. Although if we work together we might come up with something."

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Sneeks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cornfield(s), IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Quid

    Quid rotated in his bed, still sleeping. The cause of the captain's murder troubled him no further than a violent thunderstorm. Even with the magical door closed shut, the halfling was convinced it was some sort of suicide. What sort of magic exists than keeps a resurrection from occuring? If someone spent the money on him, he'd be glad of the second chance at life. Such resources wouldn't go to waste, no sir.
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg
    So we don't have a diplomat on board? Maybe we could try to recruit one. Anyway, working together sounds fine. Just try not to make it seem like an interrogation. They are paying for this.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl wakes early, and sets to work making the Spear ready to sail. Provisions and supplies are checked and re-checked. Ropes are examined to ensure they are seaworthy and the patches on the sails are tested to ensure they will hold. It is hard work, but it needs to be done.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Sneeks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cornfield(s), IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Quid

    Quid awoke with a start. Looking around his dim cabin, he saw nothing but empty beds. Well, if there was a time for waking.. this was probably it.

    The halfling wiped his eyes as he stepped out onto the dock and noticed Kwikweg diligently working. Passing on by without offering to help, he moved his way aft to discover if there was a snack he could find. There must be some bit of biscuit or something down there... Then, after his food was found, he'd get to work.
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Dawn found Xenka meditating on the deck. When he finished, he carried out whatever else needed to be done (like recruiting 3 Sailor-Carpenter-Siege Engineers).

    Finally, he put on his best robes, neatly combed his messy silver hair, and generally made himself more presentable than he normally was, "Look lively. We have guests coming aboard, and we need to make sure they feel welcome... even if they might have had something to do with Agarish's death."

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg climbs the main mast shortly after dawn and looks out across the ocean, trying to predict the winds and spot signs of bad weather.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check to reach top of mast: (1d20+12)[19]
    Knowledge: Geography check "What will the weather and wind speed and direction be for the next 12 hours?": (1d20+11)[27]
    Profession: Sailor check "How do the results of the previous check affect how the ship should be sailed?": (1d20+14)[16]

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz woke early, and spent an hour or so pouring over his books, preparing for the day ahead. When finished, he made his appearance on deck and set himself to work, making sure that everything was in proper order and that everyone was doing whatever they could to ensure a swift and safe voyage.
    Avatar by Ceika

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    The sun has just begun to lighten up the fog of the night when your hired hands arrive. A pair of humans, Greyth and Hoyard Geard, a seige engeneer and a carpenter respectcfully, and a wavecrest gnome who happily bills himself as "Namac Nallac Gonsol the Third provider of all services ship related".

    The morning is still young when six figures emerge from the receding fog, making their way down the wooden docks toward the gangplank to the ship. As they approach the fog gradually reveals details about your passengers. They all appear to be of average height for an elf except for one notably short member, who stands a head shorter then any of the others. Four of them wear leather armor adorned with a few apparently decorative medallions. One of the others wears an odd assortment of baggy cloths tied tight at various points with strips of cloth, while the last, waking in the lead, wears a worn brown robe with its hood pulled over the head. Of the four wearing leather armor, three of them carry scimitars at their sides, while the fourth carries a double scimitar swung across his back. One of the elves seems to have a couple daggers strapped to his scimitarís sheath. The remaining two appear to be unarmed.

    They stop at the foot of the gangplank and the hooded figure motions for the scimitar and dagger wielding elf to announce them. The elf steps forward with a grin and shouts ďEsítalíen and company requesting permission to board the The Lucky Windspear for our voyage to the west!Ē

    Kwikweg
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weather is predicted by Knowledge: Nature. To your untrained eye, however, it looks like it'll be clear sailing.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz steps forth, positioning himself atop the gangplank leading onto the ship, blocking any from actually setting foot on the ship for the moment,"Very well. I am Zuhaitz, acting captain of this vessel. However, before we depart, there are a few things I would like to discuss about the voyage." As he spoke the constellation mark glowed dimly upon his cheek.
    Avatar by Ceika

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The bosun stood behind his captain, arms crossed in front of him. "Follow me and I'll show you to your cabin."

