New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dirty fighting paladin build

So currently I have a Paladin 4/Rogue 1 with ambitions to become a Shadowbane Inquisitor (without the fluff). The character is an old Karrnathi veteran who fights defensively and dirty, but so far he feels a little undefined so I was thinking of dipping in fighter a couple levels first. The first of the bonus feats is going to Combat Intuition from Complete Adventurer and the second to Improved Feint, but the last one is just hanging there.

Trying to fill the gap I came across the Martial Study feat from Tome of Battle. The possibilities have blown my friggin' mind. Which is where you helpful folk come in. What maneuvers of level 2 or less would best benefit a defensive fight/feinting/sneak attacking paladin?

I need not fear the cheese for two of my companions are ogres with the large weapons to go with.
    A post about nothing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dirty fighting paladin build

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfTheDucks View Post
    So currently I have a Paladin 4/Rogue 1 with ambitions to become a Shadowbane Inquisitor (without the fluff). The character is an old Karrnathi veteran who fights defensively and dirty, but so far he feels a little undefined so I was thinking of dipping in fighter a couple levels first. The first of the bonus feats is going to Combat Intuition from Complete Adventurer and the second to Improved Feint, but the last one is just hanging there.

Trying to fill the gap I came across the Martial Study feat from Tome of Battle. The possibilities have blown my friggin' mind. Which is where you helpful folk come in. What maneuvers of level 2 or less would best benefit a defensive fight/feinting/sneak attacking paladin?

I need not fear the cheese for two of my companions are ogres with the large weapons to go with.
    Why not just go Crusader/Rogue?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadowbane inquisitor requires detect/smite evil abilities. I'm not the type to usually draw from the Tome of Battle, but in the name of clever fighting I'll do it.
    A post about nothing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfTheDucks View Post
    What maneuvers of level 2 or less would best benefit a defensive fight/feinting/sneak attacking paladin?
    You want Cloak of Deception (lv2 Shadow Hand, invisible 1 round once/encounter) and then later on Assassin's Stance (lv3 Shadow Hand, +2d6 sneak attack). Depending on your Dex and your weapon you could then get the Shadow Blade feat for Dex-to-Damage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Dex is a no go. I rolled well, but it's my dump at 11. He's in full plate to compensate.

Cloak of Deception is decent, maneuverability and a sneak attack are nice, but it's hard to justify fluffwise. As the old man amid ogres and werewolves nobody considers me a threat and I just get around unnoticed? Shield Block seems more defensible, but since he led undead legions in the Last War he's had no incentive to protect the person next to him. Course he could warm to the whippersnappers and whatnot...

Currently Disarming Strike and Emerald Razor look to be frontrunners. Not too flashy and definitely tactical.
    A post about nothing.