New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

biggrin The Giants' Crown (One) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

The ship seems unusually quiet, her crew deserted or sullen, her captain no more. His body had been removed by the city guard, his presence now found only in the specters of memory and the blood and sweat he left in the boards and planks.

The fog that has settled over the docks forms white walls in the moonlight, adding to the feelings of loss and foreboding that seem to radiate from the ship. Only the occasional bell or shout pierce through the night to break the heavy air that has settled over the ship.

But, regardless of how much the ship may mourn or how deeply the night and fog may try to hide her during the night, the vessel will set sail in the morning as soon as the passengers arrive. The shimmering seal of one Es'teli'on on the contract was enough to ensure that. Six passengers to be taken on a journey along Xen'Drik's coast, then up a river to the believed location of one of the many ruins of the once powerful giants, and finally returned to Stormreach.

With the journey ahead, it will be more than enough time for the captain's murderer to cover his tracks and escape. If clues were to be found, there were only a few hours to find them. There were no clear suspects, however; if Captain Agarish had any particular enemies, he had never mentioned them over the years.

Yet, if the Captain's murder and the figures that seemed to have trailed the members of the crew lately were related to this upcoming voyage, then protecting the ship and her crew might be the wisest use o the night.

The harbor bells ring out, signaling a change in the watch. The night has just begun.

Recruitment Prologue:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xen'drik, the home of the once powerful giants, a land riddled with ruins, mysteries, and danger. But also the promise of adventure and profit. You have made a living daring the coastlines of this forbidding land, carrying passengers and supplies to small camps and points of exploration along its coast or moving passengers and cargo between Stormreach and Sharn or, occasionally, Pylas Talaer. The loss of lives in the dangerous seas surrounding Xen'drik are not uncommon, but the most recent death has been sudden and tragic. Your captain has been murdered.

You recently put into Stormreach after a successful voyage from the eastern coast of the continent. You had leave in the city for a few days as the ship restocked and Captain Agarish arranged for your next voyage. The scuttlebutt was that the Captain had made a deal with a group of Valenar elves seeking passage to some ruins up a river off the coast of Xen'drik's western front. Soon after these rumors started, so did the trouble.

Cloaked figures began to appear, apparently watching you and your crewmates. Ghostly apparition began to linger in the corners of vision only to vanish, never revealing if what you saw was truly there or merely your imagination. The word began to circulate that your ship had taken on a curse and was doomed on her next voyage. Crewmates were deserting, signing on with other ships, moral was low; then the Captain was found dead.

He was discovered in his cabin, his door barred from the inside, stabbed through the chest with a finely crafted scimitar. No boards were loose, no windows broken. Whomever killed the half-orc had left no evidence of who he was or how he had entered the cabin and no clues other then the single blade. Divination and resurrection magic seemed to fail. The Captain would not return or share the secrets of his death.

What was discovered, however, was two contracts, one binding the ship to the voyage with the elves and the other leaving the ship and its final duties to a small group of his crew, you and a few others. Despite the captain's death, the elves have insisted that they depart on their voyage on the date agreed in the contract. The contract itself was witnessed and approved by the dock master and a powerful patron of the city, Es'teli'on, an elf mage and member of the Twelve. Even if the Captain's mysterious death wasn't worth the time of Stormreach's militia to investigate, a breach of that contact would have severe consequences. As the new owner and captain of the ship, you have little choice but to take on the voyage.

It is the night before you set sail. Who are these elves and what are they after? Has their goal truly cursed the ship? Who murdered the Captain and has watched you throughout the city? Will you survive long enough to find the answers?
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-06-14 at 10:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Giants' Crown (One) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

Jack Trader

Jack stares out into the fog, only vaguely aware of the occasional sounds that break the silence of the night. He allows his now clear mind to begin to wander.

Who? Who would have wanted him dead? We don't even have suspects, and we leave in the morning. Why was he killed? He either had no enemies or he never spoke of them. None of this makes sense, it all seems so hopeless. No! We can't give up, we have to find the answers...

