New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Giants' Crown (One) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

Gwen

Gwen looks over the charts a thoughtful look on her elven face. Hm...

Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

As Jack Trader leads the way to the cabin, Es’tal’en looks to Melsitel. "You can take care of the preparations," he says. "I will set up the wards and protections on the ship immediately to keep Beshilva from discovering us."

Nelsrial, Celidea, and Besc quickly surround the hooded elf. "I know we're only hired hands," Nelsrail says, "but we can't let you cast your spells so quickly. That lizard needs to know we have left Stormreach or she'll continue to tear the city off the map to find us. Wait until we are at sea."

Es'tal'en glares at the trio, while Alimor steps forward, instinctively reaching for the double scimitar no longer on his back. Melsitel stops following Jack and turns back to watch, folding his arms in front of him. After a moment, Es'tal'en signals for Alimor to stand down. "Of course," the aged elf says. "I misspoke. Of course I will wait until Beshilva knows we have left Stormreach."

Melsitel nods and motions for Es'tal'en to follow. "Help the crew with any last preparations. We work just as hard as any of them while on board," he instructs. "Captain, if you please..."

((Melsitel and Es'tal'en will follow into the cabin, assume they are inside when you are))

Gwen

Spoiler
    Show
    Your knowledge of Geography confirms much of what Osprey says. The charts are a painfully detailed map of the Xen'Drik's north western coast, carefully marking every small detail you are aware of. The river and lake in the Skyraker Claws are something you can't recall ever having seen before.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

No, I'm sorry, I don't remember seeing it before. It also looks like I'm going to miss the chance to pick up the information the captain wanted. Since we're leaving so early.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey nods, "One or more of those on board may be the culprit, but regardless... we'll make due with what information we have." He smiles, "As to Trader... I have my doubts about our acting captain, but we'll see if he can take on the role and grow into it." He rolls up the charts, "I suppose I should go see him and give him the preliminary course."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen smiles back, I'll be on deck, keeping an eye on the weather and on our new passengers. Just let me know if you need anything.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

6. - Top - End - #156

Jack Trader

Upon reaching the cabin, Jack stores the weapons in a chest and locks it ((assuming there's a lockable chest)). He turns to the elves.

"As you can see, they will be kept safe. Any crewmember who doesn't look busy will be happy to show you to your quarters, we should be departing shortly, after I've spoken with the navigator"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

As if on cue, there is a knock at the door, "Captain, I have the preliminary course set."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Once the weapons are stored, Jack offers a slight, stiff bow to Trader and the elves before turning and exiting the cabin, followed by the two other sailors.

He calls out to the crew, "Arright, ye lot! Pr'pare to make way an' be ye quick about it! We're takin off, an' we're doin' it in a hurry! Once we've got th'order to take off, we're goint'do it, and do it fast!"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey nods and goes up to the wheel to give directions to the sailor manning it.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

10. - Top - End - #160

Jack Trader

Jack leaves his cabin, locking it behind him, and proceeds to the deck of the ship, to stand next to the helm. When all is ready, he gives the order to depart.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Tha's it, ye dogs! It's time t'cut 'n run! Weigh anchor! Unfurl th' mainsail!"

"Aye, sir! Anchor at short stay!"
    calls one of the sailors manning the anchor winch.

"Haul, ye salty jacks! Heave!"

"Anchor's up an' down, sir!"

"We're almos' under way! Get those lines secured!" Jack calls to the sailors working on the mainsail.

"Anchor's away, sir!"

"Right! We're under way! Helmsman, ready to make way! Take us out'o here, quick as ye c'n!", Jack shouts, before muttering to himself. "If I'm gonna keep doin' that, I gotta get me a damn whistle."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen comes out on deck to watch them leave. She keeps one eye on the weather and listens for anything coming towards them in the fog.

Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey also keeps an eye out for any sign of activity from above as the ship pulls out of dock and heads for the harbor mouth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20)[15], Listen: (1d20)[1]
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

14. - Top - End - #164

The Beggar's Choice rides the tides out into the heart of the harbor, the docks, the only visable sign of the city of Stormreach, save for the peicing illumination of the lighthouse, soon vanishes in the fog. The roaring grows closer, drawing concerned expressions from Melsitel and Es'tal'en and excitement from Alimor while the other three elves stand, firm jawed, half watching the fog and half watching Es'tal'en.

"The dragon is aware we are leaving Stormreach," Es'tal'en says as the roarings grow ever closer. Nelsrial nods to the hooded figure. "I retire to shield the ship from the dragon's magic and sight." The elf quickly disappears below decks and soon his raspy voice is heard quietly chanting spells.

As the beacon of the lighthouse shrinks into the distance, you are sure you see a large object come between its light and the ship, but no threats seem to come out of the dark mists. The elves at last begin to relax.

Melsitel resumes his role as the company's spokes man once at sea. "Now that we are safely out of Stormreach, I am sure you have many questions," he announces to the crew. "I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about us, the threats we face, and our destination. My fellow elves will, as per the contract, be working as part of your crew for the duration of our voyage. Feel free to use us for whatever tasks you trust us with." You can't help but note the warning glance he gives the bight haired Alimor.

((Q&A session! I'll give you a bit to ask what you may want. There is also a time skip ahead after this, so if you want to do something particular in the first couple days of the voyage, let me know))

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

The navigator returns to the deck in time to hear the elf's declaration. "Fine... let me be the first. Who exactly are you? What threats are you going to be bringing down on our crew? Oh, and of course, what is our destination, and what is it you seek there that has dragons trying to stop you?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

16. - Top - End - #166

Melsitel nods. "Who we are," he replies, "would depend on who you ask, I suppose. Adventurers, profiteers, explorers, researchers, tomb raiders... I'm sure there other, less flattering terms for us being used as well.

"To be more precise, the five of us here are mercenaries employed by Es'teli'on to protect Es'tal'en and help him locate and explore a specific ancient fortress of the giants here in Xen'drik. We believe this fortress as been undisturbed since one of the giant's great wars or at least since the fall of their civilization, so the relics and artifacts there would be invaluable to historians and researchers.

"Of course, there are others that believe these artifacts are best left undisturbed or who wish to raid the fortress for their own fortune. The Aerenal elves are among the first. We believe the dragon is of the latter, though we haven't stopped to ask her. The Riedrans could also be counted as our enemies. I'm afraid he had to cross them in the course of our adventure. I would not be surprised if there are others."

The other elves stand silently as Melsitel explains, each reacting to different parts of the explanation. Alimor's attention on Melsitel seems to turn predatory at the mention of Es'teli'on, but otherwise seems bored with the whole affair. Celidea and Nelsrial seem to shift uncomfortably as the elven spokesman lists their enemies. Besc seems to be made of stone, only reacting with a small frown at the mention of the Riedrans.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

The navigator raises a brow, "Are you telling me that our captain agreed to such an extremely risky proposition for his ship, his crew and his own neck in return for standard transportation fees?" He chuckles, "I know the captain, I think better than you did... so now you should tell us exactly what he was promised for recompense. You know, whatever was under the table and not listed in the contract."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

18. - Top - End - #168

"I wouldn't presume to know the late captain's motivation. Obviously he saw some worth in this voyage. 2,000 gold, his take of any unneeded treasures we may find, and, of course, the favor of a powerful mage in favorable standing with most of the dragonmarked houses. I fail to see where the mystery is," Melsitel answers with a shrug.

Behind him, Alimor mumbles, "Not like we told him of the scale-beast..." Melsitel shoots the colorful elf am angry glance, bringing a grin to Alimor's lips.

His explaination leaves you unconvinced. Captain Agarish was rarely motivated solely by profit and avoided politics as much as he could, paying little attention to power and influence outside of the docks and markets. He was one that was usually motivated by the heart, choosing voyages that aided, rescued, or freed the communities and travelers around Xen'Drik. Although he did have a strong love for the simple adventure of sailing around the dangerous seas of Xen'Drik, he was never one to take knowingly reckless and dangerous contracts.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey smiles, shaking his head slowly, "Now what did I tell you about upsetting the navigator... who knows how much that will throw off my calculations. Then again, maybe we don't need to deal with that at all. We could just break contract with you and sail right back into port. I bet that with a nice long court battle you might even take the ship away from us... too bad that would put you behind in this race you seem to have drafted us into." He pauses for dramatic effect, "Now... would you like to start telling us the truthful answer to my question?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

20. - Top - End - #170

"Maybe you should do that!" Alimor says, stepping forward angrily. "Its not like..."

His words end in a gasp as Besc grabs the back of his jerkin and yanks him back.

Melsitel throws Alimor a glare before replying, "Ignore our excitable friend here. He's good in a fight, but is a handful when not in one. We of course do not want to turn around and be delivered down the throats of our enemies. It isn't a race, you see. We have the only map, and one of the only people capable of finding the fortress. They are trying to catch us, not get there before us.

"As for the truth... you seem to have made up your mind as to what the truth is, so perhaps you should explain to us what you are expecting to hear."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey raises a brow, "You obviously aren't listening very well. We knew our captain... he wasn't the best of men, he wasn't always the best of captains... but he wouldn't have put his neck on the line with this journey for standard transportation costs. He also knew us... that his crew would not put up with him putting their necks on the line for standard transportation costs. So... if you are being truthful and you didn't offer him anything exceptional, it seems likely he found out about the dangers afterward, which might explain why he was killed - because knowing him as I do... he would have broken contract. Whether you were involved in that or not I'm not yet sure... though it seems you have some among you who like to act first and think later." He pauses, looking over the elves, "So... you can stick with whatever story you like about what you offered the captain. Let's get down to the Chandler's fees... what are you offering us to put our lives on the line for this journey? We are sailors, not adventurers... the loss of our ship in a legal dispute over a contract is nothing compared to the loss of our lives. It seems you might not have offered the captain fair recompense for the hazards you intended to put him in... please, don't make that mistake with us."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #172

Melsitel tilts his head and knits his brows as he considers Osprey's words. "Two thousand gold, all expenses for the voyage paid, and the rights to most of the treasures in a undisturbed giant ruin is quite generous for finical compensation. Likely enough to make everyone on board a rich man. I would not try to put a price to any favors of Es'teli'on may bestow.

"I assure you, that there was no agreements outside of the contract. If you feel your captain had other motives, I assure you, it was not through any agreement we bartered with him."

23. - Top - End - #173

Jack Trader

Having listened closely to the conversation, Jack speaks.

"Mr Osprey, I know you do not trust these passengers, and nor do any of us. I doubt they expect us to trust them. But you have said it yourself, we are sailors, not adventurers, and most certainly not pirates. Going back on our contract at this point would be nothing short of criminal, and we have no evidence to question it.

I agree, we are most likely unaware of the full truth, but who is to say that the full truth was not hidded by Agarish? What if he was looking for something? We all know that he was not one to take risks for extra money, but money is far from all that is treasure in this world.

However much we may suspect these passengers of ours, we have no evidence to support these suspicions, and asking for more money now is extortion of people who may be innocent in the matter."

He addresses the full crew

"I will not order you to risk your lives, however. We will take a vote, as to which course of action to take, do we continue on and stay true to the contract Agarish arranged? Or do we entrust all to our suspicions, break the contract and return to port, where we will face the legal repurcussions?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey nods his head deferentially to Jack Trader, "It goes as you say, Captain, as far as I'm concerned. My vote stands with yours. If my zeal to understand the former captain's choice was excessive, my apologies to you sirs." He bows his head deferentially toward the elves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to be clear, this is the first time I've heard the words "most of the treasures in an undisturbed giant's ruin" - was there anything like that in the original contract? The reason I ask is it sounds like very spotty language for what was supposed to be a very binding contract.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen nods, I am in favor of continuing onwards and keeping to our contract. She has her arms folded across her chest and her feet are planted firmly on deck.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

26. - Top - End - #176

MindFlayer

Farhl

The Sahaugin at the back makes his croay voice heard.

"We would revenge ourselves on any who broke contract with us, and would expect no less ourselves. We stay true to our word."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ah, quit yer blabb'rin, Trader. We're arready unner way, aint we? Y'know full well we never'da lef' port if we weren' gonna do it! 'Sides, if we din't honor Cap'n Ag'rish's last accord, we jus' wouldn't have no honor t'speak of.

As fer yer notions on th'late Cap'n, don't ye ever speak ill o him like tha' in front o me ag'in. He were a good man, sure as ships, an' an hon'rble one at tha'. Ye may be cap'n o th'ship I crew, but that man 'as truly me captain."

The sea kin wanders back to the rest of the crew, mumbling something under his breath about "no pitch hot"