New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Alejandro Tiefling Wizard

Alejandro watches the kobold fall unconscious. He feels victorious. He feel great, knowing that they as a team did this. Everybody worked together to defeat these foes and he was sure they would destroy the last one.

Alejandro walks closes to the last standing kobold (move action to N27, next to D2)

His eyes burn with enthousiasm and he laughes as he casts his spell.
    Standard Action: Scorching Burst (Wizards attack 1, at will). Located at some spot in the left-above part of the map so that only D1 is within range.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex. Area burst 1 within 10
    Hit: 1d6+ intelligence modifier fire damage. Intelligence modifier is 4.
    EDIT: Scorching Burst level 1 at will, an attack at Kobold D1

First to see if it hits: (1d20+4)[8]

Second to see how much it hurts: (1d6+4)[8]

I think it doesn't hit.

Alejandro shouts: Guys, I might have a ritual that might be handy if we would want to move the unconscious kobold, Tenser's Floating Disk. What do you think about it?
    Last edited by Hoplite; 2008-09-12 at 12:55 PM.
    Characters:
    Alejandro

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell, party of six [IC]

Spoiler
    Show

D1
    Aelyn
    Emra
    Rexacor
    Resh
    Alejandro

Alejandro's Scorching Burst misses D1, as does Tarin's two attempts at shooting him. The err proves to be his last as the Dragonshield charges and delivers a fatal blow. Tarin drops to his knees, his life fades from his eyes.

D1 roars a challenge at the PCs.

Aelyn's Turn
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

3. - Top - End - #213

Default Aelyn, Half-elven warlock

Aelyn shouts "For that, your death shall come swifter still!" He approaches the dragonshield, gathering clouds of shadow as usual, and attempts to cast the same spell which slew the skirmisher, but in his anger he can't concentrate enough to break the kobold's will.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action to move.
    minor action to curse,
    standard action to cast eyebite

charisma - (1d20+3)[7] vs. will
    damage - (1d6+3)[8]
    curse - (1d6)[4]

Again, I moved enough for shadow walk to take effect.
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2008-09-12 at 07:14 PM.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Seeing another of her comrades fall puts Emra into a rage; it is not likely that Tarin survived and is merely unconscious, like Resh was. She attempts to focus her anger at the kobold for a direct hit, but her sword skids off the kobold's scales. She turns and shouts hopelessly. "Resh, drop the kobold and heal Tarin!"

Spoiler
    Show
    At least, I think it missed.

Standard Action: Sure Strike (at-will) against D1. To-hit: 13. Damage: 7.

Move Action: Shift 1 square tactically.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

"Tarin!" shouts Rexacor, as he hurries towards his fallen ally. When he comes near, he sees there's nothing he can do to save him. He looks up, a glow of fury in his eyes, and kicks the kobold in the head.

Spoiler
    Show
    I run towards Tarin, but stop at the Dragonshield. I use Furious Smash on it. I've rolled a [22] for attack, and I deal 3 damage. Emra gets a +3 to attack and damage against the Kobold on her next attack.

6. - Top - End - #216

PirateCaptain

Default Resh, Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut

Resh drops the kobold coldly and runs for Tarin. Kneeling next to the body, Resh attempts a Lay on Hands all the while praying to Bahamut.

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler
    Show

D1
    Aelyn
    Emra
    Rexacor
    Resh
    Alejandro

Alejandro attempts to Scorching Burst the Dragonshield, but the dragonshield manages to fend off the assault.
    The Dragonshield then moves over to the fallen form of his unconscious ally, and slashes his sword at him! He shouts something in Draconic.
    Spoiler
    Show

Not a coup de gras(that's a full-round action), but the kobold is now dying instead of being merely KO'd. He makes a saving throw vs death:
    [roll]1d20[/roll]

The stance of the dragonshield makes it clear he intends to slit the supine kobolds throat next round.

Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show

Perhaps your death will keep your miserable tongue from wagging, Nesh.
    May you suffer in the afterworld for your weakness.

Emra's Turn

Spoiler
    Show

Let's not use a map for this, it will make it go by quicker, and it's just a kobold. And he's bloodied. Let's wrap this up guys!

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-09-16 at 12:58 PM.
    Currently playing as:

8. - Top - End - #218

Goblin

Emra denies the kobold the chance to move; as he tries to run away, she drives her sword into his gut.

Spoiler
    Show
    Opportunity Attack (This is not her turn!)

To-hit: 18
    Damage: 15

He's also stopped in his tracks; i.e., he doesn't move but his move action is wasted, though Karas can repost if he's still alive to use his other action. Also, the kobold continues to be at a -2 when attacking anyone but Emra.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Rexacor runs after the kobold, and bashes into the creature with his shield.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another furious smash, this time with an attack roll of [16]. The +3 to attack and damage go to Emra; I think she's the only other party member adjacent to the kobold.

10. - Top - End - #220

The kobold drops dead.
    XP will be posted later.
    Yay!
    Currently playing as:

11. - Top - End - #221

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show
    Whew! Finally! Congrats guys, although that definitely took longer than expected. We will definitely have to tweak with some of our ideas on speeding things up - but that discussion belongs in the OOC thread, so continue it there. Sad that Foolie left.

And I actually had Emra's actual action planned out, after her opportunity attack - it would have been totally badass, to say the least.

Emra thrusts the kobold through the middle, then twists her sword out of the side of his body viciously before he even has a chance to dodge to the unconscious kobold. She places her shield on the ground face-up so she can see the symbol of Pelor on its front, then utters a quick prayer for the souls of the beasts, and of the elf's, to pass safely.

When she stands, inspects her meager wounds and her dented and scratched armor and shield, and has wiped her bastard sword clean of blood and inspected its new scratches as well, she begins to methodically make a pile of dead kobolds. She leaves Tarin and the unconscious kobold for the rest to deal with, preferring to let her group decide what to do with them and where to go next.

With a small sigh, Emra sheathes her sword and stows her shield, then sits in the dirt.

Spoiler
    Show
    She will be taking a short rest for 5 minutes, barring any interruptions like the kobold awakening or her party members needing her for something strenuous or deciding to leave.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Rexacor, Dragonborn Warlord

Rexacor cleans his scimitar and sheathes it. He then looks at Resh's fruitless attempts to revive Tarin. "Damn them," he whispers.

The warlord turns to the unconscious kobold. He picks the creature up with one hand, and screams in its face, "Wake up, cretin! I know you can hear me! Wake up!" Rexacor tightens his grip. "Why did you attack us? Why? Why did you kill Tarin? Was it for our gold? Did you kill Tarin for a few measly gold pieces? A few scraps of food? Or did you take some twisted pleasure in taking his life? A curse on you, kobold, and all your kind!" With those words, he flings the creature away.

Suddenly feeling exhausted from the fight, Rexacor sits down against a tree. He closes his eyes, and whispers, "Gods, don't let me fail them again."

13. - Top - End - #223

Goblin

Emra looks to Rexacor to perhaps say something in condolence, or perhaps even to scold him for endangering their hostage's life. However, she says nothing, just runs her fingers through her hair to straighten it out.

14. - Top - End - #224

PirateCaptain

Resh tries again and again to heal Tarin.

"TARIN!" He stops trying to Lay on Hands and decides to lay on his hands. Resh beats on his fallen companion's chest to try to restart the heart. I WON'T LOSE YOU LIKE THIS!"

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Alejandro Tiefling Wizard

Alejandro sees the last kobold fall and just stands still, unsure about what to do. He thought he was so close and then something like this happens. He slowly walks to Tarin and Resh. He lays one of his hands on Resh's shoulders and says: "He will get an honorable funeral and his friends will never forget him."

His mind starts to wander and a few moments later he says with a cold voice: "The kobolds will pay for what they did. They must. Tarin will be avenged."

He starts walking backwards, away from Tarin's corps. The once cheerful Tiefling now had seen people die on his first real adventure and he would not forget it. The world was cruel and fighting injustice wasn't something you should be making jokes about. His face looks angry. A huge headache. Tired. Alejandro sits down in the grass. He touches it and pulls it violently out of the ground. He whispers: "They will pay. I will do justice. It is my destiny."
    Last edited by Hoplite; 2008-09-18 at 09:43 AM.
    Characters:
    Alejandro

16. - Top - End - #226

Aelyn looks at Tarin sadly, but says nothing. Turning to look at the corpses of the fallen kobolds, he quickly decides to check the bodies for any written instructions they may have had, although he also removes anything he thinks may have some use to the team.

17. - Top - End - #227

PirateCaptain

Resh walks away from the body to a tree. He leans on it, fuming, as the thoughts of the past few minutes churned in his mind. With a roar of defeat, Resh punches the tree.

"This ends. NOW."

Resh storms over to the unconscious kobold and heals him ever so slightly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lay on Hands: Resh spends a healing surge that allows the kobold to use a healing surge.

When the kobold awakens, the first thing he will see is Resh's burning eyes up close. The paladin is fuming.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alejandro watches Resh awakening the kobold.
    A vile smile appears on his face. The kobold could be useful.

Hold it tight, he must not escape.
    Characters:
    Alejandro

19. - Top - End - #229

The kobold coughs up blood and looks up at Resh pathetically.
    Kind of like a chiuahuha looking up at an angry Great Dane.
    Currently playing as:

20. - Top - End - #230

Goblin

Leaving Alejandro and Resh to interrogate the kobold, Emra busies herself helping Aelyn remove any valuables from the bodies.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alejandro rushes to the kobold and starts shouting, his eyes flaming with diabolic infernal. Tell me, kobold, Who is the leader of your band and why are you attacking civilians? If you will answer all our questions I am sure I can persuade my fellow party members to let you go.

Alejandro did a diplomacy check.

EDIT: I got a 24. Hopefully he understands common.
    Last edited by Hoplite; 2008-09-20 at 05:19 AM.
    Characters:
    Alejandro

22. - Top - End - #232

The searchers find 5 gold, 23 sp.
    They also find, on the wyrmpriest, a necklace on which dangles a dragon made of obsidian. On the bottom of the figurine is an etching of an outline of a skull with ram's horns.

RULES STUFF
    Spoiler
    Show

Interrogating the Kobold is a complexity 1 skill challenge. You have one success so far, you need four successes before two failures. This is a "hard
    " skill check.
    Let's not use initiative as usual, since I don't like that rule anyway, and I want to keep thins moving.

Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show

He seems to understand Common, but refuses to speak it, or can't.
    "The others will kill me if I talk."
    He looks at the corpses of his allies, not knowing one of them would have tried to kill him for his silence. "But then, I suppose if I don't you'll kill me too...or worse. What kind of protection can you offer?
    Currently playing as:

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing the doubt in the kobold eyes, Alejandro says the following words in a very polite manner.

I am sorry very sorry, Sir, but I do not understand a word you are saying, please stay calm until I have prepared a ritual which will enable us to communicate more easily.

Alejandro starts preparing the Comprehend Language ritual to be able to understand draconic for the next 24 hours. The ritual takes 10 minutes.

Spoiler
    Show
    If any of the other player characters object, because it would be a waste of materials or anything, he doesn't finish the ritual. (Doing it like this is quicker than first asking "Guys, what do you think, should I cast a ritual?" and waiting for everyone to reply.) I think it would be useful as I have a rather high insight score and it would allow me to help Resh interrogating the kobold (cooperation can give a +2 per person on the checks) EDIT: I already rolled for the ritual in case none of you object, (I am not sure why I rolled, as a high roll doesn't seem to do anything).
    Last edited by Hoplite; 2008-09-20 at 08:40 AM.
    Characters:
    Alejandro

24. - Top - End - #234

PirateCaptain

"Don't bother. I can translate for you."

Resh looks back into the kobold's eyes. He snarls softly before intimidating the creature in Draconic.

"Sjek wux chiili ti tell udoka ilroe svabol yth tuor ekess nymuer, si geou make jaunus batobot douta lowan ui ti garven."

(For those that know the language)
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you do not tell us exactly what we want to hear, I will make sure that your death is not pleasant.

I found an online translator. Woot.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, Great, thanks Resh! What is he saying? We should find out where the rest of his tribe is and why they are causing trouble, maybe they have problems which we can solve and maybe they can tell us more about the person we seek, maybe they have seen him.
    Characters:
    Alejandro

26. - Top - End - #236

Goblin

Emra pockets the money, planning to dole it out later, then looks over the necklace interestedly. She wonders vaguely if it's dangerous, and offers it to Aelyn, thinking he can figure out what it does.

27. - Top - End - #237

"What could this be?" Aelyn asks while looking over the necklace, "It's probably a symbol of some sort, but it could have been enchanted in some way." He begins to think about what he knows about magic and how it can be recognized and continues to analyze the necklace.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana check to see if the necklace is magical.

(1d20+8)[21]

28. - Top - End - #238

The necklace is not magical in anyway.

The kobold briefly licks it's eyeball, apparently to clean it. It seems nervous.
    He begins to crack.
    Spoiler
    Show

Eep! I...I...I...er. What...what d-d-d-d-d-d-d-o you n-n--n-n-n-eed to know, sir? I mean, no, I'm n-n-n-n-n-ot gonna talk. No, no, no, the others will kill me-e-e-e.

RULES STUFF:
    Spoiler
    Show

One more success!
    Two more to go!
    Currently playing as:

29. - Top - End - #239

PirateCaptain

"Where is your hideout?"

30. - Top - End - #240

Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who, who said anything about a hideout? I didn't...did I?
    No, no I didn't. It..was just us!

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about the delay there. Whoops.
    And we've got two successes out of four so far, he hasn't quite cracked yet.
    Currently playing as: