New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Keep On The Shadowfell-IC-TQ

Aur

Spoiler
    Show
    I apologize for missing that action, I misread the map.

Aur winces as a javelin pierces her shoulder, and she begs Avandra for her favor in this fight. Her eyes briefly flash silver as she gestures quickly at the offending kobold, encasing it in silver flames reminiscent of starlight. A tendril of starlight also strikes the charging dragonborn, infusing him with a hint of power.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor Action - Channel Divinity (Divine Fortune) - +1 on Aur's next save

Standard Action: Sacred Flame at Kobold in G20
    Attack = (1d20+3)[20] vs Ref
    Damage = (1d6+4)[8] (+3 Wis and +1 Astral Fire) and Bal'koth gets 2 temporary HP if a hit

Minor Action - designate the kobold nearest her at the end of her turn as her hunter's quarry
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

Wonderful grey druid (and will o' the wisp) avatar by LostOne!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

As Bal'koth charged the tiny kobold he left himself open to the passing one that just threw a javelin, then he pulled out his spear and thrust it at Bal'koth.
    As the kobold finished trying to stab Bal'koth, he looked up just a half a second to late, as Melkor's Eldritch blast collided with his body.
    Once that was complete, everyone hears a clear word in common coming from the end of the road, NOW!,
    Three kobolds burst from the shadows, two of them wielding short swords and a large shield that looks to be that of a dragon scale, the other is much smaller but holds a slings and a bandolier with three ceramic orbs.
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Aur
    2. Vaelnea
    3. Leoguard
    4. Kobolds
    5. Bal'koth
    6. Melkor
    7. S
    8. D

Spoiler
    Show

(S) moves to F20 from D21
    Attacks Melkor with stone
    sling - (1d20+4)[17](21)(+6 regular, -2 concealment)damage - (1d6+3)[1](4)

Opportunity Attack from kobold(J17) on Bal'koth when he charged
    (1d20+4)[20](24) Damage 4 actually 6 because it crit

D1 moves to H17 from M20, attacks Bal'koth
    [rollv=sword]1d20+8[/rollv] (+6 regular, +2 advantage)damage - (1d6+3)[3](6)+marked

D2
    Moves to M15 from N20,
    Shift M14 from M15 (Special Minor)
    Moves to L11 from M14 (Standard action)
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-30 at 12:00 PM.
    Running Keep on the Shadowfell
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Erradran Silverhand - Arena ranger in the paragon devision
    Jerren Stilsmite - Revenge driven Cleric of St. Cuthbert

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry messed up on that last attack,
    sword - (1d20+8)[17](25) (+6 regular, +2 advantage)damage - (1d6+3)[5](8)+marked(-2 attacks that don't include him)
    Aur, might want to redo that last action.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Spoiler
    Show
    Bah, just wasted my best spell as I assumed I had line of sight. Apologies, I'm really struggling to follow what modifiers apply, whose round it is, etc.

Vael's eyes widen in fear as the new opponent confronts her. She steps back rapidly before fiercely incanting another spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Shift to N8

Standard Action: Ray of Frost vs D2.
    (1D20+4)[19]
    Damage if Hits: (1D6+4)[6]
    If hits: target slowed until the end of my next turn

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

LEOGUARD

Cursing in his language, the fighter quickly shouts, "Bal'Knoth, I must get back and save the others! Try to manage till I am back!" This said, Leoguard swings his axe behind him, under his left arm to attack the kobold at his back--stepping forward as he walk. As he draws his axe back to his front, he spins to his right while still moving, slicing at the kobold flanking Bal'Knoth against the sword-wielder. This done, he moves at full speed back to the others, meaning to protect them from the other swordskobold or die trying!

Spoiler
    Show
    My action is pretty well described above. I use Passing Attack to strike at Kobolds D17, then shift to F16 and attack kobold F17. I then use my move action to get as close to the others as possible. I will either reach J12, or I13, depending on the exact rules of moving through the bushes (it really depends if moving out of them hinders your movement). Even if running toward my other allies provokes an attack of opportunity from one of the kobolds, I'll still do it.

Attack1 - (1d20+6)[6](12) Damage1 - (1d10+3)[6](9) Attack2 - (1d20+6)[11](17) Damage2 - (1d10+3)[2](5)
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-07-30 at 08:39 PM.
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The remaining kobolds duck and skill fully dodge Leoguard's attacks, He rushes backwards to protect to casters, leaving his back open to attacks from the missed kobold. Aurs divine light streaks across the battle field finding its mark, and killing to kobold. The small reptilian like creatures swarm on Bal'koth.
    Spoiler
    Show

Leoguard
    oppertunity - (1d20+4)[2](6) Damage 4

Bal'koth
    Kobold F17 attacks Bal'koth, shift G16
    spear - (1d20+6)[2](8)(+4, +2 combat advantage) Damage 4
    Kobold C17 Charges Bal'koth,
    spear - (1d20+7)[19](26)(+4, +2 combat advantage, +1 charge) Damage 4
    Ouch that make 16 points of damage to Bal'koth (I already included Aur's 2)
    Leoguard makes it to I10
    The trees are difficult terrain (i.e 2 square per 1 to move into it)

Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-30 at 09:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

OOC Question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm confused... So let's get this straight:
    I figured my first attack would miss, but I had thought the second one (17 to hit) would cream the minion. They have 18 AC or more ...?
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I checked and double-checked before posting my action... I'm POSITIVE I could have made that charge without incurring an opportunity attack. I specifically stated the finishing square of my move action in order to clarify that. Should have been able to go left, left, down-left, down-left from there and not get poked in the face.

Either way I'm down over 7 damage (10 if I'm allowed to dodge the opportunity attack) so my turn should't be incorrect. I believe I'm up in the initiative order?

Bal'Koth

The larger reptilian roars in pain and fury, a whirling vortex of steel, fangs, and claws towering over the smaller swarm of scaley ones and barely holding them at bay. Suddenly, his lunging defense breaks the ring around him as the kobolds step back, and the furious dragonborn's scales seem wreathed with lightning as he emenates divine power. A step back behind a raised shield puts his momentarily shocked assailents before him at once, and his roaring maw erupts with brilliant light in a mighty crash. A thick rope of lightning twists and writhes in the air, arcing and snapping from foe to foe.

Spoiler
    Show
    round of many action substitutions!

minor action: lay on hands targetting me. Spend 2 healing surges, regain 7 hp.
    minor action: shift to G18
    minor action: dragon breath, centering the blast on G16 to hit all 3.
    (rolling to hit left to right)
    (1d20+4)[13](17) vs ref
    (1d20+4)[10](14) vs ref
    (1d20+4)[16](20) vs ref
    damage: (1d6+1)[4](5) lighting
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-07-31 at 12:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler
    Show

I think you missed my action. I am after Aur in initiative.
    Last edited by RavenGirl; 2008-07-31 at 10:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100

Melkor

Melkor's brief shock of being pelted by the kobold's sling bullet fades quickly as he notices Leo coming towards him to attack the lone kobold in the trees.
    "You fool! Why did you leave Bal'Koth!?!" Melkor waits for no answer as he points his rod towards the shield bearing kobold next to Bal. A brief curse is whispered, then the ground underneath the armored kobold erupts into flames. Using the immediate confusion to his advantage he moves into the trees behind Bal'Koth.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor Action: Warlock's curse on the shield kobold in H17

Standard Action: Cast Flames of Phlegethos at the same kobold in H17.
    Attack: (1d20+3)[21] vs Reflex
    Damage: (3d10+3)[26]+(1d6)[3] from Warlock's Curse.
    Ongoing 5 Fire Damage (Save Ends)

Move Action: Move to E14. Gain Concealment from Shadow Walk and Cover from trees/brush.
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Bal'koth shifts back and lets loose with glowing bolts of electricity, only the one in the middle was able to dodge to blast. One shrieks as lightning courses through his body, then falling to the ground limp. Melkor then lets loose with hellish fire, but they seems less effective as some fire seems absorbed by the shield, resistant aside he stumbles then strikes with renewed vigor. The small slinger runs as the huge dragon born moves closer. Then pulls out a small ceramic orb and slings it at Leoguard. The other shielded kobold turns its back to Aur and moves to Vaelnae and swings.
    Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

Kobold that Bal'koth and Melkor attacked is bloodied
    Kobold H17 attacks Bal'koth
    sword - (1d20+6)[5](11) damage - (1d6+3)[6](9)+marked

Kobold F20 moves to K18 attacks Leoguard
    sling - (1d20+6)[9](15) damage - (1d6+3)[6](9)+ongoing fire 2 (save ends)

Kobold L11 moves to M9 Aur gets opportunity attack, attacks Vaelnae
    sword - (1d20+6)[13](19) damage - (1d6+3)[5](8)+marked

Last edited by the quinn; 2008-07-31 at 04:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Spoiler
    Show
    This, unfortunately, is part of Leoguard's inexperience (he's quick to rush into things): His code of honour states he "protects women or dies trying," to put it simply. I had hoped I would manage to kill the two kobolds (I would've killed one if not for the fact I misunderstood the rules of it), but I think we'll turn out all right.

LEOGUARD

Noticing Melkor's shouting, the boy is torn as to whether he should actually have stayed with Bal'Knoth. He now saw the two kobolds he attacked were still up... until Melkor and Bal'Knoth burnt and electrocuted them, that is. But now what to do? he asks himself, looking back to Vael and seeing her get att-- Instantly, Leoguard clanks along the track, turning to behind the foliage. There, he leaps into the bushes right beside the kobold shouting, "Rue thy birth on thy path to HELL!!!" and striking at it with all the strength he had!

Spoiler
    Show
    I move up to the kobold attacking Vael, I'm certain there's at least one way to reach it. I go up one square to I12, diagonally up-right to K8, then diagonally down to L9 right by the kobold. If this doesn't work for some reason, please have me go any other way available to me.

The attack...? VILLAIN'S MENACE!! Attack - (1d20+7)[19](26) (6 + 1 flank = 7?) Damage - (2d10+3)[9][9](21)

EDIT: Good lord in heaven those are some fantastic rolls :jawdops: . If this keeps up, you'll all think I'm cheating (note that if you quote someone you can see if it's an actual roll or not).
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-07-31 at 09:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Spoiler
    Show
    Things are getting confusing here. I really think it would be best if we each waited for an "offical" end of round post before we post our character's next turn if we're not going to post in initiative order. I'm completely confused as to what round we're on, let alone who's turn it is, and by all appearances hesitating to post out of htis uncertainty costs us our turn. Extra glad we did a random encounter now, this appears to be an important learning experience.

Also, please let me know if I definitely take that aoo or not, and I'll update my health. I'm down 9 if I did and 3 if I did not. Oh, and that dragon-shield kobold's last attack missed... am I marked?

Conners: I imagine Melkor's complaint is also roleplay. I'm a Paladin, I can tank for a bit :)
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-08-01 at 12:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about posting out of init order...

I call Combat Challenge on the Kobold I just attacked, by the way.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Spoiler
    Show
    I agree with sleepy on the need for official end-of-round posts and keeping to initiative order. I *think*, given the kobolds' attack, that Aur is up, and that her actions will occur before Leo's. So, here we go. Also, I don't think Aur gets an AoO - shifting one space doesn't provoke one.

Aur blanches as she sees the dragonborn reel from the concerted attacks of the kobolds, and sprints in his direction, hoping to reach him before he is felled. Crying out to Avandra, she makes a swift circular motion at the kobolds between her and the dragonborn, willing them to their knees as she whispers a sacred word of healing, willing her powers to heal Bal'Koth.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action - Aur moves to H16

Standard Action - Beacon of Hope (close burst 3, targets self and all in burst). Self and allies in burst heal 5 HP each, and all of Aur's healing abilities heal +5 HP until end of encounter. (1d20+3)[21] vs Will on each enemy, if hit, they are weakened until end of next turn.

Minor Action - Healing Word on Bal'koth - he regains healing surge + (1d6+5)[10] HP

EDIT: If that doesn't bring you back to full HP, my dragonborn friend, I don't know what will!
    Last edited by SwordOfUriel; 2008-08-01 at 09:33 AM.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

16. - Top - End - #106

Spoiler
    Show
    It's +13 actually (on top of my 7 healing surge value), you add your Wis mod from Healer's Lore I believe. Talk about overkill, I was only down 9 hp :D

Going away for the weekend. If I'm unmarked and can shift into range of the weak kobold when my turn rolls around, I'll attack him with Bolstering Strike, otherwise I'll attack the dragonscale shield one. If both are dead by my turn I'll charge the sling one. If I have a minor action left I'll mark the dragonscale shield one (unless I have to not engage him, in which case I'll challenge the minion). If Aur takes damage, use Paladin's Judgement and she gets the healing.

Feel free to npc me further, I'll be back Sunday night. As Aur's turn resolving my character sheet is up to date on hp, surges used, and powers used.
    Last edited by sleepy; 2008-08-01 at 08:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael cries out in unexpected pain as the kobold's blow strikes home. The new sensation of overwhelming physical pain bites home as she moves back away from the kobold. Looking forward she is unsure of the exact position of her allies due to the intervening trees.

Could use a little help here!

Cradling her wound with one hand, her eyes narrow with raw fury. She points her free hand towards the creature and incants another spell.

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 13/21

Shift to O8, Ray of Frost on kobold D2.

Int. vs Fort. - (1D20+4)[23]
    Damage if hits: (1D6+4)[7]
    Kobold is slowed if hits until the end of my next turn.

Not sure if the slowing effect already on it affected its ability to shift, thus meaning it had to move normally to cover a square and thus took the AoO from Aur - guess this is up to the DM!

My action might change Leo's action if the kobold goes down but by the looks of things so far he's not going to so easily!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM
    The kobolds wince as a flurry of daily powers connect. The remaining minion shift to bal'koth's position attempting to bring down the mighty giant. Gaining strength from the shielded one is stabs it's spear into the chest of Bal'koth, but weakened from Aurs blinding light.

Spoiler
    Show

Kobold G16 shifts G17
    spear - (1d20+4)[8](12) damage - 2

FYI: Aur when using an attack that targets multiple creatures make sure to attack each one separately, that is an attack roll against each
    EDIT: sorry for the delay, I was waiting for Leoguard to go after Vaelnae, but he already posted before.
    Initiative:
    Aur, Vael, Leo, wave1, Bal, Melkor, Wave2

Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-04 at 12:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Bal'Koth

The dragonborn's shield walls out the smaller kobold's thrust as he slips behind the leader as it turns to face Aur, longsword whirling through the air to exploit its distraction. The paladin's fury bolsters the cut's strength and shocks it's target with its brutality.

Spoiler
    Show
    The kobold that moved according to the last post's grid reference was from wave 2 (g17) but With Vael being the last PC to act and g16 being occupied by Aur, plus the description implying the minion attacked, I'm guessing that was wave 1's turn, which would make it my action. Sorry if I'm incorrect.

hp: 27/27 (good call RavenGirl)

minor action: shift from g18 to h18
    minor action: divine challenge h17
    standard action: fearsome smite

attack: (1d20+8)[8](16) vs ac (includes combat advantage)
    damage: (2d8+3)[2][7](12)
    effect on hit: target has -3 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn

20. - Top - End - #110

Melkor

Melkor's shroud evaporates around him. He raises his hand sends another shadowy bolt at the kobold then quickly makes his way across to the north side of the road before once again being enveloped in shadows and trees.

Spoiler
    Show

If Bal's attack does not kill the shield bearing kobold in H17 then he gets blasted by this attack. If he's dead then this attack is made against the kobold in G17.

Current HP: 24(+1 Temp HP)/28
    Minor Action: Warlocks Curse on G17 (H17 is already cursed)
    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast
    Attack: (1d20+3)[19] vs Reflex
    Damage: [roll]1d10+1d6+3[/roll]
    Move Action: Move to J11. Gain Concealment from Shadow Walk and Cover from trees/brush.
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-08-04 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Damage roll needed to be corrected for Warlock's Curse.

21. - Top - End - #111

Spoiler
    Show

I messed up the damage roll trying to fit 1d10+1d6+3 in the same roll
    Damage roll: (1d10+3)[12] + (1d6)[6]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

As Melkor's eldritch blast strikes his target just after bal'koth's strike misses, the shield falters then, its body goes limp. The slinger kobold's eyes widen as the his comrades fall, it turns to runs, getting several feet away, then turning around to fling as ceramic orb at Bal'koth. Leoguard also challenges the other shielded one, it then turns to attack.
    Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

Wave 2
    Kobold slinger K18 moves to O21 (Undamaged)
    attacks Bal'koth
    sling - (1d20+6)[3](9) damage - (1d6+3)[1](4)+2 ongoing fire

Kobold M11 attacks Leoguard (Bloodied)
    sword - (1d20+7)[9](16) damage - (1d6+3)[4](7)+marked

after attacks start of round 4

Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-04 at 10:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Spoiler
    Show
    Still here, just waiting for my turn via initiative order before I post.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur
    Sighing with relief as the kobolds start to fall, Aur's eyes widen as the sling-kobold's fiery globe flies through the air towards Bal'Koth, but is confident that her ally can withstand the attack long enough for her to provide healing to the wounded eladrin. Moving slightly to take advantage of the natural cover the rocks provide, she whirls and makes a chopping gesture at the sword-bearing kobold still menacing the dragonborn, then turns and whispers a mystical word of healing at Vael.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action:Aur moves to K13
    Standard Action:Lance of Faith at Kobold at G17. Attack - (1d20+3)[23] vs. Reflex. Radiant Damage - (1d8+4)[9] and Bal'Koth gets a +2 to next attack against the kobold. EDIT: It'd appear that I got a critical hit! Woohoo! I guess that would make the damage 12.
    Minor Action:Healing Word at Vael. 5 (Vael's healing surge value) + (1d6)[2] + 5 from Beacon of Hope + 3 for Healer's Lore
    Last edited by SwordOfUriel; 2008-08-05 at 11:16 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael's pained look turns into a triumphant smile as the healing energies wash over her, curing her wounds completely. She calls out to Aur and Leoguard both,

"My thanks!"

Taking two quick paces to her right to keep the trees between her and any further threats, she incants the same spell once more.

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 21/21

Shift to O8
    Casting Ray of Frost (again!) at Kobold on M9:

To hit - (1D20+4)[15]
    Damage - (1D6+4)[10]
    Slowed to end of my next turn if hits.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Aur's target falters, then falls, leaving only two creatures left.
    Spoiler
    Show

This is just saying kobold on G17 had died,
    FYI Aur when using a ranged attack in combat, that would provoke an opportunity. But it's fine,
    And kobold(D2) is bloodied
    and kobold(S) is not bloodied

27. - Top - End - #117

LEOGUARD

Sparing a glance to Vael and nodding, Leoguard immediately brings his attention back to the sworded kobold. After all the damage it had taken (especially from his own strike), it would seem likely that the creature was near the point of collapse. Pondering whether these kobolds are part of the strange quest he was part of, the fighter decides to try and take a prisoner--striking at the sword-bearing kobold with his shield and the pommel of his axe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack on kobold D2: Attack - (1d20+8)[5](13) (+2 from Villain's Menace) Damage - (1d10+7)[10](17) (+4 from Villain's Menace) + Marked.
    Leoguard tries to knock out this kobold, rather than kill it.
    ((OOC: Typical that when I roll a 5 to-hit I also roll maximum damage...))
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-08-06 at 01:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Bal'koth is up seeing that wave 1 is all dead

29. - Top - End - #119

Spoiler
    Show
    @DM: Pardon...?

30. - Top - End - #120

Bal'Koth

Black bolts of flame and beams of radiant light flash around the dragonborn warrior, striking down the foes around him as his companions bring their advantage to bear. With a glance for the kobolds behind him finding them well in hand, he snarls at the slinger as its projectile hurtles towards him and explodes into a run after the now-fleeing creature, soon catching it as it circles around a boulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was the slinger's attack vs AC?

hp: ?/27 (full if the sling wasn't vs ref)
    move action to m18
    divine challenge
    charge to o20

attack: (1d20+6)[10](16)
    damage: (1d8+2)[5](7)