Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 202
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    As Xenka finishes using basic healing on the crew and passengers, he overhears the conversation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantid View Post
    "I'd be more concerned what may happen if we encounter something else like this. We only have so much replacement rigging."
    "Hmm... I suppose the main question is whether our passenger's are in any sort of rush. Or are they willing to wait a few days for us to complete repairs? But of course, any final decision still lies with the Captain."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Since Captain Zuhaitz and Quid seem to have dropped out, what do we do?

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg

    Spoiler
    Show

    You easily determine the Windspear's location. It is a couple dozen miles south of the equator, between Xen'drik and Kapaerian Island. As best as you can determine, there are three settlements within two or three days of sailing.

    One is an old exploration settlement on Kapaerian Island, however there has been little news from the settlement in recent months. Rumors say it may have been destroyed, but even if that is the case, you may be able to salvage some supplies.

    Another option is a settlement known as Tal Esk father to the south and along the path to the giants' fortress the elves are seeking. You know little about Tal Esk, other than it is usually unfriendly to outsiders.

    The other option is to return to Stormreach, but, if you are being pursued as the elves believe, you may sail straight into the arms of an enemy.

    The final option would be to sail east to Xen'Drik's coast. The land is dotted with ruins and old, abandoned settlements. It is possible you may find one for shelter and supplies.


    I keep thinking of this when I'm away from the computer: everyone receives 550 xp for that encounter

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg explains the choice of landing sites to the rest of the crew.
    I believe the best option is to land at Tal Esk. It's less of a detour and it'll be easier to fix the ship there. What does everyone else think?

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Meh, my sense of direction is horrible. I regularly get lost trying to find my way from the tavern back to the ship, although for some odd reason never the other way around. If you thinks its the best way, that's good enough for me

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The bosun nods in agreement, "We will go where you suggest."

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg goes to his cabin and plots a course for Tal Esk, then takes the wheel and turns the ship to the proper heading.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Profession (Sailor) check:(1d20+14)[33]

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    ((I'm going to use the previous Geography roll to set the course then. ))

    With the repairs in place, the Lucky Windspear unfurls most of its sails, but damage and lack of working rigging prevents the use of all of them. The rest of the day is cleaning the deck of water and derbies and making smaller repairs.

    As darkness settles over the sea, the excitement of the day finally wears off, and the crew slips back into their routine of watches. As chaotic as the storm was, the night is peaceful. The stars shine over the quiet seas and the great ring of siberys shimmers in the southern sky. Some maultooths, large, ten foot dolphin-like creatures with long teeth filled snouts, are seen during the night, following the ship as close as a few dozen feet beside it, but the large predators soon loose interest in the Spear, swimming off to find more fish to eat and leaving the ship in solitude once again.

    By noon, a white shape appears on the horizon. At first you think it may be a cloud or perhaps a large white bird, but soon the ship beneath the white bird-like sails become apparent. Like the Windspear, it heads south in a course parallel, if not identical to your own.

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg stares curiously at the ship.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Profession (Sailor) check: "How many crew would that ship need, and how many passengers could it carry?" (1d20+14)[32]

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The changeling gathers the crew together to discuss the new sighting.

    "How far are we from our port, and can this ship catch us before we reach it if it has access to full sail? It may be nothing, but we had better be prepared, lest we become prey."

    He turns to the elves

    "We need more information from you. Who is after you, and why? If we do not know who we are against, we can't prepare. The time for truth has come!"

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Esítalíen remains in seclusion, but the other elves join you on deck. Melsitel nods and smiles when a full explanation is demanded. "Yes," he says, "perhaps it would be wise. I'm sure the ship can be better prepared if we make a full disclosure."

    He rubs his chin as he considers were to start. Finally he turns to Alimor. "You've known Esítalíen longer than any of us, perhaps you should fill them in on what happened before I joined this campaign."

    "Heh," Alimor replies. "There isn't much to tell. I had heard of Esítalíen's reputation and sought him out. I worked as Es'tal'en's body guard. We went all over to libraries and sages and diviners... it was all rather boring. I guess it from one of them they learned about these ruins. That's when they brought the rest of you in." Alimor shrugs, his expression making it obvious that was all he had to say about it.

    Melsitel rolls his eyes. "Well, that's how it was, I guess," he says. "By any account, Es'teli'on knew of the giants' fortress before he hired the rest of us. I was the next one he hired. He needed someone with a... hmm... 'sly' mind to help acquire what has likely the only map in existence that marked the fortress' true location. I'm not too ashamed to admit I've always have been a bit of a blade for hire." He grinning elf looks back at the remaining three.

    "Not much to say about us," Nelsrial explains. "During the war we were part of a envoy tasked with sneaking through Crye to reach Breland and form a tactical alliance with them against Crye. We found ourselves stranded in Breland when the Day of Mourning happened. He eventually ended up in Sharn and had been there for almost six years as mercenaries when Es'tal'en found us and hired us for this job." Celidea nods beside the short elf, while Besc stands there like his usual scowling self.

    Melsitel continues, "Well, we were all hired for a voyage to Xen'drik. First to the city of Dar Qat to acquire the map, then to Stormreach, which is where you came into the picture.

    "Anyhow, whatever Es'teli'on is after in the ruins... well it apparently scares the Aerenal elves to no end. They started pursuing us as soon as they caught word of our plans.

    "Now, Dar Qat. Its a Riedran settlement. From what I hear, the entire country of Riedra is full of fanatics, total theocratic domination. The leaders of their cult are terribly powerful... mind-binders of sorts, or so I hear. Obviously they didn't take it nicely when we sneaked into their fortified city and stole away with one of their more protected maps."

    He points at the ship in the distance. "That, if I'm not mistaken, is an Aerenal Wingship. Every fast for its size. I have no doubt it is in pursuit of us. Their culture is highly religious and fixated on death and necromancy."

    "Tsk," Alimor adds.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The bosun stares out at the pursuing ship.


    "In our current state, I doubt we could fight them, and given our present condition, we would be lucky to outrun them. We could try hiding you. It's your lives on the line, what do you want to do?"

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg turns away from the ship and addresses the crew.
    If we can't beat them in a straight-up fight, we'll have to be more subtle. I could sneak aboard and sabotage the ship. They'd repair it eventually but it would slow them down.
    He turns to Melsitel.
    I haven't seen that kind of ship before. You'll have to tell me the best way to sabotage it, or maybe you could come with me.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Xenka rubbed his tired eyes before exclaiming, "So let me get this straight, you mean to say that you have not one, but two entire nations out to get you. And possibly more, which you have so far not disclosed."

    Spoiler
    Show

    OOC: Do any of us want to confirm if that other ship is hostile first?

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Excuse me for a moment.
    Kwikweg goes back to the ship's wheel and turns it all the way to port, as fast as possible without endangering the ship. The ship begins to turn off course, and Kwikweg studies the other ship carefully.
    This should show whether they're really after us. We can get back on course soon if they aren't.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    "Well," Melsitel says, "I'm not sure its two entire nations. Riedra is half a world away, so its doubtful the nation itself really cares. But their local representatives, those at Dar Qat, Tel Esk, and what other Xen'Drik colonies they have are likely to be after us."

    As the Windspear changes it course, the wingship on the horizon seems to change its own coarse to match.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg looks grimly at the wingship as it changes its course.
    Right, time to do this. Quid, take the wheel. Steer the ship straight towards the wingship. Farhl and I will swim over and sabotage it once we're close enough. Xenka, I'll need you to cast Water Breathing on me so I can stay out of sight.
    He moves to the side of the ship away from the wingship and prepares to jump in once the spell is cast.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The changeling nods. "We may want some kind of distraction so they don't see us coming."

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Quote Originally Posted by gareth View Post
    Xenka, I'll need you to cast Water Breathing on me so I can stay out of sight.
    "Uh..." Xenka says as he scratches his nose nervously, "I'm afraid I'm not quite powerful enough to give you water breath."

    Spoiler
    Show

    More to the point, right now Xenka only has level 2 spells, and water breath is level 3.

    And in case you are wondering, Xenka's own water breath comes from a personal only warlock invoc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Farhl

    The changeling nods. "We may want some kind of distraction so they don't see us coming."
    "What did you have in mind?"

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    "Are you sure its necessary?" Melsitel asks. "You're sure we can't outrun it?"

    "HA!" Alimor counters. "I say if the Aerenans want a fight, I say we give it to them!"

    Nelsrial shakes his head at Alimor's eagerness. "I'd rather not risk loosing any more elven blood to day, be it our own or the Aerenals'. Or those of this ship, for that matter. But we are a part of this crew for all purposes. Let us know how we can help."

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Sorry Xenka, my mistake.
    Kwikweg thinks for a moment.
    I can't get over there without them seeing me. But Farhl can turn into the shark, so maybe he could sabotage them. Xenka, if you can still breathe underwater you could go too.
    He hands Farhl a flask.
    This will turn one person invisible for two minutes, use it on whoever's least sneakiest once you leave the water. Try setting a fire below the decks.
    He turns to the rest of the crew.
    If we're sneaking up to them, they could be sneaking up to us. Pass out the weapons and prepare to repel boarders. He stares out at the water between the two ships.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've given Farhl a Potion of Invisibility
    Spot check: (1d20+2)[21]

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The changeling accepts the potion, and holds it in his hand.

    "I cannot take the form of a shark again, though I can swim there and warp the wood to slow the ship if necessary."

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantid View Post
    "Are you sure its necessary?" Melsitel asks. "You're sure we can't outrun it?"
    Xenka, frowns as he considers their options. "In our ships present battered condition, I don't think that is possible, unless we can somehow slow down their ship. Kwikweg is probably right, some manner of sabotage, destructive or otherwise, seems to be necessary."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Really, among the 3 of us, we don't have many options.

    However, looking at Zuhaitz's sheet, I realize he has water breathe. He could cast that on Kwikweg (and maybe Farlh) then the 3 of us can move out underwater for ship sabotage (although that probably needs DM approval). In fact, it might be a better idea to bring more than just the 3 of us.


    Xenka actually brought along a 1d6 steel sickle especially for underwater sabotage, but its not going to be very effective. By default, a slashing weapon does -2 damage underwater, but affects wooden hulls for full damage (minus the hull hardness of 6).

    So if Xenka casts bull strength on himself to give him a strength sore of 18 (bonus +4) and used the sickle as a 2 hander (1.5x strength bonus), he would be able to hit the hull for 1d6+6 damage. Of which, 2 would be subtracted for underwater combat, and 6 for hardness of wood. So the net damage I would deal to the wooden hull per hit would be 1d6-2 (Ave 1.66 damage per hit).

    Given that a hull section has 150 HP, it would take him nearly 10 minutes of non-stop hacking to destroy a section, and thats assuming that the people on board don't notice the muffled banging noise, and the fact water is starting to leak in, and dive into the water to drive off the invaders.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-09-08 at 04:09 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    The changeling looks towards the pursuing ship, then back towards their elven passengers.

    "I can slow their ship, but that will confirm their suspicions and ensure their pursuit. Perhaps a better first try will be to try to throw them off the scent. We could wave them over, ask for help and claim our passengers left us during the battle with the elementals. What do you think? Can we hide them? Will they fall for it?"

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg frowns.
    That could work. You should do all the talking, though. I'm no good at lying.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Xenka

    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Farhl
    "We could wave them over, ask for help and claim our passengers left us during the battle with the elementals. What do you think? Can we hide them? Will they fall for it?"
    "If we do that, we are taking a gamble. If they are thorough, and it is most likely that they are, they will search our ship, so you elves had better be excellent hiders."

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Farhl

    "We could just hide them under the water, a little away from us. Then we can see if they are trying to follow us, or them, and slow up their ship if needed to beat our escape."
    Last edited by Qualia; 2008-09-11 at 05:49 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Spoiler
    Show

    Wait, so do we put the elves in the water secretly or openly?

    If we put them secretly, the other ship won't know and will still follow us regardless. Unless the plan is to put them secretly, and then stop and let othe other ship search us so that they won't find the elves on board.

    If we put them openly (and hope the other ship goes after the elves and we can go our own way), than thats essentially abandoning the elves and the quest.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Spoiler
    Show

    We put them in the water secretly. Then sail a little away. If the elven boat continues to follow us, then they are following the boat. If they change course, then they are somehow following the elves.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    "It won't work," Celidea says. "Aerenans claim to worship their ancestors, but have no respect for the dead. They are practiced necromancers."

    Melsitel nods. "I see what you mean," he replies. "If this ship serves the Undying Court directly, it probably includes a few ghosts. They can search the ship and the water without restriction. We'll need magic if we're to hide from them."

    "At least they have shown restraint before," Nelsrial adds. "I'm fairly sure they want us alive."

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Giants' Crown (Alpha) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

    Kwikweg looks exasperated.
    So we can't outrun them, can't fight them, can't sneak up on them, and can't hide the elves from them? That sounds like the only option is surrender.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •