New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Keep On The Shadowfell-IC-TQ

Leoguard

"I will leave examining the detail of our quest to thee, my companions," Leoguard states, as he looks around at the various people in the room. "Before I rest, I would know this town and any others within who need a warrior's help." He hen nods politely to everyone--other than Melkor, who he just looks at for a moment as though saying, ".... Bye" in a way not exactly polite, but not so much that you could claim it to be impolite. This done, he leaves the church, each step a loud clang as when he entered...

Leo explores around town. In a way, he's looking for trouble... Drunken, or just wicked/stupid, men harassing a woman, an old man having to carry something heavy a long way, corrupt guards extorting merchants, or even children beating on a smaller child, anything his sword or his strong back is good for, Leo is willing to use it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Leoguard is merely looking for people to help, whether it's beating up punks with too many hands, or helping an old man carry something heavy.

Streetwise - (1d20+6)[22]

If he finds something: You, the DM, could either make a note of it as we leave, "Leoguard saved a merchant from the corrupt debt collectors... now, back to the plot:" or we could do a side-quest through PM (continuing the main quest at the same time as the side-quest is played out).
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael speaks to the High Priestess before she leaves. I would also be grateful if you could find some additional provisions for the road.

Vaelnae spends the night meditating in the courtyard, among the plants and greenery there. While she rests she thinks again of the words of the prophecy, mulling them over in her mind to try to understand their deeper import.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0] What do the words of the prophecy mean, that "This sphere has lost its outer layer"?

[roll1] What could be the nature of "a crack on the world... spilling darkness and death"?

[roll2] Who is "on the realm of hell... the one who is lord of undead"?

ooc: I realise assisting the best person with the checks would be better but oh well... gotta play the character

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur spends the night before the main altar to Avandra, her mind awash with the possibilities of the coming travels. She ponders over the prophecy that brought this strange group of individuals together, and wonders for a moment what possible plan her goddess could have for such a strange and motley assortment of persons. She dismisses this thought as impious and settles back on the cool stone floor for a night of meditation and dreams.

Aur arises, refreshed, the next morning, and spends a full hour in prayer before Avandra's altar. She smiles as she feels the newly familiar radiance of Avandra course through her. Looking out of one of the temple windows to the east, she sees the first rays of dawn creeping over the rooftops of the town, and, with a small twinge of regret, leaves the temple and heads for the western gate. She stops briefly at a just-opening bakery to purchase some sweetbreads for breakfast, buying extra for any who might join her at the gate.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

Wonderful grey druid (and will o' the wisp) avatar by LostOne!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Melkor

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is the high priestess going to answer our questions about compensation for her husband's safe return?

"I thank you for the offer of hostpitality," Melkor says to the high priestess, "But I believe I will find my own lodging for the evening. I mean you and your god no disrespect, but I don't do much like being in a temple unless I have to be, or if the Raven Queen commands it."

Melkor gather's his belongings and puts his cloak on, pulling the hood well over his head. "I will see you all at the west gate when the sun rises."

Melkor will make his way first to the market area of town before finding a tavern with lodging.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know the cost of lodging if it's different than the average cost in the PHB. I'll make a note on the character sheet of my dagger purchase.
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Bal'Koth, IC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am sorry i know little of this burial site my husband is looking for, he often leaves with telling me little, for he only hears rumors, and myths. I can tell you that it was south of Winterhaven, not far though.

Leoguard
    Spoiler
    Show
    You travel amounts the city, much of the town is dark, yet for the most part safe, everything seems to be normal, yet not quite, you had heard of this town having a large night life that seems no more. You go to several taverns in order to try and stop some bar-fights, yet it seems that guards seem to be posted at every inn, tavern and place of interest. You are however able to find a merchant who was beat up, to pack up, and find a place to rest for the night.

Aur
    Spoiler
    Show
    This town seems oddly bogged down and at a loss of beggars and people to give food, while talking to the town you find that the lord and mayor of the town left three days ago and is now at the main city, his business was urgent.

Vaelnae
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very well, The high priestess says
    OOC: Not sure what rolls you got so I rolled for you at home, you got
    Q1:After thinking long and hard about you studies in the fey wild, you believe that there was once a force which was put in world of Mel-adrin this world that protected the people and the planet from evil or chaos, not something has happened to the shield leavin Mel-adrin unprotected.
    Q2:This was some sort of portal you think, a gateway to the realms of darkness and disappear, at certain points in Mel-adrin whick some thing may emerge from.
    Q3: You are unable to recall anything from this is any books.

Melkor
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am sorry but i am not a rich person, I spend much of my time helping others, for I can give you only 250 gold.
    You find a Tavern/Inn not 300 meters from the church, It cost the regular amount of coin as in the book,
    The bar seems quiet, and no one seems to ask questions about you hood, or tail, you also see two guards at the door each quiet.

The dawn rises, the sun is creeps over the north, and illuminates the town, it is six o'clock, and the days begins cool, the sky has but wisps of clouds, and the road beneath your feat is hard.
    You each reach the west gate at about the same time, each of you prepared for a three days journey to Winterhaven. Several guards give you funny looks at the odd group of people, an Eladrin, a Dark human, a Dragon born, a Plain human, and a Tiefling. Several minutes later high priestess Laurel come from church carrying two large backpacks, as well as a wood box with dimension of .5X1X1.5 Feet.
    She greets all of you:
    Hello mighty adventurers, it seems that it is time to leave, I have brought you fifteen days of trail rations in these two back packs. As well as this box,
    which holds two potions which will be able to heal some of the worst wounds a sword can deal.

She opens the box, and inside you see two flasks inlaid with silver against a green cloth. The two flasks hold blues liquid that viscosity is quite high, moving like molasses.
    I hope these gifts will sever you well, these prophecies do not bode well, please hurry, there is also fifty gold in that box, use it wisely, I worry you do not have much time.

You then head out on long three day travel, the road is hard and easy to travel for the first day, you then reach a cross roads on the end of the first day, one leads forward and the other leads north, there is a sign one points north the other points further west and reads Kings road, this road is in much worst quality, and the sun is setting you decide to find a good place to rest out from the road get not to deep into the forest. Everything seems to be normal in the night, as each of take a watch, only the calming sound the the forest are present. Many of you dream that night picturing your own version of darkness and death, you friends and family lost to the undead. You deduce that it is two hours till the sun rises and none of you are able to gain any more sleep.

OCC
    Spoiler
    Show
    You many now talk among your selves, learn about what each of you do. Reveal what you wish to the others and hopeful gain some trust.
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-06 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to add in traveling details.
    Running Keep on the Shadowfell
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Erradran Silverhand - Arena ranger in the paragon devision
    Jerren Stilsmite - Revenge driven Cleric of St. Cuthbert

6. - Top - End - #36

Leoguard

"I propose we make a camp-fire," Leoguard suggests (still armoured with his shield ready), then collecting the wood for said fire. He scrapes the bark off some of the wood, then using his flint-and-steel to try and ignite the exposed wood. After a few minutes of unsuccessful attempts, he turns to get dryer wood, but then he remembers the dragon born... "If it is not rude of myself to ask thee, Bal'Knoth," he says, putting his flint-and-steel away, "could thou, perhaps, use a breath of thy dragonfire?" Should Bal'Knoth comply, Leo will take a few steps back, guarding the women with his shield should he really consider the flames dangerous.

After the fire is lit (and regardless of how it's lit) Leoguard sits down with the others, not minding the hard ground with his thick suit of armour. "I was wondering," he began, trying to start conversation, "what skills do thyselves possess?
    "Thou, Bal'Knoth, look to be a warrior of fine quality--but there be something different about thy nature that perplexes me..."
    after talking with Bal'Knoth, Leoguard turns his attention to the girls*. "I was also wondering about the maidens whom accompany us. Be Aur a Sword Sister, or Battle Maiden? Is the wise Vael here to advise us alone, or does she have some sorcerous talent?" After talking with the girls, he looks to Melkor for a moment... but then enters conversation with Bal'Knoth, Aur and Vael again, telling them of how he got his wonderful map, and how it should help them pick the better road at sunrise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+1)[3]
    In case it's needed to convince Bal'Knoth.

*: On the matter of "girls", SwordofUriel, any reason you decided to play one? I've been considering playing one myself, to better my understanding of how to portray females with writing (I'm trying to become a writer).
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

7. - Top - End - #37

Melkor

Having packed away his share of the rations in his pack, Melkor defers to the cleric of Avandra, Aur, when it comes to the healing draughts.
    "I believe you would be best suited with these," says Melkor as he looks around to the others for objections.

Melkor is silent for the most part of the group's journey on the first day. He seems comfortable on the open road, often walking with his hood down, exposing his horns except when other travelers pass them by.

Melkor laughs at Leoguard's request for Bal'Knoth to light the campfire. "Perhaps you aren't familiar with how a dragonborne's breath works. Just like their larger breathren, they don't always breathe fire!" With some amusement in his voice Melkor turns to Bal'Knoth, "I hope our ironclad companion did not offend you with his request."

Melkor pulls some flint and steel from his pack and holds them up, showing them to Leoguard, "Sometimes the most mundane tasks are best resolved by mundane means." Melkor then turns to light the fire.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure as to the exact timeline, if we should be carrying on from the second morning or the first night. Sorry if I'm jumping ahead.
    Also everyone should be sure to copy their post before hitting submit since these boards frequently become too busy. I've lost way too much time retyping posts...

Edit 07/09: removed next day action as quoted:
    After a night of restless sleep, Melkor awakens early and notices that the others too are either already awake or also stirring earlier than expected.
    "First it's bloody prophecies, now it's restless nights. I have the sinking suspicion that rest won't be coming easily for us."
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-07-09 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Fixed colors and grammar

8. - Top - End - #38

Leoguard

For a moment, Leoguard's visor points at Melkor. If the warlock could see the warrior's eyes, he may have felt a little intimidated--or, perhaps the huge form of steel was enough even without eye contact..."I'm well aware that not every of a dragonborn bares flames," the small tower of steel claims, coldly as he keeps his gaze, "my people have fought with the dragonborn before, and I've been trained in the ways of their breath somewhat. I was curious whether a dragonborn could spare a small amount of their breath without wasting their best weapon, and meant no offence." Holding the stare a few moments longer, the warrior believes the conversation is done, and turns back to the other three.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate - (1d20+6)[13]
    While Leoguard isn't openly threatening Melkor, this is just to see if Leo can make him back off--for kicks.

[OOC:] Remember that you can just press the back button to go back to the posting thing.
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-07-08 at 01:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur sighs to herself as she observes the simmering tensions between the strange black-armored human and the elegant, but disconcerting, tiefling. Pulling her tent from her rucksack, she smiles at Vael as she removes it from its protective oilskin.While our fine swordsmen argue, perhaps we could see to getting this camp into some sort of order? I have spent many nights in the wild, and have made camp in far worse places than this. She looks up at the dragonborn, noting his capable and rather serene features. Perhaps I could prevail upon you, my new friend, to gather some extra wood for our campfire here? In times such as this, we do not wish for our fire to burn low. Also, we should all work out some sort of watch schedule. I would be happy to take first or last watch, as I spend much time in meditation, communing with my goddess. Aur smiled as the black-armored human proffered his strangely drawn map. Avandra would smile on such a rendering of the wide world, good sir. Such a wonderful depiction of the many roads we might travel is a sign of good favor. And, in response to your question, I am naught but a simple servant of my goddess. I follow her guiding stars, and strive to bring Avandra's radiant light and healing to new lands. With a sidelong glance at the tiefling, Aur lowers her voice, speaking quietly to Leo. And if I might say such, my new companion, we will be spending much time together on these roads. It might be meet to put aside whatever hostilities you bear towards our horned compatriot, as I am sure we shall face much greater dangers than a friendly tiefling as we travel.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

10. - Top - End - #40

Bal'Koth

Bal'Koth looks up from his crouch without expression as Leogaurd addresses him, pausing in the act of crumpling dried leaves and scraping together small twigs, then allows his gaze to pan to Melkor as he jumps in before the dragonborn can answer, claws now once again gathering detrius from the dirt.

"Ssparkss light no logss, axxe." he finally responds, though not unkindly. "Young flamess musst feed on ssmaller prey." He places his newly finished tinder ball in the ring of stones, and lines it with the tinest twigs in a cone rising to a point that leaves only a small gap on one side. Each layer of twigs becomes thicker, and he is soon reaching into the meager pile of firewood and snapping sticks to length. Before long the wooden structure rises well above his knee, twice as tall as it is wide, at which time he retrieves his own flint and steel. He begins a flurry of strikes, showering a curtain of sparks into the gap in the structure, which coat the dry, fluffy tinder and begin a tiny blaze. As the heat, trapped beneath the insulating wood, soaks into the thinnest materials, they reach the heat of fire and burst into flame. In moments, the voracious young fire sends licking tongues to twice the height of its fuel and causes the travellers to fall back from the heat, before the pyramid shifts and collapses inwards into a slower heart of bright warmth. A smile of genuine pleasure peels Bal'Koth's lips back from his fangs, before he adds "Asz to your ssugesstion..." with a turn away from the party, a sizzling crack and eruption of illumination fill the air as a bolt of white light joins the dragonborn's mouth and a nearby treestump, which is obliterated, sending lumps of rotting wood flying. An amused smirk seems to form as he turns back in search of shocked expressions.

With that, Bal'Koth nods at Aur's suggestion and steps softly away into the brush, returning periodically with various thicknessess of dry wood and breaking them to size.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you guys ever started a fire without a lighter/match? it's one of the most joyful experiences ever. I <3 my firebow.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael takes her share of the provisions and stows them in her backpack with a word and smile of thanks. She shoots one long glance towards the gold and the healing potions but defers to Melkor's judgement in the matter.

We shall return, or send word to thee, as quickly as we may. The graceful Eladrin woman bows in farewell. Farewell, milady. May the gods of all our peoples watch over us.

Vaelnae watches the men of the party arrange the campfire with a look of gentle amusement on her face. As Melkor and Leoguard face one another, her eyes turn to the fire site and she gestures and murmors the first word of an incantation before noticing Bal'Koth's preparation. Seeing the loving care with which he crafts the fire, she steps back and stops her incantation with a rueful smile.

She starts inperceptively at Aur's address before turning and smiling warmly back. Of course. She assists Aur with her tent, before turning to her own pack. I need no bedplace myself to rest, though I carry one in case I am stricken by wounds or sickness. My kin need not sleep as you do. I can stand watch through all the night, and though sometimes my thoughts will wander far I shall remain as aware of dangers and foes as I am now.

Though I would appreciate the company through the long marches of the night. Two pairs of eyes are better than one, also.

In answer to Leo's question Vael laughs a little before briefly pausing in thought. I have some knowledge of the magely arts, it is true. With a gesture an iridescent gemstone appears in her hand. She places this in the palm of Leo's hand, whereapon it remains for a few moments before vanishing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edit: Prestigitation

I do find that my wits serve me better than blade or spell. She sighs and gestures to her empty sword-sheath. Betimes both wits and steel fail me it seems, and I am left to fall back on magery alone. I hope that this will be enough, she finishes, a touch drily.
    Last edited by RavenGirl; 2008-07-08 at 02:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

LEOGUARD

The warrior is about to reply to Aur, but his attention is interrupted by the Dragonborn's reply.

After Bal'Knoth's demonstration of fire-breath, Leoguard comments, "Then I assume that thou cannot use they breath more sparingly..." half to himself. "Thy flaming-breath is certainly more impressive than any other dargonborn's I have yet to have seen."

As Vael places the lovely gem in Leo's hand, he lifts it to his visor for closer inspection. When it vanishes, he jerks abruptly in what appears to be a mobile-defence stance -- ready to jump out of the way of a mages fireball, for example -- with his right hand griping his shield and his left holding his axe backwards... With a second-long pause, Leo puts away his weapon and shield (in the wrong places, at first) and exits his battle-stance, quite embarrassed. "I--I am certain that thou is quite adept in thy skill..." he finally mummers. Upon Vael finishing, Leo quickly snaps in -- believing her dry tone is due to his absurd reaction -- , "Thou mustn't worry! What thee lacks in a blade I can gladly help with, and thy talent with speech shall serve us better than we could've hoped," After the burst of words, he seems quite stunned with awkwardness, as to whether he was helping or making things worse... Standing still for a while, the armoured suit braces himself for reactions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+1)[8] Just for the heck of it.

This is the most fun RPing I've had for a long time in a DnD game ! You guys all play your characters excellently. Am I doing OK with Leoguard?
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-07-09 at 06:42 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Melkor

Melkor sits in silence for most part of the evening, crossing his legs as he sits on his bedroll. After eating his meal he takes some time cleaning the dirt and dust off of his armor. He applauds after the dragonborn shatters the dead tree with his lightning breath, a justified smile creeping along his face.

Melkor laughs at the startled Leoguard in honest amusement but says nothing as he continues to clean his equipment. He looks around at the others, observing them in an almost bird like fashion without interfering with them.

He stretches before laying on his roll, his tail once again arching with his stretch, "Wake me whenever it is my turn to take watch." With that he lays himself down, still awake as he listens to the sounds of the night animals, looking to the sky. Barring interruption he drifts off into what will become a restless sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I edited my above post. See spoiler for more information

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael draws back herself in surprise and alarm at Leo's reaction, eyes wide. She then blinks several times, taking in Leo's awkward posture and comically mishandled weapons. Giggling a little behind her hand, she controls herself with an effort. Uh... um.

Uh... fear not. Vael is obviously still trying not to decend again into laughter that the proud warrior might take the wrong way. I shall reserve my skill, such as it is, for enemies of our band.

Come now, though. We are among friends and comrades-in-arms here. If thou are determined to wear thy armor always in case of attack, might we at least prevail upon you to draw back your visor? I do confess I am afire with curiosity as to whether man, elf, or stranger folk stands within. She smiles calmly in reassurance, seeking to calm the jittery fighter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1D20+7)[24]

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm really enjoying the RP and everyone's characters playing themselves out, but feel free to move everything on to the next day when it suits so we can RP being freaked out at these horrible dreams *grin*

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

You all awaken under the dark sky, the sleep being too disturbing and the thoughts of darkness and death cloud your minds. The fire has died down as the last person on watch drifted into sleep, but just recently awoken. The moons in the sky are all full, and even in the dark light is present. Sounds of the forest are all around the camp, but when usually calming and pleasant, they are cold and uncaring. Everyone looks around the camp thinking to find several other still asleep, yet all have the same look. Some try to hide their uneasiness but are ineffective.
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can continue your conversations your still doing, or you can skip ahead, the night passed uneventfully, but there was the whole deal with the dreams. You then can continue on your second day to Winterhaven the city where Douven Staul is located.
    On another note: Is everyone enjoying the game? This is my first Play-By-Post, and is the RPing good enough if is too much? too little, or just right?
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-20 at 07:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

LEOGUARD

Somewhat taken aback, at first, by the idea of removing his visor, Leo institutes several arguments, excuses, and denials about why he won't or can't show them his face. All the sentences, however, as in the past, end after the first two or three words. So, drawing a large sigh, he takes off his helmet--revealing the face of a child...

While the manner of the warrior's face, and his height, would make him seem as old as sixteen years (or more) careful study of his face -- particularly his eyes -- shows he couldn't be any older than fourteen.
    Pitch-black, healthy, clean hair reaches almost to his shoulders, styled in a way which rarely obscures his vision. From his pale and handsome (though young) face, two dark eyes shine, innocent, but pained. One thing that looks particularly pained, is a scar, running an inch long down his right cheek--a thick, deep scar, somewhat fresh as it is still a dark red...

The boy pauses for quite some time, regardless of anything said or done by the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was hoping for a situation where Leo would have to take off his helmet, thanks Vael! So... how many of you knew of Leoguard's (pre-)adolescence ?

@DM: We could always continue at the same time as continuing the RP. Example: "At the campsite, Leo had said, 'XYZZ Zeekybuggydook *World Explodes*,' in reply to Melkor's, 'It's over NINE THOUSAAAND!!!'.
    Back in the present, Leo attacks Splugg the goblin by trying to poke him in the eyes. Splugg, however, blocks--so Leoguard does the two-handed poke (Who gets the reference?)!
    "
    Sort of thing.

You're doing a great job with the RPing, some DMs really don't bother at all... The only question I have is about your unusual writing grammar--is english a second language for you, or perhaps you typed it in a hurry? Don't worry, though, I mess up my typing ecstatically plenty of the time *oyu souhld see how badyl I mess up wen type to fast(.

PS: I hope we get into a random encounter on the way to Winterhaven, I can't wait to actually play out a 4th edition fight .
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-07-10 at 07:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Bal'Koth

As the party rises to the grim morning, going about their awakening habits in an air of mild discomfort, the brown Dragonborn rises in silence and strides away into the bush. Any concern on the part of his party is eased when, shortly after vanishing from sight, the sound of his footfalls stops.

The huge reptilian warrior kneels in a loamy accumulation of fallen leaves, one palm resting against the bark of an ancient tree, eyes raised into the branches and the clouds beyond. The early morning is a time of contemplation for this devout wanderer, and he spends a short time in communion with his God.

After reinforcing a state of harmony and peace within, the sound of a large creature moving about returns to the camp, announcing the return of their new companion.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm liking the rp, things will probably become more plot-focused once we feel like we've all had a chance to properly introduce and display our characters. I read Leo's background so I knew he was young.

Last post until sometime the middle of next week.

18. - Top - End - #48

Melkor

After a night of restless sleep, Melkor awakens early and notices that the others too are either already awake or also stirring earlier than expected.
    "First it's bloody prophecies, now it's restless nights. I have the sinking suspicion that rest won't be coming easily for us."

Melkor readies his equipment, "I suppose we should get an early start on the day. The sooner we get to Winterhaven the better."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Genuinely surprised by the revelation of Leo's youth, perhaps due to her inexperience with humans in general, Vael gazes for a long moment at his face before, helpless to stop herself, she reaches out towards his painful scar. Catching herself before her hand makes the boy flinch, she draws back with a rueful smile.

There. It can be good to let down our guard, once in a while. With a long, sympathetic look she moves back and makes a show of arranging her possessions for the night, with the occasional glance back at Leo to ensure that the young warrior remains calm and unflustered.

Among her other preparations, Vael draws out a crystal orb from her pack which she carries in her hand thereafter.

After this Vaelnae patiently helps the others make their sleeping arrangements before sitting with her back against a tree a few paces back from the fire where the shadows grow longer. Her sole preperation for the night is to remove her long boots and go barefoot in the grass.

Through the night she exchanges a few words with those on watch, and once paces silently for a time. Through most of the dark hours her eyes are half-closed as she sits soundlessly. An extended look reveals a glimmer of awareness beneath her eyelids. A sybillic smile plays on her face: one moment she seems to be smiling kindly, the next with a touch of cruelty. A second glance reveals only an expression of peaceful contemplation.

Her thoughts turning darker unbidden, Vael is for a time unsure whether she is awake or lost in her own imaginings. Her eyes unfocused but open, she stands unheeding whispering a phrase in Elven again and again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not again... Aramil... don't make me go into the dark again...

At once she blinks rapidly and collects herself before looking around at the others. Uncharactaristically she frowns and utters an oath in Elven, before pacing over to the fire and poking it with a nearby stick. Adding any spare fuel, she incants and gestures until the fire flares up brightly once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prestigitation again

Self-possessed once again, Vael paces back and forth, eyes and ears alert to the suddenly strange noises of the forest. She shakes her head, saying Something is wrong... in the feel of the world. I can feel it on my skin, and I like it not.

Looking at Melkor she nods once in agreement. We should resume our journey as soon as possible. We can travel by the light of the moons. Let us see how far we may go by daybreak. It may well be that a new dawn will see us in better cheer.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I knew all along that Leo was so young, but IC Vael had no idea at all!
    Last edited by RavenGirl; 2008-07-10 at 09:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

LEOGUARD

Although Vael reaching at Leoguard's scar does not cause him to jolt--a moment later he strokes the wound gently, sadly... a shudder running throughout him.

In the part of the night Leoguard takes watch with Vael, he finds it very hard to stay awake... Even with all his training, Leoguard was still a child, and needed more sleep. He does his best to keep up a general conversation, but it has short pauses where he must wake himself up again.

Hearing Vael's murmuring, the Boy manages to sharpen his wits to almost full-awareness, as he responds in Elven, "Dlan yumaron rein glah, nhrea Dala-Vael?" Without his helmet on, his voice no long echoes--and oyu can now tell how young he sounds.

Translation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "What troubles you, fair maiden Vael?"

Language notes: [Elven word] [English Translation or Meaning] [Pronunciation]

Dlan – What – dlahn
    Yumaron – “Troubles” or “is troubling” – yoo-mar-on
    Rein – “You” or “Yourself” – ray-en
    Nhrea – Feminine: “Fair”, “Beautiful”, or “Lovely” – Nah-ray-a
    Dala – “Maiden”, “Young Woman” or “Unmarried Woman” – dah-lah

When a question, end sentence with: “Glah” – glah

Later: After the restless sleep, Leoguard agrees with Vael's suggestion of travelling further, though he is obviously still tired from the lack of sleep for one his age.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Heh, so I guess you all knew? I had the impression you guys didn't realize, for some reason or other, and thought you'd all be shocked when I revealed it ICly (next time I do this, I'll keep the character sheet hidden so as to surprise the other players ).
    This should explain quite well to your characters why Leoguard is so "nervy". His inexperience makes him overly "cautious" (and you can't exactly blame him for it).

One question I have for Melkor and Bal'Knoth, though: Why no reaction... ? I was so looking forward to Melkor's jaw dropping at the idea a child was in charge of defending the Spellcasters. And to Bal'Knoth widening his eyes slightly, or whatever unworried reaction I'd expect he'd have.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't imagine Bal to be paying attention during the whole visor-removal incident... he was pretty occupied building the fire. In other news, I'm back. Seems like I didn't miss much while I was out of town, at least.

Bal'Koth responds to the suggestions of breaking camp by packing his bedroll and what small posessions he had used throughout the night. While the foreboding air of the day hangs over him as much as the others, he clearly does not intend to let it disturb his practical mindset.

22. - Top - End - #52

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Wait, so you came back the very day the forums started working again? XD

Don't have anything to p-ost for the moment, merely showing that I'm still playing and not turned off by the server changing lasting so long.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The day slowly brightens till the sun is visible once more. The dreams of the night are still present in your minds. Wasting no time you break camp, quickly putting out the smoldering fire, packing the tents and dawning your armor. The sky appears darker that a regular summer, even with little time in this world all realize the signs of rain. The dark clouds come closer, gaining speed till right on top of you, light droplets of water begin hitting your skin. The light rain continues for only five minutes, then the heavy unyielding rain clatters against you. The unkept kings road quickly turns to mud, making your travel to Winterhaven harder than the previous days travel. The air that was once warm, has become cold. You think the weather could not become much worse, then the winds pick up and blowing your cloaks away from you. The party quickly becomes soaked, if you had not already been. Travel comes but is much harder and in no comfort.

24. - Top - End - #54

Melkor

Melkor shifts his backpack so that this cloak drapes over it. Although his lower legs and tail are now more exposed, hopefully his belongings won't get too wet and his cloak won't gather too much mud.

Speaking loudly over the din of the wind and rain, "I suppose now is as good of a time as any, but before we reach Winterhaven perhaps we should decide upon a primary speaker. Not for every situation, I'm sure we each have our talents..." Melkor pauses briefly as if to think his words out as best as possible, "I just think we should appoint a leader of sorts, give the people of Winterhaven someone to address directly should it be needed.

"I'll be honest, I'm used to dealing with such things on my own. However my experience has been that these," Melkor pulls back the hood of his cloak exposing his horns and hair to the pouring rain, "Don't always lend themselves to receptive situations." He covers his head again and continues, "I recommend that perhaps Aur take that role. Clerics are nearly always welcomed especially out here in these more... backwater areas. If not, perhaps Vael could be persuaded to help in more diplomatic situations. Should things get rough, I'm sure Bal'Koth or myself can step in. Of course these are just my opinions, I do not wish to impose duties upon anyone that does not wish them."

Spoiler
    Show

Melkor caught the exchange between Leo and Vael. Thats the kind of information that Melkor likes to keep quiet about and then use when the oppertunity is right
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-07-21 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added Spoiler

25. - Top - End - #55

LEOGUARD

Leoguard is mostly unworried by the rain. His armour does well to its design and keeps most of the liquid out--whatever gets in Leoguard is quite capable of managing, having spent many nights out-of-doors in such weather.

At Melkor's suggestion of a leader, Leo becomes utterly stiff. Darkhunters are natural leaders, and it was expected of them to lead non-darkhunters. Leoguard, however, had not stayed in his tribe long enough for officer-training, and had no wish to demand his elders that they follow his lead--especially when he didn't know how to lead them... As he begins to understand Melkor was meaning to appoint more of a public-speaker, he relaxed visibly (even in his concealing armour).

"I second the idea of wise Vael speaking for us," he begins (his voice booming again, due to his helmet), then turning to Vael, "worry not if thou wishes not to speak for us, fair maiden--for even if maiden Aur also wishes not to, I will agree to the task in thy stead--I have some talent with speech craft, little though it be."

Spoiler
    Show
    Please forgive any sloppy typing, I was quite tired when I wrote this. I'm still disappointed by the lack of shocked reactions, but meh... it don't matter much.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

As the party travels, Aur loses herself in contemplation of the inclement weather and ill-kept road; her earliest training as a devoted child of Avandra, mistress of travel, screams to her that this party ventures into lands and situations of ill aspect. She absently touches the tattoo below her eye as she contemplates these signs from her goddess. After a few miles, she shakes off her melancholy (and not a few muddy raindrops), and rouses herself to speak with her travel compatriots.

As a servant of Avandra, I have received much training in the ways of the language of the road. We are taught that all beings capable of speech are best dealt with through conversation. I would be more than happy to engage any that we meet in negotiation, but will defer to others should the party prefer it. I take comfort in the silver tongue of Avandra, but I certainly understand if others do not!

Aur notes with a wry smile to herself that all beings on the road tend towards excess formality when first encountering each other, but trusts to the way of her goddess in bringing travellers together. She also smiles to herself as she considers the rather obvious (seeming) infatuation of their young warrior companion with the eladrin, and resolves to see what she can do to bring the young warrior out of his shell (literally and figuratively). She also contemplates the enigma of their party tiefling, curiously pondering his strange arcane allure. She strolls forward and walks with Bal'Koth as much as is possible given the weather, engaging the taciturn dragonborn in light conversation while keeping to the edges of the road where overhanging tree limbs provide some limited shelter from the pounding rain. As the day presses on, Aur goes on her habitual lookout for a suitable place to spend the coming night (preferably a site well-sheltered by trees and set back a slight distance from the road).

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature - (1d20+8)[15] - An attempt to find a suitable (dry) campsite for the evening.

I apologize if Aur's slightly world-weary approach offends any other characters' sensibilities!
    Last edited by SwordOfUriel; 2008-07-21 at 04:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael walks on, drawing her cloak around her as closely as she may. Even so, it is quite clear that she soon becomes soaked to the skin. The young eladrin withdraws into herself, paying little attention to the conversation of the others.

She pauses for a moment to recall what was said before she replies to Melkor's suggestion, her attention having been caught by her name. "Uhh... yes, of course." She smiles at Aur, though but briefly before she shivers again at the rain. "I am certain that our cleric will be a welcome sight to all, and a far more familiar one than such as I. I can speak my part also, if needed."

"Wise Vael?" She shakes her head at this. "If I were so wise I would not be so wet! In truth, I might be the most foolish one of my kind. It was not wisdom that led me here..."

With this she draws back her hood and walks onwards with her head exposed, as thanks to the wind she is just as soaked one way or the other. With arms folded under her cloak in an attempt to keep warm, she contemplates the rarely told drawbacks of an adventuring life, and considers just what she would sacrifice just to be warm and dry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edit-OOC: If Leo is infatuated with Vael, she'll remain horribly oblivious of the fact She's pretty unperceptive of things like that, especially when it comes to humans.
    Last edited by RavenGirl; 2008-07-22 at 12:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Away from the rustle of leaves and tracing fingers of the treetips, Bal'Koth's heavy Dragonborn form seems to pound the mud with each steady, plodding step. Rain pelts his muddy scales, colours an dapples blending together, and streams in rivulets along their grain all without apparent effect on the woodsy warrior. His head remains high and his eyes unfurrowed as he scans calmly but ceaselessly. He gives little outward reaction to the conversation of his party members, though his apparent oblivion is betrayed in the way he casually repositions himself upon Aur's joining him to keep the girl at the center of the knot of warriors. His responses to her tend to be short and without breaking his endless surveying of the surroundings, though they convey only slight detatchment and no disinterest.

He voices no opinion to Melkor's suggestion, trusting that as situations arose, others' willingness and tact would decide his actions at the time.

29. - Top - End - #59

Melkor

"Thank you Aur. I know it cannot be easy to take on such a duty without knowing each of us and where our talents may lie. Hopefully we will each have the opportunity to prove ourselves when called upon."

Melkor seems relaxed, as much as he can be in this weather, and keeps watch from the rear of the party.

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler
    Show
    Just posting to say that I can't think of anything else my character wants to do. If you're waiting to see if we're all done, DM, I think we are.
    Any of the rest of you want/need to do anything before moving on?