New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 47 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Lucky Penny - IC thread

The crew of the Lucky Penny has been on We Made It for a few days completing the sale of their cargo and deciding what to invest in next. Everyone has received their wages, money has been set aside for more cargo, and there is still a sizeable profit to use for badly needed repairs for the ship.

The society of We Made It is largely underground, due to surface winds that during part of the year would flay the flesh off your bones. It happens that the winds are not quite murderous yet, and Lexi is trying to find someone who will take her hang-gliding. She has so far been unsuccessful. However, she has managed to hook up with a pair of Crashlander men. They are both albinos, and as tall as she is. She's been draped over one or the other of them for the last day or so. Last night, the three of them were doing shots with their toes. Yes, they are all that limber.

For now, the group (minus Lucius and Bianca, who aren't part of the crew yet) is at the spaceport in Crashlanding City making plans for how to spend the profits.

"I've got a good lead on a new gravity generator," Lexi says. "It would allow us to take even higher acceleration while maintaining 0.25g in the living quarters. More importantly, I've also heard there is someone here who can tweak our autodoc so it will work on Mark without ejecting his implants."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What Lexi is suggesting will use up most of the money. The fusion drive and the hyperdrive could both use a good overhaul, and there's very little of the ship that wouldn't benefit from some repairs, either minor or major. Except the gravity generator and the autokitchen, which were both late model used items when she purchased them. The autodoc repair is something that the crew has been trying to get done for some time, but haven't found someone with the expertise until now.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-06-24 at 09:35 AM.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Lucky Penny - IC thread

Dan Freeboot - the man with no real name, was gleefully without his overcoat and fedora on this planet. It just wasn't as cold here, thank God for climate control.
    He was, of course, the lat of the crew to return to the spaceport, and the one with the heaviest pocketbook remaining. It wasn't hard to guess why, the man barely spent one of his own dimes in any endeavour if he could help it.
    He almost got caught once stealing a key to a High-End hotel room on Home before he wised up and just stole the money to pay for the room, instead.
    IT was bound to get him and Lucky Penny's crew in trouble one day, but his dips rarely went south.
    As was his nature, he thought about the cost of what Lexi was proposing, and instantaneously let out a, rather clearly audible, scoff.
    "The autodoc is a good idea, if your lead is reliable, but God, Lex, one-quarter of a perfect Terran G? Why would you want such a thing? How am I supposed to keep my tools strapped down? Or stay in my rack, even?"
    The crew knew better than to point out that a quarter G was not, in fact, zero G, and securing equipment for space wasn't exactly a difficult task. Dan just wouldn't hear it.
    Besides, he was probably getting to a point.
    Probably.
    "I understand you don't like G-forces, but before we make you comfortabe, the ship has to work. Specifically, - and back me up here, Keruac, my poor drives. They need major, solid work done before Penny goes anywhere. Shutter Bug and I are good (actually, "Shutter Bug" is downright amazing), but we ain't miracle workers."
    Dan crossed the spaceport, and imposed imself between the Captain and her ship.
    "And thoses no way I'm..."
    he glanced at the albinos on Lexi's arm...
    "Er... I mean, that exhausts all our legal options, and since we're all good, upstanding, law-abiding citizens, we wouldn't bleed the good people of this City of their time or services without legal compensation."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Realizing that the crew can't talk freely in front of strangers, Lexi sends her boy toys away with a kiss and a pat on the bum each and promises to meet them later.

Once they're out of sight: "So what's wrong with the drives? They've gotten us this far, haven't they?"
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-06-24 at 09:35 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Baby, they're getting old," Kerouac sighs, and sticks a cigarette in his mouth. "A ship is like ... " He pauses, both to flip open his lighter and to search for an analogy that Lexi will understand. "A ship is like a woman. You have to spend money on her, pay attention to her, or else she won't put out. Or she will, but less frequently, and it won't be as good. And she'll fight with you, make trouble. This little lady, well, you haven't even remembered her birthday, and the proverbial storm clouds are beginning to gather on the horizon."

He gives the ship an uncomfortably sentimental glance. He is mildly, but comfortably, sloshed. He woke up that morning in a light state of hangoverishness, and had taken a little more hair of the dog than was truly necessary. He's been wearing that T-shirt for three days now (one of his favorites - the colorful design reminds him of a Warhol print, although it's not likely the designer knew who he was) and he hasn't shaved in a week.

At least he's still got all his wits about him. Unlike some people Kerouac could name. She's not serious about that gravity generator thing, right?
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

"That's ridiculous. Why would I care if a man remembered my birthday? I wouldn't remember it myself if my parents didn't send me a hyperwave every year begging me to come home." She held forth at some length about how Kerouac didn't know bugger all about women, before she realized that she'd been diverted from the main topic--which was convincing the crew (and herself) that there was nothing wrong with the drives.

It didn't occur to her that as the owner of the ship she could have just done what she liked. Despite her self-adopted title of 'Captain', there was nothing the slightest bit military in her bearing. Besides, deep down she knew they were right.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"Its a metaphor, darling" Dan intones, with no limit to the depth of contempt and sarcasam included in that sentance, free-of-charge.
    He paused a full half-second for everytrhing to sink in - and to allow his temper to cool down.
    "Besides, lets think about it logcially - we have a good quality Grav Generator, already. We don't have top-shape engines. One would be inclined to believe juicing our drives would allow for faster acceleration - and probably for cheaper than the toy you're drooling over."
    Dan visibly relaxed, and began leaning against a convienant vertical surface (he didn't bother looking back to see what it was).
    "And if I ever forgot a woman's birthday, they'd beat me up around the skull with a brick. You ain't exactly a garden variety female, Lex."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

As usual when they were in port Lexi's second in command was sitting back with a beer in his hand. He looked unphazed by the discsion, seemingly just happy that he could once again clear his throat with some decent liquid.

"Look, it seems clear that without Mark this ship won't stay in the air much longer. So an improved autodoc would be apreciated. But in all honesty I don't see the point in maintaining such impressive G-forces if our drives will fall apart if we push them to those limits.

Still I'd be happy to come along and see if I can fix us a better deal on both."

He speaks with some authority in his voice, yet his body posture is relaxed, making it seem like friendly peer advice. Nothing seemed to truly upset Nathan much, despite his uncought apearance he had somewhat of a professional athmosphere around him. He usually seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

"Alexandria Temple, I suggest you listen to the advice of your wiser colleagues." The voice that says these words is a sexy, alluring contralto which is intensely attractive to every straight male character.

"My name is Lexi, not--" Lexi starts to snap, and falls silent when she gets a good look at the creature who has just spoken. It is not human, or even humanoid. It moves towards you in almost a dancing motion on three hooves. It's hide is creamy white and looks as if it would be soft to the touch. It has an auburn mane elaborately curled and styled which covers a frontal hump and extends down its back. Its two heads emerge from either side of the frontal hump, looking like two one eyed snakes.

Not many humans have ever met a Pierson's Puppeteer, and for once, Lexi is speechless.

"My name is " and the creature made a musical noise with its two throats that would have been impossible for any human to even attempt to emulate. "You may call me Ambir. I have been advised that you need some rather unusual modifications on your ship's autodoc." The two heads are looking in different directions, so that Ambir can survey everyone at its ease. "Have I been rightly informed?"

Spoiler
    Show
    A picture of a Pierson's Puppeteer is here.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-06-25 at 06:31 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

9. - Top - End - #9

Though looking at the creature with a feeling of awe mixed with sprinkle of suspicion Nathan does not show outward signs of this and quickly purges his mind of these thoughts.

"We have made some inquiries in that direction Ambir, so your information would be correct. However we don't have the deepest of pockets, so it depends on what price you are asking or what additional services you might offer."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"It is too soon to talk of Stars. Allow me to examine the device, as well as your pilot. I will then know if what you wish is even possible." One head addressed Kerouac and Dan. "I will not step foot upon that deathtrap while it retains the capability of lifting off. Could one of you gentlemen assuage my fears by removing some parts from your alleged ship?" She (if it is a she--none of you have any way of knowing) names two parts, the removal of which will temporarily disable the chemical thrusters and the fusion drive. Disabling the chemical thrusters should have been enough. Turning on the fusion drive before reaching orbit would be the equivalent of setting off a nuke in Crashlanding spaceport and would have earned the crew the death penalty. Ambir is clearly taking no chances.

While Ambir is speaking, Lexi steps closer to Nathan and speaks in a low voice. "Listen, I only put out the word that I'm looking for a skilled Medengineer. I know I was drunk last night, but I'm sure I never said anything about Mark. What else does this thing know?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stars are the interplanetary currency of Known Space.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #11

Nathan raises his shoulder in respons to the question by Lexi.

"Quite a bit I suppose" he whispers back "Evidentially these Puppeteers don't like taking any chances. I assume we're being observed as disabling the engines would only buy her time if we tried anything. Still I prefer working with someone this professional, if her job is half as good as her desire for security indicates we should enquire about the other parts of the ship as well. Maybe we can get a full package deal if we all chip in a few stars."

During the conversation he casually tries to see if anyone is observing them, using mirrored surfaces and other things to get a full 360 view without having to obviously turn about his head. In addition he searches his subconcious for any vibes as to what could happen.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awareness to look about inocuously and Precognition to see if dealing with this Ambil is a good idea and if he senses anything pecular that could happen.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-06-25 at 11:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll on both skills, using the instructions here. (woohoo! Our first die rolls!

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #13

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awareness (4d3)[2][2][2][3](9)
    Precognition (4d3)[2][3][3][2](10)

EDIT: Results:
    Awareness Fair +1 = Good
    Precognition Good + 2 = Superb
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-06-25 at 12:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awareness: You can't see any obvious watchers, but there are not-hidden cameras thoughout the hanger.
    Precog: Coming by PM

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

A figure steps rather awkwardly out of the nearby shadows. With his eyes locked on the Pierson's Puppeteer, Mark slowly approaches Lexi and whispers quietly into her ear, "Examination is acceptable. Fusion drive ... fine. But thrusters. Without ... them, it leaves us in a bad position if authorities ... or others, come. I do not like it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Checking his history databases for information on Pierson's Puppeteers: (4d3)[2][3][3][3](11)
    History: +3 -> Great
    Last edited by Paladin5; 2008-06-25 at 02:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"Puppeteers are cowards," Lexi said quietly to Mark and Nathan. "It's afraid we're going to take off and kidnap it. Her. Him. Whatever."

Speaking loud enough to address Ambir. "Couldn't we just detach the autodoc and bring it out here for you to work on?"

"Negative," Ambir said. "If your autodoc is to heal your pilot, then it requires constant connection with the shipboard computer. I will need to examine all of the systems on your ship."

Lexi looked down at Nathan with a question in her eyes. "Do we trust it?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

17. - Top - End - #17

Nathan gets a brief look of distress on his face as he closes his eyes and opens them anew. As he whispers to Lexi his voice is nearly ethereal at first, as if a spirit carries the words, but then grows analytical and stern.

"Not trusting her at all would kill Mark, but trusting her to much could doom us all. Whatever events she will set in motion for us...we'll probably need that auto-doc. I suggest monitoring her actions every step of the way. We need to figure out what her agenda is and prepare for it, we'll talk later on it. In any case she's not after money, I bet we could offer an exchange of services for a full tune up."
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-06-25 at 04:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Lexi is not at all pleased with being put in the position to make a decision. Gah! Responsibility! That's what she had fled Luna to avoid. But now she has it anyway. Ha ha Mum, jokes on me!

Don't trust Ambir, lose Mark, trust Ambir, maybe lose us everybody. Maybe not. Sounds like a gamble. I'm good at gambling. And whether I trust Ambir or not, I definitely trust Nathan, and he thinks it's worth the risk.

Lexi stands up to her full height, projecting the confidence she'd just talked herself into. "Mark, you stay here with Nathan and let Ambir examine you. Nathan will NOT let it do anything to you that you don't want. I'll go with the guys into the ship and do whatever we need to do to make sure our visitor feels safe." And with a low chuckle, "And to make sure we feel safe too."

She motions at Kerouac and Dan to follow her into the ship. She isn't sure whether they'd overheard any of her conversation with Nathan--or for that matter, whether Ambir overheard. Do Puppeteers have unusual hearing? I should have paid more attention in Astrocivics class.... In any case, she'll discuss the situation with Kerouac and Dan while they disable the thrusters and fusion motors. Get their advice. Figure out how to monitor an alien while it works on a machine that none of them have the expertise to understand.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-06-25 at 04:43 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mark moves close to Nathan over and whispers to him, "Your assessment is ... correct but be very ... watchful. Though Puppeteers are not known to be very aggressive ... this one is ... unusual. It has left its homeworld and it speaks with those ... of different species. It would be considered ... insane ... amongst its own kind. Be ... cautious."
    Last edited by Paladin5; 2008-06-25 at 04:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Dan had already ducked inside the ship upo the Pupeteer's request to disable the engines.
    But he didn't head towards the engine rooms.
    He went to his quarters and rummaged about in one of the many not-so-secret compartments he had hidden about. A casual observer would miss them, but the rest of the crew knew about them, and he would profess to an inspector that it simply kept gear stowed for space without cluttering up the cramped quarters, already.

From the compartment, he produced a handgun loaded with Mercy Bullets.
    Immidiatly tucking the weapon into his waistband, Dan flung his overcoat over his shoulders and topped himself off with his fedora, and waited to meet Lexi and Kerouac in the Engine room.

"Whats the plan, Lex?"
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

21. - Top - End - #21

Kerouac has been silent throughout the whole endeavor. It gives him a sick feeling in his gut to think of - disabling, dismembering her, even temporarily, in this minor way. He sucks on his teeth and draws in a sharp breath, trying to work past his initial repulsion at the idea and vibe Ambir.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

Going to roll to see if Kerouac's empathy works at all on hir.

(4d3)[2][1][1][2](6)

Results: Minus two ranks, so I think that bumps him down to 0, Average.
    Last edited by rubakhin; 2008-06-25 at 05:09 PM.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

22. - Top - End - #22

Nathan nods at Marks words. "Don't worry, I'll keep an eye out on you." And then to Ambir. "you may proceed to examine him as you wish, yet I do wonder what you are doing on this world, if you don't mind me asking. After all It's not every day one comes across such a unique being." He sounds (and is) genuinely interested in whatever the puppeteer might be willing to tell him, though he attempts to make it seem like a mixture of small talk and a touch of suspicion. Inwardly Nathan was calming his mind from exitement, meeting this creature were the kind of breakthroughs he had hoped for, allready he wondered how best to aproach the scenario and what...but more importantly to whom and when to report this.

As he observed the cyborg he realised that despite his many implants to him Mark was more alive then most humans. He could feel the electronic pathways and circuits running through the pilots body. On the other hand...Mark was also a walking bomb to him.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Psycho Energetism (3d4)[3][4][3](10) and Awareness (3d4)[4][3][2](9) a to actively monitor the energy field around Mark as the Puppeteer works. Nathan is actively monitoring and mapping every change in flux in Mark. If anything happens theis might allow him to help reverse it, and besides it never hurts to watch a master at work. ((OOC: I assume he's always passively aware of energy fields, just like everyone is always passively looking and listening...it's like a sixth sense, but not he's just taking a closer 'look'))

23. - Top - End - #23

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    whoops should have been 4d3, not 3d4
    rerolls:

Psycho energy (4d3)[2][2][3][1](8)
    aware (4d3)[3][3][3][1](10)

EDIT: Results:

Psycho Energetism Great +0 = Great
    Awareness Fair + 2 = Great

PS: Awareness is for his normal watching what she does, Psycho energetism for anyt changes in his energy field (from his electronics, implants and such)
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-06-25 at 05:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

While Nathan is speaking to Ambir, Mark scans the room and the Puppeteer for anything suspicious or unusual.

Spoiler
    Show

Awareness: (4d3)[3][3][1][3](10) -> Epic (+5)
    Observation: (4d3)[2][1][1][2](6) -> Average (+0)
    Last edited by Paladin5; 2008-06-25 at 05:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Inside the ship:

"Dan, my dear, you are wearing a coat. One that you weren't wearing a few minutes ago. The temperature has not dropped. Therefore you are hiding something. Probably a weapon. And if I can figure that out, then I'm sure Ambir can figure it out as well. Now hand it over."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kerouac, you can make a roll if you like to see what you remember about Puppeteers from school. I don't see any relevant skills, so it would just be a straight die roll to see where you fall on the ladder starting from 0. Dan, you wouldn't have learned anything about aliens in your upbringing other than urban legends, so no roll for you.

Outside the ship:

to be added on my lunch break... sorry, ran out of morning!

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"Lexi, darling," Dan responded "I've told you this coat is a flavor thing, its... like my uniform, it helps me focus on the fact that I'm orking and helps me work better."
    Dan's face fell as Lexi didn't retract her hand.
    "If you insist, I could grab my rifle, too, and claim I'm carrying it a security measure. After all, its a stupid crew who lets a stranger aboard their ship without being prepared to respond.
    "But I still like having something concealed. We could let Kerouac hide it under his shirt, if I'm wearing the coat and not packing, why would she suspect ol' Shutter Bug?"

Despite his (admittidly flimsy) response, Dan caves without a single response from Lexi, and produces the handgun, laying the grip in Lexi's palm.
    "They're only mercy bullets, I'm not a murderer."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume the crew knows that Dan uses "Shutter Bug" as an affectionate nickname for Kerouac, and not a vicious one.
    Also, I'm liking how the Dan/Lexi dynamic is working out!
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-06-26 at 02:10 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

27. - Top - End - #27

A cold shiver runs up Kerouac's spine as he tries to read Ambir. It's not unpleasant - not pleasant, either. And neither was the emotion that he got from hir. He had never felt anything like that before - but he couldn't get a read on it. Couldn't tell whether or not it was malicious, intense ... He thinks back to school, trying to remember what he had read about the Puppeteers.

Spoiler
    Show

(4d3)[3][2][2][3](10)

He's off in his own little reverie, but snaps back into it when he hears his old nickname.

"Dude, this shirt is like two sizes too small. You can count my abs."

(It's not that tight. Maybe it was when he first got it - might've lost some weight since then. The current'll do that to you.)

"Man, I don't know, though. Diplomatically speaking, it wouldn't be a good idea to carry a weapon. It's rational, but Ambir's cagey. The paranoid aren't known for being rational. It's going to create a threatening atmosphere - tension, distrust, Ambir might refuse to work with us at all. If you really think you need something, let it be the Mercy Bullets and keep it concealed, but I'm not in love with the idea."
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

In the ship:

"I know they are mercy bullets," Lexi says, as she deftly unloads the gun. "Mercy bullets which are designed for humans. Unless you've been studying xenobiology in your spare time, you don't have any more idea than I do of what they'd do to an alien, and I'd rather not start the first Human-Puppeteer war today." She pockets the bullets and returns the gun to Dan. "Now, take off that ridiculous coat and hide this somewhere less obvious. You've got an ankle holster, right? If the worst happens, bluff with an empty gun and we'll take it hostage."

"Now... lets get those parts removed." She looks at Kerouac, who is clearly miserable at the thought of doing anything to hurt his baby. "I'm sorry, love, we've got to do it. Nathan says Mark's life depends on it, and you know he's always right about these things." She relates to them what Nathan said to her. "Now Nathan's got this idea that Ambir might be able to overhaul the engines as well as the 'doc. Personally I don't think anyone can do a better job than you can--especially not some two headed monster who's scared to even board the Penny. But you, with the right tools and the right parts...." Her voice trails off. "Damn it. Fine, fine, forget the gravity generator. You win. Whatever stars are leftover after Ambir is done with the 'doc are yours."

Outside the ship:

"We find humans... interesting," Ambir says. "You are not naturally aggressive, like the carnivorous species. Neither are you naturally prudent. Yet you are very successful, for such a young race. In the short time since our first meeting, you have become important allies to our people. We wish to understand you."

Ambir has no hands. However, her heads have dry, thick lips which extend several inches beyond the mouth, ending in finger-like knobs. The Puppeteer uses the lips like hands, but with far more dexterity than any human; this is once of the reasons for the race's superior toolmaking. The forked tongue also serves as additional fingers.

She is very gentle as she examines Mark, but she insists on examining your scars and your ports. You find this very mentally uncomfortable, but there is no physical pain at all. It seems to take a long time before she steps back and opens a small bag that is strapped around one of her forelegs. She brings out a device which you recognise instantly as a computer, despite the fact that you've never seen a computer shaped like this before. It is obviously meant to strap around a puppeteer neck to be operated with one mouth, leaving the other mouth free.

"I have an adaptor plug here,"
    she says in her beautiful voice. "If you will jack in to this, it will allow me to take some additional readings."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nathan, so far, she's done nothing to Mark that would upset his energy fields.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-06-26 at 06:20 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mark glances towards Nathan before acquiescing with curt nod to Ambir's request. As a safety precaution, he severs his datalink to the ship's computer and activates a security subroutine which should allow him to monitor the Puppeteer's readings and control his access to sensitive areas.

Spoiler
    Show

Computer:(4d3)[3][2][1][1](7) -> Average (+0)
    Last edited by Paladin5; 2008-06-26 at 10:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Outside the ship:

Mark, as you jack in to Ambir's computer, you feel an second of disorientation before finding yourself immersed in the most sophisticated computer system you've ever encountered. It's beautiful to use, smooth and graceful. It occurs to you fleetingly that this must be what Lexi feels like in low-g--the extra weight of imperfect microconnections are gone, and you can fly through this system.

You see instantly that the computer is receiving feeds from all of the security cameras in the place. You can see the data if you like, before it exits through a firewall. The firewall itself is a thing of beauty. As you approach it, it warns you off gently, but without hurting you. You suspect it would hurt quite a lot if you were to attempt to break through it. Also exiting through the firewall is the data the machine is learning from you.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to invoke your 'More Machine than Man' aspect to make you fall instantly and heavily in love with Ambir's computer (Okay, not literally in love, unless you want to play it that way, but you really really really want to have it for your own and will mourn for it when you connect back into a human computer). If you go along with this, you'll earn one Fate point. If you choose to resist it, you pay one Fate point out of your starting pool of five points. (I probably should have mentioned earlier that everyone has five points to start.)

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs