Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Keep On The Shadowfell-IC-TQ

Spoiler
    Show
    I asked the DM what was up, and he sent me this reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by the quinn
    I had just gotten back from the robotics meet, then I have to leave again for three days, got little sleep and now the rest of the summer is relatively calm
    So, unless I misunderstand, he is leaving three days and will have plenty of time when that's done.

Let's just RP till he's back .

LEOGUARD

Tramping along, his heavy feet spluttering deep into the mud with each step, Leoguard ponders over Vaelnae's reply. "Thou may have my helmet, maiden Vael--it would keep some of this retched downpour off of thee," Leoguard offers, already undoing several latches. "I would offer more, but my armour is hard to remove and I am doubting that thou could manage to travel in such heavy arms*."

*: "Arms" as in, armour and weapons. "To arms my knights!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a diplomacy check to convince Leoguard not to offer you his helmet .
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The day slowly darkens as the travel continues, the rain and mud had begun to tire you all. Soon, what little light there was begins to fade, with rain continuing to fall. You attempt to find a dry spot to rest for the night but to no avail. Finally after searching till sundown, the party is able to find small group of trees. You all rest, thought sleep does not come easily.
    You awaken having no dreams, yet the clouds have darkened even more. your cloths are wet despite you efforts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am ready to go on to Winterhaven if there is nothing else anyone wants to do.
    Sorry I mis-typed there, I meant I just got back from a three day thing. everything should be returning to normal now
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-24 at 07:49 PM.
    Running Keep on the Shadowfell
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Erradran Silverhand - Arena ranger in the paragon devision
    Jerren Stilsmite - Revenge driven Cleric of St. Cuthbert

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    happy to arrive in Winterhaven at this point, there's probably only so many inane conversations we can rp before it's time to bump the plot along. Wouldn't object to a random encounter en route, but turning up is great.

4. - Top - End - #64

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see much else we can do. We could always do the RPs when we travel to the dragon's graveyard, or wherever it is we go next.
    So, yeah. Onto Winterhaven I say ! A random encounter would be nice, too.
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The travel to Winterhaven on the last day takes even longer than the first and the second. Five miles out of Winterhaven you cross over a large hill, there you have a clear sight of the area, a small forest surrounds the area. Large mountains known as the Carigorn peaks are to the north, and the Gardbury Downs are to the south. You continue on towards Winterhaven and even with the heavy rain it is clear that clawed feet have traveled this ground recently.
    What do you do?
    Spoiler
    Show

only one post till the others respond please
    Light green - grass
    Dark Green - foliage, difficult terrain, hampers vision, grants cover
    Circular brown - boulders, cannot move into unless jump on top of
    Brown, mountains.
    White - Road

Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-24 at 11:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Spoiler
    Show
    The image doesn't show up on my screen, by the way, the quinn. I had to go into quoting your post so I could copy the image link into another tab (it works fine there). Not sure why it doesn't show up normally, though.

LEOGUARD

Upon seeing the clawed foot-prints, the warrior's axe (which was put away so that he could travel better) flourishes into his hand. He quickly lifts his shield as he circles the non-combatants* with his back to them--using his shield as cover for thee whole group should they be suddenly attacked. As he circles around, he looks around the edges of his shield to see what's in front of him, scans trees and foliage for hidden enemies, looking behind himself every now and again to see what everyone else thinks or has to say of this.
    *: In this case meaning, people who don't fight on the front-lines like Fighters and such.

Should there appear to be no danger, Leoguard still keeps his axe and shield ready. He says, quietly as can be managed, "Should we perhaps keep to the trees and undergrowth, so that we are not an easily sighted targets by the evil which hast stalked this area?" Should the party agree, Leoguard takes the front, going as quietly as he can manage in his, normally-clanking, metal suit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+2)[19] To search the area to the best of his abilities.
    Stealth - (1d20-1)[9] To make as little noise as he can.

Leoguard, with the consent of the party, moves along into the foliage on his left (square 9M) continuing along to the next group of foliage should he not notice anything more.

Perception - (1d20+2)[8] For when he reaches the next point he's allowed to make another check.

7. - Top - End - #67

Melkor

Seeing the claw prints in the ground, Melkor calmly and quietly draws his rod and loosens the strap to his sickle. He looks around and scans for danger. He then moves quietly off to the right to check the area south of the road. After a short distance Melkor seems to become enveloped in shadows.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: iPhone + airport wireless = post!
    IC: Perception: (1d20)[11]
    Melkor will move to H4 if possible.
    Gains +2 concealment from Shadow Walk (I
    don't have my PHB with me. Does
    concealment stack?)
    Stealth Check: (1d20+3)[8]
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

A long moment passes before Vael replies to Leo's offer. The look she turns him is initially inscrutable, but softens into a smile. There is no need, friend Leo. There is nothing more that can be done, save making me look rather ridiculous in your helm. At least now I may walk free, if damp, under the sky.

Vael is largely silent for the rest of the journey, yet seems more content. When the party camp she takes a great deal of care to dry out. Once she is relatively dry, she braids her long hair to keep it safe from some of the rigours of the road. Finding it impossible to keep truly dry during the night, she shelters as much as she can within her cloak.

As she is made aware of the clawed prints, Vael draws her glass orb from her backpack, holding it within her cloak. Drawing up the front of her hood with her other hand, she scans the area for the creatures who made these tracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception - (1D20+1)[16]

Should the party not be ambushed immediately, she watches Melkor move off. She nods assent to Leo, and moves a few paces behind him. We should not seperate too far, in case one of us comes under sudden attack.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth - (1D20+2)[6]

10. - Top - End - #70

Bal'Koth

Bal'Koth's sword moves absently into his hand as he crouches at the ground, fingers tracing the air above the prints in the mud, eyes following invisible steps across the ground and envisioning the attitude they move with, the urgency of the stride, the gait and weight of the creature, the things that would make the earth move just so beneath its feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    I miss tracking animals. Pressure releases are mad fun. Wish I had my Knowledge - Nature... I think I'll end up grabbing Warrior of the Wild for it next level. That's over half the party multiclassing in Ranger, all mainly for skill training. Kinda neat.

nature (1d20+3)[7](10) and/or streetwise (1d20+3)[7](10) to identify what made the tracks

perception (1d20+4)[20](24) to learn anything about the trail... where they were going, how fast, if their trail feels meandering or decisive, if one creature is leading the others, where they were coming from... all the stuff that influences how you walk around

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

As you approach, thick foliage and trees block you vision. Your are unable to hear or see anything through the heavy rain. Its is still clear that the tracks lead towards Winterhaven.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone didn't respond or give a square so I gave a quick guess to where you moved. We can now start at the top with everyone moving(telling me which square you went to.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Not sure how combat will work on PBP but we'll see.
    I hope you can see this Conners, (What is your name)?
    Is everyone still enjoying themselves?
    Mike did you have fun to where ever you went?

12. - Top - End - #72

Spoiler
    Show
    PbP combat is generally PCs post in initiative order, and after all the characters choose their actions the DM posts a round summary that fits monster actions in where they belong and describes the events that transpired (including hit/miss/damage type info). It can take a while since everyone has to post in turn... probably 2 rounds per 3-4 days. Games where people can give if-then style posts (if I am in range of X, I shoot, otherwise, I do this other thing... etc) seem to help speed things along.

Bal'Koth didn't want to move until he got the results back for his skill checks. If he gains no info from his study of the tracks, let me know.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Bal'koth
    Spoiler
    Show
    - The claw marks from the mud were extremely hard to analyze but after carful looks, you are able to discover these creatures are of small size and are quick. As for moving my bad, wasn't sure if you moved or not.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur
    Aur tightens some of the straps on her carefully cured hide armor and ties her cloak carefully about her shoulders, freeing her arms should she need to fight. Pulling her shield from its sling over her shoulder, she mutters a brief prayer for the luck of the goddess under her breath and moves in front of Melkor in the thick underbrush.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aur moves to H6. I apologize for not responding sooner, I lost internet access at home.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

Wonderful grey druid (and will o' the wisp) avatar by LostOne!

15. - Top - End - #75

Melkor

From Melkor's shadowy form, an arm extends out motioning for Aur to follow as he moves forward within site of the road and the other half of the party.

Spoiler
    Show

Melkor will move to D11, Shadow Walk +2 concealment.
    Perception Check: [roll]1d20[/roll]

OOC: I'm still away until tomorrow afternoon. I love my iPhone.
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-07-27 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added roll

16. - Top - End - #76

Melkor
    Spoiler
    Show

Rolls don't seem to work when you edit.
    Perception: [roll]1d20+0[/roll]
    Stealth: [roll]1d20+3[/roll]

Edit: for whatever reason the rolls aren't working for me. Quinn feel free to roll for me if you post before I do tomorrow night.
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-07-27 at 07:08 PM. Reason: trying to fix rolls

17. - Top - End - #77

Bal'Koth

Bal'Koth moves ahead on the north side, eyes darting between places for danger to hide and the earth, sweeping his keen eyes back and forth in search of more tracks or sign of where the creatures they hunt may be. He gestures fangs and skulls vaguely waist high to those in his line of sight, signalling to expect smaller creatures.

Koboldss, perhapss crosses his mind, disdain for the small, craven weaklings who pretend at his noble race's station envenoming the thought.

Spoiler
    Show

Bal'Koth moves to P14 stealth [rollv]1d20[/rollv]

perception [rollv]1d20+4[/rollv] looking for more tracks, mainly to suggest where they are, and also to not blunder right into them
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-07-27 at 06:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Spoiler
    Show
    stealth (1d20)[9](9)
    perception (1d20+4)[15](19)

19. - Top - End - #79

LEOGUARD

Seeing the others moving again, Leo decides to do the same. A sudden thought strikes him, and he immediately communicates it to Vael, quietly, "I now move to lure our enemies from their hiding, by travelling along the road with no apparent worry. Take heed, Vael, hide with Aur and the rest--watching for my ambushers and ready to strike them as they me."

Having said this, the warrior sneaks back closer to their starting point, then goes along the road like he has no reason to expect an ambush here, clattering only slightly less than normal, discreetly motioning allies he passes to hide themselves well and wait till something happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless someone does a good job of convincing Leoguard otherwise, he will sneak the the start of the road then begin travelling the length of it normally.

Perception - (1d20+2)[4](6) He takes a quick look around before enacting his plan.
    Stealth - (1d20-1)[12](11) If needed to sneak back to the beginning of the road.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Shrugging helplessly, Vael does not object to Leo's plan. She concentrates on moving stealthily forwards so that she can strike any foes should they appear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move stealthily to L9.

Stealth - (1D20+2)[10]

Readied Action: Cast Ray of Frost on any creature which appears to threaten a party member.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

As brave Leoguard runs over towards the road, he hears no signs of any creatures. Aur, Vael, Bal'koth, and Melkor dart inside of side trees attempting to hide them selves. As Leoguard reaches the 5 small reptilian humanoids with dark red scale jump from behind the rocks, where they were out of sight.
    Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show

Combat rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    State your actions, the way you do them, (i.e. minor action- draw weapon ,Move action-(B6), Attack-kobold (R4) with cleave to (R2), roll attack, roll damage) Role playing is still welcomed during battle

Initiative
    Leoguard - (1d20+1)[15](16)
    Aur - (1d20+2)[17](19)
    Vaelnae - (1d20+2)[15](17)
    Bal'koth - (1d20)[14](14)
    Melkor - (1d20+1)[5](6)
    Kobolds - (1d20+3)[11](14)
    1. Aur
    2. Vaelnea
    3. Leoguard
    4. Kobolds
    5. Bal'koth
    6. Melkor

You hear a series of high picked yelps
    For those who speak draconic,
    Spoiler
    Show
    More them, can't see
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-29 at 01:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Spoiler
    Show
    I think you got the initiative order slightly wrong--Vael should go before me since she got 17 and I got 16

LEOGUARD

Seeing the kobolds make themselves apparent, Leoguard charges at the largest cluster of them, swinging his axe mightily. Kobolds were hated intensely by darkhunters, for their cowardice and ugly appearance, and the fighter had no wish to be subjected to the same trick which almost took his life, on that awful day...

Spoiler
    Show
    Supposedly, I'll charge to E17 and attack kobold D18--unless that kobold is dead when I act, or several of them group together somewhere else (in which case I attack the closest one of them, instead).
    Charge - (1d20+7)[14](21) Damage - (1d10+3)[2](5) On whichever kobold I'm attacking.

23. - Top - End - #83

Spoiler
    Show
    are initiative ties still broken by init mod? if so, kobolds go before me and I'll wait to post my turn

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

At the sight of the kobolds, Aur draws a hissing breath between her teeth and touches a finger to the star tattoo below her eye. Drawing her mace, she hastens to Vael's side, wishing to protect the spellcaster.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aur moves as far as possible towards Vael - I don't have my PHB with me at work (big surprise), so I can't recall the rules on movement right now.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

Wonderful grey druid (and will o' the wisp) avatar by LostOne!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

The cowled eladrin woman stifles a curse at the sight of the kobolds. She gives a slight smile at seeing Aur coming to her defence, yet her narrowed eyes are focused on the creatures before her.

She incants a spell, gesturing towards the larger group of creatures. A dark ball of energy springs from her palm, darting towards the enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Force Orb on the Kobold in D19. There may be additional modifiers to this roll depending on if he gets concealment, and if I have combat advantage. Lets see if I can get this right.

Int VS Reflex on primary target: (1D20+4)[11]
    Damage if hits: (2D8+4)[13]

(Secondary attack on D18 creature if Primary hits)
    Int VS Reflex: (1D20+4)[14]
    Damage if hits: (1D10+4)[9]

(Secondary attack on E20 creature if Primary hits)
    Int VS Reflex: (1D20+4)[13]
    Damage if hits: (1D10+4)[9]

Whether the orb hits or misses, Vael then moves to M9 and takes cover behind a tree, looking around it in order to follow the battle and find a target for her next spell (next round).

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The kobolds shriek as both magic and blades burst out of the trees. The orb of dark magics shoots from Vaelnae's palm. The orbs spins off target as the trees hamper it's path. Yet the globe explodes at it hits the boulder the kobold hides behind it unharmed. Leoguard charges with a great burst of speed and strength, he brings down his battle ax with deadly precision, the blow is a light one yet the kobold shrieks out with a cry of agony as the battle ax strikes it's back and falls to the ground dead.
    Many screams of kobolds fill the air, (Open if you can speak draconic)
    Spoiler
    Show
    They killed yak-tar, call the bosses, kill that man in the plate.

Everyone read
    Spoiler
    Show
    The boulders are quite high and you are unable to see passed them, (i.e. you have no line of sight) the trees make it difficult see, giving cover if shooting through one, and superior cover if shooting through three.

The kobolds begin to act, they look weak but their speeds makes up for it, one charges at Leoguard, which he blocks with ease imposing his shield between he and it, while he turns to block the blow another kobold shifts behind to flank, but he remembered this tactic from swarm training, and quickly turns to deflect it harmlessly away The others spread out attempting to find more travelers, one cries out as Bal'koth is spotted, and throws a javelin, The weapon flies passed the trees and collides with his scale armor. The remaining one stands in the middle of the road and hurls his javelin at Aur, but it stops short and imbeds the javelin into the tree.
    Everyone read
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leoguard
    Kobold(K18) charges to F17,
    charge - (1d20+5)[11](16) Damage: 4
    Kobold(D19) shifts D18 (minor special action), Shifts D17(move action),
    Combat advantage - (1d20+6)[9](15) Damage: 4

Aur
    Kobold(C22) moves to G20,
    javelin - (1d20+4)[6](10) Damage: 4 You have cover from trees +2 AC

Bal'koth
    Kobold (E20) moves to J17
    javelin - (1d20+4)[15](19) Damage: 4 You have cover from tree +2 AC

Kobolds are now are at
    D17
    F17
    G20
    J17
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-29 at 03:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

SwordofUriel
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a human in non heavy armour a move action is worth 6 spaces. Diagonal movement is fine. The bushes are difficult terrain and cost 2 squares to move into. You can probably take a move action and still have a standard left for non-movement.

28. - Top - End - #88

Caught slow to act and far from the action, Bal'Koth's shield comes up as he begins barreling towards the young fighter being surrounded by kobolds. His usually rasping voice roars out strange words as his feet tear the ground and carry him crashing into his companion's assailents.

draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fall before the Storm, cowards!

crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to K15, minor action divine challenge the kobold on F17, standard action charge to G17 and attack F17 with combat advantage.

attack (1d20+8)[4](12) (right? +2 str, +3 proficiency, +2 combat advantage, +1 charge)
    damage (1d8+2)[2](4)

29. - Top - End - #89

Important:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gaaah...... ooooaaah.... As you might be able to tell, I'm groaning in pain. Why? Because I'm very sick.... just using the computer is pretty painful.
    Point: It'll be hard for me to post often, due to the fact I'm so sick and not allowed to use the computer. If I don't act within a day or two, DM, please take my action for me.
    Another point: Please don't get annoyed if I mess up stuff with typing, crunch, or roleplay.

LEOGUARD

Leoguard swings light, but ever so swift, at the nearest kobold which Bal'Knoth isn't challenging.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure Strikon D17 kobold. I'll attack a different one if it's dead by the time I acted.
    Sure Strike - (1d20+8)[8](16) Damage - (1d10)[5](5)

30. - Top - End - #90

Melkor
    Seeing the far kobold come out from behind the boulder on the north side of the road Melkor quickly lets lose a shadowy bolt at it before making a move to the northern side of the road near Vael.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action:
    Eldritch Blast at kobold in J17.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[14] vs Reflex
    (I believe I have Combat Advantage, if not -2 from that roll)
    Damage: (1d10+3)[12]

Minor Action: Place Warlocks curse on kobold at F17.

Move to J10, gain Concealment from Shadow Walk, and Cover from kobold in J17.

Just as a point of order, could you update the map at the end of the Monster's turn?
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-07-30 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Formating change