Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 202
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Esítalíen nods. "I am certain it is still there," he explains. "I've dedicated several years to uncovering its location. Just as I have no doubt that giants and their former servants may still be in the area..."

    Melsitel interrupts. "We have told you where we are headed, we should set sail immediately. If we wait too long, our enemies may try to prevent us from leaving the harbor."

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Conditions are fine for sailing. We can leave as soon as the course is plotted. I'll start right away.
    Kwikweg takes the large-scale map of the coast back to his cabin and uses it with the ship's maps to plot a course to their destination.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Geography) check: "Plot a course from Stormreach to the safe landing point on the coast that's nearest to the lake and river. If the river reaches the coast, plot a course to the mouth of the river" (1d20+11)[19] Profession (Sailor) check for the course plotted, if necessary: (1d20+14)[26]

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz nodds and stands after his long silence, "You have put a lot of effort into preparing yourselves for this journey, I hope we do not disappoint you. I myself join you in looking forward to the knowledge and secrets that this location may hold. Perhaps it will even hint at the dragon prophecies of old." He shrugged, "We will set sail as soon as we are able. I will go and join Kwikweg in plotting our course, when that is finished we will run a final check of everything on board, then set sail." He walked out and followed Kwikweg.

    ((Sorry for the absence of posting, busy week))
    Last edited by DarkSetzer; 2008-07-07 at 12:07 PM.
    Avatar by Ceika

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The bosun turns and leaves. He heads on deck and starts to busy himself checking the ropes, whilst scanning the port to see if the Spear is attracting any unwarranted attention.

    Spot check (d20+9)[20]

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    With the course laid, the Windspear is ready to set sail. Esítalíen makes his way below decks, where his distinctive voice is heard chanting. The other elves remain on deck and do their best to help in managing the duties of their contract. Although they are not professional sailors, the skills they have learned from their previous voyages make them competent enough deckhands.

    Qualia
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fog has lifted enough that you can make out the surrounding piers and docks. As the ship sails out of the harbor, your sharp eyes catch sight of three figures that seem to be paying extra attention to the ship leaving. You can't make out exact details, but you can tell two of them are large and brutish, while the man standing between them is slender and delicate with apparently blue or light green hair. If it wasn't for his apparently height, you would assume he was a elf.


    Despite Esítalíenís worries that others may attempt to stop the Spear from leaving, the ship encounters no resistance as it leaves the harbor of Stormreach and makes its way into open waters. Little happens on the first day of the voyage. The sky is clear, the winds favorable, and, although other ships are seen in the morning, no threats present themselves.

    As the ship falls into its rotation of watches, you have the opportunity to observe your passengers as they work beside you, except for the enigmatic Esítalíen, who remains below decks, hidden away in his cramped living space.

    Info on Melsitel:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Melsitel maintains a cheerful attitude, seeming to take everything in stride with a air of confidence and amusement. He proves to be very dexterous, displaying skills with daggers and ropes that are almost uncanny. He is quite talkative, but his answers are generally elusive when asked about himself, Esítalíen, or other specifics of the voyage. Not even his companions seem to know much about him.


    Info on Celidea:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Celidea, the only woman in the party of elves, tackles her assignments with determination and dedication. She seems to relish any new challenge she can find, and is always trying to help in any task she hasnít already been a part of. While on her watch, she talks little, generally only asking questions about her duties or replying to answers relating to the task at hand. When off duty, she is often seen meditating or practicing with her sword, at least as best she can on the ship, neither of which leaves much opportunity to talk with her. Nelsrial speaks fondly of her, however, and tells you of exploits of great bravery and honor from the elf maiden.


    Info on Melsrial:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Nelsrial works hard and keeps a good attitude, except when the butt of height jokes from his comrades, which is frequently, particularly since Namac, your over-eager gnome hiring has taken a liking to him. Nelsrial is more then happy to talk and hear about past adventures, whether they happened on land or on sea. You gather that he is an experienced warrior, having worked with Celidea and Besc during the Last War and speaks proudly of them and their exploits. One adventure he seems reluctant to speak about, however, was a recent voyage to the east of Xenídrik.


    Info on Besc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Besc goes about his duties without complaint, or much of any word outside of the occasional grunt. Most of the day goes by before you even hear a deep, gravely ďAyeĒ from him. He constantly frowns and seems unhappy and upset about being on the ship. Melsrial explains that Besc was exceptionally bound to his horse, more so than most Valenar elves, who are renowned for the skills with the scimitar and upon the horse. To Besc, he left a part of himself behind when he boarded the ship to Xenídrik, but he would not leave the side of his long time companions, Celidea and Nelsrial.


    Info on Alimor:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Alimor is the only problem among the elves. He seems anxious and irritated, and often slacks in his duties, instead standing there scanning the horizon, looking, perhaps eager for any ships or monsters. He is often confrontational, and youíre certain he is iching for a fight. The presence and stern look of Besc often mollifies the bright haired elf, however, and by the end of the day youíve made sure those two work the same watch. Nelsrail explains that Alimor lives for the fight and, even though he is the youngest among them, he is probably the most dangerous fighter.


    Midway through the second day, dark clouds appear on the eastern horizon. The winds and waves begin to pick up as the storm moves closer. It soon becomes obvious that the storm is going to overtake the ship in a short while.

    ((Edit: Errr... Survival check for weather info ))
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-07-07 at 10:26 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    "Captain, do you want to ride out the storm, or should we try to take shelter?"

    The changeling walked to the stern of the ship, offering up mumbled incantations to nameless gods whilst staring out into the storm.

    Survival check = (d20+9)[29]

    Farhl then produced a small bag, out of which he pulled a small chunk of bloddy red meat. He took a small bite, then flung it into the wake of the boat. He repeated this ritual three times, then sat, waiting, scanning the sea for a sight of a dorsal fin as he waited to see whether his shark companion had heard his call.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg stares out at the approaching storm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check: (1d20+2)[13]
    Profession: sailor check "What should the ship's crew do to prepare for the storm?" (1d20+14)[29]

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    "Hmm... Doesn't look like we can outrun it."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Untrained Survival Check: (1d20+2)[18]

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz watches the approaching storm for a moment, then nodds, "I think it best that we wait out the storm... Preferably finding a safe spot to wait it out. Though if the storm is not to severe, and should we be able to operate during it, then we shall press on."


    Spoiler
    Show

    Survival check: (1d20+1)[20]
    Avatar by Ceika

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg
    Spoiler
    Show
    The storm looks like it will be full of strong, gusty winds and plenty of lightning. Keeping the crew at deck level is a wise precaution for their own safety as is making sure all lines and cargo are securely in place. Furling the sails may prevent damage to them and keep the winds from blowing the ship off its intended course.


    Xenka & Zuhaitz
    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks to be quite the lightning storm headed your way, full of strong winds. Its not typical of this time of year and, furthermore, it doesn't seem to be moving naturally with the existing weather. You're certain this is not a natural storm that is headed toward you.


    Farhl
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is no natural storm. It is moving slightly diagonal to the wind, aiming straight for the ship rather then following the expected weather patterns. Although you can see lightning arcing through the clouds, you don't see any striking the water, another oddity of this unseasonal storm.

    There is also something about the movement of the water below the storm that bothers you, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is.

    The white fin of your animal companion peeks out of the water near the meat, but the shark doesn't eat, it just swims around nervously.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-07-08 at 05:56 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Realizing the Storm was not natural, Xenka tried to identify what magic was causing it, "Captain, it looks like someone is trying to stop us."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spellcraft: (1d20+9)[20] Edit: +2 (Forgot to add Int modifier )
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-07-08 at 09:06 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    "I do not think we can find a safe spot to wait this out. Xenka is right, this is unnatural and it is heading for us, ignoring wind and wave. The storm may be the least or our problems, for I fear that there may be something beneath the waves. We should prepare ourselves."

