New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things That Go Squish in the Night (3.5 Heroes of Horror live)

And what did I miss this time after I left?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

We followed one of the missing kids' scent to a cabin near a lake; disturbing things happened along the way, and the smoke from the cabin was greasy. As we entered, there was a Fortitude or Will save required, and Phantom got a little annoyed with Moment of Perfect Mind.

We've found six of the ten kids, and they're being overseen by some old woman that calls herself Grandmother. She claimed to be in distress.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, we don't know for sure if they are the missing kids, but it can almost be assumed since the scent led us there.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, just as a heads-up- as you know, not everyone can make it to every session. So, we may or may not be bringing in one (or two) players from IRL.

They're great, and they won't be there every time - but it'd be fun for all of us, and it's really not a problem handling more players. Remember when we had 7?

Anyway, tell me when's good for you this week / weekend.

Friday may be off-limits.

=D

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

My availability is much the same as it was last week.

Also, here's Zad's answers to the survey.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character Name: Zadornine Gaspar Alignment: LN
    Race: Human Age: 28
    Hair Color: Grey Eye Color: Grey

Hey, guys. I just was inspired to write up this character survey. You see, alignment is a tricky thing. A lot of players just write shades of Neutral, to give them a flexible edge. I think that’s dumb. Why have all Nine Divines if you only use three?
    That’s why I came up with this survey. I don’t just read the encounters and adventures you play in word-for-word. I love coming up with interesting encounters and activities, and this helps both you and I keep a clearly-defined character, rather than someone who writes Chaotic Good on their sheet but just behaves in a Lawful Neutral sort of way.
    1. Do you have any facial features that distinguish you from anyone else in your race? Any odd scars, tattoos, damages, or other quirks? A mole? Perhaps a tumor or goiter?
    Well, of course! Fight for a while, and you’re bound to pick up a few. I’ve got this slash across my left cheek, this puncture wound on the other, a bastard ripped my lip open here with a ragged knife…

2. What does your voice sound like? Do you have any other voice actors or characters we can compare it to? You don’t need to speak like your character, but it’s kinda fun.

Christian Bale with bronchitis

3. I know where you came from, and why you decided to leave your homeland. But why did you decide to come to Sharn? And why work for a newspaper? Well, because I said so, but dive deep.
    I needed work after the Last War ended, and I didn’t have skills that you’d call marketable. I went where I could to earn money.

4. What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you?
    The Last War ending. Not that I don’t appreciate what it’s done for everyone else, but it really hurt my chances of employment.

5. What’s the very best thing that’s ever happened to you?
    Joining the Wayfinder’s Guild. I was pretty much at the end of my rope, but now I’ve got a job that pays plenty well enough.

6. If you weren’t the adventuring type, what would you be doing right now?
    Za? Combat’s all I’ve known…guess I’d be a guard, or a thug or something. I’d prefer something that gave me reliable income, so most likely a guard.

7. Where was your character born?
    In the town of Wasser, in the Blade Desert
    8. Have you had any formal schooling, and where?
    Nope, learned from my parents, picked up a few things as I’ve moved around, but never been in an academy or anything like that.
    9. What are your parents like? Who are/were they, and where are they right now? Are there any special events that involve them that shape the way you are now?
    My parents are mercenaries from Wasser; they’re presently serving long-term contracts for a minor Talenta tribe. No real single events, but being raised on the battlefield definitely has had its share of special issues.

10. Where are your parents right now? Alive? Dead? Perhaps they went on a pilgrimage and didn’t come back? Or maybe they lost their lives in the Last Wr? Most mortals in Eberron don’t simply die of ‘natural causes’, though some still do.
    They’re still alive and kicking, thanks.
    11. What is your character’s opinion on stealing?
    If it’s there, I’ll take it. I won’t take bread from the poor, steal from someone I’m working for, or any really unreasonable garbage like that, but given the chance, I don’t see anything wrong with taking something that someone else didn’t guard.
    12. Under what circumstances do you feel killing is unacceptable?
    Anything beyond a contract or self-defense. No kids or civilians.
    13. Whether you’re ranger or not, many people hate one group or species over any other. Do you have such a ‘favored enemy’? If so, what?
    Mmm…nope. I’m an equal opportunity executioner.
    14. Now for some morality questions. Do you espouse your alignment as a choice, like Miko from “Order of the Stick”, or is it a natural way to express the way you act?
    I don’t really try to uphold any “alignment,” I’m just me.

15. In a climactic battle with a mummy lord, you fall to the ground. As the undead menace approaches you, you grab a torch from the wall, and desperately swing it at him, lighting his wrappings on fire. What do you say?
    Just the wrappings? He’ll probably keep going, so probably just something like, “Well, crap.”
    16. What does your character think of phantasmal and fantastical stories or tales? Even in Eberron, a man saying that “he fell from the sky, and is here to do gods’ will” seems somewhat off. Tales of truly preposterous power or methods of travel that seem to defy the laws of magic and science might seem logical to some, but what do you say?

Hell, why not? I won’t give ‘im my wallet, but there’re stranger things I’ve seen. Only time I’ll show any skepticism is if it’ll matter to me.

17. Your party has learned information on the Daelkyr – powerful, unearthly and positively aberrant beings. A man in Thrane claims to have more information. As you wait for the next caravan at the transit station, a beggar asks you for 10 silver. Right now, you need all the money you can get, and you’re a bit short for cash – but the beggar is polite, but very persistent. What do you do?
    I scare him off, with whatever threats are necessary. He can get his money from someone without use for it.

18. You and your party have just finished the one required random encounter per overland travel (since more than one gets boring), and you wander into a hamlet in southern Aundair, ready to restore some of that Constitution damage. As soon as you enter the hamlet, you see a pale-skinned man running from a huge, standard-issue angry mob. “Help me! Help! Quickly!” he yells to you. You’ve never been to this town, and you don’t know what’s going on, but the crowd seems pretty angry, and you don’t have time to ask what’s going on. What do you do?
    I knock his arse out when he gets close, but stop the mob from tearing him apart ‘til I know he’s a vampire, or something. I won’t be party to killin’ civilians, but neither will I let some chump get the better of me ‘cause I’m so good-hearted.

19. Word on the street is that a local psychomancer has discovered a method to mass-produce “Mialee’s Potion of Detect Thoughts,” allowing anyone with a few silver to read others’ innermost thoughts and learn their deepest secrets. What does your character think of this situation?
    Gotta get me some of that!

20. Your group is traveling through Aundair, passing through plains and fields. While walking down a dirt road, a shadowy woman in a blue cloak and hood stops you. According to her, you have committed terrible crimes. She is under orders to arrest you and bring you to Fairhaven, Aundair’s capitol, but refuses to give you any more detail about her mission or the nature of your crime. She readies her weapons and prepares for combat. What do you do?

I kick her arse. What, every loony that feels like pulling a weapon on me’s entitled to my time?

21. In Thrane, you meet up with an old contact. In the café you meet him and a friend – a paladin of the Silver Flame. The contact is gregarious and helpful, but the Paladin harps you about your lack of dedication to the Flame, and the “unending tortures” that await you. You think you hear him say something quite disparaging about your own religion. How do you respond to the man?
    I agree that hating whatever gods exist ain’t in my best interest, but argue that falsely claiming his faith is worse. I tell him that ‘til I see some genuine miracle, not just magic that someone did through his faith, I ain’t changin’ my opinion of the gods.

22. Your group boards an airship bound for Argonnessen based on the contact’s information. As you pass over the ocean, there’s an explosion, and the elemental breaks free. Your lifeboat lands safely, but you are separated by the tides by the other two (which seem to be drifting towards Argonnessen). Your lifeboat was designed to hold 15 men, but there just so happens to be a few very large people on the lifeboat – and you’re overloaded by a good 10 people. Of them, a gnome and man are perfectly lucid, but bleeding out, and have a good chance of dying. The boat is steadily sinking, and throwing them overboard could keep the boat afloat. What do you do?
    Check for any sharks, or other nasties that could kill someone in the water. If there are some, give the bleeders a hearty shove. If not, take turns with the other healthy folks floating alongside the lifeboat.

23. Your lifeboat washes ashore on the mysterious continent of Sarlona. From the looks of it, you’re in the hostile nation of Riedra, too. You quickly make your way to the city of Rhiavhaar. Over the course of the next few weeks, you take shelter in the slums and learn how transport works.
    The only way to leave Riedra is to own a Writ of Passage, or passmark. One passmark gives clearance to one person and up to 5 accompanying guests. Passmarks aren’t tailored to one specific person, so they can be used by whomever possesses one. During the course of a few sessions of play, you accumulate 3 pass-marks. However, you’ve also met a number of people who could really use them.
    A. An agent of the Brelish government with information on the Inspired, desperate to escape back to Breland.
    B. A woman and her two children, in need of escape to Q’barra in search of shelter from debt collectors, out to collect from her dead husband (Your Sense Motive tells you that a portion of the debt is her own gambling, too.)
    C. Two purple-eyed Drow women offer you a rare and reusable crystal. According to the elves, you will ‘defenestrate the toughest of foes, at the expense of just a piece of paper.’
    D. A fellow adventuring party consisting of a human wizard, Halfling rogue, and a rabble of dwarves in indiscernible class ask you for a passmark. They have little to offer you, but ask for one in the spirit as a fellow adventurer. Besides, they say, their quest is important.
    E. A powerful-looking Warforged covered in scars and trophies of war offers you 1000 platinum pieces for a pass-mark, no questions asked.

As stated, you have three passmarks available. It is completely up to you how to use the three in your possession. Who do you give them to – and why?

I give one to the Brelish agent, and the other to either the Warforged or the drow, whichever’s offer is worth more monetarily. No reason to trust the adventuring party; they want my pass, they better explain what they want for their quest. The Brelish man could save lives.

The last I keep for myself, and let the gambler woman follow along with me; I got no place better to go on land, and I might be able to get another airship in Q’Barra.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, then, in that case, anyone here good for Thursday?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

I can be available at 7:30 CST.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, well, right now, Sucrose is the only one who's told me when they're free.

Hello? Are you guys subscribed to this thread? I was trying to play on Thursday.

But that's okay. I mean, it's a campaign, and it takes time, effort, and energy - and I'm enjoying it. I want it to keep going...

Well, unless everyone decides to perk up at once, we'll try for... say... this coming Tuesday, perhaps?

9. - Top - End - #99

Note to self: subscribe to thread.

I'm okay for either day, I think.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Er, sorry. Thursday wouldn't have worked for me anyhow. Worked all day and night.

Tuesday ought to work (or any day next week, not weekends) as of now. However, I'll almost surely be spending one or two days getting the AF physical and swearing in next week (and then heading out in October sometime). And I won't know until tomorrow which day(s) that will be.

Hope I can make the next session though! This campaign is superb.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Tuesday, again, I can be here by 7:30 CST. (I have a Tai Chi class Tuesdays and Thursdays)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I might not be available until a bit later than anticipated; I took my bike to a repair shop today, and they said that it might not be done until some time Tuesday. I need to pick it up as soon as possible.

Still, I might be able to get it before my Tai Chi, so don't let this alter your ideas too much.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

All right. All right. All right.

Argh! Things are all going on at once!

Okay, let's start from the top.
    1. I'm about to leave to go back to school. That happens the 15th. I'll have plenty of access to a computer there... I hope.
    2. I'm in the middle of wrapping up Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, Shadows of the Last War, and participating in 2 other games. So, yeah. We're really cramming all the D&D into one - oh, actually, there's two more on the GitP forums - that makes 6 games right now. Which is okay.
    3. I'm busy. But I want to play. So, the issue is balancing times.

Okay. This monday, or maybe tuesday, I'll be playing Ravenloft - hopefully we'll finish the last thing before the castle.

Tomorrow, or more today, I'm playing a 4e campaign. I don't like 4e as much as I used to. It's great to think about and play, and it's really easy - but honestly, I DO NOT enjoy making characters for it. Plus, it's really really difficult to have a backstory mesh with your attributes - at least, when your DM is closed-minded and competitive.

Monday, I play another campaign. No, really! D&D is not my life! IT's just - well, I'm in a lot of stuff!

Tuesday is when I'm shooting for Ravenloft.

Wednesday, Thursday - not Friday - Saturday, Sunday. All great. Please, please, please, we're going to do this! We're going to have another session, I'm going to have interested quotes and bits, and we're going to enjoy it, dammit!

-feedback? Funny bits?
    Subscribed to thread?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Been subscribed to the thread for a while now; I'm available on Wednesday, but every day after that until the 16th is bad for me.

I can be available on Wednesday at any time after 5:00 P.M. CST

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, then. Methinks we'll be a-playin' on Wednesday.

16. - Top - End - #106

I'm open tomorrow. But I'm headed to the cities to take my physical (& the DLAB) and swear in Wednesday. Thursday I'll be back at an unknown time (but probably not too late). Saturday/Sunday I'm working 10-6:30 Central time.

So not Wednesday, please. I'd really like to make the next session.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay

This isn't dead! This isn't dead! This isn't dead! This isn't dead!

I'm just in a state of flux. I'm going back to school - which is one thing. On another level, I spent a while looking for apartments - and due to a crazy set of circumstances, didn't. I also couldn't get a single in the dorms this year - which is okay. My university's not too bad.

BUT - but I'll still be having the game. Just... we're not dead! I have a campaign, and numbers - ARGH!

Okay, a few things. Number one, although the story arc you're in will last 4 more sessions or so, after that, I realized I don't like writing horror as much as I did when I started this up.

But it'll still be the darker, more atmospheric side of Eberron.
    If you still have any interest in this at all, leave a post. I promise you, after I move in on Friday the 14th, things'll get back on track. I know the drill. I have a computer, and wireless. I just need you guys.

On an unrelated note, I'm from the year 1902.

18. - Top - End - #108

D&D is almost impossible to do survival horror with, anyway.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not impossible.
    But very tough. I mean, it's good for one adventure at a time.

20. - Top - End - #110

Still highly interested. I love this campaign and I love playing Quigley.

Also! As of last Thursday, I'm now a sworn member of the USAF. I'm expecting to head to basic training sometime in mid-October to early November (although the actual date is still unknown). If we keep at our current usual rate of 1/week, I'll be able to make it through at least the end of the arc.

As for scheduling, I'm working this Friday (12:30-9), Saturday (8-4:30), and Sunday (10-6:30). All times are Central, and I'm not sure about next week's schedule yet (but I'll probably be pretty open).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay~! Well, Chronicled, I wish thee the best of luck!

Knowing that, right now, we are looking at playing over the weekend.
    BTW, I just finished Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.
    That was a good campaign.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

I am also still interested. As I indicated earlier, I wasn't available to post for a while.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great! Great great great.

How's Friday for you? 8? 8:30 PM? Maybe 9, if needbe?

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom.exe View Post

This Friday is no good for me.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom.exe View Post

No conflicts here; sounds like we'd already be down a player, though.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-08-15 at 01:46 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, then, how are you guys for tonight?

Is 7, 8 okay? Or if not then, when?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Argh!

Okay, okay. Chronicled is leaving soon, and - well, it seems as if we've lost a player or two. Maybe.

Uh... well, either way. I really, really want to have another session. Most of the issues I had before have been resolved, so I'm looking at an open-ish week...

Let's just arbitrarily say Thursday or Wednesday. There has got to be someone out there who will say "yes"?

28. - Top - End - #118

Big work schedule update, gogo!

Spoiler
    Show
    Wed 20th: 7-3:30
    Sat 23rd: 8-4:30
    Sun 24th: 11-7:30
    Tues 26th: 7-3:30
    Wed 27th: 4-8
    Thurs 28th: 7-3:30
    Fri 29th: 8-4:30
    Sun 31st: 11:30-8

All times are Central, begin in AM, end in PM.

So any day this week works (ideally with a day or 2 of warning); Wednesday or Thursday sounds is just fine. I still have likely (no guarantees of departure date) 2 months before I ship out, fortunately.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, well, that sounds fine, then.

This coming Wednesday, then... if that's all right with you, I'm going to say we'll start at 8 or 9. Why so late? Don't worry about it!

But yeah. More leaning to 9.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

I can come on Wednesday or Thursday as well.