He wheels around suddenly to face the others on the deck, and breaks the silence.

"Alright, we've got no suspects, no motive and no other leads whatsoever. So we start at the bottom. We have one night to find the bastard that took the captain away from us and damnit we're going to do it! The way I see it, we've got no option but to scour the seedy criminal underbelly of this city, scrounging what little information we can. If anyone knows some good places to start, let them speak now."

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge: Local check to identify places where criminals are known to hang out.
    (1d20+5)[17]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Predictably, the tall, thin mage comes up on deck at watch change, glancing around at the foggy stillness. He must have already gotten his couple of hours somewhere. Osprey goes to the quarterdeck and when the crewman there salutes him, he nods in return. "Anything to report?" The crewman shakes his head, "Nothing, sir," he edges closer to Osprey, taking advantage of the warmth the mage is radiating. Osprey looks distracted, then looks at the man, "Any odd motions in the fog, strange breezes, sudden shifts - like a man walking through the mist?" The crewman blinks, "I've seen nobody about, sir. No man nor beast." The mage purses his lips and shakes his head, "No... I'm thinking you might not." The crewman looks puzzled, but just waits in silence til his replacement arrives.

Edit: As the rest of the crew comes on deck with Jack Trader, all talking about the murder of the captain, Osprey leaves the crewman to his post and goes down and joins them. He listens to Trader's thoughts but the enigmatic mage seems to have nothing to offer at this point, he remains silent.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-06-14 at 11:07 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. - Top - End - #4

Crow

Sat in the crows nest, deep in his own thoughts, the voice from below broke Crow out of it. Vaulting over the side and plummeting, he flared his wings moments before hitting the deck, landing lightly, walking over to the others.
    "I've no idea where to start looking. Some one could go ask that elven mage guy for a hand, uh, Es'teli'on. Saying something like we are a superstitious lot and while his death lingers unsolved who knows what dangers we may miss signs of on the voyage putting his friends lives on the line" Pushing a few feathers back into place he muttered "Though it does sound somewhat like a threat"
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Kix

Kix bustles along the deck, handing out mugs of hot spiced cider.

"Well, we can't all run off chasing shadows, Jack T. Someone's going to need to stay behind and guard the ship, and it may as well be me. I used to have a few friends in low places around Stormreach, but I've been away a while, and nothing stays the same with that sort of crowd for long, so I don't know that I'll be much help in searching the city. Plus, of course, if we want to claim nobody's left the ship, I'm the perfect alibi."

Kix turns to look at Jack, winking at him with Jack's own face.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

The mage looks thoughtful, "Sir, do you think since there is nothing we can think of in the captain's past that led to this we should be looking to his future. There is this commission he has taken, I say we question the passengers and find out if there is anyone who wishes to stop them from reaching their destination... or who would want to delay that arrival."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

The sea kin sailor known as Barnacle Jack stands at the starboard rail, staring blankly into the fog, his inky black eyes unreadable. The oily sheen of his bare back gleams gently in the moonlight. Lost in thoughts of his departed captain, the remarkable Captain Agarish, he only half-listens to the others' discussion.

Jack had always been a free spirit, roaming the world in one ship or another, it had made no difference to him. Until he met Agarish. Something about that singular man and his relentless stubborn will had ensnared the sea kin's passions. He had signed on, as he had signed on to all the other crews, intending only to stay until he felt the desire to move on.

Surprised he was, when after two years, that day had never come. Captain Agarish... my Captain..

His rough voice starts softly calling out a song, more to himself than anything else.

"As I went a walking one evening so rare
    To view the still waters and taste the salt air
    I heard an old fisherman singing this song
    Sayin', "Take me away boys, my time is not long.

Wrap me up in me oil skins and blankets
    No more on the docks I'll be seen
    Just tell me old shipmates, I'm takin' a trip mates
    And I'll see you someday on fiddler's green."

Now fiddler's green is a place I've heard tell
    Where fishermen go if they don't go to hell
    Where the weather is fair and the dolphins do play
    And the cold coast of Khorvaire is far far away."

Some of the older crewmembers begin joining in with the shanty's chorus, lamenting the loss of their captain in the sailor's way.

"Wrap me up in me oil skins and blankets

Where the weather is fair and there's never a gale
    Where the fish jump on board with a swish of their tail
    You lie at your leisure there's no work to do
    While the skipper's below makin' tea for the crew.

More of the watch joins in, their combined voices carrying across the deck.

I don't need a harp nor a halo not me
    Just give me a breeze and a good rollin' sea
    I'll play me old squeeze box as we sail along
    And the wind in the riggin' will sing me this song.

His craggy voice crescendos, leading the other sailors, about half the watch at this point.

The air rings slightly with the last echoes of their voices, and then is silent. Barnacle Jack slumps down against the rail, sitting on the deck. Captain... my Captain...

8. - Top - End - #8

Solophoenix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A few possibilities come to mind.

There is a tavern called The Frothing Gnome in the Marketplace that has been the recent gathering place for thieves, scoundrels, and various unsavory characters. It isn't the safest place, but it is the most likely place to find information about Stormreach's underworld.

Then there are the Bilge Rats, Stormreach's largest thieves' guild. Getting information from them can be costly, however, since that is one part of their business. If they were somehow involved in the murder, it could also prove dangerous.

Having kept your ears out for local news, you also know that you might be able to get what clues and finding from the garrison itself, with a few well chosen words and a few coins.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

After finding out the news, Gwen spends most of her time on the deck of the ship staring out to sea at the fog. She can be found near the prow of the ship. She spent the majority of her off time on board, leaving only to buy a few necessary items and she's unfamiliar with this port. When asked, she replies, No, I'm sorry, I don't know why or where to find the person or people who might have killed him. If we need to do something, it needs to be quick. We have a duty to sail with the morning tide.

Gwen takes out a small silver bowl from her pack. She pours a bit of water into it and casts Weather Eye, seeking to know the weather for the harbor for the next week and if the fog is natural.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

10. - Top - End - #10

After hearing the responses, Jack speaks once more.

"So no more leads? I suppose that's good in a way, it narrows down what we're doing, we're not going to feel guilty about pursuing the wrong options if we fail.

I myself have three leads for us to investigate, but I can't check them all, so here's my plan:

When we finish talking here, I will immediately go to the Frothing Gnome and offer a free performance in exchange for the 'story' of what happened here.

I want a volunteer or two to accompany me afterward, or if I'm not done at the Gnome by midnight, go alone, to the Bilge Rats thieves guild, and seek out information.

Thirdly, Gwen, I hate to ask this of you, I'd do it myself if we had the time. I want you to use your 'gifts' as a woman to try and get information out of one of the higher ups in the local garrison. I know it's not going to be the easiest thing you've ever done, but remember who it's for.

I think that about covers it, any questions?"

11. - Top - End - #11

Crow

"I'll accompany you to the Bilge Rats. Will need a pair of sharp eyes being among them, and mine are like eagle" Crow said, flaring his wings. "But as for the talking I'll need you there, or atleast one of the others, for I'll just get what they want us to know, not what we want to know."

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

The mage is quite used to people ignoring his suggestions, so he is not in the least disappointed by Trader's dismissal. However, the bard's suggestion... given in front of the whole crew... that one of the female members whore herself for information on their late captains' death sends his eyebrow up, and his opinion of Jack Trader's character plummeting.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-06-16 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #13

Jack Trader

Noting Osprey's look of dissaproval, Jack speaks to him.

"I can see you're not a fan of that part of the plan, and really, I truly do hate having to ask. But we are strapped for time here, and we're desperate for leads. As I said, I'd rather do it myself, but I can't be in three places at once, and Gwen is our next best chance."

he turns to face Gwen.

"I'm sorry to ask this of you, perhaps I was a little hasty. If you have any problem with it at all, we can think of something else."

and calling back to Osprey.

