Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 202
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The shark struggles to shake off the effects of the blow, then heads off in pursuit of the unseen creature. Without any blood to track, he has difficulty, instead trying to follow it's wake.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot (1d20+9)[25]


    Once the trail has been sighted, the shark races off, making the most of it's hasted status as it attempts to clamp it's jaws on the creature again.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage (1d6+3)[5]
    Concealment (1d100)[38]

    Attack [roll] (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage [roll] (1d6+3)[9]
    Concealment (1d100)[81]

    (Current hp - 17)

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Sneeks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cornfield(s), IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Quid

    The wheel was easily overwhelming the poor halfling. He gets a little anxious to see the number of folks dive off into the water.

    "Hey guys? If we're abandoning ship into the water... I'm all for it. But shouldn't we all go at the same time?"

    Opting not to abandon the airbreathers, the halfling will remain on deck near the wheel, struggling to hold on.
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg is calmer now. He moves a few feet through the water towards where he thinks the creature is, and jabs twice with his shortsword.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Underwater equivalent of a five-foot step towards the creature. Full-round attack, 2 attacks from Haste.
    To hit: (1d20+10)[13]
    If it threatens: (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage: (1d6)[6]
    Critical hit damage: (1d6)[4]
    Second attack:
    To hit: (1d20+10)[30]
    If it threatens: (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage: (1d6)[3]
    Critical hit damage: (1d6)[3]

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    (Kwikweg)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concealment (1d100)[68]

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    (Kwikweg)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concealment for second attack: (1d100)[99]

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    The creature in the water proves impossible to find. The turning currents cover any indication of its path, and the unseen foe doesn't seem to displace water as an invisible creature normally would. Nothing seems to reveal its location until it again crashes into the side of the ship, cracking more wood.

    Above the water, Hoyard rushes up from below decks. "We're taking on water," he shouts. Pointing to Besc, Celidea, and Nelsrial he continues. "You three! Get down here and help with the water and making some patches!" As the elven trio hurries below decks, Hoyard takes a look at the damaged masts. "I should have asked for more pay," he mumbles as he disappears into the ship once again.

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg returns to the surface. He calls out to the ship.
    Zuhaitz! We can't even see this thing! Do you have any spells that can help us?

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Surge turns from side to side, scanning for enemies in his Raged State. The only thing keeping him from leaping off the boat after this unseen enemy is the vague knowledge that he can't really swim. He runs towards the bow with weapons raised and, unless another enemy presents itself, stays there till his rage subsides.

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The shark swims back to the ship and makes a slow circle of the boat to examine the damage.

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka tries to think what manner of creature they might be dealing with here.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge Rolls:
    Religion (1d20+11)[27]
    The Planes (1d20+6)[11]


    If Xenka is within Melee distance (including 5' step):

    Full Round Action: Eldritch Glaive
    Eldritch Glaive attack Roll (Melee Touch Attack): (1d20+7)[26]
    Eldritch Glaive Damage Roll (Untyped Damage): (1d6+3)[9]
    Concealment roll: (1d100)[32]

    Extra Attack from Haste
    Eldritch Glaive attack Roll (Melee Touch Attack): (1d20+7)[18]
    Eldritch Glaive Damage Roll (Untyped Damage): (1d6+3)[9]
    Concealment roll: (1d100)[48]


    If Xenka is not within Melee Distance

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast
    Eldritch Blast attack Roll (Range Touch Attack): (1d20+8)[12]
    Eldritch Blast Damage Roll (Untyped Damage): (1d6)[2]
    Concealment roll: (1d100)[84]

    Move action: Move in closer to the creature

    Status:
    HP: 32/47
    AC: 27

    Effects:
    Haste: +1 Attack/AC, Extra Attack
    Bless: +1 Attack/Saves against Fear
    Shield of Faith: +3 Deflection AC for 57 rounds
    Swimming in the Styx: Water breath, Gain Swim speed equal to land speed, +8 to Swim checks, able to take 10 on swim checks.

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Melsitel, seeing Zuhaitz's uncertainty about if he has any spells that will help, pulls a fist sized bottle out of his pouch. He looks at it for a moment with an uncertain look. Seeming to have reached a decision, he tosses the bottle to Kwikweg. "Try breaking that near the creature!" he instructs gloomily.

    Xenka sends an eldritch blast through the water toward where the creature is attacking the Spear's hull, but doesn't appear to hit anything. Pushing against the currents, he swims back toward the drifting ship.

    Farhl circles the ship, looking for the damage. The creatures' attacks have damaged the hull and the ship is taking on water, but the Windspear can still take a few more hits before its in danger of sinking. Its seaworthiness will likely be lessened and the damage will need to be repaired as soon as possible least it become more serious.

    The invisible monster, meanwhile, continues to throw itself against the hull.

    Xenka
    Spoiler
    Show

    Given the unusual invisibility it has in the water and the nature of the attacker above the ship, you're fairly certain it is a water elemental attacking the Spear's underside.

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg takes the bottle, dives back under the water, and swims down to the hull of the ship. He studies it carefully, trying to predict where the creature is by where the impacts are falling. He swims over to where he guesses the creature is and smashes the bottle with the hilt of his sword.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swim check: (1d20+15)[30]
    Spot check: (1d20+2)[9]

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The shark searches the seas for an glimpse of the attacker.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot (1d20+9)[21]


    Once (if) the trail is been sighted, the shark races off, making the most of it's hasted status as it attempts to clamp it's jaws on the creature again.


    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage (1d6+3)[7]
    Concealment - if needed (1d100)[89]

    Attack (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage (1d6+3)[8]
    Concealment - if needed (1d100)[23]

    (Current hp - 17)


  14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka shouts "I think its a Water elemental!" before proceeding to launch another attack.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot Check if needed: (1d20+2)[20]

    If Xenka is within Melee distance (including 5' step):

    Full Round Action: Eldritch Glaive
    Eldritch Glaive attack Roll (Melee Touch Attack): (1d20+7)[8]
    Eldritch Glaive Damage Roll (Untyped Damage): (1d6+3)[5]
    Concealment roll: (1d100)[44]

    Extra Attack from Haste
    Eldritch Glaive attack Roll (Melee Touch Attack): (1d20+7)[23]
    Eldritch Glaive Damage Roll (Untyped Damage): (1d6+3)[9]
    Concealment roll: (1d100)[96]


    If Xenka is not within Melee Distance

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast
    Eldritch Blast attack Roll (Range Touch Attack): (1d20+8)[10]
    Eldritch Blast Damage Roll (Untyped Damage): (1d6)[6]
    Concealment roll: (1d100)[11]

    Move action: Move in closer to the creature

    Edit: The dice are against me.

    Status:
    HP: 32/47
    AC: 27

    Effects:
    Haste: +1 Attack/AC, Extra Attack
    Bless: +1 Attack/Saves against Fear
    Shield of Faith: +3 Deflection AC for 56 rounds
    Swimming in the Styx: Water breath, Gain Swim speed equal to land speed, +8 to Swim checks, able to take 10 on swim checks.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-08-15 at 04:06 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg opens his mouth to ask Xenka something, but then realises he can't talk underwater. He mimes instead:
    (Points in general direction of the elemental)
    (Throat-slitting gesture)
    (Baffled shrug)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming mime is a free action.

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg dives below the water again and swims over to where the creature is attacking the ship. He smashes the bottle with the hilt of his sword, releasing a clear, white liquid into the water. The substance spreads out, making strange wispy shapes in the water which seem to cling to human's arm, sword, and the remains of the bottle. These ghostly tendrils also cling to the unseen creature, creating a clear outline of its strange, wave like shape.

    With the elemental clearly outlined in white, Farhl's easily bites into the creature. From a distance Xenka hurls a blast of eldritch energy at the elemental, but misses.

    Discovered, the water elemental seems to trash around in panic. Soon the creature is spinning, carrying the currents around it into a vortex.

    The Spear continues to rock as the storm carries the ship where it will. Waves begin to crash over the sides of the ship, spraying cold water across the deck. After one such wave pushes the ship, the vortex appears at the side of the boat with Kwikweg and Farhl trying to avoid being trapped in it.

    Kwikweg: DC 15 Reflex save or take (1d6)[4] damage
    Farhl: DC 15 Reflex save or take (1d6)[2] damage
    If you fail the DC 15 save, roll a second one. If you fail the second one you are trapped helplessly in the currents of the vortex.

    Everyone else: The water elemental is clearly visible now, both above and below water.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-08-18 at 09:14 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    Spoiler
    Show

    Reflex Save DC 15 (1d20+5)[15]

    2nd Reflex Save DC 15 (if needed) (1d20+5)[10]


    Farhl swims clear of the vortex, back towards the ship.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2008-08-20 at 03:50 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg tries to twist himself away from the vortex.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC 15 reflex check: (1d20+8)[16]
    Second check, if needed: (1d20+8)[14]

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka mimes back by pointing to the creature, giving a small shrug, and then smacking his fist against his open palm. He turns around and tries to shoot another blast at the whirlpool.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast
    Eldritch Blast attack Roll (Range Touch Attack): (1d20+8)[25]
    Eldritch Blast Damage Roll (Untyped Damage): (1d6)[2]

    Move action: manoeuvre so that Xenka will be about 50' away from the ship on his next round.

    Status:
    HP: 32/47
    AC: 27

    Effects:
    Haste: +1 Attack/AC, Extra Attack
    Bless: +1 Attack/Saves against Fear
    Shield of Faith: +3 Deflection AC for 55 rounds
    Swimming in the Styx: Water breath, Gain Swim speed equal to land speed, +8 to Swim checks, able to take 10 on swim checks.

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    ((So is that it for this round? ))

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    (Kwikweg)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I'm assuming escaping the vortex took all of my turn, so I'm waiting for the elemental to take its turn before I attack.

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    ((Sorry about the slow update! ))

    Farhl and Kwikweg manage to swim out of the vortex, making their way back toward the ship. The water elemental moves to follow, but once Xenka's blast strikes the creature, it seems to reconsider that course. Resuming its normal, wave-like shape, the monster propels itself downward to disappear into the depths. Celidea and Nelsrial toos ropes down the the trio in the water, helping them return to the deck of the ship.

    With the storm elemental no longer controlling the storm overhead, the weather resumes in natural actions, following the winds once more rather than following the ship. The Lucky Windspear continues to be tossed in the waves for an hour before gentler rains and winds resume, allowing her crew to regain fill control. As the storm passes, it becomes clear that the ship has been pushed out to sea. The coastline of Xen'drik has disappeared from view.

    As soon as the weather settles, Hoyard immediately begins to organize the repairs on the ship, patching up the two holes caused by the water elemental and trying to get the masts and rigging into working order. Having surveyed the damage, the shipwright approaches Zuhaitz to explain the situation.

    "It could have been worse," Hoyard tells everyone present. "That thing in the water wasn't very strong. It would have taken it a while to crack open a hole that was a serious threat to the ship, but a couple sections of the hull are weakened. The masts are a mess. They'll hold the sails fine for calm weather, but we need to watch them in heavy weather. We don't have the supplies on board to make proper repairs on both masts, so we'll have to make to a port before we use both masts."

    ((You'll need a Knowledge: Geography check to figure out where you are. Your maps will help you determine where to go from there.))

    ((The elves have their own small council below deck. You may (if you choose) listen in or over hear all or any of this:))
    Spoiler
    Show

    "Who do you think found us?" Nelsrial asks the others.

    Melsitel shakes his head. "Could have been any of them," he relies. "I doubt its Aerenal. Using elementals don't seem like them..."

    "The Riedrans?" Celidea suggests. "Are they capable of something like this?"

    Melsitel shakes his head again. "I don't know what they aren't capable of, really."

    "Do you think Beshilva has found us?" Alimor asks excitedly.

    "I doubt it," Melsitel replies. "Esítalíen's magic should be hiding us from her. And I think she'd come here personally to take care of us."

    "The druids." Besc adds.

    "I don't think the druids are our enemies," Melsitel says.

    Celidea replies, "I wouldn't know after how Melsitel killed those animals..."

    "Ah, yes," Melsitel says, grinning with the memories and chuckling. He quickly stifles his amusement when he sees the stern looks the other elves give him.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-08-27 at 08:44 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The bosun approaches Hoyard to talk about the ship.

    "You say we need to make port, do you mean a port, or just land?"

    After conversing with the shipwright, Farhl makes his way to the back of the boat and starts throwing some chunks of bloody meat out to call his animal companion. Once the shark arrives, he asks it to do a sweep of the area and report back.

    ooc
    Spoiler
    Show

    Can I assist the repairs with the warp wood spell?

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg spends a few hours walking around the ship, staring out at the horizon. Afterwards he climbs down the side of the ship and trails a hand in the sea.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Geography) check: "Where are we, and where's the nearest land?" (1d20+11)[31]

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    As Xenka clambers back on board the ship, he shouts out, "Is anyone dying and in need of healing?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Xenka will use Touch of Healing to get everyone else back to at least 1/2 HP first. For those unfamiliar with the feat, Xenka can heal you 6 HP each round (1/2 healing for the warforged), as long as your HP is less than 1/2.

    Farhl has 39 max HP, so 1/2 HP would be 19.5. His present HP is 17, so Xenka can use ToH once to get him up to 23 HP.

    Kwikweg has max 19 HP (I think), so 1/2 would be 9.5. He is down to 3 HP, so Xenka can use ToH twice to bring him up to 15.

    If anyone else needs more than that, let me know, Xenka has lesser vigor memorized, and can also spontaneously convert his remaining spells if needed.

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Surge looks around and seems lost. With battle being his only real area of expertise, he often finds himself in situations like this, unsure of what to do. He calls out in a voice louder than necessary: "What are my orders?" and awaits instruction to help repairing the ship.

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    As his potion wears off, Kwikweg's breathing becomes laboured and rasping. He walks over to Xenka.
    I'm not dying, but if there's no-one else worse off I could do with some healing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to be healed from 3 back to 19 if you can.

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka nods and proceeds to cast several spells on the Rogue.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Normally, Clerics will just heal you up to near full and then let the automatic healing from sleep take care of the rest. But if we get into any more trouble today, I think you want your rather low HP to be full.

    ToH can get you back up to 15. From there, I will spontaneously convert 4 of my level 0 spells to cure minor wounds, which should bring you up to 19 exactly.

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg's breathing returns to normal as the spells take effect. He thanks Xenka and walks over to Melsitel.
    Whatever that was in the bottle, it probably saved our lives. Do you have any more?

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    "You say we need to make port, do you mean a port, or just land?"
    "We might get most of the repairs done if we make it out open seas to calmer water," Hoyard explains, "It'll be a chore without a proper crane." He mumbles something about his pay. "I'd be more concerned what may happen if we encounter something else like this. We only have so much replacement rigging."


    Quote Originally Posted by gareth View Post
    Whatever that was in the bottle, it probably saved our lives. Do you have any more?
    Melsitel frowns at the question. You can't help but notice the other elves take a step back at Melsitel's atypical expression. "No," he replies. "No, I don't. I'm glad it was useful, however. Now if you excuse me I have to go speak with Esítalíen."

    As Melsitel walks off, Nelsrial comes up beside you, chuckling. "I knew he liked that drink," he explains, "but didn't realize he liked it that much. It was a rather exotic drink he gave you. Aerenal Ghost Wine its called, though it really has nothing to do with any of the three. Just some strange drink some dwarf in Sharn developed. Put a couple drops in a glass of water and you get ghostly swirls in it and a fairly potent drink."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •