New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Townhouse C D20

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Townhouse C D20

There's no sensation of travel. One minute, you're sitting in the idling car, looking in the strange, half-lit windows of the Furniture Store at midnight, the next, you're outside, under the glare of floodlights. A rush of iridescent, silvery mist washes away from your eyes, and you stand up.

You stand in a city square. The buildings have a ponderous look to them. Devoid of curves or flowing edges, they are large and blocky, made from carved granite. Some are columned and many bear carvings of massive eagles, their wings held at right angles. In the center of the square stands a fountain with a heroic-looking figure at its center dressed in medieval armor.

Something red flaps out of the corner of your vision, and at once the details snap into focus. A flag whips in the late autumn wind--red background with a white circle and a jagged black swastika in the center.

"What the ****?" says Hunter.

What do you do?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Townhouse C D20

"Uh..."

I look around me, blinking and straining my senses to take in my surroundings, not knowing if what I'm seeing is real.

Spoiler
    Show
    I figured posting in first-person makes the most sense for this particular game.

spot - (1d20+4)[6]
    listen - (1d20+6)[22]
    Setting: The Chimeric City

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the Calvin avatar, as well as the Pandaren:
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

"Damn," I say. "We really found something strange now."

I try to see what I can, and keep my ears open to any unusual noises.

Spot: (d20+9)[1](10)
    Listen: (d20+2)[18](20)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I rub my eyes.

"Guys, I'm really sorry, but I think I need to get to a hospital. Like right away, because I am ****ing hallucinating."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

"Jesus, is the car totally gone? All right, stay close together. Let's move together."

What time is it? Can I see the sun anywhere? What time of year is it? Do I see leaves on trees? What is the weather like?

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

The weather feels like early autumn, but you can't really see any trees. Wherever you are, the buildings totally block out anything like natural scenery.
    Through the blear of your initial introduction to this strange world, the details of everything sharpen. Distant electric lights cut the night, and over the clumsy humps of the buildings you can see searchlights sweeping over the darkened sky. You can't see the moon, but it is dark enough that the sun must have gone down hours ago. You notice now that the sculpture of the armored figure has a fat face with a square mustache. Most strikingly, a great castle looms above everything else here, dramatically bottom-lit by massive floodlights. Above the drawbridge and portcullis you see a chiseled relief of a massive Prussian eagle gripping a swastika in its claws. On the battlements, you see moving forms.
    Listening, you hear nothing immediately, but then the stamp of metal-shod boots rises from all around, and a loud siren begins to wail across the city. At once, the roads leading away from the square are filled with silhouetted human forms in bulky, black riot gear, brandishing rifles. From somewhere, a voice shouts over a bullhorn in a language you don't know. At once you hear an audible clicking sound over the bullhorn, and a loud, harshly-accented voice begins speaking.
    "This is Corporal Shafer of the Teufelsheim Protective Squadron. You are under arrest."

What do you do?
    Last edited by MoxexPenNama; 2008-06-30 at 06:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

"Mother-f-cking hell," says Hunter, raising his hands.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I put my hands in the air, then say to Brendan (oh my God, I just used somebody's real name on this): "How good is your German? It might be better to speak to them in their native language."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

"Terrible. Is this like a civil war re-enactment or something?"

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

"No--Battle of Hastings for sure," says Hunter.

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

The voice continues to speak over the loudspeaker as the troopers close in.
    "You will keep your hands in the air, stay silent, and do as you are told," says Corporal Shafer. Some of the soldiers train their guns on you while others pat you down. Finally, one takes out a small device with a glowing green screen that reminds you of a cellphone. One by one he passes it over each of your bodies, muttering to his compatriots before finally stepping back in the direction of the Corporal. Then the troopers surround you.
    At once, you are being herded through the city, past silent houses and down the cobbled streets as the soldiers shout at each other in German. Every so often, looking up, you can see still faces staring out at you.
    You are swept along at gunpoint towards the black castle. You cross the drawbridge, a flat slab of some alloy dinged with old dents and welts. Under the twisted portcullis and into a small gatehouse the troopers hustle you, ultimately stopping you in a tiny courtyard with a single, leafless oak in its center. A man in a black uniform, his face covered by a riot mask, approaches you. While you can't see his face, his entire dress conveys a sense of the absurd romantic-gothic, a futuristic parody of medieval armor. With no introduction, he begins to speak, and you recognize his voice as that of Corporal Shafer.
    "You are in violation of trespassing within the territorial borders of the Teufelsheim Protectorate," he says. "How do you plead?"
    At once you realize that there are only three of you now--Hunter is gone.
    What do you do?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

"I can assure you, we had no idea we were trespassing. We have no idea where we are. We have no idea who you are."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I don't say anything. If this is real and they're not LARPing or something, I don't want to be the one that seems to be taking things too seriously. If not... then the world has gone insane and I don't want to think about it.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Corporal Shafer's voice carries only authority without anything like empathy or understanding.

"The Teufelsheim Protectorate is under the direct administration of the Reich. It is an extension of the Reich within the dimensional borders of this pandemia, and as such is subject to Reich law. Political dissidents and racial undesirables--"

He casts a slight sideward glance at Alex before he continues speaking.
    "--will not be tolerated within the Teufelsheim Protectorate. These strictures apply equally to visiting aliens from other nations in this pandemia and interlopers from other pandemiae. Your case will be heard and the circumstantial, hereditary and genetic factors in evidence will be weighed accordingly."

He stops speaking and you hear a slight static hush coming from inside his helmet. What do you do?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I look around, confused to the point of feeling dizzy. This seems like some sort of crazy dream, but far too real and vivid.

"What happened to Hunter?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

At this point I'm really starting to get scared. Either these people really are crazy, or... or something very strange is happening.

I have a brainstorm.

"My name is Brendan Detzner." Emphasis on the good, German last name. "I don't have any papers but I would be happy to take a polygraph test to verify my identity. I am seeking political asylum."

Worth a shot.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

"Your genetic screening proves your racial purity, Mr. Detzner. As far as your seeking of political asylum, further interviews will have to be conducted on that account, as I remain unconvinced, given your choice of traveling companions. Free association with untermenschen carries extremely serious penalties in Teufelsheim."

He pauses, and the sound of static breathing carries over the speaker in his opaque helmet as he turns to Alex.

"If 'Hunter' is the fourth intruder in your group, I can only say that his heredity carries with it an abominable miscegenation that can in no way be held compatible with the ideals of the Teufelsheim Protectorate or its father Reich."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

"Fine," I say. "Although you'll probably judge us to be insane. I'm starting to think I'm going insane. You might as well put me with Hunter, because I doubt I'll fit in your racially pure fairyland, Herr Schafer."

I'm starting to think this is all a dream, and as such am bolder than I'd be in waking life.

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Corporal Shafer nods.

"Sadly you may be right," he says. "Your Nordic and Celtic genes are constantly beseiged by the ancestry of lowborn French frontiersman. None of you are of the ideal Aryan stock, and may necessitate sterilization if you wish to live freely in Teufelsheim."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

"Oh, God," I say. "I'd rather you work me to death in a salt mine. Now, where is our other friend?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I look at Brian, then back at the Corporal. "Yeah, f**k this. I'm with Brian. I'm not ashamed of my heritage -- hell, I'm proud of it. My ancestors were just as red-blooded as anybody else's."

I'm not sure this is real either, but insulting my heritage is bound to make me indignant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I look at Alex and Brian, then back at the commandant with a shocked expression on my face. "Pardon me sir, but I think there's been a further misunderstanding. I've never seen these people before in my life."

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

"Again, Mr. Detzner, your motives must be questioned, as I'm sure you'll understand. You will accompany me. The other two will be sent away to labor."

Something in his helmet clicks and he shouts something in German at some of the troopers around him. Alex and Brian are led away at gunpoint, leaving Brendan and the Corporal together in the gatehouse courtyard.

[At this point, Brendan, I need you to roll a Bluff check. Alex and Brian, we will continue your portion of the adventure in a separate forum.]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

((Daddy needs a new pair of shoes- Bluff (1d20+4)[11]))

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Anybody here?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

((Yup. Waiting to get thrown in the hole with the rest of you mongrels.))