Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Auromar: Beginnings and Endings (IC4)

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    About two in the morning, where do you plan on being?
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

It begins quietly, not three hundred yards from the front gates of the town. But as it is a dark night, visibility is near nothing and what could have been stopped in time, now won't be.

At two am in the morning, a wave descends upon Incrocio. The howling wakes everyone in the town, as forty plus Yeth Hounds bay and snarl, driving the guards on the wall in front of them away in fear, only to be caught and ripped apart.

The howls of this many hounds creates a cacophony that echoes throughout the entire town, awakening all who might be asleep, and an alarm is raised throughout the whole town, everyone taking up arms against the demons that have been summoned into their midst.

Reid, in the temple, you hear the howls, but they are not close enough to send true fear into your heart, and you steel yourself against their fear effect.

Above even the howls, a voice is heard shouting from in the sky. The voice is filled with madness and insanity. "Kariost! Come out and play, little warlock! Bring your other mage friend too, I'm here to kill you both!" The male voice has an actual singsong quality to it.

Those of you outside the town hear the baying coming across the vast, featureless plain. The town is under attack!

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guards on the wall were taken off guard, and no one won't roll a 1 for a save against that many enemies. Give me actions for the first minute of action please.

Yes, the rest of the guards and townsfolk will fight back as well, so it's not completely hopeless.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist was on the end of his arc when he heard it. a... howling

It can't be...

Damn and blast me for an arrogant rogue.

He screeched at the heavens themselves. It was all he could do to prevent himself bolting for the town. Instead he ran to Anura.

Miss Anura, I know teleport spells are unreliable here, but this seems to call for one. Can you manage something?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Reid

All too familiar with the sound of the hounds' baying, Reid leaps up from the pew and dashes towards the door. A hurried, whispered prayer spills out, punctuated by:

Father Horace! Awake! We are needed.

Without looking back, he draws the fly statuette from his pack and, once outside, activates it. Stepping onto the strange steed, he casts a quick preparatory spell on himself, and looks for the source of the taunting voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Protection from evil. The described activities would take about 3-4 rounds. Spot check as needed (1d20+11)[16]
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed, Father Horace and the two acolytes are stumbling out of their own beds already, hearing the howling. Horace watches Reid leave, and Reid hears him start telling the acolytes. "Close the temple up, leave only the main entrance open. Then get the townspeople."

Looking around, Reid spots a large Yeth Hound approximately two hundred feet above ground, just hovering there. There is something sitting on it's back.

Don't be stupid.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dothen

Dothen immediately drops his shovel and draws his bow looking at Anura Dear lady here they come. If you would be so kind as to give us some wings and a boost of speed that would be amazingly helpful.

While waiting for Anura's response he looks to the others Should we try to draw them here?
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Reid

The priest guages the distance to the figure riding the yeth hound, and looked around for any guards with bows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roughly how far is Reid to the figure on the Yeth Hound? With the ebony fly having 100' fly and average maneuverability, how long would it take Reid to reach him?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-08-03 at 04:01 PM.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    3-4 rounds at a double move. They only reason you even spotted him is because of the mad cackling and calling out for Kariost.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Grimacing at the sound of the many hounds Kjapp shoulders his pack, making sure not to fowl up the hilt of the sword sticking over his shoulder, then picks up his bow and nocks an arrow.

They sound too close to the town, best bet would be to close behind them and kill any we can while the guards hold their attention.

You talked of fighting these things before, is there anything I should know before we go?

Every muscle in his body seems to tense as he waits, ready to spring into action.

10. - Top - End - #70

Dothen

Dothen begins to break a mild sweat at the thought of fighting the hounds again. Yeah, the howling makes yer insides curdle. Scariest damn sound in the world.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Mystical backing on it I think. Still, damn terrifying.

Hist considers for a moment

Summoner likes his invisibility. Fortunately, he doesn't know I have the same trick. That could get me the advantage of surprise.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Grazys is still with us? He didn't go back to the city?

Anu
    After completing her spell preparations, Anura returns to her silent watch awaiting the attack. When the sounds of fear and imminent death finally reach them, she sighs and stands, beginning to gird herself for the expected battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anura casts 'mage armor', 'overland flight,' 'heart of air', 'heart of water,' 'heart of earth' and 'magic circle against evil' on herself in quick succession, then calls forth 'see invisibility' from the hand of glory.

At Hist and Dothen's requests, she nods. "I can attempt to teleport myself but only three others back to the city," she says calmly between castings, "unless someone has an unfilled magical haversack, and someone else wants to get stuffed inside it for the trip."

Spoiler
    Show
    A line-of-sight teleport seems to me to be the most likely to succeed. Lochar, given that we're on a low hill and assuming (hoping!) there are torches and such lit within the city, can Anura see the top of the walls, or the outside of the walls near a gate? How about any buildings within the city, particularly the temple or something near it? If we were to teleport to a spot a bit outside the walls, roughly how far would it be to the temple as the yeth hound flies?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

I don't think we've got time for anything like that. Kjapp, I've seen you run. If anyone can go without this... well, would you mind? I get the impression it won't slow you down much.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-08-04 at 02:34 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

14. - Top - End - #74

Dothen

Dothen double checks all of his gear, quickly undoing any peacebonds and making sure all of his killing tools are ready. it is time to cut the head off this snake. We owe him bigtime for all the crap he's been doing.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Anura:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are lights your starting to see coming from the town, yes. And from the entrance to the town to the temple is oh, thirty seconds as the yeth hound flies.

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you begin to ascend on the fly, you see a column of flame rise forty feet into the air, off in a different part of town. You recognize it as a flamestrike spell.

Others:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even from this distance, you all easily see the forty foot tall flaming pillar that rises for a moment, before descending again. You've all heard Reid speak of this spell before, his flamestrike spell.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp nods at Hist then pulls a symbol out from under his shirt and quickly chants a spell.

I'll try to take as many out from the flanks as I can while I make my way back to town looking to Anura he asks where do you plan to teleport to? I'll try to meet you around there.

Once he receives an answer, tightened muscles release as he shoots off at a slight angle to the town, bow and arrow in hand.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting: LongStrider

Sprinting off at an angle to the town, planning to arc back in, travelling at 60ft * 5 = 300ft per round.

And yes I know I don't have low light vision, I really wish I had had a chance to swap out spells but it's not dawn yet.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Reid

Climbing as silently as possible towards the figure on the yeth hound, Reid struggles to make out a possible source for the flame strike.

That almost certainly means a priest as part of the assault...or else there was a powerful priest whose presence in the town had been unknown. Surely Silas could not have drawn so much from Hist...no, wait, he released that power. Well, at least, with that display, the others are sure to know there's trouble here. How long will it take them to run back here, I wonder.

Quickly, clinging to the fly with one hand, Reid bolsters his power with a quick prayer, and then draws from his pack one of the scrolls taken from the knife-flinging maniac. He reads the scroll out, gazing upwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, first round in the air, he casts strength on himself, and pulls a scroll of Silence from his HHH. Second round, he uses the scroll, targeting the yeth hound being ridden by the yelling figure.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+8)[12] against DC 13

The mage's voice is suddenly silenced, as the hound is surrounded by the silence spell.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-08-04 at 09:47 AM.

Don't be stupid.

19. - Top - End - #79

DruidGuy

Anu
    Anura grits her teeth in frustration at having to leave an archer behind. But with Kjapp’s assent, she nods shortly and casts another spell; everyone present (including Kjapp) feels a surge of arcane power flow through them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting (extended) ‘haste’, grants +1attack, +1dodge to AC, +1to reflex saves, one additional attack with full attack action, and +30 enhancement bonus to all movement speeds (but won’t stack with Kjapp’s ‘longstrider’ or other enhancement bonuses to speed) for 18 rounds.

Seeing the column of fire rise from the city, and hearing the baying of the many, many yeth hounds in the city, Anura frowns.

“I think we’ll have to try for the temple itself,” she says to Kjapp in a steady voice, trying to keep her fear at her first spell battle firmly in check, before looking to the others.
    "Link hands.”

She stands ready to teleport the group to the steps of the temple.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready to cast ‘teleport’ when Dothen/Hist/Grazys have linked up, aiming for the temple steps. Given that she’s spent most of the last two days in the temple I’m hoping the location counts as ‘studied carefully’ for her. I’ll let Lochar roll the d100…
    Last edited by guardinal; 2008-08-04 at 10:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dun dun DUN! (1d100)[54]

The Astral links in this area are extremely messed up, due to the curse energy, but Anura manages to force the group through and land in the temple without issue.

As you appear, you see Father Horace at the door, calling for people to come into the temple.

Around you, there are already several people from the town watching the door carefully, and nodding in shocked surprise at your appearance.

Laying on one of the pews is a man, his side gashed open fairly horribly, blood slowing running out the side even as the other acolyte whispers words of prayer, magic slowly healing the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minute 1, end. Please begin posting actions now. Once you get into battle, I will break it down into rounds.

Kjapp will show up in Minute 3.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-08-04 at 10:39 AM.

Don't be stupid.

21. - Top - End - #81

Dothen

Dothen lands and instantly fades into the background. He whispers at Anura, Is there a way ta give me flight, like when we fought the treant? Or am I **** outta luck?

22. - Top - End - #82

DruidGuy

Anu
    “Maybe not s*** out of luck. But let’s get outside first,” Anura replies shortly.

She swiftly casts another spell on herself, then flies down the stairs over the heads of those fleeing to the refuge of the temple.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anura calls up a +2 enhancement to dexterity via ‘enhance attribute’ (5min) as swift action. She then casts ‘shield’ on herself (9min duration) and flies down the steps and out of the temple, staying ~10ft. above the ground for now (flying at mv60 while ‘haste’ spell lasts).

23. - Top - End - #83

Dothen

Dothen grabs a lit candle on the way out of the chapel. He quickly snuffs it and breaks off some of the warm wax as he runs. Before he steps out side though he jams the wam wax into his ears as a stop-gap to the howling. He is careful to avoid any incoming townsfolk as he does so.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Those of you exiting the temple see several people running towards the temple itself, probably a hundred and fifty yards away.

Parts of the local buildings have been smashed, and there are four large yeth hounds flying in the air, along with eight of the smaller ones.

All the hounds seem to be howling, and all but a very few are running away from any hound.

From the number of howls, you'd guess at least twenty hounds, but you don't know exactly how many.

Father Horace looks at you all as you leave, speaking quickly. "We don't have any prayers available above the third circle. We've been using them for the summoning of meals, and we can't pray for new spells until dawn."

The baying of the hounds gets closer, as the group of them in the air you see descends upon the temple. Even as their howling begins to strike fear into you all, you notice Reid's Ebony Fly in the air, heading towards something.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just going to require one Will save, DC 17.

Horace's save: (1d20+9)[11] (1d20+6)[20]

Horace's voice shifts. "Shaking in his boots, I'm in control at the moment. You need my help, or should I go and keep those in the temple calm?"
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-08-04 at 04:35 PM.

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #85

DruidGuy

Anu
    Spoiler
    Show
    will save (w/+2 bonus from 'true believer' feat) (1d20+14)[30]

Note that those within 10' of Anura gain +2 resistance bonus to saves (but this doesn't stack with any existing resistance bonus)

EDIT:
    Seeing Reid's fly rising above and the approaching yeth hounds, Anura banks sharply left and down, landing to the immediate left of the temple stairs and trying to encompass the doorway with her magic circle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully these count as summoned creatures and so can't break the line of the magic circle.

Do we need to roll initiative?
    Last edited by guardinal; 2008-08-04 at 04:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Reid

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save (1d20+18)[21][roll]

Casting Protection from Evil on the fly. his AC is now 23 (not using his shield, because he's using one hand to maintain his grip on the fly), HP 85.

Seems like Reid will be ready to melee with the yeller directly next round, all things being equal. Is the yelling man the summoner that Reid scried a week or two ago? I'll probably need a more current description before Reid closes with him.

Oblivious to the appearance of reinforcements below, Reid repeats the simple prayer of protection, keeping (he hoped) the yeth from attacking his mount as he spiralled up. Then, taking mace in hand, he braced himself to try to take on the summoner directly.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-08-04 at 04:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Dothen

Dothen turns his head as the howls begin to rip the air. Sweat breaks out on his skull as he begins to to flee. He runs away into the darkness of the street, randomly moving down alleys and side streets.

(Edit - Obviosly the alternate word for bend, which is also the same word for roster or one of the actions of a rifle is banned.)
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-08-05 at 06:58 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Well that figures! Bastard didn't waste any time! Grazys thought to himself as the group prepared to leave the encampment.

In a moment, he stands with the others within the temple. At the priest/adventurer's query, Grazys shakes his head. "Do what ya can here. There may be more wounded soon as we'll try ta round up survivors and aim 'em here. Sound good?" he asks as he follows the others outside, popping the crystal from his enchanted rapier and placing the item onto the hilt of the silvered rapier he had recently acquired. "Meant ta mention to Kjapp that silver works best against 'em. If ya see him 'fore me, please tell him," the binder says calmly to the others as he ignores the fear-inducing baying of the yeth hounds and flicks his weapon into a ready position. "Not my most combat-ready, but I've a few tricks up my sleeves for 'em this time."

Spoiler
    Show
    Soul Guardian: Immune to fear.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

The warlock simply stood still as they appeared in the temple. His hand shook upon his staff as he looked upon the injured.

My fault. I could have stayed here...

He does not move as the others charge out. He simply remains for a few seconds, clutching his staff. Then....

Those within the temple see him slowly vanish. Those without see no sign of him as they ready for battle

Beyond sight
    Spoiler
    Show
    The newly invisible Hist flew from the temple into the air

I might not be the best person in the world, but by the gods... I'll defend this town. I have failed it with my actions, and that will not stand. Not atop everything else.

If I do die, I'll do it fighting the good fight. The honest war of the light. The way Grandfather did.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14] spot. For "Hot Spots" Places where he's needed. Staying at least 10ft from any Yeth Hounds if possible.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-08-07 at 07:25 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are a few places around the town. The tavern/inn is one, where you can see multiple hounds on the building, trying to break into it. The guardhouse is another where much baying is coming from.

There are a total of eight Yeth Hounds flying down directly at the temple at the moment.

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show

You see the mage screaming silently at you, and as you fly towards him he pulls a dagger and slices deeply into his arm, flinging the blood. The blood forms into the shape of another Yeth Hound, and the mage drops to it. As soon as he is off the silenced one, that Yeth Hound dives to you.

Everyone else:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reactions to the Yeth Hounds coming towards the temple?

Don't be stupid.