"About the elves, unless you know where they're staying I think it'll be best to wait till they arrive here in the morning before we question them. Our night of information gathering, even if unsuccessful, may give us some insight into what to ask them about."
    Last edited by Solophoenix; 2008-06-16 at 12:43 PM. Reason: messed up a tag

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Considering his own propensity for cultivating an air of being enigmatic, Osprey finds Jack Trader's ability to read his expression rather impressive... if not slightly alarming. There is another explanation, of course, Osprey himself often uses a thought detection spell to determine the truth when crewmen are accusing each other of misbehaviors. For Trader to use that kind of tactic now, on the crew, is... interesting. Careful to maintain a neutral expression, Osprey thinks out. Trader. If you are reading my thoughts at this point, I'd like you to explain your reasons to me later, because lacking a good excuse, even I consider this to be a violation of privacy. What he says is, "As you say, sir. Since you were first mate, you are acting captain, do you have any orders for those remaining on the ship?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-06-16 at 04:06 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen has been concentrating on her spell...she didn't hear most of that conversation. She looks up as she waits for the results of her spell. What was that? I was finding out the weather for tomorrow.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

16. - Top - End - #16

Jack Trader

Jack walks over to Gwen and speaks to her quietly.

"Well, the bare facts are that we have 3 leads to investigate in one night, and all of them require persuasiveness. I want you to try and get information about Agarish's murder out of one of the higher ups at the local garrison. How you choose to try is up to you, however, I feel the easiest path lies in seduction, but if you're not comfortable with that, then feel free to think of another way."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

From where she's sitting on the deck, she looks directly up at Jack. As he talks her eyes become very stormy looking, those green eyes turn a bit hard. So...since I'm a woman and they are men, you automatically assume I'll sleep with them? to get information for you?

She gracefully gets to her feet, her footing sure on the slightly moving deck. She stares into his eyes from her 5'6" height, Let me put this in words you will understand. I do not sleep with you. I do not sleep with anyone else on this ship. Who I chose to sleep with is none of your business nor your decision. I own my body and I work on this ship. I keep everyone safe. I work hard to keep this ship afloat.

You will never,
    and she punctuates it by moving closer and staring at him in a most unsettling way, he can almost see lightning flashing in her eyes, Ever, ask me to do such a thing again. There is only one answer she expects.

((rest of her answer after Jack answers her))
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

18. - Top - End - #18

Jack Trader

"Alright then, but you're still one of our better talkers, you can try other methods to get the information out of the garrison."

He then turns to address the crew again.

"Those of you choosing to remain onboard, follow normal procedures, the less suspicion we kick up with our investigating, the more chance we have to catch this murderer by surprise.

Are there any more questions before we move off?"
    Last edited by Solophoenix; 2008-06-17 at 06:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen crosses her arms over her chest. She doesn't think he quite got the point.

She sweetly says, So...you'd like me to talk to the garrison then? Any particular questions? She leaves off the rest of her questions...they'd be rather inflammatory.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

20. - Top - End - #20

Jack Trader

Jack speaks again to Gwen.

"What we need is information about their investigation into the murder; clues, evidence, they might even have suspects. Even if they don't deem it important enough to continue their search, it may provide us with a good starting point for ours. If you're done by midnight, we'll meet you outside the Bilge Rats, where we can update each other on what we know, before heading inside."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

The ship's mage stands waiting for the acting captain to relate if he has any orders. He watches the conversation between Jack and Gwen with a certain degree of well-hidden amusement. Jack is going to have to work extra hard now to earn the respect of his officers, but perhaps he will manage to pull himself out of the fire.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leaning against the rail, Barnacle Jack did his best to avoid the conversation happening between Gwen and Jack Trader.

Trader, ye daft fool. Gone an' upset a dangerous woman. Right blivet of a decision there.

Frightful bad luck to have a woman aboard, that's how I'as told. D'rather take th'bad luck and have the woman in this case, tho'. Proven herself right useful, right proper sailor.

Bad luck to have a woman aboard, but far worse t'piss her off. Set things all a-cockbill, that will. Couldn'a picked a worse time, neither. Captain's gone... Cap'n Agarish... need ta make fast the crew, not rile em up.

Best hope this don' get outta hand, or ther'll be the devil t'pay and no pitch hot.

Keeping his thoughts to himself, he instead decides to avoid the whole situation. Turning to some of the crew, he offers them no more than "Takin' a quick swim. Keep a weather eye out 'til I get back, eh lads?" before diving gracefully into the water.

Ahhh... the salt waters... milady the sea, ye're the only mistress I ken

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

The wizard, done with waiting, goes to check on the change of watch. As he stands on the quarterdeck he gets a familiar feeling - a weatherwise ache in his bones that lets him know a change is coming... no doubt Gwen's doing. There's another change coming too... one that none of us set in motion, and one I think we may have trouble trying to control.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-06-19 at 03:41 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #24

Crow

Climbing back up the rigging towards the crows nest, Crow said "Wake me when you are ready to go to the Rats"

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Seeing that there doesn't seem to be any other 'instructions' forthcoming. Gwen heads off into town and to the guard center where she starts looking for whoever is in charge.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

26. - Top - End - #26

Jack Trader

Jack follows Gwen off the ship, passing Osprey on the way.

"Osprey, you're in charge while I'm gone, try to keep everything looking as normal as possible, and make sure you get enough sleep, we may well need your spells tomorrow."

He heads for the Frothing Gnome.

27. - Top - End - #27

Crow

"Anything you need me to do before I get some shut eye" Crow called down to Osprey, "Measurements or what not from higher altitude"

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

The ship's mage nods to Trader, "Aye, aye, sir." He looks up at Crow, "No, if you're not officially on watch you can sleep, but do it in your bunk."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-06-22 at 10:13 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Kix turns to Osprey. "I'll be belowdecks. Don't hesitate to call me if there's trouble or you need me for something." He heads to his cabin, takes out a sheaf of paperwork, and starts to work on it.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

30. - Top - End - #30

Gwen
    Spoiler
    Show

The Fog is natural. The weather should be clear and warm, with mild winds and few clouds.

You make your way through the fog and crowds on drunks, wanderers, and night dwellers to the local garrison building. From the noise and commotion around the building, it could almost be confused for another bar if the drunks outside the building weren't being escourted by grim faced men, dwarves, and occasional warforged.

Stepping inside, you approach the desk in the entry room. With piles of paer covering the desk's surface and the large stacks surrounding it pushed up against one another, you're not sure how large, or even what shape the desk is, but you are fairly certain the hairy creature in the middle of it, bent over and writing on papers to soon add to the pile, is a dwarf.

The dwarf barely glances up from his work as you approach before he asks curtly, "You dropping off or picking up?"

Jack Trader
    Spoiler
    Show

The sign marking the entrance to the Frothing Gnome is nothing more then a crude Gnome face, foaming at the mouth, messily painted on the wall under a bridge in the marketplace. A red arrow below the distorted face points to a sewer cover below it. Twisting the wheel to open the cover and climbing down the ladder, you find yourself in a section of the sewers that have been drained and blocked off from the water and sludge running through the rest of the system. The horrible smells still linger, however, mixed horribly with the smells of incense the drift down the tunnel from a brightly lit door.

Stepping through the door, you're not sure if you have entered into a tribal war room or a circus. Furs, skulls, and relics of wilderness conquest cover the walls and hang from the ceiling. Many of the furs, however, have been dyed bright colors, and most of the skulls and other items in the tavern have festive designs painted on them in equally bright colors.

A large bar sits in the middle of the tavern, apparently crafted out the remains of old sewer pumps and tanks. A few small tables surround the bar, but it seems most of the taverns' patrons take to the private booths that stretch along the walls, each one hidden off by a curtains of color coded furs.

A gnome dressed in hides matching the exotic decor marches up to you. He squints at you with his one good eye and points to the bar. "Buy something or get out," he snorts.