New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure in Eberron: Beyond the Sea

QB:

QB springs to his feet. "Hey, did everyone else just miss the part where Crazy Lady here said she'd kill us all if not for Irmaet's spell? I mean, I didn't understand half of the gibberish she was talking, but that part was plenty clear enough. I don't think she can tell us anything we can use - and I don't think she would, even if she could. Kill her already, and let's move on."

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Irmaet the Black
    "Oh all right, QB. Mr Bones, if QB says 'Lemon/Lime Sherbet', make with the poleaxe on the girl. George, might be a good idea if you do that too. Oh, and try to be careful with Mr Bones, QB. Don't go shouting the word if you're not certain."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-07-11 at 02:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153

Hector

Hector sighed. "It's not a bad idea Quentin, but I'm certainly not going to do it. Killing in battle is fine, even enjoyable, but slaying a helpless girl is a bit more than I'd care for. And considering how Vaasth is taken with her, I'm inclined to let him do as he wishes with her. I doubt she could overpower all of us, if the crazy wench does turn on us, anyway."

Irmaet's offer, on the other hand, sparked his interest. Hector digs around in his robes before producing a battered spellbook, one of a pair. "More knowledge can only be a good thing, yes? I must say, Irmaet, I was rather impressed with that 'Wrack' of yours. I never could get the hang of necromantic magicks, I'm afraid, but perhaps we can work out an equitable trade. I specialize in summoning -" he waved his hand in the direction of where his Slaad had been, "but I'm also a fair hand at transmutation and evocation. If it's not too much of a trade secret, perhaps I could ask what your strengths are?"
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154

Irmaet the Black
    "Well, I'm sure my field of expertise is self evident, but I've never studied the theory behind Enchantment or Evocation, myself."

Irmaet flips through his spellbook, checking his repetoire, occasionally shaking his head as he comes to spells he isn't prepared to trade.

"Let's see, do you have Analyse Dweomer? I've found that one very useful, especially as a side business - adventurers seem to be pulling things up from Xen'drik every day these days, and it certainly beats out the cost of identify spells."

He thumbs through the volume some more, before sighing, and passing the book, open to the index, to Hector.

"Well, maybe you're better off just having a look at the contents. The ones with a red asterisk I'm not going to let anyone have, but they're mostly LFM stuff anyway. Oh, and if you've got one of those magic spellbooks, feel free to take Greater Disruption - even if you haven't got the groundwork to make use of it, it'll make for good trade fodder, and I've been trying to get it into more spellbooks. I'll trade circle for circle, and the ones with the little 'x' next to them I'll give you for free."

Spoiler
    Show
    Table of Contents
    Double Asterisked Spells are not for distribution, Asterisked Spells are Resticted, Spells with an (x) are for open distribution
    1 Alarm
    1 Arcane Lock
    1 Chill Touch
    1 Irmaet's Minor Curative (Comparable to Clerical Rite 'Cure Light Wounds') (x)
    1 Feather Fall (x)
    1 Grease
    1 Locate Object
    1 Mage Armor
    1 Orb of Electricity, Lesser
    1 Ray of Enfeeblement
    1 Swift Expeditous Retreat
    2 Alter Self*
    2 Backbiter
    2 Blindness/Deafness*
    2 Blur
    2 Command Undead**
    2 Disguise Undead**
    2 Ghoul Touch
    2 Invisibility*
    2 Misrepresent Alignment*
    2 Phantasmal Assailants
    2 Rope Trick
    2 Spectral Hand
    2 Summon Monster III
    3 Dispel Magic
    3 Irmaet's Greater Undead Disruption (x)
    3 Fly
    3 Gentle Repose
    3 Halt Undead
    3 Haste
    3 Major Image
    3 Phantom Steed
    3 Scrying
    3 Vampiric Touch
    3 Water Breathing
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Bestow Curse
    4 Irmaet's Arcane Surgery (Comparable to Clerical Rite 'Cure Critical Wounds') (x)
    4 Dimension Door
    4 Phantasmal Killer*
    4 Polymorph
    4 Repair Critical Wounds
    4 Secure Shelter*
    4 Summon Monster IV
    4 Wrack*
    5 Arc of Lightning
    5 Baleful Polymorph*
    5 Burning Blood
    5 Dismissal
    5 Greater Blink
    5 Lesser Planar Binding
    5 Secret Chest
    5 Spiritwall
    5 Teleport
    6 Analyse Dweomer
    6 Arrow of Bone*
    6 Disintegrate*
    6 Eyebite*
    6 Flesh to Stone*
    6 HEAL(tm) - 8th revision (x)
    6 True Seeing
    6 Undeath to Death (x)
    6 Wall of Iron

5. - Top - End - #155

Irmaet the Black
    In celebration of the end to the terrible time plague that has wracked this land for the last 7 days, rendering everyone paralysed, Irmaet produces an Air Horn and a set of party hats from his component pouch.

"Hooray!"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

The spell-hobbled girl takes her party hat wryly, staring at Irmaet. "This is your fault! We have lived in a great and strange eon beneath the sea, but you have come down here, bringing your corrupt and twisted time with you! Did you feel it like I did? A week's worth of stillness, trapped between seconds, feeling time stretch and bend around you? Are your minds able to feel such things, or are you too primitive to tell when the world is unraveling around you? Go away! Leave!"
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Vaasth looks into her eyes still, "Calm down my dear, it was probably just gas."
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

8. - Top - End - #158

Hector

Hector looked up from the book he was perusing like a gleeful kid in a candy store, and offered, "I don't know about that, but I do feel really well-rested for some reason. Like I just took a vacation."

He flicked his own spellbook to Irmaet, a hodgepodge of spells accompanied by little notes like 'Works great!', 'More lightning, less thunder', and 'Use in case of impending death'. One spell in particular that looked rather like Plane Shift, was so crossed-out and scribbled on as to be illegible.

Spoiler
    Show

Our areas of expertise don't really overlap much. I can't use illusion or necromancy, you can't use evocation, etc.

1 Enlarge Person
    1 Magic Missile
    1 Summon Monster I
    1 Benign Transposition
    2 Detect Thoughts
    2 Baleful Transposition
    2 Rope Trick
    2 Web
    2 Heart of Air
    3 Dimensional Step
    3 Mage Armor, Greater
    3 Fly
    3 Scattering Trap
    3 Unluck
    3 Heart of Water
    4 Summon Monster IV
    4 Evard's Black Tentacles
    4 Ice Storm
    4 Heart of Earth
    5 Summon Monster V
    5 Channelled Sonic Blast
    5 Dimension Jumper
    5 Lightning Leap
    5 Lord of the Sky
    5 Wall of Stone
    5 Heart of Fire
    6 Summon Monster VI
    6 Freezing Fog
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

The girl, still in crippling pain, rears on Vaasth. "Hah, you would blame it on some mere, biological process? Clearly you have no knowledge of the Kalashtar, you mongrel." she says, with perhaps less malice than she could have employed. "We are beyond such organic questions, albeit...not quite all of them." she teases, almost coyly. "No, this is a temporal breach. Our beautiful crystalline matrices of time woven in deft arrays upon the silver loom, held and ordered to our will by spheres of quintessence, hovering in congeries and swirling in brilliant vorte...no, no, I'm muttering now. However, the purity and safety of New Xethia has been tainted by your encroachment, you with your hulking muscles and slithering tentacles, you have caused this." She says this calmly, without anger or hatred.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Vaasth continues to have a calm aura about him as his hands rest on her face and his tentacle around her neck, "...What is science? I think it's people's curiosity taken shape... do what you want because you want to know. My ship crashed, and I saw a tower I hadn't before... I was curious and I stepped in and found New Xathia." The tip of the tentacle moves gently to move some of the hair from her face, "And I know all about crystals, but the quori aren't half the mastermakers as what I'm sure I'm half of. The daelkyr's are scientists... and by my reckoning, I'm half." He smirks and lets out a string of Daelkyr words in rapid succession, trying to enforce the prospect of science in his very blood, "Not sure how or why, just going by what I pick up. Now tell me about those organic questions you aren't beyond..."

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

"I am not beyond spitting in your eye if you keep making such forceful advances." she laughs. "And I am fully able to be taken out for dinner, although I'm not sure if I could exactly swallow at the moment. You gentlemen have got me, captured and defeated honestly. Take this damned torture-spell off of me, and I can show you where to get some food, find shelter, how to hack the machines. It would be such a small thing for you to do, and I could help you so much, maybe even find a way for you to go back."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

"Advances? Nonono! I'm interested on a scientific level." His face seems utterly sincere. "And I can take you out to dinner, I'm fond of squid myself..." He smirks. "But as far as I know, the spell can't be brought down, you just have to wait a few moments more. If you can help us I might be forever in your debt... though I'm far from interested in leaving." With the last word his tentacle whip tightens ever so slightly around her neck.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163

Irmaet the Black
    "And as I've told you, the spell is gone, you just need to adjust!"

Irmaet turns back to Hector's book, humming a little tune to himself as he flicked through the 'title' pages of each of the spells.

"Let's see... Wait - you don't have Dispel? I'm disappointed in you, Hector. I'll trade you Dispel and Grease for your Stonewall - Ironwalling is a bit expensive for regular use, I'm afraid. Hum, what else... Well, I wouldn't mind grabbing Dimension Jumper off you, too. Anything you see that you want? The ones with the little (x) next to them you can have for free."

Spoiler
    Show
    Irmaet does have a fair bit of conjuration, though.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, you noticed?" the girl says, downcast. "Guess I should stop pretending then." Suddenly, she leaps to her feat, a sphere of ice shimmering in her palm, outstretched towards Vaasth's face. However, after a moment's hesitation, she lowers her hand, the icy energy dissipating.

"Well, to be honest, I had planned on getting in a good sneak attack and then fleeing." she says, neatening her dress. "But I'm having second thoughts. It's been a while since I've had a good dinner with better company than those sorry splicers. Come along, I know a place."

She walks forward, to the end of the room. A circular door, closed up with a metallic iris or apeture, opens as she strokes a crystalline panel on its side. She walks through, beckoning you all with a gesture.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Vaasth's eyes are somewhat wide with surprise, and his lips pursed for the same reason, the tentacle whip sliding off and unraveling as she gets up. "Uh, it's very kind of you to not... freeze my face." He gets up himself and begins to follow the girl. "I don't think I asked... what is your name?"

"Guurg."
    "Shut up, you try to do better."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

"My name, you silly halfbreed, is D'auratheae. If you can't speak Quor, it'd probably be easier to just call me Dorothy. Come along, the Starry Wisdom Tavern's locks will flip on in a few minutes, and I'd rather not have to hack my way in." From her tone, you'd never guess she had just been locked in mortal combat with you - she sounds just like an imperious teenager.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

"Vaasth. Am I going to need gold? I sort of don't have any." The daelkyr halfblood looks around at his surroundings, waiting to see what kind of insane diner this place might have, considering it's possible patrons.
    "And you know, you're acting pretty calm considering the recent circumstances. Kin'a like that. It means my face didn't get frozen."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-07-20 at 09:19 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Dorothy laughs. "No, you'll not be needing any coin. Since the day of the Aeon Ball, there's not been anyone working there...or anywhere. Things fall apart, and all that. No, the tavern has a matter compiler for making food and drink, and I just figured out how to jigger it so it'll give you food without paying for it. A cosy place, certainly."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Vaasth looks over his shoulder and shouts to the rest of the party, "You guys, ah... Stay here and do book things. I'm going to dine with a woman." He turns back to Dorothy. "Does this thing vend squid? I'm actually really partial to it. Been ...days since I've had any."
    "Gurrr."
    "Oh, he's hungry, too."

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

"Umm...it would be rather nice if the rest of them came along. I'm not quite sure what kind of impression you got from us, but New Xethia isn't exactly the safest city in Eberron, not anymore. If we run into any other splicers, it'd be nice to have that pain spell to use on them."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

"...Oh." He turns back, "Hey! Come here! Bring your books, too!"

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kyrek

Kyrek narrows his eyes when the girl mentions she speaks Quor--it is after all the primary tongue of planar invaders.
    He then delves into the wizards swapmeet.

I'm afraid you'll find I'm a less powerful wizard than you fellows. As you probably guessed from George, I dabble in druidic traditions as well. My spells are somewhat generic, although I tend to use crowd control spells mostly.

Irmaet, I'd be very interested in your Wrack spell. Phantasmal Killer also looks interesting. Dimension Door, I've heard of that one! Haste sounded good, but I didn't have time to get it the one other time I ran into it. Ghoul Touch? I'm not so sure about that one..

Hector? Let's see..Greater Mage Armor? An improvement on an old classic. Baleful Transposition..ooh. Some of these others look interesting as well. Of course, there's only so much time for spell-scribing!

Meanwhile, George separates from the group, lights a cigar, and mutters something about nerds. After finishing the cigar, he leaves the butt with Kyrek.

I'm not sure where the trash is around here..and I'm not one to litter.

Hm? Oh yes, of course not. You really should stop using these things George, they'll give you the coughing sickness.

What? So you're my mother now?

No. If I were your mother and you did something I did not approve of, I would have eaten you and left it at that.

George grins a toothy smile at that--a somewhat threatening gesture for a large tusked ape to be doing.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Sorry it took me all day to post. I wasn't expecting the server to be back up and I was at the beach.

1st-Mage Armor, Grease, Shield, Ray of Enfeeblement, Detect Secret Doors, True Strike, Alarm, Feather Fall

2nd-Glitterdust, Web, Rope Trick, Knock

3rd-Major Image, Vampiric Touch(SR), Fly(SR), Dispel Magic

4th-Black Tentacles, Wall of Fire, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, Enervation
    5th-Teleport, Cloudkill
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-07-20 at 10:52 PM.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

23. - Top - End - #173

Hector

Oh, so that's how it is, eh? Someone is asking to be the target of a few Prestidigitations in his sleep, I see. Hector shrugs, pockets his spellbook, and follows along. "Shown up by the tentacle man, how harsh."

He wanders along behind the two lovebirds, surprised at the change in atmosphere from life-threatening to congenial. He picks back up the thread of the 'nerd' conversation. "True, I've seen that a good Dispel can be invaluable... and that minor curative spell seems practical. I'm rather delicate, you see. And I see that you both know teleportation, which I also lack. Irmaet, a Stonewall and the Dimensional Jumper - hard to find a better spell for multiple short distance teleports, that one - for a Dispel, that unusual Curative, and.. perhaps your Disintegrate? Analyze Dweomer seems quite useful, but I'm somewhat.. financially embarrassed at the moment. I couldn't even afford the focus item."

"And Kyrek, you'd be welcome to copy something you like if I could get my hands on that Teleport."

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't remember: how many 'levels' worth of spells can you copy per day?

EDIT: Ha - I forgot, I don't have the 50g per spell level to copy your guys' spells, having only 50g to my name.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-07-20 at 11:19 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Dorothy sighs, and comically rests her face in her palm. "Wizards. Always with the spellbooks."

25. - Top - End - #175

Hector

Hector's answering smile seems a trifle predatory, odd coming from an unathletic butterball of a wizard. "Speaking of spellbooks - or lack thereof - perhaps you'd care to enlighten us as to the source of your powers?" His segue lacked something in the way of subtlety. They are nothing I recognize, and I recognize... quite a lot. Was this something you discovered in the heyday of New Xethia, or was it after the .. Aeon Ball?"

In his own way, Hector loved the unraveling of mysteries. Despite the fact that this had blown up in his face rather spectacularly in the past, it obviously remained a character trait of his, and 'Dorothy' was just such an enigma.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-07-20 at 11:31 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Irmaet the Black
    "Sure, why not move on - I'm sure we can do all the trades while our lovely couple find a room for themselves... Oh! That reminds me - here, allow me to give you a quick patch-up job. Wouldn't want your wounds to catch up with you during a quiet moment, would you now?"

Irmaet walks up to Dorothy and intones a quick dweomer and taps her on the head to finish the spell.

"There, it's not a lot, but it'll stop any of your wounds from catching up with you."

He finishes by closing his spellbook and following the others, continuing to engage in wizardly banter with the others as he walks.

"Alright, so I'll get Stonewall and Dimension Jumper from you, in exchange for Dispel, Disintegrate, and... well, I'll give you Grease and the old-fashioned Mage Armour. Like I said, you can have the curative for free. I've got a copy of my book on me, so here, why not have a read through, and tell me what you think of it."

He takes out his research book and jots a few notes on the back page, before producing a sizeable volume entitled "On the Practical Application of Necromantic Principles to Curative Purposes", and tosses it to Hector.

"So, Kyrek, I know you wanted Wrack... I'll give it to you for Shield and True Strike, and, er, well, Knock, I suppose. I suppose I could let you have Phantasmal Killer, even if it is a bit dangerous - it's not too dangerous, I guess, and I'll let you have it for Black Tentacles. Dimdoor I'll give you for Glitterdust, and... well, I suppose there isn't a whole lot more in terms of spells to trade from you. Well, I'm sure we can work something out if there's anything else you want. In the meantime, I'm happy to help you guys with any spells in my book if you'd like to make use of them. From the attitude of Dorothy and her 'friends', there's not a whole lot of reason to being miserly old men, is there?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10: 10+15 = 25 Bluff vs Dorothy to convince her he's actually casting Cure Light Wounds, and therefore relinquish the save. Dorothy receives a -2 penalty to sense motive to recognise the bluff, due to lingering effects of Wrack

Spellcraft DC 19 to identify spell Bestow Curse, -2 penalty on check due to lingering effects of Wrack

Bestow Curse on Dorothy, use 2 - -4 on attack rolls, saves, ability checks and skill checks. DC 24 Will save to negate. Dorothy receives a dimensional -2 penalty to save against this if she makes her sense motive, due to lingering effect of Wrack.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-07-21 at 12:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Dorothy sighs in placebo-relief as Irmaet casts his spell on her. "Ah, thank you. While I can't feel that much healing through all the numbing pain, I'm sure I'll feel much better later." she jokes.

She turns to Hector, answering his question. "My powers are, for the most part, my own - psychic talents and psionic abilities; all Kalashtar have at least some. I've had a few plasmids spliced on, true, but they're really just for back-up."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kyrek

Yes,I agree. Sharing resources is probably the best policy in light of our current circumstances. But perhaps we forget ourselves, we do have a mystery to solve. There will be time for sharing resources later!

Now, little girl, what exactly are "splicers"?
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

"What are splicers? Tricky, tricky question there. They're people like the three you just killed, but not me, certainly not me. Overdose on ADAM, splice on a plasmid too many, and then your mind starts to crumble away and your body starts twisting. One of the doctors, he had some name for it...I don't remember." Dorothy says.

30. - Top - End - #180

Hector

'Overdose on ADAM'? A drug of some kind? Hector stayed away from hallucinogenics - he had weird enough things in his head already without needing to add more - but he was familiar with stimulants like muqqa or Bloodspikes.

Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: Yes, apparently Hector is a druggie now.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-07-21 at 05:58 PM.

Spoiler
    Show