New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Keep On The Shadowfell-IC-TQ

Vaelnae

Vael bows her head at Silvana's welcome. "Many thanks. We have been long on the road and at the moment simply need to rest our minds and bodies, but I shall bear your offer in mind."

Relaxing more now that she has a drink in her hand, Vael orders her meal and listens to Melkor and the barmaid's conversation. "I wonder what is driving the kobolds to act like this. We saw none other on the road, though we hoped to come upon a caravan from Feraina. Has the caravan been lost then? It would be ill news if it were so."

She shrugs a little at Melkor's question. "I lost it along the road." She gives a long pause, then shakes her head and laughs a little. "In sooth I had to sell it to pay for my keep. Not such a noble story, but one that is a little sad, nonetheless." She leaned back in her chair, becoming more comfortable and smiling at Melkor. "It is a strange fate that has thrown us all here together, but not an ill one, I venture."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Melkor

Melkor listens intently at Silvana as she speaks of the recent aggressions made by kobolds. He turns to Vael and quickly notes, "Perhaps we should try to find Lord Padraig in the morning. Hopefully he won't be too inebriated to listen about our encounter with the kobolds so close to his town."

Turning back towards Silvana, he picks up where Vael left off about the caravan, "Indeed, as my companion here suggested, we are in search of a caravan that was to have returned to Feraina already. Douven Staul, a member of this caravan, has a worried wife back in Feraina, and part of this journey is to find him. Have you seen him? I would imagine if they made it here to Winterhaven in the first place he would have come by here to your establishment Madam Wrafton."

Melkor can't help but to laugh at Vael, as polite as a tiefling's laugh can come across. "I had imagined there would be some grand story behind the loss of your blade! But I find value in your honesty Vaelnae. If you need a replacement blade, perhaps we can see the local smith tomorrow. Before you object, I'm sure you can pay me back once we come upon more treasure. Besides I'd rather know that all my companions are fully prepared, should we ever be unable to practice our finer arts. "

The intensity in Melkor has obviously shed itself as he becomes more relaxed. He notes Aur's departure as she makes her way to the table with the old man. Melkor orders another wine for himself and Vaelnae, as well as Bal if he is still seated with them.
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

3. - Top - End - #183

Bal'Koth

'Koth's careful attention becomes apparent as Melkor's relating comes to Douven Stall. "He wass ssaid to be interessted in a dragon'ss burial ground. Where would one ssearch for ssuch a plasce?" he adds, his interest in the possible locations of the caravan and his interest in the place itself appearing to overlap.

He nods in genuine appreciation for the drink Melkor sends his way, and signals his intent to order the next round.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Silvana:
    We have no idea what would be causing the kobolds to act this way, he have had a tradition of not bothering each other for quite some time. I fear that they will only become more and more aggressive. I thought you we scouters for the caravan, does that mean we lost the caravan? This does not bode well. We have some food, but just before the harvest we are in dire need for food. As for your question about a dragon burial site? I have heard rumors about a mighty black dragon that Sir Keegan felled, but that was many years ago, perhaps Ellian might have heard of such a place.

Ellian the player of Bytan:
    Hello there traveler, I am always seeking a game with a new out look on the game. Have a seat then. So this is your first time playing Bytan? It is a simple game of luck and skill, and ability to read each other. He begins teaching you the game, the rules come easy enough yet the intricacies of the game are lost on you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok. Just roll a d20 and add you wisdom for the first game.

Gramps (as you have begun to call him):
    The old man begins to speak, his voice is raspy and his tone isn't the friendliest. "You should not give false titles to those you don't know young one. I would enquire who you are before revealing my intentions."
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-21 at 10:07 PM.
    Running Keep on the Shadowfell
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Erradran Silverhand - Arena ranger in the paragon devision
    Jerren Stilsmite - Revenge driven Cleric of St. Cuthbert

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

Aur

I meant no offense, good sir, I was merely attempting to show my respect. My name is Aur, child of the Dil ironmerchant family. I am but a simple servant of Avandra, Mistress of Luck and Fortune, and I have spent much my life on the road in service of the Lady. My friends and I have come to this town to offer our aid in quelling the kobold raids and other problems that have surfaced of late. I would ask your forgiveness for any insult, and would offer you a glass of spiced wine as a sign of my apologies."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check - (1d20+7)[22] to convince him to soften his stance towards her, accept the spiced wine, and spill about the tome that he reads.

And Aur would NEVER call him "Gramps". Ever.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

Wonderful grey druid (and will o' the wisp) avatar by LostOne!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

LEOGUARD

Leoguard, after a moment to fully comprehend the rules, nods that they should begin the game. He does his best to read the Elder's face, but he had little training in doing such and darkhunters never lied unless they needed to. The one advantage he had, he knew, was that his helmet concealed his face. The Elder could still likely read his weighed down movements and general demure (depending on the Elder's skill, that could be enough). Still, it was a good handicap for the experienced elder, and Leo made the best of it he could throughout the first round.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom - (1d20)[18](18) to try and win the first round. You may want to give a penalty to the elder since he can't see Leo's face .
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael muses, "We have evidence too of their presence, in the arms and shields of the attackers. Surely if this Lord will listen to anyone, he will listen to us."

She turns to look at Melkor as Silvana reveals more about the caravan, a look of concern on her face. "This bodes ill. It may be that we have to retrace our steps, to see if we can track where it disappeared." She speaks again to Silvana, "How many wagons and folk make up this caravan? If we are to seach for it, it would be well to know what we look for."

Bowing her head deeply, she thanked Melkor for his offer. "I would be most grateful for such a loan. I do confess that I miss the feel of a blade in my hand, though my magics serve me better." Her tone is a little relieved somehow, as she thinks I am glad he did not ask how I came to be in the mortal world... I am not sure I am ready to tell that tale yet!

Accepting the drink gracefully Vaelnae casts the occasional glance over to Leoguard in puzzlement and wonder at his stubborn refusal to take off his armored suit.

8. - Top - End - #188

Melkor

Melkor thinks for a moment while having his drink and addresses both Bal'Koth and Vaelnae, "We should find where this Ellian is and find the burial site first I would think. With all the rain and the time that has already passed I doubt we'll find the traces of the caravan. Maybe by starting at the burial site we can trace our way back to the road from there. Bal'Koth here seems to be adept at such things. What do you think?"

9. - Top - End - #189

Bal'Koth

The dragonborn nods in agreement. "Any tracse of the caravan'ss goodss, be itss abscensss by foul play or misshap, will ssurely have been sscavenged away. It will do uss little good to sseek itss return on the roadsside. Though I've little true sskill in tracking, the rainss may make thingss eassy for uss."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The Old Man with the book:
    Very well, Aur was it? I am Valthrun, I am the Prescient of this town, I would gladly accept your offer of spiced wine. This book is filled with many secrets, the ability to speak with animals and many others. What do you know of these kobolds? Perhaps anything that would aid Winterhaven to rid us of them?

The Bytan player:
    You begin playing the game with this old man but as the game continues phrases such as "Ooh... I forgot to mention you can only play that when fool is out." or when the game begins, several turns are take after a run of good cards.
    The Spectators laugh and some whispers reveals that the rules are true, but the old man is a swindler. While the game goes on the man attempts to make conversation.
    "So... I don't believe I got your name? I am Ellian but most know me as Ellian the Old. Haven't seen many travelers around these parts lately, its probably because of them Kobolds, or was it Redcaps, the ones that escape from the fey wells. No wait, maybe they come from that creepy place in the peaks. Wait what were we talking about, sorry I tend to ramble, right, right, right, Bytan."

Silvana:
    In response to Vaelnae question.
    "Not sure it varies every time, usually it was about 5 people, but there have been strange things going on in the outlands, less and less people are willing to risk their lives to travel."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Up forgot to get his roll.
    Bytan - (1d20+7)[17](24)
    A small amount of that bonus is from his neglect to mention all the rules
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-24 at 09:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Melkor

Melkor listens in as Silvana tries her best to describe the caravan and nods in understanding as she further laments on recent troubles. He takes time to look about the room, checking in on Aur as she talks to sagely looking man.
    Melkor returns to conversation with Silvana and his two companions, "So what else can you tell us of Winterhaven? So far you have an uncaring and drunken lord, kobolds on the rise, and weather fit for a fish!" Melkor flashes a joking smile and continues, "While not exactly a finalist on my list for a summer manor, I would like to think they may be some other things of interest around here."
    Last edited by Awesomologist; 2008-08-25 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Grammar

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Silvana:
    "Well there isn't much in Winterhaven, this weather comes once a year, but usually not for another three tendays, it's usually quiet nice place."
    Everyone this is a must read!
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry I have a large change to make on this game, the name given in the adventure manual is called Winterhaven, but I want to translate this into my world. The real town is called silvervale, and is located in the west. Near the out lands. Feraina's is a large town, most of its resourses come from the great lake. I made this map in on my own with no outside help, using the word processing program pages for the mac.
    The name of this world is ORIN
    The border lands:

By the way awesomologist, awesome avatar
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-25 at 01:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Spoiler
    Show
    What sort of wisdom score does he have ....? I'm guessing about 18, with a +1 level bonus and a +2 circumstance bonus, judging from the mod on that roll. It's a bit rotten considering my high roll (I thought I actually had a chance), I don't think I can do better than I have already ...
    PLEASE don't tell me that was counting the penalty of the fact Leo is wearing a helmet and the old man can't see Leo's face :scared:.

LEOGUARD

Leoguard patiently undergoes the trickery, more annoyed by the snickering of the townsfolk than the trick itself. As long as the Elder does not wish this to become a game of risk or gambling, I have no reason for complaint, he thinks to himself.
    When conversation begins, the young player tries his best to answer his opponent properly, his mind straining to keep up at a game he has had no practice with, "Mine name? 'Tis Leoguard, Elder Ellian. I and my comrades have travelled from the city of Feraina, by request of the city's High Priestess, to investigate as to thy troubles of late. Another problem be that a caravan travelling to this town would seem to have vanished--we be curious to know the fate of the caravan and its people, which may well be linked to thy town's despair." Supposing the fascinating story distracts the old man and listening peasants, Leoguard acts quickly to capitalize on this however he can by the game's rules he knows of.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom - (1d20)[19](19) Not sure if you wanted another roll, but here's one in case you did.
    EDIT: WOW... I did do better than my last roll .
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-08-25 at 01:16 PM.
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The old man quietly listens to your story
    Spoiler
    Show

I considered he was trained in the game of gambling, so I gave him a +5 bonus, and +2 from the rules, finally a +2 because of Wisdom.
    With out being able to see the rules, he quickly, lost that plus two he was given from either the rules or the wisdom, now that you fully understand the rules he has a plus 5 the roll, He also did roll an 18
    BYTAN - (1d20+5)[18](23)
    You are rolling great, when rolling just under you, and having played this game many, many, many years he continues to beat you.

After winning the second hand, he asks:
    So do you want to make this game interesting?
    How about a 1 copper a game, to start out with?
    A caravan you say, weren't they supposed to arrive several days ago OR was that this horrible rain, I can't remember.
    Last edited by the quinn; 2008-08-25 at 01:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for not posting for so long... I've been having family issues of late.

LEOGUARD

Leo pauses a moment and -- while you couldn't see his face -- one could imagine his eyebrows raising at the old man's suggestion for betting. "I hast done my best, Elder, yet still thou hast beaten me: A madman, and a madman alone, would take uppon himself the task of defeating thee at Bytan--without fully mastering the rules of the game," with that, Leoguard does his best to measure Ellian's reaction, ready to leave should the elder become sour. "If thy dost not mind playing without wager, then I would gladly continue."

Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom - (1d20)[18](18) In case we continue the game, and supposing that we'll continue with wisdom rolls and not other types of rolling.
    Last edited by Conners; 2008-08-27 at 12:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

You continue talking the Ellian, for the rest of game, learning he knows allot about this area, Leoguard learns more of the games trick and tip, getting a +1 to Bytan the next time you play.
    You awaken the next morning to the bustling of the town, rain still falls yet the town has gathered outside of this building

18. - Top - End - #198

LEOGUARD

After the game was finished, Leo said goodnight to the old man before returning to his companions to see if they had learnt anything interesting. After conversing with them and finding out what they now knew, he bids them too a goodnight before retuning to his and Bal'Koth's room. Taking a quick look at the armour and weapons he obtained from the kobolds, he dismantles his armour from his body and blows out the candle (with Bal'Koth's permission), sleeping in his leather-and-silk attire, sound as a log from the hard day's travel...

------------------------------------

In the morning, Leoguard remains asleep -- dreaming of the great battles he would win against hordes of rampaging orcs, tyrants with their massive armies, and flocks of the mightiest dragons -- needing more than an adult in rest, due to his adolescence. ((Someone will need to wake him up[ unless you're willing to wait a couple more hours or so.))

19. - Top - End - #199

Bal'Koth

When she has a moment, Bal'Koth signals for Silvania's attention and asks "The town watchmen ssugessted your priesstess wass not to be found. What holy plascess are houssed in ssilvervale?"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Silvana:
    "She spends most of her time out side to city helping the less fortunate, those not sister of the Padraig. She in right now though giving her weekly sermon. She'll be here for the rest of the day."
    As you awaken, the sun is high, what is your action?

21. - Top - End - #201

Melkor

Melkor awakens with the dawn and makes his way down to from his room after a quick wash and a once over of his still damp clothing. Afterwards he comes down to the tavern proper, staying long enough only to drink some milk and grabs some bread and cheese, taking some with him as he walks out the door.
    Melkor makes his way to the blacksmith and purchases a longsword for Vaelnae, then goes back to the inn and waits for the rest of his party.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll tick off the 15 gold.

22. - Top - End - #202

Bal'Koth

The dragonborn rises with the dawn and, suiting up and packing his belongings, heads toward the town's church, respectfully observing the rites of another's god.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming no one dedicating a ceremony to Melora appears in his path, Bal'Koth will go to the temple and respectfully observe (but not participate in) whatever morning rituals are observed there. Provided nothing untoward occurs he will approach the priestess when she is no longer occupied.

23. - Top - End - #203

Spoiler
    Show
    Guess Leo's stuck sleeping for a few more hours, then --assuming no one goes out of their way to wake him up.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since it appears we're moving on to morning, I'm going to play off Aur's conversation with Valthrun, assuming that she quietly chatted with him about unimportant things while at the fire and promised to speak with him again in the morning.

Aur

Aur rises, refreshed and dry for the first time in days, as the morning sun peeks through her window. Raising her holy symbol to the four cardinal directions, Aur murmurs a lengthy prayer to Avandra, splashes water on her face, pulls on her boots and cloak, and leaves her small room that she shares with the eladrin. Passing through the quiet common room, she leaves the inn, and overtakes a passing laborer, asking him for directions to the house of Valthrun, the town Prescient.
    "I am sorry to say that it will not do. Magic is not respectable, sir. It is not," Sir Walter searched for a word, "serious. The Government cannot meddle with such things." (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, by Susanna Clarke)

Wonderful grey druid (and will o' the wisp) avatar by LostOne!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

Vael rests long and deeply, enjoying the comfort and warmth of the inn. Even so, she completes her meditations to find her human companions still slumbering. She enjoys sitting in silence for a time, content to be surrounded by a nascent band of people who wished her well and who seemed as though they could be trusted.

As the sun rises and the inn stirrs, Vael makes her way to the common room and arranges to have a hot bath, or as close as can be managed. The others thus miss her on their seperate ways out, though Melkor returns to find her sitting in the common room with her spellbook open on a table, combing out her long hair. She rises and greets him with a smile which grows on seeing the longsword he bears for her. Accepting it gracefully she almost seems younger than her years as she tests the balance before placing it in her sheath.

"I am grateful beyond words... it is almost as though something has been restored that was lost." She goes to speak further before stopping slightly confusedly and bowing her head again.

Moving quickly to change the subject she asks Melkor, "Have you seen the others of our band? Perhaps we should ask the inkeep where they fare."

Spoiler
    Show
    Edited for tenses
    Last edited by RavenGirl; 2008-08-30 at 06:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Melkor

Melkor smiles at Vaelnae's expression of gratitude as he presents her with the longsword. "You are most welcomed Vaelnae. I feel better just knowing you are able to defend yourself."
    He watches as the elf sheaths the blade and continues, "I personally find such large blades unwieldy and cumbersome, but then again I do not have the grace, nor the training of the fey.
    I think I saw our friend the paladin head towards the local temple. I take it you did not catch Aur this morning? Last I saw she was still engaged in conversation with the older gentleman from last night. I'm afraid the wine and lack of rest got the better of me last night, so I went straight to bed. Perhaps they both went to the temple? Either way we should make our presence known to the priestess at some point this morning. Of course I wouldn't mind meeting with the lord mayor or guard captain and make them aware of our encounter with the kobolds.
    Why don't we head first to the temple? If nothing else I'm sure we can find Bal'Koth there and hopefully Aur.
    "

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Vaelnae

"I did not see Aur this morning, I fear." She laughed a little. "I was rather preoccupied with finding a hot bath."

Vael rises, pulling on her cloak and stowing her spellbook safely in her backpack. "That seems like an excellent idea. This settlement is a small one, so even if we do not find them at the temple they cannot have gone far."

Together with Melkor, Vael makes her way to the temple to speak with the priestess and hopefully locate the rest of the party.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: poor leo, no-one has realised he's not with anyone else!
    Last edited by RavenGirl; 2008-08-31 at 08:11 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

((Bump. I think you may be best for us to move on, DM. Leo is still asleep for the moment.))

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Melkor 1:
    You exit the tavern, to a large market, full with booths and peasants, however there is a large lack of merchants. One voice becomes extremely easy to hear. A deep, hearty one, yelling "GET YE ARMS AND ARMOR, HAN' CRAFTED BY ME THAIR COLESTRIKER!", You take a minute to find the origin of the claim, you enter into the main market area, rounding a corner of a watermelon vendor. Seeing in front of you, a sturdy dwarf, with red hair and a large amounts of weapons behind him. Over several minutes of haggling over the price you are able to get a decent longsword, from twenty 20 gold pieces to 15.

Bal'koth:
    You make your way to the temple across the town, apart from getting through the market place. The market is packed, and you have to force your way through a crowd of people. After exiting the marketplace the church stand tall against the west wall, standing two stories tall. There is no direct path to the church, however a small path winds around what looks to be tiny houses does. One the short way there, you notice that there are very little people on this side of town. You get to the church a short while later, while approaching a group of about 20 or 30 people exit. Once the crowd has dispersed, or at least thinned enough to enter the stone structure, you see a large symbol of Avandra as well as a smaller one of Pelor and Erathis. In front of the symbol of Avandra, several peasant stand around a priestess.

Aur:
    You talk semi-late into the night, learning that the book he was reading held a very powerful ritual. He has lived here for 62 years, and has spent just a little less then than at Brindolkeep. Other than that you make small talk. He seems a bit standoffish.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    The dark sky still looms over the town, yet the rain has let up very slightly. You ask the first market person you see, who easily points you to the Valthrun's residence. You laugh as you area pointed in the right direction, as his residence is called the tower of Silvervale. It is just to the left of the gate of the inner wall, and five stories tall, a large door stands closed next to the road.

Vaelnae&Melkor:
    You exit the tavern seeing many booths and venders.Upon closer inspection you learn that all of them are from surrounding areas none of them traveling more than a mile. There is talk of kobolds and their increasing boldness, as well a the increase on the price of grain. "THIS IS OUTRAGES" someone yells out "TWO GOLD PIECES FOR THIS? I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY MORE THAN A SILVER FOR A BAG OF WHEAT!". This is then conveyed by several other people until, a peasant with a voice of reason stands up a few seconds later. You then continue to the church, a two story stone building.

Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry I have been a bit late, I'll try to post every day as long as two people have posted.

30. - Top - End - #210

LEOGUARD

Finally waking, Leo yawns loudly and rubs his eyes in the stereotypical waking-stretch. Sitting on his bed for a few minutes, he adjusts his mind out of dreamworld -- where he had just been sanctioned a royal knight by the Two Kings of the Darkhunters themselves -- and back to real-life, where his scar had stabbing-pains that spread into the rest of his face. Opening his bag, he finds the special ointment he got a few weeks back from a cleric, rubbing some into the scar. Before putting the lid back on, he notices there's barely enough left for another of the quarter-doses he had been forced to take, over the past week. Sighing, he decides to use up the rest now, and throw the jar away--continuing his daily routine.

The first part of Leoguard's routine is generally to have a bath. Lately, however, the natural hot springs his division lived near were growing continually scarce... Again sighing, Leo does his warm-up exercise (to avoid muscle-cramp from fighting or just wearing his heavy armour), changes some of his clothing, then gets into his thick suit of plate. Heading towards the innkeeper to see what sort of bath he can get, he stops to greet Vaelnae and Bal'Koth. "Good morning, Bal'Koth, Maiden Vael. Thou both are well, I trust?"