New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Heroes of Fallcrest

The people of Fallcrest are celebrating the summer solstice and the streets of the town are crowded with cheerful people. Traders from all around the Nentir Vale are selling their goods, local nobles and religious leaders make speeches, and archery and knife throwing contests are held and mock battles are staged.

Later in the evening, the festivities continue in the Lowtown, where traveling performers display their skills: magic shows, juggling, sword dancing, music, comedy, fire eating...

---

OOC: Describe your character's actions during the day and evening. If you want, your character may also enter a contest or perform on the street to earn a few gold pieces. Make a relevant check to represent your character's success.
    Example: Your character enters an archery contest. Make a ranged attack roll to represent their success in the contest.
    Example: Your character entertains passers-by with tumbling and acrobatics. Make an Acrobatics check.

Fallcrest map (I'll provide some info on the locations later...)

Some info on Fallcrest:
    Spoiler
    Show

A small town built from the ruins of a larger city, Fallcrest is the crossroads of the Nentir Vale.

Population: 1,350; another 900 or so live in the countryside within a few miles of the town. The people of Fallcrest are mostly humans, halflings, and dwarves. No dragonborn or eladrin are permanent residents, but travelers of all races pass through on occasion.

Government: The human noble Faren Markelhay is the Lord Warden (hereditary lord) of the town. He is in charge of the town’s justice, defense, and laws. The Lord Warden appoints a town council to look after routine commerce and public projects.

Defense: The Fallcrest Guard numbers sixty warriors (see the accompanying statistics block), who also serve as constables. Moonstone Keep is their barracks. The Lord Warden can call up 350 militia at need.

Inns: Nentir Inn; Silver Unicorn. The Silver Unicorn is pricier and offers better service; the Nentir Inn sees a more interesting clientele.

Taverns: Blue Moon Alehouse; Lucky Gnome Taphouse; Nentir Inn taproom.

Supplies: Halfmoon Trading House; Sandercot Provisioners.

Temples: Temple of Erathis; Moonsong Temple (Sehanine); House of the Sun (Pelor).

Fallcrest’s Story

Up until four centuries or so ago, the Moon Hills and the surrounding Nentir Vale were thinly settled borderlands, home to quarrelsome human hill-chieftains and remote realms of nonhumans such as dwarves and elves. Giants, minotaurs, orcs, ogres, and goblins plagued the area. Ruins such as those on the Gray Downs or the ring-forts atop the Old Hills date back to these days, as do stories of the hero Vendar and the dragon of the Nentir.

With the rise of the empire of Nerath to the south, human settlers began to move up the Nentir, establishing towns such as Fastormel, Harkenwold, and Winterhaven. A Nerathan hero named Aranda Markelhay obtained a charter to build a keep at the portage of the Nentir Falls. She raised a simple tower at the site of Moonstone Keep three hundred ten years ago, and under its protection the town of Fallcrest began to grow.

Over the next two centuries, Fallcrest grew into a small and prosperous city. It was a natural crossroads for trade, and the Markelhays ruled it well. When the empire of Nerath began to crumble about a century ago, Fallcrest continued to flourish—for a time.

Ninety years ago, a fierce horde of orcs known as the Bloodspears descended from the Stonemarch and swept over the vale. Fallcrest’s army was defeated in a rash attempt to halt the Bloodspears out on Gardbury Downs. The Bloodspears burned and pillaged Fallcrest and went on to wreak havoc all across the Nentir Vale.

In the decades since the Bloodspear War, Fallcrest has struggled to reestablish itself. The town is a shadow of the former city; little trade passes up and down the river these days. The countryside for scores of miles around is dotted with abandoned homesteads and manors from the days of Nerath. Once again the Nentir Vale is a thinly settled borderland where few folk live. This is a place in need of a few heroes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of Fallcrest

Yuri

Yuri's troupe rolls into town amid a cheering and clapping crowd. Delighted to have a crowd to entertain, Yuri spends the day on the streets, doing card tricks and other "magic" for gold. Afterwards he spends his time in the markets, scrounging for material components.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thievery roll for busking (1d20+6)[9]

OOC: Yuri's dialog is DarkOrchid.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-06-19 at 08:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Lan

Lan wakes from his room at the Nentir Inn. He has been staying there for some time now. Though a quiet, slender elf, he tells stories of his travels, of his desert home, and of his battles to any who ask. He hopes to share that knowledge....and perhaps earn enough to pay for room and food from time to time.

As expected by the townsfolk who know him, Lan enters the archery contest with his powerful longbow.

After the contest, he spends some time in solitude, walking outside of the town. Though not specifically looking for threats to the town, he keeps a watchful eye, not wanting harm to come to his temporary adopted home.

He returns for the evenings festivities, Longbow always strung to his back, always within reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ranged att (1d20+7)[18]
    ooc: are we rolling in spoilers?
    Lan's dialog will be Green

4. - Top - End - #4

Yuri

Having failed at his days work of busking (made worse when a hidden deck of cards fell from his sleeve), Yuri decides to put on magic show in the evening, the dusk backdrop highlighting his fireworks display.

As the night draws on, he goes to find his troupe, but instead decides to spend a few hours at the closest tavern, preferring to get away from his chores for a while longer. A member of his troope mentioned the Nentir Inn, so he makes his way there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Show (arcana) (1d20+12)[27]
    OOC: I assume we roll in spoilers since there's no dice thread and spoilers make the posts neater. And sorry for the extra tries for gold, Yuri's troupe would be mad if he has to borrow more money of them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yuri only manages to get amused looks with his card tricks but no gold. However, his flashier magic tricks in the evening seem to fascinate and entertain the townspeople to no end. He earns 7 gp.

A young boy approaches him after the show, saying "Wow! I've never seen anything like that before.. only dull card tricks and such.. how did you..." but a man wearing fancy clothes, apparently the boy's father interrupts him "Come on already, don't bother the magicians! It's late, we shall be off to home now."

Lan's archery skills seem to impress the spectators. An elderly sergeant watching the contest nods approvingly and says: "Damn fine shots, lad. An elf like you should consider joining the town guard, if ya think you got what it takes."

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Yes, let's roll in spoilers.

I'll wait for the other three players to post before I announce the winner of the archery contest.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Lan

As the other competitors take their shots, Lan leans casually on his longbow talking to the sergeant.

"You honour me Sergeant. While I want nothing more than the peace and security Fallcrest enjoys now to remain, I fear I would not be a suitable addition to the Guard. I am here now, but for how long, I cannot say. I will return home one day, but there is much of the world I wish to see yet. That said, if any creature thinks Fallcrest would make good prey, you can trust that my bow will fell more than one before it is over!
    Last edited by greenstave; 2008-06-19 at 02:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Pandora

Pandora sifted through the few outfits she'd brought with her, trying a few on in front of the mirror before putting them back in the armoire. Finally, finding a suitable summer dress, and braiding a few daisies into her golden hair, she eagerly headed off to the faire.

Most of her day was spent wandering from booth to booth, playing games and cheering on others as they tossed rings over bottles, tossed tomatoes at jesters with their heads through wooden walls, and tossed back tall mugs of ale.

Though she managed to keep her dress clean for most of the day, the greased pig contest looked like too much fun to pass up. Stepping in a line (filled mostly with farm boys), she waited her turn to chase after the squealing, grease-covered oinker in the hopes of wrestling it to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Athleticism check: (1d20+8)[28]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

[Apologies if this is a duplicate post -- my original post doesn't seem to have "stuck".]

Jake

As the Solstice festival surges through the streets of Fallcrest, Jake finds himself utterly in his element. Moving from tavern to tavern, he joins games of cards and of dice, cheating only when it's clear that the game is already rigged. Throughout the process, he keeps his eye open for the young noble or merchant's scion with the right combination of greed and gullibility to serve as the mark of a truly memorable con.

As night approaches, the innumerable contests in the street begin to narrow down to a few more serious ones. Jake loses a few coins in a complicated wager involving a busking magician, then wins them back betting on an unknown elven archer to defeat the local champions.

Finally. he finds himself sizing up the competitors in a greased-pig competition. After a long pause to assess the talent, he announces his odds and begins taking bets from his fellow onlookers...

Spoiler
    Show

I don't know how to work the GiantITP dice roller. Storyteller, would you mind making a few rolls for me by hand?

1d20 + 9 Thievery, for the games where he tried to outcheat his opponents.

1d20 + 8 Bluff, for the games where he tried to outbluff them fair and square.

1d20 + 5 Insight, to decide who to back in the pig-catching competition.

And by the way, I'd be grateful for a crash course in how to work the roller.
    Last edited by disorder; 2008-06-20 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typos

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Bathar

The Dragonborn arrived the town just at the right moment. He was received with dances and festivals. He decided to rest after the journey and rest by tiring himself in the party.

Bathar goes around from stand to stand, watching what many things the town has to offer and when he wanted to buy something, he finds out he's running low on cash. So, the Dragonborn enters a contest he can win.

"Wrestling Match." He says grinning when he spots the announcement.

He tries to put fear into his opponents first by displaying his strength, giving a strong roar and spitting acid to the ground before each match. I wanted to make sure he was dangerous. After this act, he would give it all in the match...

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for that, busy day.

So, wrestling match.... That will make it an Intimidation check and a Strength check, right?

Intimidate - (1d20+10)[24]

Strength - (1d20+4)[15]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

When Pandora steps in the line, the other contestants give her amused looks. The old farmer who owns the pigs shakes his head and says: "Now there lass, ye sure ye want to get yer pretty summer dress dirty? Ahh, I don't want to sound mean, but ye see, better let the lads catch the oinkers." But Pandora insists to enter the contest and the old farmer just sighs and shrugs. "Ah well then, yer turn lass."

More than a few jaws drop when Pandora catches the pig in less than 5 seconds and carries it back to the owner with relative ease. After the contest is over, the old farmer congratulates Pandora. "Well, it looks like... ye see... ye're the new champion! I don't know what yer secret is... but here's yer prize, lass!" He hands over a pig statuette. "The statuette's hollow ye see, I'll show ye how to open it. Have a look inside."

Spoiler
    Show

Inside the statuette Pandora finds 5 gp.

Jake tries his luck at Three Dragon Ante. The cards do not favor him this time, but he manages to pull elaborate bluffs and win even when his hand is worse. In the greased pig contest Jake picks the wrong guy - it turns out that the winner is the only female contestant, not one of the local boys. All in all, Jake earns 4 gp that day.

The sergeant pats Lan on the back. "Looks like you're winning, elf. Only one more to go." The last contestant, a stranger from Winterhaven surprises everyone by firing five flawless shots, hardly even stopping to aim between the shots. "Huh, didn't see that coming" says the sergeant to the equally perplexed elf.

Bathar wrestles against three human wrestlers. He beats the first two wrestles easily, but the third one, a bald man nearly as tall as Bathar, manages to pin him after 4 minutes. Bathar earns 3 gp.

It's almost midnight but the festivities still continue in Lowtown. Many people have gathered to the Market Green (26 on the map) and it looks like a man is about to make a speech. He's climbed onto a stage that the performers used earlier this evening. The player characters are also near the Market Green.

"Dear friends, people of Fallcrest and travellers alike, it is time for yet another spectacle. Please, gather around the stage so everyone can see."
    Last edited by storyteller; 2008-06-22 at 01:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Jake

(After the pig contest)

Jake's jaw dropped in disbelief at the stranger's record-breaking feat of pig-wrangling. It was worth losing the bet, he decided, just to see that performance...and to see the comically stunned expressions on the other onlookers' faces. Then he realized that he must look just as stupid as the rest of them, and quickly closed his mouth and collected his wits.

"She doesn't look like she's ever handled a pig in her life," he thought as the smiling young woman accepted her prize. Then it hit him: of course she hadn't shown up looking like she could win. She was running a con.

His professional interest piqued, Jake scanned the crowd with an analytical eye. Who else was in on it? The farmer who had prepared the pigs, and had made a show of trying to talk the girl out of entering? Maybe...but in the wake of her performance, half the other contestants had already been poking and grabbing at the pig in question, and it seemed as spirited and elusive as any of the other animals.

The gnarled old man who'd been taking bets was certainly one of her partners; that much was given. As far as Jake could remember, no one had bet on the harmless-looking blonde; the bookie must be walking away with ten times the actual contest prize. At least the cleaning bill for that dress won't be a problem, Jake reflected with a grin.

The true sign of artistry, though, was that none of the marks who had lost money here were walking away angry. In fact, they were all hailing the girl as a minor hero. And an artist of that caliber must have more schemes running...it would be an interesting challenge to find out what they were.

As the crowd slowly dispersed, Jake approached the winner, who still managed to look sunny and composed despite her greasy dress and the garish ceramic pig in her hands. "Hey," he said, with a shy grin. "I, uh, had to tell you, that was...well, I don't quite know the word for it. Astounding, would be a start."

"I knew you would win," he lied, "but I'll be damned if I expected you to make it look that easy." Since she was in cahoots with the old bookie, she would know Jake had actually bet against her...but that would just help hide the fact that he was onto their game. "Can I buy you a drink?"

(Later, in the market green)

Another spectacle? Jake raises an eyebrow. With some of the things that had already gone on today, the man would have a tough act to follow...but might as well let him try. Along with the rest of the crowd, Jake drifts toward the stage to see what's going to happen next.

12. - Top - End - #12

Yuri

Stumbling from the inn, Yuri makes his way back to his troupe. He falls in line with a couple of the local farmers boys, complaining about the fact some girl had beaten them at pig chasing. I would have loved to see that, he thought, lost in an idle fantasy.

Not usually one to miss a crowd, Yuri is stunned as he walks straight into one, more specifically a large member of one. Falling back, Yuri utters a few choice curses in draconic before realising the man he'd bumped into was a dragonborn. Picking himself up, he bows courtly and offers his apologies.

<draconic>"Sorry if I have offended, I didn't see you there."</draconic>

He switches to common in the odd chance the dragonborn doesn't speak draconic.

"Whats going on?"

Spoiler
    Show
    @Disorder- rolls are made using the [roll]XdY+Z[/roll]function

Edit: forgot to buy drinks, spends 1gp
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-06-24 at 03:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Jake -- fixing character errors
    I was just looking over Jake's character sheet, and I noticed that I botched the point buy; he has 23 points worth of abilities instead of 22. I think I forgot that the jump from 13 to 14 now costs an extra point.

I'm going to lower his constitution to fix the error, and raise wisdom instead. (Probably fits his personality better anyway; despite his complete misreading of the Pandora situation, he's usually a perceptive guy.)

I'll make all the relevant changes on his sheet, but I wanted you to know, Storyteller, in case you had already copied character stats to your own files.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks for the instructions on the die roller, Jokes. Trying it out here, just to make sure I understand how it works:
    [roll0]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Lan

"Perhaps that fellow is the man you want in the guard." Lan says to the old sergeant. He walks up to the winner of the Archery competition and offers his hand.

Congratulations. Very fine shooting indeed. You must practice a great deal. I would be very interested in knowing your techniques, as I am always looking to increase my own skills, and I'm not ashamed to admit defeat

Later in the evening

Lan returns to town to watch the evening festivities. He hears rumours of a woman defeating all the men in the pig catching competition. While they all seem astounded, Lan recalls the Elven females of his own tribe in the desert, and is not at all surprised.

Lan stands off to the side of the stage, a good bit back. His keen Elven sight affords him a view from afar the humans cannot, and he is curtious to allow them to get close. He leans on his bow casually, and awaits the spectacle he's been promised.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Pandora

[QUOTE=disorder;4482333]As the crowd slowly dispersed, Jake approached the winner, who still managed to look sunny and composed despite her greasy dress and the garish ceramic pig in her hands. "Hey," he said, with a shy grin. "I, uh, had to tell you, that was...well, I don't quite know the word for it. Astounding, would be a start."

"I knew you would win," he lied, "but I'll be damned if I expected you to make it look that easy." Since she was in cahoots with the old bookie, she would know Jake had actually bet against her...but that would just help hide the fact that he was onto their game. "Can I buy you a drink?"[QUOTE]

Coming closer Jake can make out that the woman is of partially elven ancestry, her ears slightly longer and her facial features just slightly more finely cut than pure humans. She's talking and laughing with the locals when Jake approaches.

"No, you cannot buy me a drink!" she shoots back at Jake... "Not when I can buy you one." She punctuates this statement by holding the oversized white and pink glazed ceramic piggy bank above her head and shaking it noisily, the coins clanging around inside.

"DRINKS ON ME!" she yells out to the nearby crowd. "I'M BUYING TILL THIS LITTLE PIGGY RUNS DRY!"

If Jake joins her at the ale tent she'll continue the conversation there. Otherwise most of the afternoon will be spent boozing it up and sharing drinking songs (she doesn't actually drink that much herself and mostly just enjoys the comraderie).

-5 gp... spending all her winnings on summer ale.

Later in the evening, with the crowds dwindling, she makes her way to the stage, still carrying the empty piggy bank with her. Finding a comfortable spot to settle in, she waits for the last event and hopes to find it exciting enough to ward off midnight's growing drowsiness lest she pass out unceremoniously on the faire lawn.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Thanks. Can't turn down an offer like that," Jake says agreeably, and falls into step beside Pandora as she and a dozen others head toward the ale tent. "Name's Jake, by the way. It's an honor to be drinking with a champion."

As the evening passes and the drinks flow, Jake continues to make light conversation with the enigmatic pig catcher, but he finds himself no closer to deducing what new scheme she's hatching. He's more convinced than ever, though, that she must be a master con artist. Spending her winnings on drinks was a smart move, if she wants to quickly build a name for herself. Not only were the jovial crowd members constantly retelling the Saga of the Greased Pigs to new arrivals, but everyone would remember that she kept no winnings for herself...unaware, of course, of her share of the bookie's take. Whatever her next game was, her quickly spreading reputation as a skilled and generous heroine of the festival must be a key first step.

As the contents of the pig statue run low, other members of Pandora's boisterous contingent begin helping to pay. Jake stands a couple of rounds for the crowd, spending most of his winnings from the day's card game. He doesn't mind at all; it's well worth the expense to have a chance to crack this puzzle...and besides, he's having a great time.

((Jake spends 3 gp on drinks, and continues to watch carefully for clues to Pandora's non-existent con game. At this rate, he's going to think the entire adventure is some elaborate ruse that she and the bookie designed.))

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the archery range

Spoiler
    Show

"I am Will Arnton of the Winterhaven Rangers. I've earned my skills by shooting goblins and wild beasts in the environs of Winterhaven. As a matter of fact, this is my first time here at the summer solstice festival of Fallcrest. But I didn't come to celebrate; I have more important matters to address. Suffice to say, there's something brewing in Nentir Vale... the monsters have been restless in the past few months."

Will's expression is grim and he wipes sweat off his brow. "I have been here for a week and lord Markelhay hasn't granted me an audience yet. I only hope nothing bad will happen in Winterhaven while I am idling here..." Will looks at Lan again "Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you worried by telling you all of this..." Will looks sadly at the golden arrow and pouch of silver coins he won from the contest "...but that is the reason I'm here, not the contest."

Later in the evening

The man continues his speech: "Hailing from lands beyond the Nentir Vale, the magnificent, LOUD, dazzling... bloody hell! Look out!"

You look behind and see a carriage drawn by two horses moving fast towards the stage and crowd from the south. The driver appears to be dead or unconscious, and the horses are panicked and likely to crash straight into the crowd.

You have two rounds to act before the carriage crashes into the crowd. The characters may want to organize the crowd so that they can get out of the way in time, stop the horses somehow, or do whatever seems appropriate. Use your skills, class features or powers - whatever works. If your character is not feeling particularly heroic today, he/she may just want to get out of the way (Acrobatics or Athletics DC 15 to push through the crowd and out of the way).

The carriage is currently 20 squares (100 feet) from the edge of the crowd and it moves 12 squares (60 feet) per round.

Roll initiative! The carriage moves on initiative count 5 (modifier +1). If you beat its initiative, you may act immediately, regardless of whether you beat the initiative rolls of other players (just to speed up things).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Here's the OOC thread for Heroes of Fallcrest.

19. - Top - End - #19

Initiative=(1d20+1)[9]

Yuri

Yuri considers attacking the horses with a magic missle, but dismisses the idea as it comes to him. Not having much else to do, he starts directing people away from the clearing. He readies Ghost Sound (very loud yell "Halt") to use when the horses are at 10 squares away, to try and spook them to stop.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-06-24 at 09:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Archery range
    Spoiler
    Show

"I am Lan. That is troubling news you bring with you. I briefly traveled through the vale. At the time, if memory serves me, there was calm...although I do recall some excitement with a pack of wolves. I had to hide my scent in mud and spend a day in a crevass before they gave up the hunt!!

Why has the Lord denied your request? Has your request reached his ears? While I have not met him during my short stay in Fallcrest, I have heard him to be a good man. Have their been attacks against the townsfolk yet? When the wilds are not in balance, great calamaties can occur.

Perhaps our sargeant friend in the guard can assist you in gaining access to the Lord? I hear all new recruits are greeted by the Lord when they swear their oaths to Fallcrest.

Lan sees the cart heading for the audiance and runs through his options in his mind. His first though is to use his bow to stop them in their tracks, but he cannot to such majestic, frightened creatures. He decides if he can get into the cart and grab control of the reigns, he can maneauver the creatures away. He runs towards them at full speed, and as soon as he's close enough, he will attempt to get onto the cart and control the horses.

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative: (1d20+5)[21]
    acrobatics to get on the cart and gain control: (1d20+10)[13]

This is gonna hurt when he makes that jump and misses!!
    Last edited by greenstave; 2008-06-25 at 06:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Initiative roll: (1d20+1)[19]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Pandora rushes towards the carriage, calling out to the civilians as she moves. "Everyone to my left, run left. Everyone to my right, run right. Get out of the way of that carriage!"

Minor Action: None
    Move Action: Move 6 squares closer to the carriage
    Standard Action: Diplomacy check to try to help the crowd calm down enough to escape in a more orderly fashion.

Diplomacy Check result: (1d20+10)[18]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As the barker launches his pitch, Jake leans back in the grass, reflecting on the night's events. The starry sky wheels slowly across his field of vision, reminding him that he's had one more round of ale than was strictly wise.

"Bloody hell! Look out!"

The barker's shout startles Jake from his reverie. His first thought is instant: this must be the start of Pandora's next con. She is already on her feet, shouting commands and running toward..."Damn!" Jake leaps to his feet as well, adrenaline burning the haze from his brain as he sprints to intercept the careening cart. If this was part of Pandora's plan, or of anyone's, then something must have gone dangerously wrong...

Actions:
    Jake will sprint toward the cart and, like Lan, will try to jump aboard and grab the reins. Looks like we might barely be able to do that in one round...eight-square run action (including the +2 speed for running), plus the cart's 12-square move to close the 20-square distance...then use the remaining standard action to jump aboard.

If it is possible to do it this round, here's an acrobatics roll:

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    (d20+8)[11]
    Acrobatics:
    (d20+9)[11]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lan & Will

Spoiler
    Show

"When they told me the third time that their Lord "has serious matters to attend to and cannot receive visitors for the time being" I thought about scaling the walls of the keep and finding out what's so important" will says with a laugh, "but when dealing with nobles, one has got to follow the etiquette" he says in a sarcastic tone. "I get the feeling that Winterhaven is just too insignificant for them and because I'm not nobility, whatever I might say is not important. I hope I'm wrong."