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg climbs down from the mast and joins the group. He doesn't say anything to the elves.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    The grinning elf nods and steps aside for the hooded figure to lead the way. You can't see much of the hooded figure, his brown robes with its large hood hide any details you might see. You get the impression that he is wearing a mask of some stylized skull under the shadows of his hood. He nods and gives alight bow. "I am Esítalíen," he announces in a tough, strangled voice. He waves an aged, emaciated hand at each of the elves as they board the ship, announcing their names.

    The grinning elf follows close behind. He wears the darkest colored leather of the group, his medallions lacking the bright shine the othersí posses. His long brown hair is pulled back into a neat braid that he has draped over his left shoulder. It would likely reach mid-way down his back if it hung straight. His eyes are brown, but seem to flash red when the light strikes them in the right manner. His scimitar is strapped on his right side, and his right hand hangs from on its immaculately clean hilt, close to the higher of the two daggers in smaller sheaths attacked the scimitarís. "Melsitel."

    The only female of the group is next. Her bright green eyes are highlighted by the green ribbon woven into her elaborately braided hair, which seems to be the only sign of femininity in the woman; the rest of her speaks of warrior. Her skin is weathered and tight, a jagged scar crossing her right cheek. Her stance and muscles tell you she has likely been a warrior from her birth and will be until her death, not to mention the worn and dirty leather straps that cover the hilt of her scimitar. "Celidea."

    The shortest elf is next, his long golden hair bouncing with each step. Between his sharp, attractive face and powerful but tones muscles, you could almost believe he was some elf maidenís fantasy given life, at least if it wasnít for his diminutive height. He wears a scimitar at his side, but the handle of another weapon peeks out from underneath the shield he has strapped to his back. "Nelsrial."

    The next elf seems to be a bad mood. A deep frown and furled brow sour his face. Half of his head is shaven, revealing a large scar and slightly misshapen skull. He stands slightly slumped as he examines his surrounding disapprovingly. "Besc."

    Finally the double scimitar wielding elf boards. Apparently the youngest elf, he also is the most distinctive. His hair is dyed red, green, and purple. His ears sport several rings, as well as a single ring in his lip. He smiles slightly as he examines the ship and her crew. "Alimor."

    "Now," the hooded leader replies. "I'm an sure there are many things we must discuss. Journey in this cursed land is never easy, and I and my men want to help make this trip as quickly and safely as we can. Melsitel and I would be happy to meet with Captain Agarish and discuss whatever matters are needed. Where is the good captain?"
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-06-27 at 10:48 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka steps forward, raises his hand to quiet the rest and replies, "I am not sure if you have heard, but Agarish is dead. He was found with a blade in his chest in his cabin. As has been mentioned, Zuhaitz is now the acting Captain."
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-06-27 at 09:53 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg looks at the hooded figure with great suspicion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Nature check, "Is it possible that Esítalíen is some race other than elf?" (1d20+2)[15]

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz nodded, "Indeed, it is as Xenka said. As such, all discussion about the oncoming voyage will be with me, and any of the other crew members should the wish to be present."
    Avatar by Ceika

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Check their faces for surpirse or recognition when they are told that Agarish is dead.

    (d20)[8]

    (I'll add my modifer when mythweavers is available again).

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    The elves shift uneasily at the mention of Agarish's murder. "I see," Esítalíen replies. "It seems that my caution was insufficient. I am truly sorry. He was a very capable and astute man. We had received word there had been trouble on the ship, of course, but I'm afraid that detail escaped mention.

    "Still, we must depart the harbor today. Our patron, Es'teli'on, is not a forgiving man. He expects us to be on the seas today and if we are not... well, he has the favor of several of the dragonmarked houses. The penalties and pressures he can place against all of might make death the more merciful choice."

    He waves his hand for the ginning elf again, who pulls a couple charts out of his haversack. "We will have plenty of time to discuss this at sea. For now we should discuss our course, settle any final arrangements, and set sail."

    Kwikweg
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, the cloaked figure is, indeed, an elf.


    Fahrl
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get the feeling that their reaction to the news of the captain's death is more out of a concern for their own safety rather than any surprise.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    "Alright, Discuss away."

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz nodded and stepped aside, motioning for the elves to board the Lucky Windspear, "I suppose you are correct on such matters, please, come aboard. I will personally show you to your chambers so that you might drop off your belongings before we sit and discuss the voyage." He paused for a moment, "Oh, and perhaps you would like something to eat? Surely you are hungry? I'm sure we can whip something up for you."
    Avatar by Ceika

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Sneeks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cornfield(s), IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Quid

    Quid listened lazily from the upper deck to the conversation below. Man, elves must be very focused individuals if they still want to leave on a cursed ship. At Zehaitz mention of food, Quid pipes up, "I might be able to assist with that."
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    The elves move their belongings, little more then what they carry and some basic camping and exploration equipment, and quickly begin the discussions.

    Melsitel rolls out the two charts on a table and over some near by barrels and crates. One chart is a map of Xen'drik's north western coast, starting a short distance to the south west of Stormreach and extending toward Skyraker Claws mountains. The second map seems to be a more detailed map of the Skyraker Claws. Both maps have carefully written notes on them in some language of elegant, twisting characters.

    Esítalíen points a bony figure at the first map. "I'm sure you recognize this," he says. "Since there is little reason for a ship to sail to the Menechtarum desert, we were uncertain if you would have a chart of these areas. This map is one of the most detailed to be found."

    He traces his finger along to map until it points to the Skyraker Claws. "Those more familiar with maps of this region may notice a difference here. A large river and lake in the mountains that no other map marks. This other map is a more detailed chart of that area. That lake is our destination.

    "We believe that at that lake there is a hidden fortress, one left over from one of the giants' ancient wars. Because it is so well hidden, the treasures and mysteries inside must be of great worth, and it is those mysteries we are after.

    "Unfortunately, there are those who believe these secrets should be left alone. They will do whatever they must to stop us from reaching this goal. Now that we are aboard, we should depart quickly, before they have a chance to stop us. If we are not armed for battle, we need to prepare the ship as quickly as possible."

    ((You can use Knowledge: Religion, Geography, or Royalty to identify the language on the maps. Knowledge: Geography can be used to study the map for details.))

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg frowns at the map.
    We're happy to take you wherever you want, but you should prepare to be disappointed. Just because the river and lake don't appear in other maps doesn't mean there's some conspiracy hiding it. They could have dried up over the centuries, or they could be completely fake. Where did you get this map, anyway?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Geography "What language is the map written in?" (1d20+11)[15] Knowledge : Geography "Is there any indication that the map has been faked?" (1d20+11)[19]
    Last edited by gareth; 2008-07-02 at 07:33 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka peers through the maps while remarking, "Well, if it did dry up, it just means we have to go by foot."

    With a frown he adds, "But I am more concerned with those who would try to stop this voyage. Since they know about this place, even though it has disappeared from the charts, that probably means that they knew about it before it disappeared. They might possibly even have known it since the time of the Giants. But the greater implication therein, is that they were the ones who deliberately and systematically erased it from the charts."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+11)[19]

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    "A hidden fortress you say. Do you know who it belonged to? Is it occupied now? Do you know who wants these secrets left hidden, or what form their attempts to stop us will take? If we are prepare for war, I would like to know what form this war will take."

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    "It belonged to the giants of course," Esítalíen explains. "Perhaps the most powerful civilization Eberron has ever know, except, perhaps for the dragons. I have every confidence that it is there and undisturbed. The giants hid it well. Only a few people could ever find the entrance to the river, which is why this may be the only chart that marks its location.

    "It isn't a war we seek there, just knowledge and artifacts. There are groups that aren't so enlightened, however. They believe we would use the weapons ourselves."

    Kwikweg
    Spoiler
    Show
    The language on the maps seems familiar, although rare. After a moments though you're certain you've seen examples of it from the land of Riedra, a land far across the seas, and home to perhaps one of the largest nations on Eberron. It is a closed land, however, unwelcoming to foreigners. It has only been recently that they have begun to send ambassadors to other nations.

    As for the map, it seems authentic enough. Aside form the river and lake, everything matches us, as best as it can, with other maps you've seen. The exceptional quality of the map tells you that it may not be the original, however.


    Xenka
    Spoiler
    Show
    In your religious studies you recall coming across that written language before. The Path of Inspiration, the faith was called. They believe in reincarnation and are lead by men they believe are possessed by the spirits of their gods. The faith isn't common on this side of Eberron, with Xen'drik being the largest group of them in this part of the world, particularly around the city of Dar Qat.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-07-03 at 06:16 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    "Well, if it is so well hidden and preserved, there may even be giants or their descendents there." Xenka commented as he proceeded to make final preparations for the voyage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •