New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The Lost Academy of Khazarum

Ahmed

Ahmed watches the new gnome stagger in and sit down not far from him. Does he have no shame? A little drink is fine, but planning to pass out in the common room... Isn't that a little much? Oh well, not my business, I suppose.

He turns back and listens to the bard play. Not the best I've heard, but still not bad. I was beginning to wonder if tonight would be a bust on entertainment, guess not.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Gliff Addel

At the request for his money, Gliff takes a sip from his flask. Upon finding it empty, he holds it perfectly upside down over his mouth, trying to garner every drop he can from gravity. "Well I guess there is no helping it. I have the money don't worry, and I won't be finishing this alone tonight." He half turns to the room, "I fully intend to share with the rest of those present." Gliff slips his hand into his cloak and takes out a hand full of coins. "Lets see, 10 coppers makes a silver and 10 silvers makes a gold piece, so if I pay in coppers then I need 300 pieces of copper. Don't worry man I am but pulling your leg. Here this should cover the bottle and a room. If it is too much then go buy yourself something nice next time your in town." He slides 5 golden discs toward the nice lady. Once he has his bottle he uses it to fill his flask then turns to the assemblage. "As I said I have no intention of finishing this by my lonesome the stormy eve. Would anyone care to join me?", as he takes his first sip straight from the bottle.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I beg f'yer pardon, good sir, I have misjudged ye." Susan blushes. "I meant ye no offense, ye ken. We have had... problems from folk wi' similar requests. As fer a room, sir, it's but 5 silver a night. If ye insist on payin' such a sum t' us, I insist on fixin' ye a fine meal as part of it. What'll ye have?"

A voice from behind the gnome says tentatively, "If you want to share.. uh... could I join you?" The voice comes from a young, short boy with dark brown hair, the lad who accompanied the old man, now finished with his task of hauling the pair's luggage.

"You may not, Jonathan."

The boy jumps at the sound of the old man's voice and looks chagrined. Idogbe rises from his chair, still puffing on his ornate pipe, and walks over to the gnome and his young charge.

"I do not mean to ruin your party, my revelrous little friend, but young Jonathan here is under my charge, and I would keep him from hard drink just yet. As for me, I find that hard drink clouds my mind too greatly, but I should be quite pleased if you would join us in our conversation and merrymaking this evening.

Stormy weather is the finest to make joyous in, and I have already promised tales to Miss Arabelle there. It is not meet to share company with a man and have him drink alone, though. Mrs. Whitby, a bottle of fine wine, if you please. I believe we shall make an evening of this after all."
    He looks to young Jonathan, the poor boy's face downcast and sullen. "Of this, Jonathan, you may partake."

The boy smiles weakly. "Thank you, Master Idogbe."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Jaron steps from the stage still shaking water off of himself. I know where I went wrong. The innkeeper is right, wet strings means slipped notes. He plops down in front of the fire and works on the drink given to him by the innkeeper's wife. Jaron does his best to listen in to the various tales brought by the other adventurers and travellers.
    Characters: Pakar

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Gliff Addel

"Ah my good boy, I would gladly share, but I cannot go against the wishes of your guardian. Yes sir, I shall join you. If you insist ma'lady, then I shall have some of the wonderful smelling sustenance you have prepared. I enjoy surprises, so feel free to prepare whatever you believe suites my fancy." *sip* Gliff descends from the stepped stool and joins the remainder at the fire. "Ah, the warmth of flame. Twas truly a great day when our ancestors learned to control such a wondrous thing." *sip* "Oh, where are my manners. I said I was sharing and so I shall." *sip* Gliff sets the bottle upon a nearby table for any to claim. "Gliff Addel at your shervice. Oh shluring a bit I am. I shall have to shlow down."
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

Seeing many of the other patron's gathering by the fire, Ahmed finishes his meal and heads over to join them. He takes a seat on the edge of one of the long benches nearby.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Prazik Wynn

As the rest of the patrons began to gravitate towards the fire, Prazik finished off the last of his meal and lifted his mug. Taking a sip, he watched the group in the center of the room over the lip of the tankard. It had been a long time since he had been around friendly company at night. Usually, if he had a companion at his fire when on a job, it was the thief he had been sent to retrieve.

Deciding that he might as well make the most of it while he could, the ranger stood quickly and headed over to join the others around the fire. Leaning on the wall a couple of feet away from the fireplace, Prazik nodded to the others and continued to sip from his mug. A half-buried memory reminded him to put a slight smile on his face so that he wouldn't seem churlish or dour. Hopefully, he could get used to living with other people again.
    Adjudicator

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Zak:

After a fairly short time standing near the fire, Zak decides he's dry enough - even with the rain cooling things off, the weather this far south is still a bit warmer than he was used to in Wyalla. He moves to the nearest unoccupied table and clambers up onto a seat on the far side, facing toward the fireplace.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

After having sat at the fire for some time, Jaron will reach into the small case and pull out an ornate violin. After taking a moment to check the strings, he will pull back on the bow and play a soft tune. (avoiding what happened last time I am going to chicken out and take a 10 which still gives me a 22 perform).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

The kitchen door flies open, revealing the back of Mrs. Whitby as she bustles backwards into the common room, carrying an enormous platter of dishes in one hand and a large platter of drinks in the other. "How kind of ye, good masters, to gather in one place. Makes the task of bringin' ye yer orders so much simpler," she gibes, smiling heartily and setting the trays down on the one of the empty tables near the crowd by the fire. Picking up dishes and drinks in both hands, she quickly empties the trays, serving the various patrons their various orders with a startlingly quick efficiency. It is rather clear Susan Whitby has been at this for a long time.

She lays a large steaming bowl of piping hot beef soup, rich with vegetables, in front of Annikko with one hand, sweeping up Prazik's empty mug of ale with the other, and replacing it with a full one as she reaches for yet another dish. With her graceful movement, it's very nearly a dance but for the businesslike manner with which she does it.

Clink. Clink. There was ale now in front of Jaron and Zak. A gentle clack-clack later and there followed a half a roast chicken each in front of Zak and Ahmed, delicious golden smells rising with the steam. The innkeeper's wife sets a very large plate of bread and beef and mushrooms fried in butter and herbs in front of Gliff with a hearty wink before turning back to the huge platters on the empty table. She lays a bottle of dark red wine and two glasses next to the old man before laying a large tray of fresh fruits and cheeses and small, round loafs of bread on the low table in front of the fire. "An' a little something for ye all to share, if it please ye. A fine time and a merry evenin' to ye all, my honored guests."

Between the sudden sight and sounds and smells of the now-appeared meal and the pleasantly soft but lively bit of music the bard strummed out, the inn, quaint and charming enough though it had seemed earlier, now seems a fine place indeed, and a pleasant surprise to find such a place in this no-where barony of Pillslydale.

"Ahh," sighs Old Idogbe, sipping the dark wine with his pipe in one hand, "I do believe if it weren't for the sudden tempest, we should have passed this place right by. In that light, the rains were a fortunate occurance indeed." He chuckles, a low, rough sound, and puffs contentedly on his pipe.
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-07-28 at 08:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

Hungry as he is, Zak still eats delicately, cutting tiny bites off the chicken and lifting them to his mouth one at a time. His eyes widen in pleased surprise at the first bite - it's better than he'd really expected to find at a little roadside stop in the middle of nowhere - and a few minutes later he waves the innkeeper's wife over to collect his empty plate before getting up to fetch a piece of fruit from the table in front of the fire.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Annikko

Annikko lets out a little shriek when the soup is placed in front of her. Oh nooo! Garl prohibits the slaugther of animals for food! I'll be excommunicated! What have you doooone? She gives Mrs. Whitby a sidelong glance before giggling. Just kidding. We both know this is exactly what I ordered. Thank you Ma'am! She spoons a bowl of her soup and blows on it until it cools and then sucks her spoon dry. Mmm, good!
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Gliff

As his food is placed before him, Gliff goes to it with a gusto. Without making a pig of himself (barely), he quickly devours the food placed before him. Without speaking he periodically offers the rum bottle to those gathered with him, before sipping from it. As he completes his meal he leans back in his chair, "Ma'lady, truly you are worthy to serve kings, queen, and the brats they call princesses and princes. Were such fair placed before me regularly I would surely grow roots in this chair. Sir Bard, take a break from you playing and join us. Your playing is wondrous, but even the artist should eat."
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

Ahmed eats the chicken slowly, savoring each bite before swallowing. Despite picking up and eating the chicken in his bare hands, he still somehow manages to appear somewhat refined as he eats. "Would one of you all mind handing me a bit of bread, please?" he asks.

Imagine that, the drunk could take root in a bar. he thinks with an eyeroll. Still, that doesn't stop him from agreeing with Gliff, "Yes, the hospitality here almost has me hoping that the storm will keep up for a day or two longer, giving me reason to stay on," he adds.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hearing Annikko's words, the innkeeper's wife first blushes terribly, then the color drains out of her face completely, as she tries to splutter an explanation. Before she can, the prankish little gnome completes her jest, and Susan bursts out laughing. "Oh, ye are a tricksy little one, ma'am. Ye near stopped my heart for a moment!" She laughs again, and it is a lovely, merry sound. Smiling widely, she graciously accepts Gliff's compliments with another blush and a short, single laugh. "Ye are too kind, sir. I'm not fit t'serve no royals, no, but I thank my dear mum, so I do, for she's the kindly mistress who taught me to cook."

From his seat by the counter at the door, Jonas pipes up loudly, patting his large and rotund belly. "I thank yer mum, too, love!"

Old Idogbe stands, turning to face the gathered patrons, back to the large fire. "So," he drawls, puffing once more on his large and ornate pipe, "you would hear a tale. You are in luck, my friends, for I know a great many, a great many of which I have witnessed with my own eyes, for I was once a tale-collector for many years. The only trouble is in choosing an appropriate yarn. Have you folk any requests or particular tastes? Adventure, romance, horror, mystery, comedy. Tales of how great Kings came to be, or came to an end. Tales of the vasty underworld that stretches the breadth of both continents. Tales of the wild and exotic islanders. Mythology, folklore, accurate histories... I am a tale-spinner; choose if you will."
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-07-31 at 10:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Annikko sips her cider and leans back in her chair, smiling at the old man. Romance please. She glances at the other patrons and grins sheepishly. Sorry. It's kind of an obsession of mine. Teehee.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Having finished his song by this point, Jaron will head back over to the fire. That was a bit playing it safe. He thought to himself after having played a song that was very well practiced. Hearing the bard offer a selection tales, "It would be a pleasure to hear a tale from any fellow bard, I would not mind a romance myself."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

"Tell what tale you will, master bard," Zak calls out from the table where he sits, still nursing the mug of ale which arrived with his dinner.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Gliff

Taking another sip from his rum bottle, after again trying to offer it to those around, "Apparently a romance is the request of the night. Far be it from me to offer any resistance here. A romance kind sir. And be snappy about it." He ends his words with a lopsided grin, letting all know he will not be a surly drunk this evening.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Romance, you say?" croakes old Idogbe. "Hmm... I haven't had someone request one of those in a long, long, long many years... folk these days are all asking for adventure and blood and death. However, I think I have just the one..." From under his rust-colored robes he brings an ancient-looking but exquisitely preserved mandolin, far too large to have been concealed beneath his garment. He begins to strum a slow and mournful waltz as he begins the recitation of his tale in a rough, almost croaking voice, bitterly sad but eerily beautiful.

"Of all the tales that I've been told
    there is a one that's ages old
    A tale of love and tragedy
    The sad, sad tale of Avonlee

Long before the Old Ones fell
    a land was formed from ocean's swell
    'Neath virgin skies, from virgin seas
    rose the verdant prize called Avonlee

Her air was clear, her waters fresh
    her beaches jewelled for miles stretched
    Her people, stern and proud and brave
    were masters of both boat and wave

They were a nation put to sea
    by those ancient gods of pre-history
    And the ancient gods looked down and smiled
    For they did love that little isle

There was a woman of beauty rare
    with sapphire eyes and golden hair
    A diamond smile and ruby lips
    the princess of the land of ships

And all desired that maiden's hand
    not just for wealth or pow'r or land
    For between her smile and thrilling stare
    the girl was more than passing fair

Fair indeed was Coraline
    men sought to have her for their queen
    Suitors from each foreign nation
    tried to woo by wealth and station

Tried to win her by shows of power
    save one, who tried but verse and flowers
    Who sent his gifts in secrecy
    a poor lad from the scullery

The poor boy knew he had no chance,
    but his heart had melted with one glance.
    He knew at least he had to try
    lest unfulfilled his heart should die.

Yet fate holds sometimes some surprise
    as it weaves the threads of human lives
    And he won the heart of Coraline:
    the servant and the future queen

Oh! the scandal, had any known
    had any sign of their tryst shown
    They kept their love from prying eyes
    with careful plans and cunning lies

But Coraline, his heart she broke
    for love is meant for common folk
    And noble blood flowed in her veins
    and duty urged her to that pain

She consented to be wed
    to a suitor, royal-bred
    Who seemed, of all, most kind and fair
    the brash young prince of a distant where

Yet when she reached his kingdom's shore,
    his fair, kind manner was no more
    And for many days she sorely wept
    though her royal duty still she kept

But being little more than slave
    eventually her willpow'r gave
    And fled she back to Avonlee
    to beg forgiveness on benden knee

Though his sad heart by her was harmed
    he welcomed her with open arms
    But both knew that since she had fled
    the two of them would lose their heads

So together climbed the lands great spire
    the volcano that would be their pyre
    And hand in hand stood at the top
    and cheek to cheek, their bodies dropped

Not even the mountain's liquid fire
    could match the heat of their desire
    And the gods were touched by their devotion
    sealed their tomb beneath the ocean

The waves, they grew; the waves, they crashed
    and onto Avonlee, they smashed
    The surf devoured her bejewelled shores
    and Avonlee was soon no more.

They say that deep beneath the sea
    there's still a land of Avonlee.
    A cold and dead and empty land
    Preserved forever in ocean sand.

And so the land rests with the Coral
    and from this tale take you this moral"

here the slow threnody strummed by the mandolin stops, and he speaks the last lines in a low, slow voice.

"That love is meant for common folk
    but every man is common."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

As if dangling on the end of each word, like a begger watching a gold coin spin, Jaron finally blinks. "Wow. Tales I have told. Songs I have sung. Nothing reaches deepest in the hearts then the ones about love and loss. Such a tragedy and yet to have found such love in the first, such a blessing." He brushes a patch of silver out of his face. His face changes slightly from admiration to that of curiosity. "Each tale has truth and lie within. 'And so the land rests with the Coral.' Where would this coral be?"

22. - Top - End - #52

Annikko

Annikko is sniffling. Why... why can't the world just learn to let lovers be? She bursts into tears. Sorry... that was beautiful. Of course, she had certainly heard better bards than the old man, but the message was one that went straight to her heart, and she couldn't help but get teary-eyed at a tale of tragic romance.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

Ahmed looks over to the gnome, considering for a moment putting a hand on her shoulder to try to console her. Nah, some women are like that. Crying at the drop of a hat. She'll be fine.

He looks back to the bard, trying to ignore the gnome's sniffling. "I'd be interested in hearing more about this place too, if there's anymore you know. A land preserved under the sea," he pauses for a moment, further contemplating the idea. "I'm not really a sailor, but I'd be interested in seeing such a thing. Though I guess if this rain doesn't stop, we'll be in an inn preserved under the sea."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

The old bard seems surprised by the interest his tale generated. "I never delved too deeply into the story of this particular tale, for the world is filled with mysteries, and to chase each down would take a thousand thousand long and full lifetimes. It had always been my understanding that the Coral of the final line is meant to reflect the name of Coraline, the heroine of the piece. That she is named and her lover is not seems significant, but she is named as royal and he common, so perhaps it is coincidence. Whatever the case, I haven't any certain idea where such a land may reside, if it does at all, but if I were to guess, I would think it somewhere near the isles of Divheya. The coral of those tropic waters are quite famous, and if any island of Old were to have been swallowed by the sea, there seems a likely place. In truth, it is not a thing I have set great importance in finding... I have enough unfulfilled quest in my life as it is..."

He drifts off, looking thoughtful. He replaces his magnificent instrument under the concealment of his robes, and it is clear from the lack of a large mandolin-shaped bulge under them that there is some magic at work there.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Gliff

Gliff offers his somewhat dried handkerchief to his fellow gnome. His rum seems all but forgotten, the bottle about half full still. "Sir, I do say that is a quite interesting tale. Islse of Divheya you say? Would anyone happen to know how far that is? I'm growing rather board of guarding caravans, and a nice whirlwind trip may be just what I need."
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

"Even if we were to not find this island that you speak of; to explore the reefs of Divheya would be interesting story."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh, indeed. There are great adventures to be found everywhere, if only you know how to look. In the matter of Divehya and its reefs, I can tell you from personal experience that they are breathtaking.

As for distance, it's about 1600 Arcs from here, though it'll certainly be a longer voyage, unless you have a boat moored and waiting just at the shore, here. I'd say the best way to get to Divehya would be to charter a ship from Tansier, the largest port between here and Bay Abilon, just at the south edge of Wyalla, at the mouth of the Rhesh. It's about 300 arcs to the north, no more than five days' walk. You should be able to pick up a boat to Divehya from there, and then it's a bit more than a week's sailing, depending on the ship you sail with.

If you are truly interested in making the journey, my young ward and I were headed to Tansier, we would be happy to accompany you that far. However, it's there we would part ways. We are something of pilgrims, you might say, and it has been a long enough pilgrimage already, but that is perhaps a story for another time."

((ooc: Arcs are the standard unit of measure for distance in Corridan, and are about 1/3 of a mile, the archaic unit of measure of the Old Ones (equiv. to our mile). In Gol-Mar, they measure by the Rhal. 3 Arcs = 2 Rhalla = 1 Mile))
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-08-14 at 09:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahmed

"It might be an interesting journey. I'm always up for a trip to a new place, and I have nowhere better to be at the moment. What, might I ask, is so interesting in Tansier that you would make a pilgimage there? So many people root themselves down in one place, those places that can draw people from afar usually have something of great interest."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It is not the city of Tansier that draws me further yet on, for though it has much to offer, it is rather a mundane city. It is nothing more than what I have already told you: the largest port between here and Bay Abilon, and a place in which travel to the rest of the world may be found. If we journeyed to Tansier together, our paths would part for no reason other than that we seek different destinations."

The old man eyes the ranger long and hard for a moment, seeming for the first time anything other than a charming and learned old storyteller. It is suddenly clear that he must have done more than travel and sing during his years on the road, and that perhaps those days are not entirely behind him. Then his visage softens and he smiles.

"I tell you this now in all earnestness. There are many such 'places of interest' in the world, and though they may contain great treasure, material, spiritual, or otherwise, beware them. Beware them all. Such places are often as full of dangers as wonders, but more than that, for I see that you are a man who does not flinch at danger. Beware their siren song, for they will catch their hooks in your heart and mind and draw you to them. Many men hear the song, and more men crash on their rocks than reach their shores..." as he trails off, he looks quite tired, and quite old.

"I tell you these things out of personal experience, my young friend, for I am one of those fools on a quest. All my life have I sought one such place, and for many years the burning thought of my destination eclipsed the magic and wonders of the journey. Even now, in my older and wiser years, I fear its hold is too strong on me. Once I longed to uncover its secrets, to drink of its ancient mysteries as greedily as a babe suckling milk. I think now, simply, if I should find it, hold it in my eyes, and be struck dead the next moment, I should die a happy man."

He glances at his pipe to discover it has gone out, forgotten in his hand as he spoke. Sighing, he pulls out a wooden match, strikes it alight on the bricks and rekindles his pipe. He takes a long, slow draw, and puffs out a thick cloud of smoke. In its swirling depths there is a vague and misty shape of towers and ruined buildings, and the old storyteller gazes longingly into it.

"Mm. My spirit my be willing, but my legs and feet are those of an old man whether I like it or not. You young folks seem to have many questions for a road-weary geezer. Before we continue, I feel I must sit."

With that, the mysterious ex-bard walks over to one of the large round tables next to the hearth. Without a word, his young ward follows him and takes the seat on his left. Glancing back, his master gestures at the empty spots at the table. "Well? There is room enough for all you eager listeners."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Zak

"Very well, Master Bard." Zak grabs his mug and hops down from his seat, pausing to snatch some bread and cheese on his way to the table where the old bard has seated himself. He reaches up to plunk his mug on the table a third of the way around from the bard's seat, then hoists himself up into the chair before turning to face Idogbe. "Say on - since you clearly have more you would say."