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg turns to face the crew.
    Magic storm or not, we need to get those sails furled before it hits. We also need to secure the cargo, stop it bouncing around and hitting us. Come on!
    He runs for the mast, gesturing for the crew to follow. He starts lowering the main sail.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Profession (Sailor) check: "Get the sails furled as fast as possible, working with the rest of the crew." (1d20+14)[21]

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Seeing the arcs of lightning within the clouds, Xenka thinks for a bit and then turns to the Druid, "Farhl, it seems they may try to smite us with lightning. Do you have Mass Energy Resistance prepared?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Xenka will aid another on rolls to prepare ship for storm, since he doesn't exactly have the highest Profession Sailor Ranks around.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-07-09 at 09:30 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz studied the approaching storm for a moment as the others spoke, then wheeled around to face them, "Right, everyone needs to do what they can to prepare the ship for this storm. Tie down anything that isn't secure, and take down the sails as quickly as possible." He then turned to address the elves, "Prepare yourselves for this storm, it isn't natural. Go and tell Esítalíen, then make yourselves safe in anyway you can. Make sure that you, and your belongings, are secure. Hopefully we will make it through this." He turned again and nodded to the rest of the crew, "Well! Get to work!", then quickly began moving about the deck, grabbing ropes and securing any loose objects: barrels, crates, etc.

    He muttered to himself, "How I wish my magic were more suited for this lifestyle..."
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spellcraft to identify the magic of the storm (if any): (1d20+14)[26]
    ...Profession(Sailor)? to start securing things: [/roll]1d20+9[/roll]
    Avatar by Ceika

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Spoiler
    Show

    Whoops, messed up the Profession roll:
    (1d20+9)[11]
    yar.
    Avatar by Ceika

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Sneeks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cornfield(s), IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Quid

    As usual, the little bard was sleeping on the job again. One solid jolt of noise outside got him up and out of bed readily enough. While wholly unreliable, Quid took it as a matter of pride to be useful when he could be.

    Mumbling a stocatto beat, he attempts to lessen the force of the winds on the crew.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quid will expend a use of bardic music to use his windsinger feat. The winds will continue to blow at their pace, but they should have one step less of an effect on the crew.
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    "I don't know that incantation Xenka, I am used to using lightning as a weapon, not having it used upon me."

    The Bosun turned bakc to large white shark, and signalled for it to take shelter from the approaching storm. Spinning on his heel, he ran towards the rigging, and started making the ship safe.

    Profession Sailor (d20+8)[18]

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the storm draws closer you can see that there is summoning magic involved. You're not sure what kind of extraplanar creatures may be hiding in the storm, however.


    Everyone hurries around, getting Spear ready for the storm, which continues its unerring flight toward the ship. Soon the waves are are crashing against the side of the ship, splashing water onto the deck, however, under Kwikweg's orders, the ship manages to remain in control.

    Quid's song helps keep the winds down, but strong gusts still rake across the ship, carrying with it sharp, cold sprays of water.

    ((Someone needs to take the helm and will be making Profession: Sailor checks))

    Edit: Oops. Straightened out the names.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-07-10 at 10:25 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantid View Post
    ((Someone needs to take the helm and will be making Profession: Sailor checks))
    Well, Kwikweg has the highest Profession Sailor among us so he seems best for the job

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantid View Post
    Xenka's song helps keep the winds down, but strong gusts still rake across the ship, carrying with it sharp, cold sprays of water.
    Quid is the Windsinger, not Xenka.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-07-10 at 09:49 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Spoiler
    Show
    [QUOTE=Mantid;4561905]Zuhaitz
    however, under Kwikweg's orders, the ship manages to remain in control.


    Edit: Oops. Straightened out the names. QUOTE]

    Also...Zuhaitz is acting captain, so wouldn't it be under his orders? Not Kwikweg's?
    Anyway...


    Zuhaitz glanced up from his work for a moment, long enough to shout at the others, "I don't like the looks of this! There seems to be some form of summoning taking place within the storm! It does not bode well for us!"
    Avatar by Ceika

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg shouts into the howling wind.
    I'll take the helm!
    He runs to the ship's wheel and grabs it, struggling to stay standing in the wind and spray.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Profession (sailor) check: "Keep the ship as safe as possible from the storm, without worrying about which direction it's moving"(1d20+14)[17]

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The Bosun makes his way back to the stern of the ship, fighting against the wind and spray, narrowing his eyes to scan the storm, seeking to catch a glimpse of anything hiding within its fury.

    Spot check (d20+9)[29]

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    The rain has begun to beat down on the deck as the clouds surround you. The waves beat on the prow of the ship, sending water over the rails. The air crackles with static as lightning flashes through the dark mists above.

    Farhl is the first to see the beast as it emerges from hiding inside clouds. The exact size and shape of the creature is hard to determine, it seems to be little more than black clouds wrapped around a body of energy. Its eyes and gaping mouth are filled with the crackling light of electricity and seem to grin gleefully and a smokey hand reaches out and grabs the top of the ship's aft mast. Gripping the fore mast with another hand, the monster seems to drag itself downward toward the ship, Coming to a stop about halfway down the rigging.

    ((Combat reminder - no intitative, actions happen in the order they are posted, the monster taking the last turn.

    Creature is about 20ft above the deck. You can climb the rigging to reach it, with a DC of 10 for 1/4 your speed or DC 15 for 1/2 your speed.

    Whomever is at the helm need to make a Profession: Sailor check))

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka squints his eyes, trying to identify the creature.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+11)[23]
    Knowledge The Planes: (1d20+6)[18]

    Xenka has Bull Strength and Shield of Faith (+3 Deflection AC for 6 minutes) prepared, so if anyone wants those let me know.

    For this round, if anyone requests, Xenka can move up to him and cast the requested buff.

    Otherwise Xenka will cast Shield of Faith on himself.


    Effects:
    Swimming in the Styx: Water breath, Swim speed equals land speed, +8 to Swim checks, able to take 10 on swim checks.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognize this creature as a living storm native to Kythri, the plane of chaos. Being a creature of the elements, it lacks many of the weaknesses of flesh and blood creatures. It has no need to eat, sleep, or even breath, it can not be paralyzed or stunned, and it has no vital organs to protect.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    As soon as he sees the creature Kwikweg grabs his shortbow and aims it, then hesitates as he realises how useless it would be. He calls out to the rest of the crew.
    Someone blast that thing!
    He drops the shortbow and turns back to the wheel, doing what little he can to protect the ship.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Profession (Sailor) check: do whatever's necessary to minimise damage to the ship (1d20+14)[34]

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The bosun takes a step back when he sees the horror they must face. Cursing his lack of courage, he dons his Cephaloid Mask, the tentacles wrapping around his face to hold it in place, then grasps his shark tooth necklace, activating the ancient magics to bless his allies in this upcoming conflict.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DarkSetzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Zuhaitz

    Zuhaitz mutters a curse under his breath as he watches the beast emerge from the clouds. He stands for a moment in shock and awe, then weaves his hands and makes a minor arcane chant, putting up the most basic of his defenses.

    ((Casting Mage Armor))
    Avatar by Ceika

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Although the winds and wave threaten to turn the ship, Kwikweg's manages to keep the Spear pointed into the waves, keeping the ship as stable as possible and preventing waves of water from washing up over the deck.

    Surge and Quid take up defensive positions, uncertain on how to face the cloudy horror.

    Celidea and Nelsrial draw their scimitars and move toward the aft mast, keeping an eye on the more experienced sailors of the Spear for a clue as to how to handle this unusual threat.

    Besc takes a more direct approach, jumping onto the rigging and climbing half way to the beast. He seems almost relieved to have something to fight, his scowl loosening into mere frown.

    Melsitel pulls one of his daggers out and flips it over, catching it by the blade ready to throw. "What is that?" he shouts to no one in particular.

    Hoyard and Namac flee below deck for their own safety. They know they don't have the skills or experience to stand up against this creature.

    The storm creature gazes over around. Although its expression is hard to read, it almost seems bored with the little figures moving around the deck. Lightning crackles in its mouth as it turns toward the forward mass, throwing itself against it. The wood creaks and a few small snaps are heard, but the mast remains standing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •