New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Circus of Horrors (IC)

Cairn

The dark skinned man catches the barkeep's attention and when he makes his way over the Khayal he leans forward, "As with the rest of my friends I happen to be new to these parts and was wondering if you might happen to know where a man might find some games of sport or chance. I'm always in the mood for a fine wager, if nothing else. Perhaps your fine establishment might have a reigning champion of the ale? Or mayhap you know of something more... interesting." With a mere flick of his wrist and a flourish of his fingertips a golden coin appears between each of his fingers as if from nowhere, "I can compensate you for your trouble, if need be."

Spoiler
    Show
    Suddenly! Coins! Dozens of them! ...or just 3 (1d20+41)[42]
    A few social skill checks, as needed.
    Diplomacy: (1d20+23)[37]
    Doubt I need it (Don't think I did any bluffing), but a Bluff: (1d20+23)[33]
    And a Gather Information for kicks: (1d20+8)[10]
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

The bartender looks at the coins traveling between Cairn's hands before answering. "There's an arcade about a ten minute walk from here, and bike racing goes on about once a week behind there. No drinking contests, people tend to get too rowdy. As for something more... interesting, what are you looking for?"
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Gardener turns to the barkeep. "Would you mind giving me directions to the Buyer's Hall? There's someone I need to meet there."
    Just the seed of an idea.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

"Two blocks south of here, turn right, three blocks, it's the four story building with a scale motif on it."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Thank you." Gardener turns to her companions. "So, is there anything pressing we need to do? If not, I have something to take care of at the Buyer's Hall. It shouldn't take too long. Plenty of time left to set up for tonight."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Sith looks Pan over as she appears again. "I have no doubts you could get yourself out of trouble. I also don't doubt that someone would be bleeding soon after you did it. Well, that's not really important now. What did you find out?"

He gives Gardener a glance "Nothing really necesary. I may take a closer look at the giant construct, but other than that... Enjoy yourself." He gives her a wave.
    Last edited by shaddy_24; 2008-07-23 at 08:14 PM.
    The Ishka wiki. Check it out people, it's a cool little city.

My memorial spoiler. Please give a moment of silence for those who have died.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Altair

The vampire grinned at Luchorpan, carefully rearranging his hair You're quite welcome. As Sith asked, what did you find? Or would it be something better discussed elsewhere?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Luchorpan

A slow smile comes over the Fey as she takes out a little rag-doll from her coin pouch, affectionately brushing its hair with her clawed hands. Where she got it is anyone's guess, but she has already restyled the probably once primp and proper doll into something more resembling something befitting the word trouble-maker. She cackles softly at it before giving Sith the attention he requested.

"Well, the place woi're in 'as a lot a' stories. Thar seems ta be a lo' o' monsters here, called Wels, some roilly big too. Tha's no the fun part, though. Turns ou' tha', to comba' 'em, these folks 'ave buil' a real bonny braw constru', one oi reck'n's worth takin' a gandurr a', if'n ye get moi drift, burr aye?" She explains with an ever widening smile, wiggling her claws to suggest doing more than just looking at this machine.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Gardener seems to consider for a moment, then shrugs. "We've only just arrived. My business can wait for tomorrow, if there's something that needs to be done." She turns slowly, assessing the establishment. "Then again, perhaps it's best to discuss this in private. Should we head back home?"

10. - Top - End - #70

SolithKnightGuy

Sith ***** an eyebrow. "You talking about that big one we saw? Well, I was planning on taking a look at it anyway. A close look. Also at the work area nearby. See what sort of equipment they have, what... supplies." Sith grins back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Altair

Altair nodded slowlyAye... there are some interesting options here. But we have time. Let us make sure that everything is in place before taking any... drastic action. Still... but in any case, unless there is anything further to do, I would agree that returning to the circus to discuss our findings might not be out of place... ah, one thing I almost forgot.

Wandering back to the barman, he leaned over a bit and smiled Tell me, friend... are there any important personages in town whose good side it would be best to stay on? We sometimes give free tickets or better seats to such people, to ensure that our stay in town goes as smoothly as possible.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Eerie
    "Honestly," she says in a whisper to Altair and the others still gathered there, "the way some of you look at these things borders on perversion. If this infatuation is all we're to speak of, I'm going to go work on our publicity."

Eerie scoffs at the laborious affection being paid to that -thing- and leaves the bar in what can only be described as a dignified pout. As she walks back into the streets she strips a red veil from over her head and begins to dance with it like a cloak, stomping her feet like a rythmic bull as she sings.

"L'amour est un oiseau rebelle..."

Spoiler
    Show
    That's right, she knows the Habanera. For convenience, I've translated it from Harpyanese to French Once she's got a good crowd going she's going to lay up with a sales pitch
    (1d20+26)[30] Performance check to see how badly, if at all, Eerie butchers the subtle joys of French.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Cairn

With a sigh the magician flicks his wrist and the coins disappear about his person before he shakes his head and gets up from his stool to leave the bar. His mind expands from his frame and reaches out to his companions, I have ideas for the monolith, but our time here is better served with more immediate concerns. Miss Eerie is correct, we must draw in others first and pilfer this world's belongings second. He passes outside to watch Eerie's show and once she has gathered a crowd he plans to join in himself.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"In that case, I'll take care of my business, then I'll head back to camp and set up. Spot will want feeding soon, and I don't want him on show hungry." Gardener turns and walks out of the bar, following the barkeep's directions to the Buyer's Hall.

Spoiler
    Show
    @Lochar: Do you want to handle this privately? She's just going to try and find him, then skulk in the crowd for ten minutes while studying him as a Mark. Nothing too drastic.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

@Gardener
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you leave the group, send me a PM and we'll play it out that way.

Eerie's singing quickly draws a crowd of curious onlookers. She doesn't notice anyone recognizing the language she is singing in, but the tune, the dance, and the general atmosphere she is creating is enough to snare most passerbys. After twenty minutes, she has a crowd of about forty or so.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Luchorpan

Luchorpan laughs gently and picks up a rock from the tavern floor. "Fargeh headin' ba'k ye'. Oi'm ge'in' a drink." She says with a smile, swaying her hands over it, pressing her palms together and, when they slip apart, a gold coin is in its place. She hops up onto a barstool, pressing the "coin" down on the bar, slamming her fist on it twice right after. "Barkeep! Gimme sa'm m Mead!" She yells, smiling as she waits.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

"Whiskey, scotch, Bartweiser, or a Fatima Fallout. We don't have any mead. The honey is too expensive in the desert."

Don't be stupid.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Miss Eerie

"Thank you, thank you,"
    Eerie says, taking a small bow before doing a spiraling jump high into the air. "And if you've seen something that may entertain, then the only kindness I may ask is that you join us tonight, under our tent-" she says, and gestures towards where it breaks through the skyline, "for an evening that you shall never forget. We've only a seven day engagement, I'm afraid, so better sooner than later."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Many of the gathered people clap, and as Eerie finishes her routine, a few walk up, coins in hand to give them to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    How, exactly, are you going to take them?

Don't be stupid.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight777 View Post
    Wandering back to the barman, he leaned over a bit and smiled Tell me, friend... are there any important personages in town whose good side it would be best to stay on? We sometimes give free tickets or better seats to such people, to ensure that our stay in town goes as smoothly as possible.
    Savron's the man to talk to if you're looking to get in good with the merchants, and Captain Illis is the head of the guard here. The Ethos' lead tech here is Miniz Terras, but he's not often available for anyone to talk to, and I'm not sure if he actually has a sense of humor. 'Mayor' Brand Iston, possibly, but I'm not sure how far that would get you on the good side of any of the others."

Don't be stupid.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Altair

The vampire looked curiously at the barkeep Uou mean the mayor is unpopular with the town in general? or just with the other folk of importance?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

The barkeep shrugs. "Not as much unliked, as more or less a figurehead who doesn't want to be."

Don't be stupid.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Altair

Altair nodded briefly, still thinking. Really? What is the source of his reluctance?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

"What's the source of his not wanting to be a figurehead, you mean?" The barkeep gives you an odd look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, please use " " for speaking, otherwise I'm going to think you're thinking to yourself.

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Altair

The vampire nodded "Yes... I mean, why take up such a position if he had no desire to do so? Or is his reluctance of more recent origin?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

The barkeep shrugs. "I can't say I know his mind. You'd have to ask him."

Don't be stupid.

27. - Top - End - #87

SolithKnightGuy

Sith sticks his tongue out as Eerie walks out. Yes, it was childish and silly. But it made him feel better.

He turns and listens to the conversation between Altair and the barkeep. "I say we offer some tickets to these Savron and Illis fellows. Oh, and we should probably offer one to Miniz, just to be polite. Tomorow night though, or maybe the day after that. Let's see the general response of the town first. Wouldn't want to dissapoint them, right?"

He pauses for a minute "We could also check with the mayor, see if he minds a ticket or two. Or at least see if he'll do an announcement for the circus. We could use a little publicity." He pauses to look over at the dancer outside. "Though I think we may have that covered already."
    Last edited by shaddy_24; 2008-07-24 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Realized I didn't respond to Eerie. Couldn't let that pass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Cairn

As the onlookers move forward to offer their coins to Eerie a trail of darkness flits past them and the Khayal steps forward with a smile. Held between his fingers are many of the coins that had been presented with many more falling to the ground around him in a shower of shimmering light and shadowy darkness. He he chuckles as he palms the coins he had been holding between his fingers and suddenly they disappear from view, "The alluring dance of our dear Miss Eerie is merely the beginning of the grand mysteries to be found within our festival of fright and fancy. Death defying stunts and feats of legerdemain to dazzle and amaze one and all! Fearsome fauna, exotic flora, and a show you must simply see to believe!"

Spoiler
    Show
    So I may have stretched it a little bit, but Umbral Hand, Quicker than the Eye, and Sleight of Hand for all! (1d20+56)[72]

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Altair

Altair nodded at Sith. A good plan... a bit of publicity and getting a bit friendly with the local notables always helps a show go smoothly. Let us see what we can do, hmm?

He strode outside, following the path of Eerie and Cairn, watching bemusedly as they worked the crowds and seeing if there was an opportunity for him to add his own talents to the effort.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Several people startle at Cairn, but applaud when he speaks. Unless someone else continues, the crowd will disburse shortly afterwards.

Don't be stupid.