New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Giants' Crown (One) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

Gwen

In the confusion, Gwen will attempt to slip the crumpled bit into her belt pouch, before the man gets to her. She has one hand on her scimitar as she watches him approach.

She's ready to either leave suddenly, or listen, depending on his actions and words.

Spoiler
    Show
    She doesn't have sleight of hand, so it's up to you how you want to do it, for hiding the paper.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Crow

"With the smell of you guys, I'm not surprised one could grow to that size" Crow said, looking down at them, moving his staff to lean on it. "But no, didn't see one" Taking a step forwards towards the door, he said "Now, would you mind stepping out my way as I'd rather not have to jump over you with the way the stench is rising" as he flared his wings

Spoiler
    Show
    Just doing standard criminal world insulting. Backing down being wussy and what not.
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

3. - Top - End - #93

Crow
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pirates take ready stances lifting up their blades for a moment. "Pffha," one of them exclaims. "We ain't ou' here to fight no birds. Sides, the cap'n's inside. If'n this one wants trouble, he can take care of 'im." The other two nod in agreement and step aside.

You enter and spot Gwen immediately. A talk, dark haired man stands in front of her, the worn coat of a naval commander draped over his solders, his hand on the hilt of the sword sheathed at his side. "Now," the man says to Gwen, "let's see wha' that beast threw at ye..."

Gwen
    Spoiler
    Show

In the commotion of the crew charging out of the tavern, you have no problem slipping the small paper into your pouch unseen.

Captain Morsan approaches you confidently, his hand resting easily on the hilt of the sword at his side.. "Sorry 'bout that lass," he says with a smile. "This tavern has had a bit of a rat problem. Me 'n' my boys have taken up the... charity of cleaning it up. Seems we missed one, we did.

"Now," he adds, inspecting the area, "let's see wha' that beast threw at ye..."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen raises an eyebrow and answers in a skeptical tone, So...the rats throw things at people? Rather interesting behavior for rats... She looks around for a likely something, expecting to find something like a turd or other similar disgusting object.

Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-07-30 at 05:41 AM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

5. - Top - End - #95

Crow

Walking up behind the commander, Crow spread his wings out standing up tall, blocking any sources of light from behind him. "This be the rat the size of dog your..." pausing as though searching for a word "...crew though I'm not sure if they qualify for that term" Crow muttered under his breath, continuing "Are outside terrorising passer-bys about? But I'm not here about that." Looking over his head at Gwen ignoring the commander, he said "Jack wants us back at the ship 10 minutes ago, so lets get a move on."
    Last edited by Chineselegolas; 2008-07-30 at 06:32 AM.

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96

Morsan smiles. "It be an interesting world we live in," he replies to Gwen, stepping aside. "Don' go makin' friends with those rats. Their time be at its end."

When you open the piece of paper:
    Spoiler
    Show

The small paper, only a square of a couple inches, has a detailed, if cramped, design drawn on it. It reminds you of some arcane designs you've seen over the years. On the back of the paper is a hastily scribbled note: "Save for a friend"

A spellcraft check may help you understand the design.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

She nods once, I'll take that into consideration. She keeps her expression neutral. She waits a moment for him to leave before she walks over to Crow.

I'm more than ready to leave. I can't say I enjoyed my little visit here. Whenever he's ready, she'll walk back with him.

Spoiler
    Show
    She'll save the note for back on the ship, no point in raising suspicions.

Spellcraft (1d20 5=16)
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-07-30 at 06:42 PM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

8. - Top - End - #98

Gwen
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're unable to make sense of the design on the paper.

And I forgot: You get the sense that Morsan was suspicious of you and the rat, but you didn't get feel that he was trying to deceive you or was particularly hostile.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2008-07-30 at 07:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Crow

Turning and walking out of the Leaky Dingy with Gwen, Crow headed back to the ship.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Jack Trader

"Indeed, will will be stealthy about reading their thoughts. And I'll make sure we know the names of everyone onboard. Kix, you can make up a "routine" passenger list as an excuse to get their details. As for their weapons, I believe we'll take them for safe storage away from the salt air, can't be too careful now. I think I will ask you to act ignorant, perhaps we should even disguise the fact that you're a mage at all, better to re-assure them that we pose no magical threat to them."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey looks surprised, "Mage, captain? What are you talking about... I'm the ship's navigator." He winks, "I'd better go make sure the crew knows it."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-01 at 08:19 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Kix

Kix nods.

"The passenger list will be simple enough, but I don't know if the salt air excuse for confiscating weapons will be believed. What if they have weapons that won't rust? I think we might be better off just telling them we don't want passengers carrying weapons on-board. And while we're on the subject of who's who, I'm Liam Sovellor, a half-elf who certainly can't put his fist through a brick wall."
    Last edited by Worira; 2008-08-01 at 04:55 PM.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

13. - Top - End - #103

Crow and Gwen push their way through the pirates searching the docks for rats in their half drunk, half crazed manner. Other than a few pirates demanding if they had seen any rats and a few elbows and nudges form the pirates crowding some of the walkways, they arrive back at the ship safely and with out further incident.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Gwen isn't overly fond of the extra contact, but continues to push through as they make it back to the ship.

Once there, she'll seek out the acting captain to talk to him.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey leaves the cabin and goes to speak to the crew, he eventually gets the word around that nobody is to refer to him as the ships mage for the next voygage... but only as the navigator.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

16. - Top - End - #106

Crow

Heading up to the crows nest, Crow caught a few winks of sleep waiting for the elves to show up, preparing for the worst, hoping for the best, all while longing to be out at see, the breeze blowing in the sails.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sitting cross-legged in the center of the deck, just abaft the mainmast, eyes closed, Barnacle Jack's keen ears detect the opening of the cabin door. His eyes open instantly, his liquid black eyes shining in the moonlight. Seeing the tall form of the mage step out of the small cabin, he rises gracefully and crosses the deck to intercept the lanky man.

"Mister Ospree, sir. I b'lieve I've got summat o' interest t'report to ye,"
    he says, quietly. "I've bin waitin' t'get ye t'meself f'r I'd have yer opinion on just who sh'd hear what I got t'say."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey pauses and nods, "Let's go to my cabin." After reaching it, and closing the door, he turns to Barnacle Jack. "What is it?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Barnacle Jack

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well tha first thing," says the sea kin in a low, gruff voice, "is tha' this is 'bout our passengers. 'Twas right about tha time that letch Trader was makin' a damn fool o' himself to Miss Gwen that it came into me head that it'd be wise t'not be there fr'a bit. I'as takin' a nice evenin' swim when I started t'hear a voice callin' into m'head, for sure as ships it weren't a sound from ou'side it. I looked t'see a trio o' figures on tha dock wavin me ov'r. I gave em' a bit of a show, ye might say, an' met em on tha edge o the pier.

S'spicious, they were. Two large brutes I liked th'look of not 'tall, stronger'n strong, no doubt, maybe even giantish... the third'as their leader, an' normal sized, tho' strange in 'ppearance. Purp'l eyes, the stranger had, an' blue hair. Soft spok'n man in robes, called himself Callon. He tells me we can't trust th'elves, aye, an' more, that tha blighters are lookin' for an ancient weapon, an a deadlier one than any known. Destroy worlds, he says. Tells me not to trust him, an' rightly I don't. Says he's with an org'nization t'destroy th'weapon, an' I wonder about that, but that also don' mean he in't at least tell'n tha truth 'bout tha weapon, or th'elves. On th'other hand, there's naught t'trust em' by, an' we are already bound by accord to th'elves, an' I'd not upset'em ov'r nothin.

Most s'spicious o' all, there's this."

He grabs a small leather pouch hanging from his belt and tosses it on the table, spilling some of its contents on the table.

"Payment, he told me. T'buy our trust. Symbol o' their "desire t'help", he called it. Didn't signify no accord, he added. Then they dis'peared int'tha fog, neat as anythin'. No word on contactin' em, but we are t'know them by tha rabbit wi' leaves fr'ears."

The weathered sailor looks up, staring into Osprey's eyes with his unreadable inky black gaze. "Now ye tell me what yer thinkin' o'that, Mister Navigator."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey frowns, hearing this and nods, "I've already spoken to Jack about the elves and our encounter with that young hotblood on the dock. He seems convinced that the passengers are the most likely suspects in the captain's death and so he actually wants to convey them to their destination. Doing so gives us more time in which we can investigate them. He also wants to figure out how we might reasonably disarm them, because there are some indications that they might be expecting to fight the crew at some point... probably once they have their artifact." He sighs, "The fact is, I don't trust our passengers, and despite the money, I don't trust these other strangers... in fact, keep that money together in the pouch... I want to check it and you for magical traces tomorrow. If I were them, I'd want to plant something on you that they could use to follow us. I'll tell Jack what you've told me, and he can get the full details from you tomorrow after I've examined the coins." He looks thoughtful, "Oh, and let the crew know, as far as our passengers are concerned, I'm not a wizard, I'm just the ship's navigator. I have a few useful magic items, but don't have any of them talking about me as the ship's mage. We'd like to keep our passengers as unclear about our capabilities as we can."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ayuh, Mist'r Osprey. I've no real love f'Trader, but he's actin' cap'n sure enough, an' if ye think it prudent to fill 'im in fully, as I s'pose it must be, I trust yer judgement. Me onny worry is that yer talent for knowin' men's min's aint unique, an' our new Cap'n's most likely target o' such magic.

In any case, ye know what ye need. I'll leave th'decisions t'yer sharp mind, Mi'er Ospree. I'll fill th'crew in on yer... newest job description. But I think I'll keep mum 'bout th'elves, tha strangers, an' tha gold. Is'ere anythin' else ye want I should tell th'rest o' the crew?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey shakes his head, "Just tell them not to act surprised about any 'special' regulations that Trader comes up with for our passengers... act as if anything he tells them is our standard operating procedure."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

The sea kin nods and exits the room without another word. Once he's back on deck, he spreads the news to the other sailors: Osprey is a strictly non-magical navigator. Trader may instate strange new rules. Be on guard, but act natural.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

Once Gwen finds the captain, she will pass on the information she learned from the guard station and from the Bilge Rats. She will take the crumpled piece of paper to Osprey to check with him on it.

This was dropped in my lap by a rat at the Bilge Rats before everyone chased all the rats out.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a piece of paper with some sort of design on it. I believe it takes a spellcraft check to figure it out.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey takes the paper from Gwen and looks at it curiously.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft: (1d20+16)[21]
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #116

Osprey

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately you are unable to make sense of the strange diagram.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey shrugs, "I'm not sure what it means... mind if I keep it to study for a bit?" He looks at Gwen, "By the way, where did you get it?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Kix

After making his way around the ship informing the crew to refer to him as Liam Sovellor the half-elf, Kix heads to his office and finds the ship's cargo list, and appends a "Passengers" subsection under the "Livestock and Assorted Animals" section. Checking the "Armaments and Tools of War" section, and its "Armaments and Tools of War, Magical" subsection, he heads off to find the passengers.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen

A rat dropped it in my lap at the Leaky Dingy... And then everyone in the place ran out chasing the rats. I slipped it into a pouch and came back. I also need to run back out in the morning at 6 bells to get the information the captain wanted. Do you know what time we'll be leaving?
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Osprey

Osprey shakes his head, "Not sure... sometime after the passengers board, I assume... with the next tide. The acting captain will decide, but he has yet to inform me." He tucks the paper in a pouch, assuming since she said nothing that it's okay to hold onto for now.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald