New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Bath's Random Banter, dripping with daring deeds of dastardly deipnosophists

Silly, light reading. Very well-developed world/universe. Constant comment on the world, different nations, human foibles, etc., and also sideways looks at fairytales, superstition, theatre, beauracracy, leadership, law, time, etc. I know a lot of people don't actually like it - I think one guy said it's "not clever" or something. There's lots of different lines that focus on different things. If you give us an idea of what you're into, we can point you in the right direction. I strongly suggest that if you find you don't like one, you try another in a different set - there's so many there's bound to be some weaker ones, and finding one on something you're interested in can really make it click for you.
    So yes, but I'm not gonna talk it up at you kinda

Mel Gibson's sister and her family used to live across the road from my mum <.< His nieces were awesome. Haven't talked to them since they went back to the US

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

Default Re: Dr. Bath's Random Banter, dripping with daring deeds of dastardly deipnosophists

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I know a lot of people don't actually like it - I think one guy said it's "not clever" or something.
    He's not clever! Where does this guy live? I'll straighten him out.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2008-06-27 at 09:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think anybody famous would scare me in that way, but I'd've liked to have met Aldous Huxley or George Orwell.
    This avatar by Phase.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

I've gone snowboarding with Tom Hanks before. Well, not with him, but we were going down the same overpriced mountain at the same time. He's one of my favorite actors. I'm more interested in meeting musicians though... I've met a lot. I've met Sigur Ros, Built to Spill(they live here though), the Alkaline Trio's Matt Skiba (cool dude).

I want to meet Robert Smith from the Cure and ask him how he ends up writing such depressing music when he's been with the same girl since he was 14. Also, I'm listening to Burn by The Cure, which might be the best Cure song.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Phase, read some Pratchett. There are weaker books, but overall it's one of the best, well-developed universes with some of the best crafted characters I've read.
    Plus it has Death in it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Terry Pratchett. That is all.
    And yeah, I'm home 'ill'. Except I just had to walk about two or three miles in the rain (which I knew would come before Mazey Day) so I'll be ill pretty soon.
    At least it's pretty much only videos today. Literally. French - we're watching Chocolat, but the one about some place in South Africa. Medieaval History - A Man of Four Seasons. Classics - Potatopus Rex (Oedipus Rex with spuds). Eng Lang'll be doing the newspaper and I even did seven ads. Eng Lit'll be a vid as well.

@^: I envy you. What were the top two like? I mean, Pratchett and Patrick Stweart, how cool!
    Aww'd. You shouldn't have to walk in thre rain for miles

Same on the last lines. How were they like? I envy you!

Also, is it bad that I currently have 5 youtube tabs open at the same time?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    Also, is it bad that I currently have 5 youtube tabs open at the same time?
    Depends, how many of them are Rick Rolls?
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Ceikatar!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

To anyone suffering depression: Listen to songs off Everybody Loves a Happy Ending.

I am right now. The songs are sad... But they make you happy. They're strange, but beautiful.

Here's one of the songs.
    This avatar by Phase.

10. - Top - End - #100

In that case, you are perfectly fine and could actually do with a few more tabs.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

11. - Top - End - #101

Well, I've managed to survive another year of living. Go me, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

darn you, i could have been there if i had not been totally exhausted from work.
    Also, I prefer ‘queen of argyll’ better song overall.

Also pratchett rules. No other way to state it. You know I was in an English second hand bookstore a few months ago, big one two, and was shocked I could not find anything by him there. Guy behind the counter commented that people don’t get rid of their pratchett books, ever.
    Last edited by YPU; 2008-06-27 at 10:17 AM.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Well, I've managed to survive another year of living. Go me, I suppose.
    It's your birthday?

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Guy behind the counter commented that people don’t get rid of their pratchett books, ever.
    I've noticed that, too. If you ever see one, snap it up.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    It's your birthday?
    Yup. Turned 17, I have, I have. But this age doesn't have any good class features, so I'm not very ecstatic.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

I just noticed that Dragonprime is from Assachusetts, which is just a hop/skip/jump away from me, geographically speaking? Any other playgrounders, besides Jannex, close by?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

17. - Top - End - #107

To be specific, I'm in Lexington, Assachusetts. Those of you who know your American history should know the importance of this town.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

About Pratchett:

Never read him. I also didn't know about George Carlin before he died, I am yet to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail and I'm still not finished with H2G2.

So, to hell with all you mainstream people, I'll read some Battle Royale instead.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

CurlyKitGirl: Try to talk your classics class into watching Up Pompeii as an example of Roman low comedy. You can even claim it with a straight face--Roman comedy was farce. (We came sooooo close to having it accepted. Would've been a pain to try to get it off of the TiVo and into a class-friendly format though.)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Months... and months... and months of waiting and... oh...
    This past months and a bit has been, in a nutshell, the worst time in my life, but this...
    Oh... Brawl... this is the perfect way to make things better.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Actually, here's a questions for y'all: Who would you get star-struck for/about/in front of? Who would you turn all "Ah... guh... bluh... fuh... I know you... I loved you in that thing with the guy and... duuuuuh" for if you came face-to-face with them?
    To be honest, I think there's only two people in the world I'd be like that with.
    This little lady for one, since I would just not know what to do with myself.
    And...
    Matthew Lilliard.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Jibar, for those countries with outrageous censoring policies, who is that girl?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. I got : This video is not available in your country.

And I live in The Netherlands.... Weird

Jibar : *hugs and gives cookies*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. I got : This video is not available in your country.

And I live in The Netherlands.... Weird

Jibar : *hugs and gives cookies*
    I've got that messge sometimes.

Strangley, the BBC once stoped me from visiting a webpage for not being in the UK! These past 16 years have been a lie! I lie I tell you.
    It let me on when I pressed refresh

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

It appears to be Avril Lavigne, for those interested.

Accursed stinging nettles! Why must you sting me so! *Rubs more miscellaneous poultice on skin*

We didn't even find any newts, instead we painted woodlice for some strange reason. Confound the biology course and it's forbidden logic.

I met... the illustrator of Paddington bear once, when I was small. He did a sketch of me eating a sandwich with Paddington watching enviously. It hangs down stairs. There goes my claim to fame.

Stephen Fry came to our school to give a talk, but I was ill. Damn you tonsillitis!

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    I've got that messge sometimes.

Strangley, the BBC once stoped me from visiting a webpage for not being in the UK! These past 16 years have been a lie! I lie I tell you.
    It let me on when I pressed refresh
    Clearly those years were made out of cake.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

26. - Top - End - #116

It appears to be Avril Lavigne, for those interested.

Accursed stinging nettles! Why must you sting me so! *Rubs more miscellaneous poultice on skin*

We didn't even find any newts, instead we painted woodlice for some strange reason. Confound the biology course and it's forbidden logic.

*snip*

Stephen Fry came to our school to give a talk, but I was ill. Damn you tonsillitis!
    Firstly, I laugh at your nettle stings. Then tell you to use dock leaves and/or aloe vera.
    Then I ask how difficult was it to paint a woodlouse.
    Then I suffer an anuerysm for my sake and yours. STEPHEN FRY! No wai! And you had tonsilitis. Which may be a good thing otherwise you'd have suffered tens of hundreds of cyber deaths by now. Well, more cyber deaths.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Firstly, I laugh at your nettle stings. Then tell you to use dock leaves and/or aloe vera.
    Then I ask how difficult was it to paint a woodlouse.
    Then I suffer an anuerysm for my sake and yours. STEPHEN FRY! No wai! And you had tonsilitis. Which may be a good thing otherwise you'd have suffered tens of hundreds of cyber deaths by now. Well, more cyber deaths.
    What of the cyber undeaths? And also, I think I'm immune to nettle stings...

I walked through a smallish patch of them knee-deep, and it barely made my skin slightly pink. And didn't feel like anything...

EDIT:@V I have yet to walk through poison ivy... I've stepped through poison oak, and like the nettles, barely noticed.
    Last edited by randman22222; 2008-06-27 at 02:46 PM.
    This avatar by Phase.

28. - Top - End - #118

Nettles? While those hurt, they're nothing compared to poison ivy. If the devil was a plant, he'd be poison ivy.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

29. - Top - End - #119

Hah, I scoff at whatever plants you may have problems with. I've walked through fields of 3 meter-tall nettle until my sneakers were wetter than the swamp I was in. But it paid off in the end, we made it out of the forest with an undetonated mortar shell from WWII days. The explosive was still in it, but no detonator...it burned pretty. We also found some bullets, but the shell was the best prize.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

30. - Top - End - #120

Ahhh, but would you walk through 3 meter tall poison ivy?
    - St. Thomas Aquinas