New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Keep On The Shadowfell-IC-TQ

Bal'Koth

As they enter town, his allies seem unready to suggest a course of action, so the Dragonborn turns back to the town gaurds on the wall and hails

"Our thankss, gatekeeperss. What way to a temple of Melora, or Avandra?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael huddles in her cloak. Many things are on her mind: the fate of the missing caravan, which they saw no sign of on the road. If the caravan had arrived, then the lack of a message in return from the town was mysterious. The disappearance of Douven Staul, which they had pledged to investigate. Most of all the mysterious prophecy they had heard, the words of which yet haunted her rests.

None of these promised swift resolution though. She half-turned seeking shelter in the first available place, the inn, before hearing Bal'Koth's question. Speaking half to herself she murmored "A wise suggestion, yet I pray that they have a fire in this shrine, and a roof to keep us dry!"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

LEOGUARD

Leoguard nods in agreement to Vael's hope. Noting that the guards' supposed stares, he remember to put his axe away--though keeps his shield on his arm and his helmet on his head.
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The guard motions the shut the gate as soon as the party arrives, he then yells out, but his voice is almost lost in the heavy wind and rain:
    "The temple is just down the road on the west wall, but you will find the doors locked, priestess Linora is out in the area helping the peasants. But if you wish a dry place to sleep and a fire in which to warm your self I suggest Wrafton's Inn. We haven't seen travelers for several days, where did you come from?"
    Running Keep on the Shadowfell
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Erradran Silverhand - Arena ranger in the paragon devision
    Jerren Stilsmite - Revenge driven Cleric of St. Cuthbert

5. - Top - End - #155

"Ferania. At the behesst of Avandra'ss sserventss. Iss there none of ssuch to whom we may pressent oursselvess?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

"Today is the day before the marketplace" the guard says, his voice just barely audible above the strong winds. "You'll likely find most of the town inside Wraftons Inn, Lord Padgraig might even make an appearance. Though Lord Padraig wouldn't be the best to talk to, he has little concern for the town. Did you not say that the high priestess of Ferania send you? Our food has been running low, what happened to the last shipment?"
    Time has passed since the conversation started, your clothes are wet and your feet tired. The large building in front of the gate begins to glow from lit fires and candles. You see several men running with hands above their head, entering this building. Now that you have begun to rest from walking your senses sharpen you hear steady clanging originating from deeper into town. You also see that there is a second gate leading towards an enclosed area. Just to the left of Wrafton's Inn you see a medium sized building with no front wall and several horses in stables.
    You belly's begin to rumble, not having eating warm dry food for several days.
    What do you do?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur tenses as she hears the sound of metal striking metal, her hand straying towards the well-tended mace hanging at her belt. She brushes a stray lock of wet hair out of her face and hitches up the hood of her rather sodden wool cloak. Perhaps we might investigate what is happening in the tavern, my friends? If, as the guard suggests, the lord of the city is to be present there, we might glean some information about Winterhaven's troubles...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for my non-posting lately. It's been crazy at work the past couple of days.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

Wonderful grey druid (and will o' the wisp) avatar by LostOne!

8. - Top - End - #158

LEOGUARD

The warrior's hand flashes to his axe as the clanging becomes apparent--but as he listens on, he recognizes something different about the sound... "DOEST THAT CLANGING COME FROM THY TOWN'S SMITH OF METAL?" he echoes from within his armour, as loudly as he can manage, to the guards--trying to get his voice over the loud wind. "I WOULD HOPE THEE DOST NOT HAVE A BATTLE RAGING WITHIN THY HOME!" He will put away his axe should the guards give a positive answer.
    To Aur's comment: "Yes, yes.... that would be the best course of action," Leoguard agrees (again talking loudly as can be managed through his armour), feeling sympathetic and guilty towards his wet companions--himself far drier from his mostly water-tight armour and clothing.
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

AH... YES THE CLANGING IS COMING FROM OUR TOWN'S SMITY, THAIR COLESTRIKER. HE MUST BE GETTING READY FOR THE MARKET TOMORROW.

10. - Top - End - #160

Melkor

Melkor reaches up to pull his hood tighter and closer over his head. The banter with the guards has caused him to become impatient, his tail beginning to swish as he counts the moments by. Upon hearing Aur's request to head into Wrafton's Inn, Melkor seems to perk up slightly.
    "That's the best I've heard tonight!", says Melkor to his companions as he moves rather quickly into the inn.
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

11. - Top - End - #161

With one last scan of the surroundings and a glance off in the direction of the supposedly locked temple, Bal'Koth follows Melkor towards the tavern wordlessly.

12. - Top - End - #162

LEOGUARD

Seeing the other begin to leave, Leoguard motions to Vael that she should follow. Walking along beside her -- feeling wretched that he should remain warm and dry while a woman beside him is soaked to the skin in the cold rain -- a stroke of genius comes into his head.
    Moving to the right of Vael he lifts up his shield with it facing the sky, holding it over her head and deflecting most of the rain away from her. His armour, however (despite the lighter metal), is greatly heavy due to its thickness and was designed for the suit itself to take the full burden of weight when the wearer was not moving actively. Still, he grits his teeth and keeps his arm up, the shield's own weight being a major hindrance.

"I wouldst suggest that thyselves do thy best to imitate me," he yells to the rest of the group, "that is, should thou wish to be no more one with the rains than thy hast already become."
    The straining warrior is about to speak to Vael, but remembers that Aur is also at the mercy of the downpour. A mixture of confusion of guilt strikes him, as he realizes he has aided one maiden and forsaken another. Taking another breath, he shouts through his metallic shell and the out burst of the heavens, "Pass to me a shield from my load, Maiden Aur, and I will do my best to protect thee from the rain." Assuming Aur does so, Leoguard grits his teeth harder and tries to keep his arms up till they reach the inn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stupid, stupid, STUPID...! How could I have NOT have thought of something so obvious sooner !?!? What sort of a writer am I ...? ..... Now that my dramatics are over, back to the game .

Endurance - (1d20+4)[18](22) Just for fun, and in case .

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

You enter the Inn, immediately the smell of mead of and the warm fire reach your nose. There are many people inside this large building, peasants and towns folk gathered at tables, singing and dancing are present every where. Several people sick out, the only elf in the tavern sits at the bar, alone and quietly drinking wine. A beautiful woman behind the bar is taking all the gold and distributing the food, mead, and wine, as well as talking with everyone. A large group of people surround a table towards the middle of the room. The atmosphere is light, and Leoguards arms begin to tire, your wet feet land on the floor, several eyes are drawn as the large Bal'koth enters.
    What do you want to do?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur smiles at the chivalrous (if slightly clumsy) act of Leo. Do not worry about me, my friend. I long ago learned to ignore what the elements throw at me as I travel. Avandra's faith teaches much in the way of patience. As she walks into the inn, Aur lets the hood of her blue woolen cloak fall back around her shoulders, shaking out her mass of wet brown hair. I suggest that we see the barmaid for rooms for the night. Perhaps two or three rooms would suffice? I think it best that Vael and I share, and you gentlemen can make arrangements as suits you. With this, Aur walks towards the attractive woman behind the counter, intent on making arrangements for the evening (and getting herself a warming draught while she's at it).
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

15. - Top - End - #165

Melkor

Melkor nods in agreement with Aur and makes his way with her to the barmaid. After making arrangements for rooms, he heads up to the room and unload his belongings. Melkor takes his time to hang his cloak and change his wet clothes, hanging them to dry, as well as checking his dark leather armor. After donning what dry clothing he has left, Melkor makes sure his rod and sickle are strapped to his belt, along with his gold. Mindful that he won't have his cloak to cover his head, he returns to the main room in hopes of finding an empty table or a seat with his companions.
    When seated he orders himself some dinner and some wine, while scanning the room absently.

Spoiler
    Show

Melkor would likely try to get a room by himself. It's a pity multi-class wizards don't get cantrips, would have been great to be able to dry his clothing!
    I was going to roll a Perception and Streetwise check to listen in on the tavern patrons but myth weavers is down it seems.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael simply stands in the rain with her eyes shut while the others debate where to go. Their conversations wash over her as she wanders, lost in her own thoughts. Her attention has to be regained with a brief tap on the arm before she moves with the others to the inn, although Leo's gesture causes her to smile to herself, a flash of white teeth in the gloom.

"Stay your arm and save thy strength, warrior. You cannot battle the skies themselves, and they have quite won their tussle with us already."

In saying this she lifts the hem of her cloak, causing runnels of water to drip onto the ground. She does not protest further if Leo continues, simply stepping sharply towards the door of the inn.

The Eladrin woman is exceedingly glad to step within the inn, at once casting her hood back and letting her long braided hair hang freely. She smiles at Aur's suggestion, simply replying "I concur." Casting a longing glance at the fire, she walks together with Aur readying what money she has to pay for her share of room, food, and whatever the lady at the bar considers best to take the chill from an exhausted traveller. Just as soon as she has a drink in her hand she moves quickly to the fire and begins the process of drying herself off.

17. - Top - End - #167

LEOGUARD

Leoguard, to Aur's statement in the rain, replies, "Still, my honour is injured that I should remain dry whilst two maidens under the full force of the elements--please allow me to do this much, for my arms are strong and not unused to holding up great weights for a long period."
    To Vael's denial he replies, "Darkhunters fight long after 'losing'. Many a loss we have turned into victory, by never as much as considering the solution of accepting defeat. And So, if it be no insult to thy honour, maiden Vael, I will continue protecting thee from the rains."

When they finally reach the rain, and the girls are in, Leoguard lowers his heavy shield(s), aiming the accumulated water at Melkor (perhaps unintentionally).
    Inside the inn, the warrior is curious of who will attract the most attention: The seven-foot dragonborn, the disguised demon, the maiden of the feymire, or himself with his inch-thick metallic suit? Regardless, he agree with Aur's advice and volunteers, "Bal'Koth, perhaps we should share a room--for I would not trust myself asleep with that demon." Assuming Bal'Koth agrees, Leo will then go to arrange and pay for their room.
    After the room are settled, the young warrior would see to satisfy his now dire hunger--were it not for his wish to conceal his age... He ponders a long time what to do, his first burning and his stomach protesting at the wait ((I could think of some things, but Leo is torn as to what to do at the moment. Want to give him a hand ?)).

Spoiler
    Show
    Water-Attack - (1d20+6)[16](22)? I guess it's against your Reflex, Melky . On hit: Get extra soaked.
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-08-15 at 08:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

As you approach the bar maid, you notice that she is both concerned at the extremely soaked travelers, and curious at the lack of new people to the town.
    "Oh my, you are soaked, can I get you anything?" After relaying you want for a room she speaks once more
    "Very well, three rooms is it? that will be 1 gold piece."
    Just after purchasing three rooms for the night a loud eruption of noise is emitted from the center table, the large crowd then makes a whole as a young man, no older than the age of 16 leaves, his head drawn down and spirit somewhat broken. You hear a deep and joyful voice emerging from the center,
    "Who wishes try their hand at Bytan, vs an old farmer?" No one seems to raise their hand, or challenges him
    POST #2
    You enter your rooms they are nothing special, but the rooms are adequate, there is only bed, but there is much room for a sleeping bag. However there is nothing else.

What do you do?
    Spoiler
    Show

So... as mike had said thing seem to have slowed down,
    Is it because of busy time in your real life?
    Or is it that you have somewhat lost interest in the game?
    Hope your still enjoying your selves
    Quinn
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-15 at 09:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Melkor

After getting dunked Melkor flashes with restrained anger, eyes glowing with eldritch power, "Lets get one thing straight, boy... Neither one of us asked to be in this together. Keep up the childish antics and no one will ever take you seriously, nor will you earn their respect. Bloody hell! I'm not here to babysit you either, I've already made my own sleeping arrangements. Why don't you go be a good troll knuckle and go lose your gold to the hustler."
    With that Melkor makes his way up to his room (after paying), ignoring anything said to him. After shedding his wet clothes and changing he returns to eat and have a drink.

Spoiler
    Show

While he's eating Melkor will keep his ears alert, keen for the local banter.
    Perception: (1d20)[17]
    Streetwise: (1d20+7)[16]

20. - Top - End - #170

Bal'Koth

Bal'Koth's head raises proudly as he gathers the attention of the crowd, proud of his noble heritage and unashamed to be found impressive... or perhaps simply outlandish. He places a gold piece on the bar as the barmaid states her price, and nods to Leo, though slight exasperation grows on his face as the young fighter again begins to voice his almost supersticious distrust of Melkor.

"Perhapss we will find a time without the weight of ssteel about uss ssoothing." he suggests, making for the stairs. Upstairs, he removes his armour and shield, and locking the door on his descent returns to the common room, where he asks a warm meal of the barmaid and joins Aur if she is downstairs, or Melkor if she is not.

Spoiler
    Show
    been busy, still having fun

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur
    Aur sighs inwardly at the young warrior's posturing and superstition, and Melkor's obvious discomfort with his presence. She murmurs a prayer to Avandra, begging that by a twist of luck that her two fellow travellers will put aside these small differences. She takes a seat at a table near the fire after paying for the room, a haunch of whatever meat was roasting on a spit in the fire, and a glass of warm spiced wine, and smiles at Bal'Koth as he joins her. I do hope that our young warrior friend does not fall for the rather obvious posturing of that man in the circle of townsfolk. We have much to accomplish in the morning - I wish to discover what exactly the threat to this city is, as they seem rather afraid of discussing it. While she speaks to the dragonborn, Aur absently toys with her silver-edged holy symbol of Avandra, enjoying the flickers of radiant light that sometimes play across its face.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

"One gold piece each?" The young eladrin woman took on a slightly concerned expression and spoke softly to Aur. "I fear you must use a little of the gold that the priestess gave us for my share, as I have not one gold to my name."

Vael notices the aftermath of the scene between Melkor and Leoguard and simply watches Leo with the slightest of frowns on her face. Assuming she can afford it, she also takes a glass of warm spiced wine and dries herself briefly by the fire. Her cantrips, cast subtly, soon ensure she is quite dry, at which point she acquires some food and sits with the others with her back against the wall.

She speaks softly for the two at the table. "I too am concerned for our young warrior friend. This quest will be the making or breaking of him, I deem."

After having said her piece, she smiles at Melkor, hoping that he will take this as an invitation to join the group. Though she tries to conceal it, her eyes are also on the human patrons and fixtures of the tavern, quietly drinking in a scene which is quite strange and new to her.
    Last edited by RavenGirl; 2008-08-17 at 07:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

LEOGUARD

"It is not as though thou is wetter than to begin with," Leoguard says, half to himself and half to the storming Melkor. As he shrugs his heavy armour (he and his friends would often play minor tricks on one-and-other between training--or during training) his attention is caught by the old man screaming of bytan. His youthful curiosity getting the better of him, he goes up to one of the gathering people and asks, "What be this 'Bytan'?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I looked it up on wikipedia and google, and got zilch.... so if you expect we all know what Bytan is, you're in for a surprise from me .

The reason I've been lax on posting is a mixture of things. 1) We got "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King" and I've been pretty addicted to that previously. 2) I'm now getting addicted to, "Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2". 3) Mount&Blade Starwars mod. 4) Trying to get over IRL problems to do with work. And finally 5) I guess all of this in combination made me a bit less eager, but that's no your fault in any way, quinn --I'll manage to post every once in a while, still. So don't worry .
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-08-17 at 09:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Melkor

With a full stomach and a cool head Melkor joins his three companions and seats himself next to Vael.
    "It's nice to be warm and dry for once, although by the festivities in here tonight, the weather does not seem to be affecting the locals too much." Melkor sips his drink and then turns to Vael, "I've been meaning to ask you, what is the purpose of your empty scabbard?"
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-08-20 at 01:31 PM. Reason: grammar

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Now to get down to what each of you do, one at a time
    by the way Bytan is something of my own creation, you can try it as a mini game or we can do it as a roll, up to you.

Melkor, After entering the tavern the sounds of many conversations mix together finding anything of interest is somewhat difficult. Once you sit down at the bar, the only bar lady begins to engage you in conversation. "Hello there and welcome to Wrafton's Inn, can I get you something to eat?" After getting your food she asks "So how did you five travel to this town is such weather? Did you see any other travelers on the road, perhaps a caravan?"

Bal'koth, you make way into your adequate room finding little room to place all of you belongings, the room will hold two people but not as conformable if you had your own room. You then make you way down to the common room and find that the crowd has grown even more, seeing more cold and wet peasants wringing their cloths in an attempt to dry them selves, you are able to locate both Melkor and Aur, taking a seat beside which every you wish.

Aur, as you approach the fire you notice a old man currently in the seat you wished to sit on. The man is garbed in robes and wears a pair of spectacles hung on the tip of his nose. In his lap he is reading a large tomb, when ever his turns the page a large amount of dusts is scattered in to the room. You glimpse a look curious to see what he is reading, you find the words to be magical and of arcane nature.

Vaelnae, you begin talking to the barmaid, she introduces her self very eager to hear your stories and learn of why no travelers have passed in recent times? bringing you into the conversation with Melkor "Hello there madam eladrin, I mean by all mean, not one gold piece per person, I run a reputable business and do not gouge my costumers, It is one gold piece for the lot of three rooms. I am Silvana Wrafton. If you have any question I am always happy to help travelers such as yourselves."

Leoguard, you find the same situation that was presented to Bal'koth, but you make it down to the common room. When entering the tavern you find the old man still attempting to find someone to play a game of Bytan against him. You have heard of this game only once before, never before having the chance to learn the game or find the basics about it. He gives another yell this time directed at you once you hear the business about bytan. "Have a seat you traveler, and lets teach you the game of bytan. It is always a great way to pass the time and have some fun."

Spoiler
    Show

Leoguard I wasn't sure what you were wearing so I assumed you took of your armor, having you dark skin and young face shown to the room.
    again I made up bytan and this can end actually three different ways,
    We actually play it, I'd rather not
    We roll
    or we roll-play it.

26. - Top - End - #176

Melkor

Melkor smiles at Silvana and after having ordered his meal answers her question, "We've come up from Feraina on foot. Not a horrible three day's travel but with the rain, well let me say it's nice to be under a warm roof." Melkor sips more of his wine and continues his conversation, "As for other travelers we saw none. We were however attacked by a small band of kobolds just a few hours back before we reached Winterhaven. Is it common for kobolds to attack travelers so close to town? Or is this a recent problem?"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

"Ahh those kobolds" Silvana says with a hint of hatred in her voice.
    "They've becoming more and more brave, coming closer and closer to the town, attacking our live stock with increasing regularity. My friend Torrin's live stock was only attacked maybe once or twice a year along with several other farms probably just to feed. Now its every month, if not every week. We have been trying to get Lord Padraig to find where they live and eradicate them. But he stay sober enough to listen to our needs..., even if he does give a beholder's eye not enough of the town will follow his orders. As you can see, he isn't liked very much."

28. - Top - End - #178

Bal'Koth

Bal'Koth shrugs at Aur's concern over Leo's interest in the farmer. "A losss of a wager will do little harm. Sshould our charge prove asz harrowing asz the propheciess imply, he will grow quickly, or he will die. A lessson in sseeing the dangerss before you may be for the besst." he responds, nodding at the "old farmer" and his act of harmlessness at the game he is sharking.

29. - Top - End - #179

@DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leoguard's still wearing his armour, he's doesn't like people to find out about his age. I'm guessing the "dark skin" is a typing error since you don't have much time .

I'd like to actually play it providing three things: 1) It's the sort of game I like, or at least understand and won't mind playing. 2) It won't take up too much time and stall the game. 3) It isn't too much trouble for you.
    Even if the game doesn't provide all these things, please give me an overview of how it works for RP, and to feed my curiosity.

If the above three things don't hold true, I'd like to do a mixture of rolling and RPing. In other words, if I roll a twenty I certainly win that round--but if I roll a 15 and you a 16, then perhaps I'd still win if I RPed it well.
    If I can only pick RP or Rolling (assuming we don't actually play the game), however, then I'll pick after you give me an overview of the game. If it is mostly a game of skill and bluffing, then I'd like to RP it. If it's a game of pure chance, I don't see why we shouldn't use the randomness of dice.

So, I guess I'll pick something after you tell me a bit about the game, thanks .

LEOGUARD

Pausing for a moment, Leo steps forward and says, "I would not mind a game, Elder, assuming it will not deprive me of the night's sleep I hast been looking so forward to." He pulls forward the opposite chair, testing its strength carefully before sitting down his armoured form. "Please be patient with myself if I learn sluggishly, for I have heard of the game only once or twice," he adds, finishing with, "now if thyself, Elder, would instruct me as to the rules--then we may begin."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

Aur nods, somewhat sadly, at the dragonborn's observation, her attention drawn more to the aged, bespectacled man so intently poring over the dusty tome. She moves her chair closer to his, and speaks softly towards him. "Many pardons for interrupting you, grandfather, but I cannot help but notice the tome that you are reading. I am something of a student of history and the arcane, and I wonder if you might be willing to discuss what you are reading with me."

EDIT: MythWeavers is down, but I'm going to add a Diplomacy check once I can access my sheet.
    Last edited by SwordOfUriel; 2008-08-20 at 10:10 AM.