New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Cantaras: Party Two

Piex: The City of Zoti

The bright face of the morning sun shines down upon the clear blue waters of the Sea of Glass even as your ship pulls into the port of Zoti. From the bow you can see the tiled roofs of the warehouses and other buildings filling out the Docktown section in the west of Zoti reflecting the light into a shimmering hodgepodge of color that seems to float slightly above the city itself. Jutting up into this wave of color are the tops of the largest buildings: The Hall of the Retainers and the largest temples on the Street of the Gods. It almost seems as if these structures themselves keep watch over the remainder of the city.

Upon disembarkment, you find yourselves upon standing upon the dock as the hustle and bustle of ship workers unloading cargo whirls around you. The smell of salt air and fresh fish permeate your nostrils. Ahead of you lies the tangle of smaller streets and alleys which comprise the disintegrated far end of Merchant’s Bridge Road. Amidst the tangle are several small shops, inns, public houses and houses of ill repute which cater to the dockworkers and sailors.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Cantaras: Party Two

A young man wearing bright mythral chain over brown worn clothes stands on the dock. A buckler in one arm, a spear in the other, and a full backpack correctly sugest he's no ordinary traveler.

Leo breathes the rich air deeply, and let's himself be bathed in the morning sun. Ah, why did he felt like he never truly apreciated those simple pleasures of life.

Holding his spear with one hand while with the other pushing his chestnut hair for the side, Leo then hears the voice of Paimon on his head, sugesting that a visit to the houses of pleasure, dancing and drinking is a much better idea than simply apreciating the sun. Maybe he should have binded someone else first thing in the morning...

Spoiler
    Show
    Biding check for Paimon, let's say I did it back in my cabin.
    (1d20+6)[25]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Sebek Kothoga

The jungle elf inhales deeply the smells of the city, enjoying the salty air as well as the scent of fresh fish. A rumble stirs his belly. "I think our first order of business should be a meal," he says with a smile as he looks at his companions.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

4. - Top - End - #4

With a rare surge of will, Leo manages to repress the vestige's voice while keeping his strenght and posture.

Leo wonders if it was only luck, or if he's really geting better at the dark arts of biding...Probably luck. Few people had managed to master the vestige's art. Why would he be any better? Well, at least today he was himself for once. Speaking of wich, what did he exactly know about this town...

Spoiler
    Show
    Paimon under control, no need for drooling mouths

Knowledge history to see what I know about Piex. Important events that may be hapening, any adventuring guilds, any strange law that may be in effect, etc.

(1d20+7)[12]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Alloren Taifen

A young gentleman in simple, comfortable clothing steps off after the other two. His sword, his many daggers, the light chain shirt that he wears over his clothes, and his general bearing suggest that perhaps he's not unaccustomed to combat.

Smiling at the shaman's suggestion, Alloren nods, replying,

"That's fine by me. Let's see what I can remember about this town...been a while since I stopped here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Piex - (1d20+8)[26]
    General info, but especially looking for any information about local delicacies, particularly fondly recalled restaurants, and so on. Taifen will immediately report anything that he can recall.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-06-17 at 08:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Check results:

Leo: You know that the city of Zoti, and all if Piex, are loosley ruled by the Churches on the Street of the Gods and Retainers. There are no laws, per se, but wise people don't cross anyone who shows open affiliation with any of the larger churches, particularly Hextor, or has the patronage seal of the Hall of Retainers on themselves or their property. The seal is typically a plaque on an object and a patch upon clothing.

Taifen: In your sea faring you had been to Zoti once or twice before, although never going much farther in than the dockside area. In the docks you are familiar with two establishments you regarded as particularly good: The Travis, a sizeable inn with high quality (for the docks) food, and the Monk's Stein, an alehouse that has some food but has particularly good homebrewed ale of several varities. Nymphs Abode is also a particularly well regarded music spot and... um... house of ill repute (Up to you if Taifen has ever actually been in the place). You have also heard, but not been to, two of the more famous inns in the center of Zoti. The Philosophers Ear, located near the intersection of the Street of the Gods and the Merchant's Bridge Road, and Retainers Rest, down the block from the Hall of the Retainers. The rich and powerful of each group tend to congregate there. The food and drink is regarded as top notch but it is also expensive.

Sorry for the delay, I was waiting to see if the other two members of the group posted anything. Onward and upward I suppose.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC, Lord Gareth is out for just a bit... He mentioned it in the OOC. So I'd say go with: Endeca remains silent as she drinks in her surroundings. Or somesuch.
    And that leaves... Anya...aka Silverkiss...
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-06-19 at 09:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Alloren Taifen

"Well, if you want to eat soon, we probably should hit The Travis. It's a little ways to the west here. Once we get a bit more cash, and you aren't immediately hungry, there're a couple of other places I want to visit, but right now, it'd take a bit of walking, and we probably couldn't even eat a whole meal there."

With that, Taifen begins walking along the street, presumably toward The Travis.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, we'll just let them join in as though they were with us all along, but just go without until then? Seems reasonable to me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Sebek Kothoga

Sebek nods deferentially to Taifen. "Please, friend. Lead onward. Will they have steak? I am tired of dried fish." He follows along, keeping an eye on Endeca as they travel.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Anya Shadowbringer

As the group begins to move for The Travis, they hear a lady's voice from the boat, shouting "Hey, don't you dare to forget about me !!"; turning around, the group sees a short, young woman running towards them. She wears a dark cloak a little to big for her small body, consealing all of her cloth. Her golden ponytail waves in the air as she runs towards the group, catching up to them. Looking to the group with emerald-green eyes, she says to them "Oohh, I was really scared that you guys had forgotten about me back there ! Never do that again, please !"

Catching her breath, the pretty lady walks besides her companions, asking "So, where are we going ?"

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for my delay guys, I was checking this only once in a while, and didn't knew it had already started x.x'
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

11. - Top - End - #11

Seeing Anya arrive, Leo realizes he had totally forgot about her. How as he ever gonna get a girl for him like this?

Oh, sorry about that Anya...Guess we just walked too fast. I was itching to put my legs in firm ground.

Well, now, I could use a good hot meal. Let's go, Taifen says he knows a good place to eat.
    -finishes Leo, following Taifen.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Alloren Taifen

Alloren turns back, a rather embarrassed grin on his face.

"Er, right. First, sorry, Sebek, I guess that was kinda presumptuous, wasn't it? Yeah, they should have steak; this is a trade hub, after all.

Also, I should apologize too, Anya. Anyway, we're headed for the Travis. Like Leo said, it's an inn with a good eatery."

With an unburdened sigh, he starts moving again, this time walking backwards, so he can stay in the conversation, and point out various places that he's been. He's especially pleased to point out a bar that was absolutely trashed by one of the tougher bar fights he'd participated in. Happily, it looks like it's up and running again.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-06-20 at 12:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The Travis

After walking down a few streets which meet at the odd angles of a settlement entirely unplanned, you find yourself outside a small run down inn. Above the door hangs a sign depicting a man with webbed feet and hands, sporting a mischievous looking gold-painted grin. Below the figure are the elvish characters spelling out "The Travis."

Upon crossing the threshold you notice that the inside seems as decrepit as the outside. Battered tables sit encircled by chairs of every style and the bar, behind which a brown haired and ruddy skinned man with the slightly pointed ears of a half-elf stands, is so covered with stains and nicks that it is nearly impossible to determine what its original color was supposed to be.

Despite all that, the place is packed. Of the dozen or so tables scattered about the common room only two are unoccupied. Conversations buzz and merge into the steady static of all large, crowded rooms. It's obvious why the place is so popular, the smells emanating from the kitchen are the kind that can set even a full stomach to rumbling, regardless of decor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sucrose, I see that you edited out the bit about the place with the bar fight. I hope that wasn't on my account. That's just the sort of detail that's totally cool to downright awesome to leave in, even though I didn't list the place as somewhere you remembered.

Also, from the last time he was here, Taifen would remember that the man behind the bar is named Levett and is the manager of the place.
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2008-06-20 at 09:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Sebek Kothoga

Sebek grins as he looks at his companion. "Nice, Taifen. Nice," he chuckles. "I'll give you that it smells better than it looks, and the elven characters on the sign is a nice touch." He starts to head for the nearest empty table, but looks at those at the other tables near it and compares that to those near the other empty table.

AKA_Bait:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just trying to get a sense of whether we'll have issues with anyone from the neighboring tables. Particularly issues with Endeca.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Alloren Taifen

Taifen returns the smile.

"Hey, who cares about looks? This's the best food on the docks, and the atmosphere's even better than last time."

His impudent grin still on his face, he slips over to the bar, and waves to the half-elf.
    "Levett, old man, good to see you! Glad to see business is doin' well for you..."
    Seeing that Levett is quite busy, he adds a quick "Don't be a stranger, 'kay?", then moves back to the rest of the group.

"Let's get seated. Sooner we're sitting, sooner we're eating, and I'm getting hungry now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Understood, AKA_Bait. I'll edit his little tale back in. I'm glad to hear that we can make up a few details for characterization.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Levett, who was looking down and 'cleaning' a glass with a rag which can't possibly be doing much good, nods absently over his shoulder at Taifen before noticing Sebek heading for the empty table nearest the door.

"Hey there!" he calls, dropping the glass to the floor with a thunk (they use heave duty glasses at The Travis) and turning, "That table is reserved! There's one in the back corner that's free." He points toward the other unoccupied table adjacent to the left wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sebek, you didn't notice any of the patrons looking particularly troublesome. Pretty much all were engaged entirely with the meal or company in front of them. The degree for which varied from table to table. It is the usual Docktown crown of ruffians, but none of them seem to be looking for trouble in here. However, as you got close to the unoccupied table you were heading for, you did notice that it got just a little bit colder.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Alloren Taifen

Alloren nods, and moves toward the last remaining table. He then calls Levett,

"Say, who's made reservations? Never saw an empty table that I couldn't have before."
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-06-21 at 05:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Well, as long as the food is good I really don't care much about the presentation. Now what I hate is those bars wich are really shiny but then they serve you food wich wouldn't be fit for a dog.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-06-22 at 04:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Anya Shadowbringer

Smiling, Anya nods to Leo's words, saying "Oh, I agree, I agree. But if Taifen says this is a good place, then it must be."

Taking a seat on the table, Anya pays attention to the conversation between Taifen and the owner of the place, curious about the reserved table.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Levett gestures Taifen closer, upon his approach he leans in and says "You must not have noticed last time you were in here, that table's always reserved," dropping his voice to a whisper he continues, "that's Travis' table. He doesn't like it when other people sit there."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Alloren Taifen

Taifen grins a bit at Anya's compliment, then sidles up to the bar to listen to Levett. After the barkeep's correction, Taifen shrugs, and whispers back,

"Guess so; he must've already been here when I came last time. Why's he so touchy, anyway?"

Before Levett can respond, he shakes his head and says,
    "Never mind. My friends're starved, and I can ask later. May I have a few menus, and a bottle of strawberry wine? It should be right about in season."
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-06-24 at 10:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well," Levitt begins before Taifen's last comment, "Sure." From below the level of the bar he produces three menus and a bottle of strawberry wine.

"The wine will be a gold," Levitt adds passing them over.

All three menus are identical and somewhat spare, they read:

THE TRAVIS

Soup - 5 cp
    Stew- 1 sp

Meat: Beef or Lamb with vegetables -2 sp
    Poultry: Chicken or Goose with vegetables - 2 sp
    Special: Owlbear - 3 sp

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Alloren Taifen

Taifen pulls out the requisite coin, and trades it for the bottle. He then heads back over to his table, pours out four glasses of wine, and gives everyone a menu.

"Hope you all like this. So, what'll you be having to eat?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Meinrad

"Is that strawberry wine?" asks a vaguely-familiar rasping voice, in a slightly disapproving tone.

The man who asks sits but a foot away, hunched over a neighboring table on his stool, with a bottle of rum sitting before him. He wears a set of ragged clothes, worn and tearing from long days of travel. At his feet sits an overstuffed pack, a tiny glistening of metal poking through the hole at the top - it was a net of chain links, possibly a shirt or hauberk. At his belt is a curved sword, and at his far side stands a hafted blade, resting against the table itself.

He looks up at Taifen. "If you're going to drink that, shouldn't you be wearing a dress?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-06-25 at 01:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Sebek Kothoga

The elf quickly scans the menu. His eyes light up as he finishes reading. "I will have the owlbear, I think," Sebek says as he sets the menu down and takes a sip of wine. "Mm. That is tasty." He turns to Endeca and shows her the menu. "What would you like Hatch?" he asks her, trying to draw her attention from the many patrons back to the table with her companions. After a moment, he shrugs and sets the menu down in front of the young elf. "Well," Sebek says with a smile to the others, "at least she followed us here without any issues."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Alloren Taifen

Alloren shrugs, and takes a sip from his cup.
    "I would, but I recall that your figure works better for it."

His dispassionate demeanor breaks into a grin.
    "Good to see you again, Meinrad. It's been what, three years? How've you been getting by?"
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-06-25 at 01:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Meinrad Ambrosius

Meinrad's sour mood quickly vanishes, and he breaks into a smile as well. "Has it been that long?" He rubs the stuble of hair that grows on his neck. "Eh. Could be better. I've just been wasting away here, lately. No work. You?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-06-25 at 02:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Leo always fits a little uneasy around bars full of people, but does his best not to show it.

I'll try the owlbear then. Sebek has a good eye for good foods. Say, where do you get the meat? It's the passing adventurers that sell the meat to you?

He then takes a seat at the table, but just takes a litle sip of wine, not necessarily because it tastes bad, but because Leo isn't really used to alcohol.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Endeca stares blankly at the menu, her mouth open in what seems to be mild astonishment. Finally, her face settles into a pretty pout.

"They still don't have icegrip," the elf whines under her breath, but her frown is quickly replaced by a smile.

"I think I want chicken," she muses aloud, "but I'm not entirely sure. I'm thinking chicken, though..."

Finally she shrugs and says she'll have whatever Sebek is having before propping her elbows up on the table and resting her chin on her hands.

"I'm tired..."
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2008-06-25 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    AHHHH my eyes! My eyes! Please only color the text of spoken dialogue...

Also, I'll have a map of this room up just as soon as I can figure out how the hell to get the grid to transfer trom the GIMP file to a JPG or GIf.

After another few moments, a serving woman emerges from the door in the back wall and approaches the table. She is of middle years and looks it. Noticing Meinrad and Taifen's conversation she enquires as to if he would like to move over to their table and takes the order of everyone who had already decided before turning back to Taifen.

"And for you?"