New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Hidden Nightmare (Eberron 3.5) - IC Thread #1

Introduction

This is the 1st IC thread of the Hidden Nightmare campaign.
    I'll use this 1st post to gather important informations related to the campaign, such as houserules, active players and the like.

Please, make OOC comments in this thread.
    For submissions, look at this thread.
    Here is a good map of Khorvaire for you to use.

Active characters:

Waiting list:
    Empty

Vanished players:
    Oak, Warforged Druid (Gig_Complex) [Crunch issues]
    Mae, Changeling Rogue (Icarus Smith)

House rules:
    1. I use fixed saving throws (12+modifier) and variable DC's on effects that require a saving throw (1d20+DC-10). This way the attacker always makes the roll and chances to be affected by the effect are statistically the same. A natural 20 or natural 1 on the attacking roll is equal to a natural 1 or 20 respectively on the would-be saving throw.
    2. Also, living beings don't die at -10, but either at -10 or at -(half maximum hp rounded down), the lower of these numbers. Temporary hp don't count, while constitution increases or decreases count.
    3. If you happen to die after an enemy attack (power word kill, finger of death, disintegrate, a critical from a scythe wielded by a raging barbarian, an accidental fall into a deep spiked pit trap...) you can spend 3 action points to instead fall dying and unconscious at 1 hp above your death line (for instance, if you would die at -15, you fall unconscious to -14) and stable. Constitution is also restored to 1 if needed.
      I won't allow this action point usage if you are going into a suicidal thing, like "I fall from this cliff 500 ft high, since I have 6 action points and I won't die if I spend 3 of them..." or "you there are the most powerful charger knight of the realm? well, do your worst, I can afford even two critical hits because of my 6 action points, then my allies will kill you and stabilize me!". If you are going to commit suicide that way, you are just plain dead.

Dice Rolls:
    Please, use this thread to make your rolls and put a link to them in posts in which you use them. Add relevant informations about why you are rolling in that thread, just above or left to the dice roll.

Post format:
    Adventure posts will be done in prose format.
    "All of you choose a (different) color and speak with that color in bold between double quotes. I'll use black for NPC's."
    Actions will be in normal text, 3rd person POV, and past tense.

Fell free to separate by paragraphs at conversation breaks or at logical action breaks.
    *Thoughts will be in italic between asterisks, not colored unless you have a way to communicate telepathically.*
    "Se parlate con un linguaggio diverso da quello Comune (come l'Elfico), inventate del testo appropriato e mettete la traduzione in un doppio spoiler come questo per chi potrebbe capirlo."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you speak Italian?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If you speak in a language other than Common (such as Elven), invent some appropriate text and put the translation in a double spoiler like this for characters who comprehend that language."

Please, don't make real language translations, this was only an example

Spoiler
    Show
    Put any technical information such as roll results and technical explanations of your actions in spoilers.
    Put links to your rolls in the Dice Rolls thread as well if you use any roll for your actions.
    Temporary put in spoiler also things that MAY likely happen in your action if anything happens during the combat round but you posted before your initiative count (eg: if an enemy may be killed by an ally, you can select a different opponent or even different actions)

I will roll your initiative, stealth and perception checks in order to set up the fight in only 1 post.
    Combat will use initiative as normal, but you can post even when it's not your turn, especially if you happen to visit the site and you know that you are going to go away for a time and may not be present at your actual initiative count.
    Your actions will happen at your turn as normal, but hopely this will speed up things because we will not be waiting for the next one in initiative order to log in.
    The drawback is that once in a while you will be required to edit your previous post if you can't pursue your stated actions anymore, that's why I suggested to put in spoilers any likely variation, so it would be only a matter of copy and paste.
    Last edited by Krinn; 2008-07-02 at 10:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Hidden Nightmare (Eberron 3.5) - IC Thread #1

Prologue
    A Hidden Menace

Therendor (March) 4th 998 YK

It was early spring in Khorvaire, and clouds sometimes obscured the sun on the road between Redleaf and Varna, in the eastern edge of the Elden Reaches.
    Early in the morning, a lone horse-car was going toward the Eldeen biggest trading city.
    Mae's family was aboard, and their wandering took them for the first time into the Eldeen Reaches by the end of the war, two years earlier.
    The green landscape was beautyful and the trip untroubled, until five thugs appeared from behind some bushes at the edges of the road.
    He who appeared the band leader shouted to the man holding the reins.
    "Stand still and nobody will be hurt. There is a toll to pay to keep roads safe, else you risk troubles with some wandering bandit groups."
    The four men behind him laughed.
    "This year we softened our wages, so you can just pay with... your car, jewelry and money only."
    A deep silence held the family, while the breadwinner cast a glance to his wife and daughter.
    "Sure, we didn't know anything about this toll, but if it's for our own security... Please, let us go off this car and we'll give you every thing we own..."
    "You seem wise indeed, man. Be swift."
    The bandit chief replied.
    "Liza, Mae, ready your jewelry for these nice guys while I do the same."
    The man dismounted from the car, and put his hand to his pouch.
    "Very well, give it to me."
    "As you desire..."
    "What the he..."

The man was really fast drawing his knife from the pouch and launched it to the bandit chief, while the women on board shot with their hand crossbows.
    "As you wish, daddy!"

Another bend.
    The road to Redleaf was boring, even for a warforged.
    A black glassy warforged was walking alone on the road to Redleaf, with his black stone double axe in hand.
    "Nothing happens here, this road is too calm. Why bandits are avoiding us? I know for sure that a band or two hides somewhere between Varna and Wyr, maybe we are a too big bite for them, har har har. Anyway, these Reaches are enough for me, these treekissers can't realize the true value of weapons and good fights."
    The axe couldn't answer, of course, but it never betrayed him, unlike that pityful halfelf who actually sent the guards to his organization. And warforged never forget things. Well, almost never...
    A far noise wakened Obsidian from his thoughts.
    *A fight?!?
    Yes, it ought to be a fight, maybe if I run I'll reach them before the fight is over*

Obsidian ran as fast as he could, and saw a car around which seven men were fighting. An eighth was on the ground already.
    *Hohooo, let's have some fun!*
    The warforged charged and entered combat amok.

"Isaea! No!"
    Mae's mother shouted while her husband was suddenly hit by a lucky strike that knocked him down.
    "Mum, watch it!"
    A black warforged appeared quickly from nowhere, and with a rapid swing of his axe wielded two-handed cut the head of the farthest bandit, the very same guy who shot the arrow to Isaea.
    As a result, the other four bandits faced the new menace, surrounding the warforged.
    Their flank was then free for the two women to strike, deadly, but not before the warforged took some bad hit and fell to the ground.

The battle ended soon, with the death of the bandits. Liza made Isaea drink a potion to let him recover from his wounds.
    "Who the hell is this one?" His first words were.
    "The one who saved our lifes, actually. What are we doing with him?"
    "I don't know how to repair these... machines, but we will head up to Varna and make a good magewright repair him at our expenses. We owe that to him."

Therendor (March) 22nd, 998 YK

"Do you think that this is a good idea?"
    "Well, this is a warforged matter, and neither of us actually knows their nature better than him, you know... and on top of that Yaean will also accompany him from Varna."
    "Yes, but I'm not sure either, maybe we should send another one..."
    "It would be the fifth time we send another one, Ka-bar. Let's give him a try this time."
    "As you wish, master Ghorunka."
    "Shht, he is approaching."

The two druids were talking in their grove, hidden deep in the forest, when the warforged showed up.
    "Did you call me, master Ghorunka?"
    "Yes, Oak. Our contact in Varna needs our assistance, and this is at last your time to go."
    The half-orc female druid said. "You will meet Yaean in the city."
    "Our contact? Who is he?"
    "His name is Rhapsody Gates, he is a wizard who works by the magewright Kane in Varna, you are going to reach him in the city.
    "What do we know about that?"
    "It's all around a strange warforged, he discovered... something... inside him."

Oak was surprised, and his artificial eyes looked prying at Ghorunka.
    "Inside? What exactly did he find?"
    "A mark. It resembles a sort of... living dimensional lock, the warforged himself doesn't know anything about it, and the key itself doesn't seem to be active in any way, but he must be brought here to further study this strange thing. Don't worry, nobody here wants to hurt him, but we must know what's happening. Here is a drawing of the mark."
    The half-orc gave a blank piece of parchment to the warforged.
    "It's magically concealed. You must speak the right word in druidic to make the drawing appear."
    Oak spoke the word and the parchment was suddently filled with drawing.
    "It's not possible... this seems one of our wards! Why the hell is this inside that warforged? What does this mean?"
    "That's the very thing we are going to discover as soon as possible, and we need you to bring him here... and Rhapsody as well. Our curious wizard noticed the warding glyph, but wasn't able to understand anything more than an abjuration pattern. In fact, our wards should be known to our sect only and I was quite surprised when I saw his letter."

Chapter I
    A trip in the forest

Eyre (April) 4th, 998 YK

Varna.
    The largest city in the Eldeen Reaches and the center for trade and contact with the rest of Khorvaire.
    It's also the greatest stronghold of House Vadalis and if an adventurer seeks a topgrade magebred warhorse or a pegasus to serve as a mount, Varna is the place to go.
    Many businesses take place within the city and the Hunter’s Grove, an enormous temple dedicated to the Sovereign Lord Balinor may be found just at the periphery.
    The magewright Kane had his own office just in front of the temple, providing cheap repairs and masterwork hand-crafted gear.
    He oughted to be closed, but a warforged and an elf knocked and entered the house, where other five humans and a black glassy warforged were waiting for them.
    Kane the magewright was a handsome middleaged well dressed human, with dark hair, azure eyes and a neat goatee. His goods were all in order on either two of the three desks or the many shelves around. One desk was instead filled with written parchment, books and an ivory abacus. All around that desk were eigth chairs, some of them occupied by the presents.
    "Welcome to you, we were all waiting for you. Please, enter and make yourselves at home."

Spoiler
    Show
    Now it's up to you, please be acquainted with everybody. Oak and Yaean know how to get to the druid grove, while Rhapsody has been there twice but both time accompanied by a different Gatekeeper ranger. I'll NPC Kane the magewright and Mae's parents (they all seem human).
    @Oak, Yaean: It takes 10 days to get there for a warforged druid (doesn't need to sleep and woodland stride) and about a month for a non warforged non druid through the forest. You must head up to Cree and then head north-west and enter the forest (a total of about 500 miles, 300 in plains and 200 in forest).
    @Yaean: Ghorunka sent you an animal messenger with a little scroll: "Meet with our warforged druid Oak at Kane's workshop next Sul (Sunday), Eyre 4th, at dawn. You'll head up to our grove with another warforged and a wizard. He'll explain you anything you need."
    @Rhapsody: You temporary work with Kane and sometimes send mail to the Gatekeepers. It's not like a spystory, it's only a favor they demand in exchange for some trips into the forest for your studies. Kane may or may not know about that, as you best like.
    @Mae: Dad and mum are going to settle in Varna for some time before going somewhere else and it's SOOO boring to live in family every day... and maybe you feel in debt with Obsidian... Feel free to describe your parents yourself!
    @Obsidian: You woke up in Kane's workshop. Kane and Rhapsody told you about the glyph hidden in your body. You give little importance to the abjurative things these fellows are telling you, but nonetheless that's like your heart, it gives energy to your body itself. You actually fought a few warforged and noticed that their "heart" wasn't like yours, but heh, you have also a strange obsidian armor that you saw nowhere else. You may feel different because you feel superior. Sometimes you could ask yourself "why am I so different?" or "where was I born?", but that's up to you, and when fights show up, they don't really let you think very much about your heritage... until now.
    Last edited by Krinn; 2008-06-16 at 02:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yaean

The elf bows without breaking eye contact. A slight smile creases his lips. He wears a huntsman's garb, and is armed with a rapier and quiver, but no bow.

"I am sorry you have been kept waiting." His eyes flick here and there about the room, matching faces to names, perhaps.

"This is Oak. I am Yaean. Shall we begin?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, he's looking for refreshments. Spot 27.

Note, you may want to create a new OOC thread instead of using the thread under recruiting.
    Business Trip 6/7 - 6/18. I'll try to keep up.
    Gwydr

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rhapsody

Seated at the desk currently was a man whose features were indistinguishable in the shadow of the hood he wore, a faded black. He was currently writing furiously on parchment, all around him spread out many diagrams and formulas, in a neat flowing text. Every so often, he would pause to reach out and push a few beads around on the abacus before returning to his work.

Due to the new arrival of Oak and Yaean, he set his quill into the ink pot, sitting up and apparently looking at the two, though it was hard to tell with his upper face concealed.

"You are eighteen minutes over your estimated time of arrival. I will note to set this as the standard variable for your appointments in the future." He took up a small notebook, opening it up and scribbling inside of it. "...I am Rhapsody Gates." He spoke as an afterthought, closing the notebook and setting it down on the table.
    I am the Catboy. I demand pettings!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The warforged sits up from the workshop table. He is slightly more bulky than the average warforged, being built with extremely sturdy and powerful limbs, yet something about him gives the feeling of a grace and agility as well.

His material form is the most unusual thing about him: a glistening black glassy metal of some kind, both black, slightly translucent, and very reflective all at the same time, yet spread in varying shades so as to leave a clear image of a figure, rather than a carved block. His eyes are particularly unusual: pitch black as well, and reflecting light, but without the translucence of the rest of the body.

The plates of his chest are currently unscrewed and hanging open, revealing the unusual core.

Giving the druid's a rather bothered look, he speaks "So, you want to take me to your other measly buddies to look at this." he says, gesturing towards the glowing core embedded in his torso.

"Well, not sorry to tell you that I don't think I'll be coming," Obsidian continued. "I've got things to do, places to be," he lied.

6. - Top - End - #6

Yaean

Yaean glances to Oak, deflecting Rhapsody's affront and Obsidian's petulance. He moves away from the door to read titles from a shelf. I wonder if dead-or-alive is within our mandate.
    Gwydr

7. - Top - End - #7

DwarfFighterGuy

The druid answered to Rhapsody.

"Eighteen minutes over ten days of travel? Well, it's wonderful, isn't it?"

Then looked at the other Warforged, as he entered the room and sit on a chair, in front of Obsidian.
    He focused for a couple seconds on his core.

*The wizard named Rhapsody was right indeed, this core is something familiar, yet nothing I would've thought to find in one of us...*
    "Please, I didn't walk through the forest for all that time to get a no as an answer. Besides, I know that time isn't an issue for a Warforged, and I'm sure that my Order will refund your disturb.
    Profusely.
    But we need to know more about your core, and you too should be curious about it."

Kane noticed Yaean looking for food, and replied confused.
    "Ohh, where did I put my hospitality?
    This isn't an inn, but I have something for you, it's rare for me to host a druid, so please, accept these snacks..."

He took a glassy jar filled with corn biscuits and some flasks of water from one of the shelfs.
    "They taste better than what they seem."
    And offered each a couple of buiscuits and a glass of water.

Oak replied.
    "I thank you, but I don't eat..." He would have smiled if he could.

The druid looked at Rhapsody instead.
    "Archdruid Ghorunka needs your assistance as well..."

A loud noise suddenly came from the outside. Steel on steel right between the shop and the temple, it seems.
    Mae and her parents suddenly went behind a window, hand crossbows in their hands. The father said.
    "Six men are right out of here, they're attacking... what?!? They're on a Warforged and a Druid!"

Spoiler
    Show

@Thao, Unit357: You live in Varna and work in the Eldeen militia to keep roads safe, like a police corp. You were coupled yesterday evening (like actual cops, militia men work in couple), and today it's your first day of work together. You receive orders from the Wardens of the Wood, the greatest druid sect within the Eldeen Reaches, whose duty is to protect the plains and forests, especially their homeland.
    You were patroling just outside the Temple of Balinor and were talking about your orders and to know each other, when a half dozen humans engaged you from behind the trees, near the temple itself. Thao may choose whether he is mounted on his dinosaur or not.
    3 humans are threatening you from one side and the other 3 are moving in order to flank you. The first 3 missed their attacks, hitting either the Thao's shield or Unit357's plating.

Your Initiative Order:
    Mae (and her parents): (1d20+3)[23]
    Unit357: (1d20+4)[19]
    Yaean: (1d20+4)[16]
    Thao Swiftfoot: (1d20+3)[14]
    Rhapsody Gates: (1d20+2)[11]
    Obsidian: (1d20+2)[10]
    Oak: (1d20)[7]

Map:
    Code:
    |xy|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z|xy|
    |01|T|T|T| | | | | |B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B| | |01|
    |02|T|T|T| | | | | |B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B| | |02|
    |03|T|T|T| | |6| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |03|
    |04|T|T|T|T| | |5| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |04|
    |05|T|T|T|T| | |4| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |05|
    |06|T|T|T|T| |2|3| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |06|
    |07|T|T|T|T| |1|t|u| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |07|
    |08|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |08|
    |09|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |09|
    |10|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |10|
    |11|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |11|
    |12|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |12|
    |13|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |13|
    |14|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |14|
    |15|T|T|T|T| | | | |S|W|S|D|S|W|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|15|
    |16|T|T|T|T| | | | |S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|16|
    |17|T|T|T|T| | | | |S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|17|
    |18|T|T|T|T| | | | |S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|18|

T= Trees and undergrowth
    B= Temple of Balinor
    S= Shops
    D= Magewright Kane's Door (everyone else is inside the shop, at L17 for convenience)
    W= Magewright Kane's Windows (shutters almost closed) 
    t= Thao
    u= Unit357
    1-6=attackers
    Last edited by Krinn; 2008-07-01 at 06:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Mmmm...Refund, eh? ...May-" Obsidian is cut off by the loud noises, and almost instantly turns his head to the window. He rapidly stands up, slamming his chest plate shut with one hand.

With the other hand and one foot he hits both ends of the axe, flipping it into the air and catching it before sprinting out of the house, weapon spinning in his fingers.

Spoiler
    Show
    So uh, I don't know exactly what kind of actions that would involve, nor do I know how far from the door I am, so put me whatever distance between building and bandits you deem appropriate.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-07-01 at 08:06 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Yaean

In daylight? Right in front of the temple? Have they never heard of Flamestrike?

Yaean sets his glass on a trivet and reaches the door in three fluid steps. Taking in the scene, he moves left and pulls from his quiver a bow that is much too large to have fit inside.

"Stand. Down."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move 30' to I14 while drawing a weapon.
    Ready an action to shoot the first thug that presses the attack.

intimidate - (1d20-1)[13]
    To Hit - (1d20+7)[25] not counting cover
    Damage - (1d8+2)[8]
    Gwydr

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Unit357

"This is not going to end well for one of us." the massive warforged says as he draws his humongous sword and moves to engage the closest enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step to G8 and attack enemy number 1.
    Attack - (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage - (2d6+6)[15]

In case of critical:

Attack - (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage - (2d6+6)[14]
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rhapsody adjusts the edge of his hood, sighiing as he hears the sounds of battle outside. Walking at a very brisk pace, he walks out of the workshop to observe for a brief moment. Analyzing the situation, he casts a finger into the air, muttering and drawing sigils and shapes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rhapsody moves to K11 (30ft), begins casting Summon Monster II. No rolling needed for now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

"The very same barbaric stench as of the gnolls fills the air. The evil of your blood and bone rots within you. Feel the bitter sting of death!"

Mounted atop his reptilian beast of burden, the fiery headed halfling lunged at one of the bandits. His ivory lance carved of bone, sifting in the rays of light. The halfling was no ordinary spectacle with some unique sort of black leather adorning his torso. It wasn't ordinary to see a dinosaur rider up in these parts.

His face was painted with grief and anguish of old memories. Balinor cursed! The scars you've caused me haunt me even now. With a shriek from the lizard, Thao, thrusted his weapon wildly. I can't focus. not when the memories of battle bring this swarming back to me

Last edited by Faithless; 2008-07-01 at 10:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfFighterGuy

The attackers started surrounding the warforged and the druid, but the warforged's reaction was swift, and the closest to him found his head rolling on the ground.
    A really impressive blow, but the others continued the attack nonetheless, taking no care of the other people showing off from the near shop.
    The halfling, still surprised, missed, leaving his guard vulnerable.
    Another thug attempted an attack with his short sword, but found a precise arrow in his neck, and fell down.
    The remaining four surrounded the druid and tried to hit him with their swords, but all of them missed. That halfling seemed tougher than others.
    The two warforgeds and the wizard exited the shop as well and joined combat, Oak and Rhapsody with their magic, and Obsidian the old hard way, as he approached the thugs.
    The enemies seemed astonished when they saw three warforgeds in a row.
    "Al-khaneh rogaymor meke'thran yh quashter po-eyah! V'karr u khronesta?" one of them asked to another.
    "Rhopen khronesti a parknu me tan!" was the angry answer, as the thug refined his hold on the sword grip.
    Mae and her parents went out of the shop with their hand crossbow and shooted at the nearest enemies trying not to hit the halfling and the warforged, but missed the thugs as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative Order:
    Mae (and her parents): 23
    Unit357: 19
    Thao Swiftfoot: 14
    Yaean: 12
    Attackers: 12
    Rhapsody Gates: 11
    Obsidian: 10
    Oak: 7

Map:
    Code:
    |03|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |03|
    |04|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |04|
    |05|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |05|
    |06|T|T|T|T| |4|6|5| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |06|
    |07|T|T|T|T| | |t|3| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |07|
    |08|T|T|T|T| | |u| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |08|
    |09|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |09|
    |10|T|T|T|T| | | | |o| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |10|
    |11|T|T|T|T| | | | | | |r|m|l| | | | | | | | | | | | | |11|
    |12|T|T|T|T| | | | | |i|k| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |12|
    |14|T|T|T|T| | | | |y| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |14|

T= Trees and undergrowth
    B= Temple of Balinor
    S= Shops
    D= Magewright Kane's Door (everyone else is inside the shop, at L17 for convenience)
    t= Thao
    u= Unit357
    o= Obsidian
    k= Oak
    m= Mae
    l= Liza
    i= Isaea
    y= Yaean
    r= Rhapsody
    3-6=attackers
    @Thao Swiftfoot, Yaean: You saw a movement in C1... a man is observing you from behind a tree.
    Last edited by Krinn; 2008-07-02 at 07:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Unit357

"This will be even easier than I thought. the warforged says, and would probably laught at that, would his nature not prevent him from that. He moves and engases the next enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot diagonal step to F7, attacking enemy number 4.

Attack - (1d20+8)[13]
    damage - (2d6+6)[14]

In case of critical:

Attack - (1d20+8)[9]
    damage - (2d6+6)[14]
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2008-07-02 at 10:07 AM.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

15. - Top - End - #15

Yaean

Yaean smiles in satisfaction-- at the sudden reversal of odds, at the obvious competance of his new associates, at the perceptive edge granted by his elvish blood.

"Try to leave some alive. I want to know who breaks peace in this town, and why."

Yaean advances, moving to block the easy retreat into the forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to E10. If thug 4 has been dispatched, continue to E5, otherwise stop in E7. He won't make eye contact with the man spotted in C1.
    Last edited by Maurkov; 2008-07-02 at 12:25 PM.
    Gwydr

16. - Top - End - #16

Thao

"Filthy Mongrel."

An uncertain bitterness rang in his voice. Thao leaned over his mount jabbing at another bandit. His hand shaking wildly still. Why now, when it is strength not grievance I need.

"I will try to knock one unconscious, Elf, shortly after I skewer this fool."

Spoiler
    Show

Bandit 5
    attack - (1d20+6)[9]Damage - (1d6+2)[4]
    Crit Confirm - (1d20+6)[26]
    Last edited by Faithless; 2008-07-02 at 12:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rhapsody ignores the swishing of bolts through the air, the clash of steel and the splatter of blood for now, concentrating as he continues to draw silver lines in the air, a complex mathematical formula coming into being right in front of Rhapsody. Finally, he finished, releasing it as the formula blurred and converged into itself, shooting forth towards one of the attackers.

The silver blend of numbers and symbols swirled briefly, before star-bursting, leaving behind a towering centipede over the man, clacking its mandibles and digging its many legs into the ground. The blood red insect hissed, before snaking its head down to take a bite out of the man.

"Manifest Creature #9 squared, Crawling Doom," Rhapsody announced stoically to the coming of his extraplanar ally.

Spoiler
    Show
    Note: Due to Augment Summoning feat, Crawling Doom has the textbook Fiendish Monstrous Centipede, Large abilities, plus +4 to Str and Con. Applying those to the attack rolls.

Attack (Bite): (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]
    Poison (Fort DC 11): (1d4)[4] Dex damage

Crit Confirm: (1d20+4)[5]
    Last edited by Kawaii Catboy; 2008-07-02 at 01:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Obsidian, grinning madly, sprints forward with a burst of speed greater than what most men can accomplish. After only a few steps he leaps into the air, spinning his thick black axe beside him as he streaks towards one of the bandits, slamming the great weapon down into the space between the man's shoulder and neck.

Spoiler
    Show
    The leap has no mechanical purpose. Charging to H8 with an attack, promptly wrecking bandit 3.

Attack: (1d20+10)[21] extra +2 from charge
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9]

-2 to AC till my next turn from the charge attack, dropping it to 14 from it's normal 16.

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfFighterGuy

The adamantine warforged unleashed a powerful blow, but he missed. The druid, still confused by the ambush, missed as well.
    The four remaining thugs, this time perfectly set for a flanking, all attacked the halfling rider, but his armor blocked three hits and the fourth missed due to his shield.
    Rhapsody's Crawling Doom suddenly appears and flanks a thug, but it missed.
    Obsidian, on his own, hits brutally with his double axe, slamming the great weapon down into the space between the man's shoulder and neck and knocking him down in a blood pool.
    Oak finished his spell like Rhapsody and a wolf appeared 25 feet left of him, ready to charge the thug right in front of it.
    "Take him down!" Oak ordered.
    The wolf charged and hit the thug's arm with its bite, but he stood on his feet.
    Mae and her parents reloaded their crossbows and waited for a clearer shot.

Spoiler
    Show

Code:
    |03|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |03|
    |04|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |04|
    |05|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |05|
    |06|T|T|T|T| |6| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |06|
    |07|T|T|T|T|y|4|t|5| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |07|
    |08|T|T|T|T| |w|u| |c| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |08|
    |09|T|T|T|T| | | |o| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |09|
    |10|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |10|
    |11|T|T|T|T| | | | | | |r|m|l| | | | | | | | | | | | | |11|
    |12|T|T|T|T| | | | | |i|k| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |12|
    |14|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |14|

T= Trees and undergrowth
    B= Temple of Balinor
    S= Shops
    t= Thao
    u= Unit357
    o= Obsidian
    k= Oak
    c= Crawling Doom
    m= Mae
    l= Liza
    i= Isaea
    y= Yaean
    r= Rhapsody
    4-6=attackers
    @Thao swiftfoot: You lose line of sight with the hidden man as he steps away
    @Yaean: You see him well instead, he is slowly going away and is now in A1. He doesn't seem to have seen you.
    Last edited by Krinn; 2008-07-06 at 08:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Obsidian, not losing any momentum, spins over the first downed foe and axe-first into the second.

Spoiler
    Show
    5-foot step to H8, hitting bandit 5.

Attack: (1d20+8)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Unit357

Seeing another warforged joining the battle, Unit357 is quite pleased at the way things are turning out. From the looks of it, this newcomer is quite competent combatant and can take care of himself. Swinging his sword at the enemy on his other side, he tries to wrap this as soon as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage - (2d6+6)[18]

In case of a crit:

Attack - (1d20+8)[25]
    Damage - (2d6+6)[16]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rhapsody glided forward, getting direct sight of the fifth bandit. He raised a hand, making a very simple gesture, spinning a circle with his finger, as a small green blob appeared. "Quick Decay," he recited, tossing the orb at the man, while Crawling Doom skittered around to flank the man with Obsidian, going for another bite.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rhapsody's Acid Splash attack (Touch AC): (1d20+3)[13] for (1d3)[1] acid damage. Moved to K7 (20ft or 4 squares).

Crawling Doom's Bite Attack (+2 for flanking): (1d20+6)[9] for (1d8+3)[7] bite damage.

Poison is (1d20+1)[8] for (1d4)[4] Dex damage against fort.

(Minor Note: Crawling Doom is a Large creature, occupying a 10ftx10ft square.)

23. - Top - End - #23

Digging his heels nto his mount, the creature took a few steps out of the flank and jabbed furiously at another bandit.

Spoiler
    Show

Shift out of the flank up one. Attack Bandit 6.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[7]
    Critical - (1d20+6)[24]
    Critical Damage - (2d6+4)[7]