New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Autumn Falls on Orion (IC)

Moisture in the air is beginning to dry and the nights are becoming warm. To the South the vineyards have been plucked and the orchards picked. Stretching to the West of Orion, lines of trees adorning the mountains are fading from a rich green to fervent tones of red and yellow. Each night, hundreds of thousands of Orion's citizens lie together under the afternoon sky to watch as the fortress of stone and forest West of the city are set ablaze by rays of the setting sun. At night, Salazar's Peak scrapes the stars and, after nine months of dormancy, begins refilling the skies with tufts of billowing, white smoke.

Since the final days of August, countless travelers from across Sargus hailing from Sorachi, Weldland, Edoria, as far West as Kvampfen and as far South as Phyllanen are taking the ferry from Port Hammfell to the docks of Orion. All of them of varying race, religion, class, and creed. Nobles have come, bringing with them hordes of gifts to bestow upon the Emperor. Hoping to break bread and share stories with the Chosen; to maneuver their way into a position in Orion's Elite Council. Champions of the Gods come from the bordering lands; some from across the Sea of Lunares; all to compete in the Decadrian Games.
    In all the floral-laden courtyards of Orion, impoverished or wealthy, are plays, dances, music, and story-tellers. All of them, blissfully weaving their arts together to enthrall the people. In the streets, vendors are shouting at passersby; employing them to buy their jewelry, clothes, ale and food. And in the inner-cities, the drunken people roam the roads enjoying the warmth of the night and light of the moon.

Yes, the Autumnal Equinox has once come again in Sorachi and with it the Rheioram Festival; the largest in all of Sargus and a joint festival to honor Moradin and Bahamut over the span of ten weeks. Autumn lasts for nigh four months in Sorachi, lasting from the beginning of September to the end of December; with warm, clear nights and the return of Orion's delicacy, Whitewater Crab, it is Sorachi's most revered season.

A time when everyone is happy and the City and Temple Guards are busy; during this season, the metropolis Orion is always skittering with life and activity. However, the elation of the season hasn't hit all of the citizens of Orion. For in the Elymai District, dread fills the streets. For only a few weeks ago, Talisa Lankhannen VI was slain in the night outside the Orion Arcanum. By orders of Emperor Adelrich Salazar III, the trial has been suspended until Spring in order to honor the Gods during this time of celebration. Yet, days ago, a suspect was apprehended in the slums of the Cyme District; however, many people suspect the alledged guiltiness of the young Dwarf: Vythen Drakenthor...

(Enter PCs)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Autumn Falls on Orion (IC)

Trevor Entwhistle sits in the tavern, slowly sipping on a glass of wine. He has a frown on his face despite the fact that, in all of his past years, he has loved the Orion Autumn the best. Especially the ones where his mother had been able to take him to the festival when he was just a boy.

He has been waiting on his friends Jiminy and Thorgrim for an hour now at the Gem Dragon Inn. He is not impatient, he knows that he called on at the last minute and that the cleric would have trouble putting his affairs in order with the temple and Arcanum before meeting with him. And Jiminy, well, he was never the punctual sort. He had told them he was planning an expedition to recover something that he feels would benefit the city, indeed the entire kingdom. He had also asked that they bring hearty adventurers to aid in their journey.

He keeps his long, silky black hair down around his face, obscuring it from many of the other patrons, though there are very few as most are outside as part of the celebrations. A backpack lies on the ground next to his seat, as if he were preparing to go on a journey.
    His rune-laden quarterstaff is propped against his shoulder and he has one hand draped lazily over it. His spellbook is on the table, sitting open, and Trevor is casually reading through its arcane text.

Being a wizard, even a young and inexperienced one, he knows the full impact of the Talisa Lankhannen's death. There would be a massive succession conflict over control of House Lankhannen, the most powerful and prestigious of the Human noble families of Orion. Trevor himself has had little time to mourn, for other issues have arisen that has proven much more immediate. As soon as Thorgrim and jiminy arrive, Trevor will begin the process of recruiting a couple of adventurers to help him find the great treasure that many refuse to believe still exists.

He finishes his glass and calls the barmaid over. "One more, miss Eriel." He says, tossing a few silver coins onto the table. He smiles at the pretty barmaid. He has known the girl Eriel for a while now, as he is a frequent patron of the Gem Dragon. With a flash of his hands, he creates a small bouquet of flowers and hands them over to her. "Surely one as lovely as you should be apart of the celebrations..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Jiminy

Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise check to determine the mood on the street regarding the arrest of Vythen Drakenthor:

(1d20+10)[30]

Jiminy pauses at the door of the bar to peak inside and see if (and where) Trevor is. Noticing the man flirting shamelessly with the barmaid, he slips inside the door and approaches from the side. He hops into a chair at Trevor's table and calls out to the waitress in an overly dramatic tone, "oh pretty maiden, your eyes sparkle like the brightest diamonds and your lips temp me like an oasis in the middle of a desert temps a man dying of thirst. And your hands, oh so smooth, would make me the happiest person alive, if only they were holding my...pint of ale. On the double please, keeping up with my freind here is thirsty work."

He finally turns to Trevor with a mischievous grin. "Miss me?"
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To Jiminy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In a profession where you used to frequent the Cyme District, you have often run into the young Dwarf. While you don't know him well personally, you do know he made constant visits to the Temple of Moradin within the slums. While he had a job working as a barman at the Broken Chalice. Now, familiar with the Elymai District as well, you know that no one is antogonizing to Vythen than Malcolm Lankhannen; the successor to the recently murdered Talisa Lankhannen VI's estate.

To Trevor and Jiminy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eriel smiles at Trevor's conjuration as Jiminy enters the Gem Dragon. She laughs at Jiminy's comments for a moment than takes the flowers from Trevor, "It's a kind gesture, Trevor. But, maybe one day you'll get a girl some real flowers. Some that live a little longer than a few minutes." Giving a smirk back she puts them in the vase by the window, then heads behind the bar; soon returning with your drinks.
    Last edited by Boggs; 2008-06-27 at 09:04 AM. Reason: I made some gross errors in the first spoiler...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

The door to the terrace bangs open as a young waiter, loaded to the brim and above with plates and mugs, comes in, doing his best to keep everything level. He's about six feet tall, gangly (but strong) and wearing the standard uniform for workers at the inn. "Hey Eriel, those three guys out there are getting kinda rowdy. Should I give them their next round of ale, or should I tell them to--" CRASH!
    As he walks by and notices the flowers in the barmaid's hands, his face takes on one of those 'dammit, not again' looks as his gaze follows the girl's curves, not the curves of the path in front of him. Which is soon interrupted by a chair.

Roger sits in the middle of a morass of broken ceramics, an unidentifiable red sauce dripping down his dark brown hair. That shirt is going to need serious cleaning. But, as always, work comes first. Avoiding making eye contact with Eriel, he quickly gets up and begins brushing pieces of broken mug off of Jiminy and Trevor's table, rapidly spouting train-of-thought style: "So, so sorry. Are you guys okay? Um, I'm really sorry. Is there anything I can do for you?"
    Last edited by TheStagesmith; 2008-06-27 at 01:08 PM.
    On the Differences between Third and Fourth Editions
    Characters: None at the moment :-(

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Ajax

With the Rheioram Festival just beginning to launch into full swing Ajax's duties at the school were very limited since many students and professors were out enjoying themselves or getting a well deserved rest. Normally he would be content to stay in his lodgings and sit out of the balcony with a nice pipe full of tabac, unfortunately his current string of Jarmis Weed was about gone and he needed to get some more.

Making his way to the Gem Dragon, where the man he usually bought his tabac from was a regular. Ajax himself wasn't much of a drinker, never had been, ale just never really settled well with his taste buds. Walking up to the door Ajax thought he might have heard the sounds of broken drinkwear, he didn't really think much about it as the Green Dragon rarely entertained any rabble.

Stepping inside, he saw what had caused the commotion, Rodger. He had met Rodger by chance when he was inspecting a shipment of metals that he needed to finish a rather large project for one of the professors, something about constructing a large man made of steel. As he was guiding the wagon around back Rodger apparently had caught sight of the Greataxe Ajax's father had made for him. Questions pursued, and Ajax was often visited by the youngster to spar or just to chat. Rodger seemed like a good kid, despite the normal failings of many teenage boys.

"Letting yourself get distracted by the ladies again Rodger, now what I have told you about that." In reality Ajax probably hadn't said anything to the boy about such things and if he did he couldn't remember, but a little jabbing never hurt anybody. "I don't suppose Gregor has been about today." Ajax asked as he bent down to help Rodger pick up some of the bits and pieces that were spewed along the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    FYI, Gregor is the tabac salesman.
    Last edited by Trulhammaren; 2008-06-27 at 10:32 PM.
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show
    Artax Masters - Heavy Metal Master
    Badhbh o'Byrne - Practically dead already
    Dartanian Korsikova - Wilderness man and friend to all pokemon.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

A dwarf aproaches from the bar, a mug of ale in his hand.

"I'm sorry I'm late, but old Moonshine was leading the evening prayers, and you guys know how long he goes on for. So, tell me, Trevor, how goes life as a graduate?"

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

My freaking subscription didn't work, so sorry for the delay in posting.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2008-06-30 at 10:53 AM.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor smiles, seeing the Dwarf enter. He stands and shakes his hand graciously. "No need to be sorry, I have called you and Jiminy on such short notice." He beckons the Dwarf to a seat at his table, next to the plucky Jiminy.

When Roger drops the dishes, Trevor rises up and uses his Mage Hand to aid the young man in picking up the dishes and Prestidigitation to clean up the stains on his clothing. His motivations are mainly to try and impress Eriel though. He takes the time to smile at her every now and then.
    While helping Roger, he speaks, "we only require another round of drinks, ale for the Halfling and as you can see the Dwarf already has one of his own. I would like glass of wine for myself, please. Of course, I would hope it be delivered by the lovely Eriel."

He notices the blacksmith, Ajax, enter the Tavern. "Well, master Ajax, this is truly a surprise. I wasn't expecting you here today. Come have a drink with us, perhaps you know of someone who can help us." He looks around, making sure that no one can hear nearby. He whispers a bit. "We are about to leave on an adventure, and it is imperative that we leave tonight by the latest. We need someone with a strong arm and skill with weapons. We also need a scout, someone who knows the Sorachi region and possibly beyond. Perhaps you know of such fellows due to your work..."
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-06-30 at 01:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Jiminy

Jiminy stays silent. He's never in his life been more than a league outside the city, and the long journey slightly unnerves him. However, he'd already committed to joining Trevor and wasn't about to back out now. Getting away from the guild, and their "reminders", was just an added bonus.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

From the back room comes a human male. While his white beard and wrinkled eyes show a weathered man, his posture and strong physique shows a weathered adventurer. He wipes his calloused hands on a towel and looks around the bar, "Ajax! I thought I heard your voice." Gregor walks to Ajax extending his hand then looks back to Roger, "Come on, kid. That's the third time this week." He starts to kneel and help him but notices Trevor already assisting, "Alright..." he pulls from his pocket a bag of tobacco. "Now, this is the last ounce I have at the moment." Handing it to Ajax he continues, "I'll give you this bag in exchange for your finding a steady supply. With all the land and fertile soil around Orion, you think at least one farmer would have the sense to cultivate the damn stuff. Anyhow, I know it grows wildly outside the city... somewhere... I just don't know where that is, well, I need to get back to work. Getting the barrels ready for the crowd tonight. It's the same every damn Equinox."

With another handshake Gregor retreats to the back just as quick as he had appeared.

11. - Top - End - #11

Thorgirm watches the barkeep leave.

"Well, He certainly doesn't waste time" He commented dryily.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

12. - Top - End - #12

Roger

"What? Oh, sure. Um, Eriel, did you get that?" he asks, looking at the pretty barmaid. He's obvously smitten with her, though it's equally obvious that she considers him nothing more than a friend.
    "Oh, um, sorry Gregor. I'll take care of this right away. It won't happen again, I promise. And this time, um, I mean it."
    He hastily gathers up the broken drinkware, covertly listening to this group of people. An adventure! Too bad he would have to go back to the kitchens soon, and miss more of the highly interesting discussion. Unless...

Roger soon trundles off towards the kitchens shirtless, having used his white uniform shirt to carry the broken pieces. After a few minutes he returns wearing a coarse, loose shirt fit more for travel than for waiting tables, but admittedly it is whiter than the ale-stained shirt he was wearing previously. He walks up to the table, pulling out a small slate and chalk, clumsily breaking into the conversation"Can I get you gentlemen anything to eat? Some milled bread with cheese, maybe?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Ajax

Receiving the tobacco from Gregor with a promise that he would look into the problem, Ajax took a seat when Trevor had offered. After Trevor explained the situation Ajax leaned back to think of anybody that might fit the bill.

Hmm, well I suppose I could go with you. Artifax can easily take over my duties at the school, and its probably about time he got some real work under his belt. Now a scout, I'll have to think on that a bit...

No sooner than he began thinking of any likely candidates, did Rodger approach and ask if the group congregated at the table wanted to eat.

Of course, Rodger.

Sitting upright in his chair, Ajax addressed Rodger. I think we are fine, come here have a seat. If Gregor gets on your case I'll set him straight, don't you worry.

Addressing the rest of the table, specifically Trevor. Gentlemen let me introduce Rodger Clemens. I can vouch for his skill in weaponry, spared with him on several occasions myself. Also, unless you want to start dishing out money to get a 'proper' guide this lad here is your best bet, been out with the caravans on several occasions. Besides I don't think you'll find anyone more eager to get out of town as this lad.
    Last edited by Trulhammaren; 2008-07-02 at 11:23 PM.
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor eyes Roger for a moment. "I hope he is not as clumsy with a blade as he is with dishes... But I accept your nomination, Ajax. Welcome aboard, Roger. Now take a seat, we have much to discuss..."

Trevor reaches into his bag, and pulls out a scroll tube. He removes the cap and pulls out an old, yellowed parchment. Laying it out on the table, careful to avoid wet spots, reveals an ancient map of Sargus (and some outlying regions) and written in a text that is similar to modern Draconic but different enough to be unreadable by the common Draconic speaker. The map itself appears to be incomplete, however, and is missing several key regions and landmarks.

"This is what I have drawn you all here for," Trevor says in a quieted voice. "I have only half of the map, but have researched its connection with the Renati and learned the ancient Draconic that the text is written it. This leads to six special items that will lead to the other half of the map. That will in turn lead to six additional items that will lead us to the treasure..."

He pauses to take another sip of wine. "The Renati were a union of six Human and eight Dwarven noble houses that overthrew the tyranny of Cornelius Thorne nearly two thousand years ago. They say that it was the union of the Human and Dwarf nobles that inspired the gods to unite and strike down the tyrant, establishing the alliance of dwarves and men that has endured to this day. however, the Renati failed over the next two-thousand years and the map to the treasure was split into two and each half was given to the most powerful human and dwarven family. House Lankhannen was the human house chosen. The maps lead to twelve items that are essential for locating the lost treasure. the first item, that I have been able to translate from the directions on the map, is a special compass that I have come to believe is located somewhere in the Maruka Highlands, to the north."

He turns to Roger. "How well do you know the Highlands? If you are to be our guide..."

15. - Top - End - #15

Roger

Roger asks no questions, but immediately puts down everything and sits, listening intently to what is being said. He immediately colors up when Trevor mentions his skill in balancing dishes, glancing furtively towards the bar where Eriel is busy making drinks while ostensibly brushing some leftover sauce out of his hair. "I can handle my blades well," he states defensively, "And I've been with several caravans in the highlands, not to mention some exploring of my own. I know the region fairly decent. Better than most you'll find around these parts." He pauses, peering at the parchment Trevor laid on the table. "Yeah, I know those parts. I can kind of read this stuff, too, but it doesn't seem to quite make sense. What language is this in, did you say?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor chuckles a bit. "I have studied this language for almost the entire time I have studied magic. The language is, as I can best describe, an ancient form of the Draconic tongue. I am able to read it quite easily, but I don't expect you to know otherwise."

"And I didn't mean to insult you, my young friend, it is just that this is certainly a dangerous venture. We have two options for leaving the city, we can depart by way of ferry out of Orion to Port Hammerfell. Then we can commission a ship or boat to sail us North into Cape Kurtulmak and dock directly in the Highlands. It is safer, but will take much longer.
    The other choice is to head across the mountains to the North. We can stop at the Elven outpost just outside the city for supplies. The trek will be shorter, but more difficult and we will risk encountering goblins, orcs, or worse.

Trevor sighs, "I cannot possibly tell you which path we should take, I don't want that on my conscience. I will leave it up to you. Whatever direction we choose, we must leave tonight before the gates are locked, we are in haste, though I cannot quite say the reason why just yet. I know that you all probably have your own affairs to set in order, so I say we rendezvous here at the Gem Dragon in three hours time."
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-07-07 at 06:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Jiminy

Jiminy pales at the mention of sailing. "Boats?" he asks nervously, "Don't they, you know...sink? Goblins don't scare me...but I'm not a fan of deep water."
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

18. - Top - End - #18

"At the same time, are we really in that much of a rush? unless I've misunderstood the situation here, this is not a time senseitive adventure. why risk the perils of the mountains when a surer path is available?"

Spoiler
    Show

an IC vote for the boat, but if you guys prefer the mountains, I'm perfectly fine with that.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Ajax

Three hours then. Ajax says as he stands to take his leave, not really worried one way or the other on the how of getting to their destination...although he was always more comfortable using his own two feet. Pausing before he makes his way out of the tavern, he stands still and shakes his head slightly before making his way to his forge.

By the blood of my father, I won't fail them this time!

[hr]

Having packed his bag with some essentials and made the necessary arrangements for Artifax to take over for him until his return, Ajax hefts the Greataxe over his shoulder and starts to walk out the door. Before he makes it out the door however, he pauses and returns to the cabinet where he kept his axe. Slowly opening the door he stares at the battered chainmaille that for many years brought back nightmares of that fateful eve. Shrugging off his pack and setting down the ax Ajax picked up the chain link armor and slowly dawns the armor remembering what had happened many years past.

May this armor bring me the courage that it did you Grimlock.

Giving the age old sign asking Kord for the power to do his bidding, Ajax hefted the rest of his equipment and headed back to the Gem Dragon.
    Last edited by Trulhammaren; 2008-07-09 at 05:14 PM.
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Jiminy

Jiminy tries to put a happy face on, saying "so it's a grand old adventure for us, is it? Maybe we'll become famous, eh? And years from now the bards will be telling exciting tales of the Adventures of Jiminy and his Merry Band!"

He dives off his chair with a summersault onto the floor and stands up with a flourish and a bow and a wink. "Three hours then. I really shouldn't need more than one."

With that he steps lightly out the door, heading back to the academy to grab the remainder of his gear. He puts on his old leather armour and packs his shoddy crossbow, leftovers from his guild days, then packs up the remainder of his belongings, surprised at how little he'd accumulated over the years.

With everything ready, he leaves the acadamy to head back to the inn.
    Last edited by Shular; 2008-07-10 at 04:14 AM.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

After you all collect your things, you meet back at the Gem Dragon. A lot has changed in the last few hours. Where there was once a small gathering has become a swarm of drunken patrons, all of which are yelling across the tavern. You meet up and begin your trek to the Maruka Highlands.

Along the way, you make a visit to Llardian Outpost about two hours outside the city. Approaching the entrance, you all notice the architecture is different from the rest of Orion. Where Orion is nigh entirely crafted from stone; Llardian is entirely sculpted from wood. It connects with five large towers straddling the tops of peaks. At the entrance, you come across two Elven Guards adorned in chainmail wielding spears and shields. "Hail and good met! What brings you to Llardian at this hour? During the Equinox no less?"

To Storm Bringer:
    Spoiler
    Show

Before you leave your summoned by your Father. After a long talk and a few pints of Luklan Ale, he kindly requests that you deliver a package to the High Priestess Seiko Theroni at Pelor's Temple in the Pelorian Prairie.

22. - Top - End - #22

"the needs of my faith." Thorgirm answered. "The chruch says I must go north, so I go north, Equinox or no. These" Thorgirm waved an arm in the direction of the rest of the group "are a few friends with business in same direction, who have aggreed to keep a priest company on his travels."

Spoiler
    Show

diplomacy! (1d20+7)[18]

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

He looks over the group, walking back and forth taking a quick glance at each individual. "Well, I'm not one to question the Hands of Moradin. However, I am still under Orion Law... I can't allow you through the gates so well armed. If you'll leave your belongings, I can grant you access to Llardian's courtyard level. For supplies, you will need to speak with the Captain. You can find her in the northern barracks. If you seek ale, food, or lodging, there's always the Hikarian."

He motions to another guard and they bring a cart over, "If you can just toss your possessions into the cart you can retrieve them upon leaving. Rest assured, it will be safe in the hold... I don't think we'll see any other visitors."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor is reluctant to part with his staff, but carefully stands it up against the guard's wall. "You had best be careful with that staff, it is worth more... I mean, it is very precious to me."

As they pass the gates, Trevor nods to Thorgrim. "Thank you, my friend. I feel that I could ill provide as adequate an excuse."

"Roger, will you accompany me to the shop? I have need of your 'expert' advice to properly prepare for the next leg of our journey."

Trevor will make a bee-line straight for the store, to pick up supplies and raw materials for the long journey.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-07-23 at 11:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Jiminy

Jiminy stretches after putting his gear in the cart. "It'll be nice not to have to carry all that for a bit." He examines his hand cross-bow, then calls to his friend. "Trevor, if you can find anyone good at repairing weapons, this shoddy thing could use a little work. For when I'm out in the wilderness, of course," he adds as an aside to a nearyby guard. "It's dangerous out there."

"So, I could use some lunch. Which way to the Hikarian?"
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

After all of you are properly disarmed, the guard escorts you to the main gate. He knocks twice on a small section of the gate and a door is opened with two guards standing on each side. As you all filter through the guard to the left draws your attention, "You'll find Captain Noria in the northern barracks," he points to the building with the tip of his spear then continues, "if it's food and lodging you're looking for, head over to the Hikarian," again he points with his spear, "Welcome to Llardian."

Inside the outpost there a few people moving about; it could be the late hour or that many guards are needed for extra duty within Orion itself.