"People of Winterhaven are used to goblin and kobold raids and we can hold our own. It's just that the attacks have become more organized in the past few months and it has been increasingly difficult to repel them. Inside the walls of Winterhaven it's safe, but the King's Road is no longer safe to travel near Winterhaven. It is also alarming that they have started kidnapping people."

Round 1

Both Lan and Jake ran towards the horses and tried to get aboard the carriage and grab the reins. But neither managed to jump into the driver's perch; they're now holding onto the side rail of the carriage, Lan on the left side and Jake on the right. It takes a move action and a DC 15 Athletics check to climb into the driver's bench and a standard action and a Nature check (DC unknown) to control the horses (handle animal). Logically, both of you may try to climb up but only one of you can try to control the horses.

Lan and Jake notice small arrows jutting from the sides of the carriage, the driver's body and the hind quarters of one of the horses.

Pandora also ran towards the carriage, calling out to the people to get out of the way in a more orderly fashion. Thanks to her efforts, most of the people manage to get out of the way in time, but there's still a small number of people near the stage who might get hurt. And to make things worse, the horses are racing headlong toward the stage...

Suddenly, a very loud "HALT!" rings out in front of the horses. The poor animals are already scared witless and unfortunately, the loud sound only makes them even more frightened, if possible.

Round 2 begins! Act in free order!

OOC: Corinthian hasn't been posting in a while... I'll find out whether he's still interested.

25. - Top - End - #25

Yuri

Rats, Yuri thought, we'd trained our horses to obey that... I hope those two can stop them better than I can. not feeling like watching the people on stage being trampled, he runs towards them, yelling at them to get off the stage.

As a last ditch effort, he readies a thunderwave in case the horses haven't been stopped.

Spoiler
    Show

Man, I wish I'd prepared sleep today. I'm not really sure where the stage is in relation to the edge of the crowd, but Yuri uses his move to run to it. If the horses come within 3 squares of Yuri (and they are not under control), he unleashes a thunderwave, hoping that pushing them back will either stop them, turn them or give an extra round for the two brave souls to gain control.

Dilomacy=(d20)[2]

Thunderwave attack:
    horse 1 (d20+4)[13]
    horse 2 [roll]d20+4] (if one hits and one misses, I'm hoping it will cause one to be pushed back, turning the horses away from the stage. Yeah, I know I'm grasping at straws here...)
    Damage (1d6+4)[10]

edit: I can't remember if you can add dice rolls after posting, so I'll fix the horse 2 roll in the OOC thread. (rolled a 7)
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-06-26 at 06:57 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Pandora

Pandora leaps to the side as the carriage thunders by, screaming at the driver to wake up in the hopes that he still has some life left in him.

"Wake up!! You can pull through this!! We need you to help get your horses under control!!

Move action: Move up to 6 squares to get alongside the wagon as it passes.
    Minor action: Use "Inspiring Word" Warlord encounter power on the carriage driver (hopefully he's unconcious and not dead). Allows the target to spend a healing surge and gain 1d6 HP in addition to the healing granted by their healing surge. 5 square range (she should be within that now).

Seeing more people still in the path of the carriage, frozen in fear, she calls out to them.

"There's still time everyone, please get out of the way! You still have time to move!"

Standard Action: Diplomacy check: (1d20+10)[11]

((yeah, that'd be a failure on the diplomacy check, haha))
    Last edited by Gypsy0001; 2008-06-26 at 07:06 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Lan

Archery

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Nature (creature) check on kobolds and goblins. Have they been known to work together, or perform kidnappings?
    Kobold: (1d20+10)[20]
    Goblin: (1d20+10)[11]

"That is troubling news indeed Will. I have not heard of any urgent news in Fallcrest that might prevent the Lord from speaking with you. Something doesn't seem right about that. How much longer can you afford to wait in town before you must return? Perhaps there is some way to get your message across. I am certainly willing to help.

Lan sees the other man attempt the same feat he did, and end with the same result! "They came under attack!! I will attempt to get into the drivers seat and control the horses. If I fail, can you reach the reign of the horse running along on your side of the cart, and give it a good pull? That should at least turn the horses away from the stage."

Spoiler
    Show

Move action: Athletics: (1d20)[6]
    Std action: Nature (handle animal): (1d20+10)[21]

Some games, you roll the dice, some games, the dice roll you!
    Last edited by greenstave; 2008-06-26 at 07:39 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Right," Jake calls back. The thunder of hoofbeats and rattling carriage hardware kept him from catching all the stranger's words, but he thinks he's understood the gist of the plan. He also detected an elven accent, and he fervently hopes that elves are as skilled with animals as their reputation holds.

With a jarring bang and a sideways lurch, the cart crashes across some deep rut or sinkhole in the earth. Jake scrabbles to keep his grip, legs scrabbling wildly over empty space. His foot touches the whirring spokes of the nearest wheel, and hobnails scream in brief protest as the heel of his boot rips away.

Trying not to think about what would have happened had his foot moved an inch further into the spokes, Jake shifts his grip on the railing, and makes another desperate try to heave himself onto the cart.

Actions:
    Jake will take his move action to try another acrobatics check, in hopes of getting onto the cart.

If he and Lan both get aboard, he'll let the elf handle the horses, while he does his best to disentangle the reins or otherwise lend a hand. (Using his nature check in "Aid Another" mode; if he scores a 10 or better, he can give a +2 bonus to Lan's check.)

If Jake makes it aboard but Lan does not, he'll try to control the horses himself.

If neither of them get onto the cart,l Jake will use an action point to gain another move action, and try again. (Unless the first roll was so bad that he fell off the cart altogether.) Only if this still fails will he make a last-ditch try to reach the reins, or anything else attached to a horse, from the side of the cart where he's hanging.

Throughout this plan, if Jake fails any roll but is still in a position to try it again if he had an extra move or standard action, he'll spend an action point and try again.

If everything fails and a wreck is inevitable, Jake will try to jump clear of the cart at the last instant, while yelling for Lan to do the same. (If he needs an action point for this extra move, and if he still has one available, he'll use it here.)

Now, the rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics Check:
    [roll0]

Nature Check (either to aid Lan, or to try control the horses himself if necessary):
    [roll1]

Another d20 roll, if he uses an action point to try something again:
    [roll2]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

All right, something went wrong with those rolls. Let's try this again:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics roll:
    (1d20+9)[20]

Nature roll (to aid Lan, or if necessary, to try to control the horses himself):
    (1d20+1)[18]

Extra d20 roll, if needed because he spends an action point to gain another try at something:
    (1d20)[20]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yuri prepares to cast a spell that hopefully will stop or even slow down the horses if everything else fails.

Lan starts climbing from an awkward position, hanging onto the side rail with both hands and trying to find footholds. Just as he is reaching for the driver's seat, he hears the enigmatic pig catcher champion calling out to the driver. The driver's eyes pop open and he instinctively recoils and pushes Lan's hand away when he sees it reaching for the seat. Lan falls and the rear wheel of the carriage hits his elbow ((2d10)[16] damage).

Jake manages to grab the reigns and alert the driver of the impending danger. The two work together to steer the horses away from the stage and make the horses stop running.

As soon as the townspeople notice they're no longer in danger, they start gathering again to the market green. One of them notices Jake next to the driver "Look it's Jake! He bought us drinks when we were celebrating the pig catcher lass! He saved our lives! Jake! Jake! Jake! Jake!..."

Soon dozens of people join the chant. The town of Fallcrest has a new hero.

The driver's in pretty bad shape. He seems to be in severe pain and is barely able to speak. He thanks Jake in a weak voice.

One of the doors of the carriage opens slightly. "Is- is it safe to now? Angus! Angus? Are you all right?"

Spoiler
    Show

Jake had to use an action point because I asked for an Athletics check and your roll would not have been enough, but the second roll you got from the extra action was good enough to climb into the driver's seat.
    Last edited by storyteller; 2008-06-28 at 02:45 AM.