New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1429303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1399
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Auromar: Beginnings and Endings (IC4)

Anu
    "When I contacted Silas yesterday I warned him that the elf had moved far to the south. And Silas himself has seen no sign of the elf since leaving Incrucio...so he knows as much as we do at this point. But I wouldn't object to having him come with us.

"As for the divine energy Hist is holding, the 'legend lore' granted a series of visions about it but I am not entirely sure what they mean. I can share them with everyone now,"
    she glances at Hist, "assuming Hist has no objection."

2. - Top - End - #1142

DruidGuy

Anu
    “The vision was in four parts, all relating to the Icon of Pygas, each progressively more distant in time. In each vision, the Icon itself always took the form of a large winged man of gray steel.

“The first vision was the battle between the Icon and Tarrin Kael, the savior of Pyros. After a long fight, Tarrin was the victor and the Icon was shattered, as you know.

“The second vision was a confrontation between the Icon and some kind of nature spirit…something akin to Krista…at the border of a great forest. The Icon demanded the surrender of something called the “Irminsul” but the spirit refused and withdrew from sight…apparently successful in defying the Icon. I believe that ‘Irminsul’ refers to a holy tree of some kind. So perhaps this spirit was Jenamie. If half of what I’ve heard about her is true, she is considerably stronger than Krista…perhaps strong enough to defy the One.

“The third vision was of a man with the power of the Icon shining through him, standing before a glowing blue stone in a stone chamber. The stone was entwined in stones, roots and vines, and streams of water that rose into the ceiling and descended into the floor. The man touched the stone and spoke, “As the god Pygas has died, so shall this land. Bind the spirit of the land in death and curse, plague the peoples that follow the ghost of a god. Raise up in still death the followers of a new justice, one that will not falter in it's path. So sayeth the One true god of all the lands, the god without a name.” Then the roots and vines rot, and the water blackens before it stops flowing. The glow changes first to a blood red, before darkening to a red so dark it appears as blackened blood.”

Anura pauses and looks around at the others. “These visions do seem to confirm…to my mind, anyway…that the divine energy within Hist is from the diety that we know as the One, and that it was a champion of the One who blighted Auromar. But the last vision, if anything, makes the relationship between Pygas and the One more difficult to understand.

“The last vision was of a place of power…a building…in a great field. There seemed to be spirits standing all around. Suddenly an old half-elven man strides forward.”
    Anura pauses here, making sure to remember the exact wording. “The elf speaks, saying, ‘Pygas, I bear grief against you, Lord of False Justice.’ The air itself darkened, and the Icon appears, while the spirits disappear. It speaks, saying, ‘What grief do you have against me, for I am not False Justice, but the arbitrater of True Justice.’ The elderly man responds, ‘The grief that you took away everything from me, in response to a claim I could not have done. I spent my fortune, my life, and even my very soul to find a way to repay you. And now I have done it!’ The elf stamps his staff on the ground, and the ground itself seems to try to tear itself apart. The spirits reappear and attempt to shield the Icon, but the elf ignores them and shouts, ‘The land now rejects you, I have seen to it! You will wither and die NOW!’

At his words the land blackens and cracks, and the building crumbles as the Icon seems to struggle with something. After a moment, the Icon falls to one knee, the divine material that makes it up seeming to shimmer, warp, and bend. After a moment, the whole of the land changes and the people, spirits probably, vanish, leaving only the Icon and the elf.

The Icon stands once more, and the elf looks flabbergasted. The Icon motions with one hand, and the elf is flayed alive by nothing, and the body falls, yet the spirit still stands. ‘You killed Pygas, yes. And now I stand in his place. And you will stand in this place, remembering your folly.’

Anura looks around at the others. “I should warn you that though a ‘legend lore’ spell is powerful, this was much more specific and detailed information than I expected to receive about the divine energy within Hist. And I am mindful that Hist is bound to the Scholar and his circle, and that the Scholar’s circle seemed able to cloud my divinations before. So it is possible the ring’s magic was deceived. But I am inclined to believe these visions were a true, literal glimpse into the past…tracing the corruption of Pygas back to its beginning.

“The most obvious explanation of this last vision, based on what we already know, is that it is of the Most Hallowed Grounds, that the half-elf was an agent of the Scholar, and whatever magic he triggered was what corrupted Pygas into his new incarnation. But then I don’t know where the great and terrible battle we have heard rumors of would fit in. Perhaps the Pygas-worshippers of the time turned on their god, trying to undo what had happened? I’m also puzzled about what the Icon twice stated in the visions, that Pygas was deadand ‘the One’ stood in his stead. Boccob had already confirmed to me that ‘Pygas’ and ‘the One’ were different names for the same divine entity. And Hist himself says that the divine spark within him originally spoke as the One, and only recently and gradually seems to have spoken as Pygas. I can only hope that we’ll be able to clear things up when we reach our destination. We should also be ready to confront the spirit of this half-elf, since it seems he was cursed to haunt the place.”
    Last edited by guardinal; 2009-02-09 at 12:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

As Reid and Hist spend their time in prayer Kjapp wonders around the area his eyes alternating between the horizon and the land beneath his feet, his hands straying at times to near branches.

When conversation turns to Silas Kjapp asks "Anura, do you think you can spare a small amount of the blood that you have used to scry the summoner? If we get close and I need to track him it would help greatly."

4. - Top - End - #1144

DruidGuy

Anu
    "Certainly. Though I expect he can fly now, as a yeth hound does."

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Bugbear in the Playground

uri

If he is in the air , Wally and I should be able to keep up with him. says the paladin as he straps on his armor after polishing it and removing sweat salts. His morning exertions with a sword are more of a kata than a prayer.

[sorry for short but haven't been able to get a post in the first time in days]
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

The binder nods his head. "An' remember, they have perfect control o' their movement while flyin'."
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

7. - Top - End - #1147

DruidGuy

Anu
    Since no one has claimed them, Anu reclaims the pots of magical ungents and puts them in her haversack, leaving the remaining items on the ground.

"I've no more room in my haversack. Someone will need to carry the rest," she says.

Anura casts 'mage armor' on herself and awaits Reid's spell, looking frustrated that the question of the divine energies remains unresolved.
    Last edited by guardinal; 2009-02-11 at 11:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

"No worries. I'll carry tha rest o' it." As he starts placing the items into his pack, he pauses a moment and looks up at the others, brow furrowed. "Um. Is someone gonna be able ta make me fly? If not, we're gonna hafta ground tha bastard so I can use the dispellin' touches."

9. - Top - End - #1149

DruidGuy

Anu
    "I don't think we'll be able to confront him today, if he's still thousands of miles to the south. Perhaps tomorrow, or the day after."

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys shrugs and returns to picking up the items. "Fair 'nuff. Is it gonna be an option?"

11. - Top - End - #1151

DruidGuy

Anu
    Anura shrugs in return. "I know spells to grant flight, yes. And I think Reid could cast a spell to let you walk on air."

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys shrugs again, but winks and grins as he rises. "As long as I can keep up with 'em, I don't much care how tha source."

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid gathers up the remnants of the shared magics, and finds room for them in his pack.

"All right, then. We'll start with Silas, then? I'm not sure what else we have to say to him, but perhaps his Herald will have something to say at that point."

Again, Reid chants while rotating in a circle, then comes to rest facing in a certain direction. He marks the direction as best he can using the landmarks and sun's position.

He's that way. Everyone ready to go?

Barring further conversation, he chants again, touching each member of the group in turn. Everyone transforms into a coherent vapor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hospitals get the good drugs!

Reid will cast Circle Dance to locate Silas, and unless Silas is way off course from where we think he is (more or less south west), he'll go ahead with the casting of two Wind Walks. This means that he's got enough for a separate touch for Wally and a possible animal companion, if Kjapp has one), if desired.

Suggest that we travel more or less together, at a cruising altitude of about 5000 feet. If we don't stop for (for instance) Silas, we should be able to cover 720 miles today.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp pays close attention to where Reid's circle dance points, taking his own bearings then nods his readiness.

Spoiler
    Show
    No animal companion yet, there was/is the whole food issue.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Troll in the Playground

Reid's magics carry everyone aloft, and you make very good time as vapor in the air.

Seven hundred twenty miles in the direction of Silas takes you within less than half a day's travel by phantom horse to his last location. Once you all descend, you find yourself on a deserted part of the continent, surrounded by nothing by dead grasslands and semi-desert conditions.

It's about an hour until dark.

Doing the math, Anura and Reid are able to calculate that another half day of wind walking would put them within teleportation distance of the elf.

Looking at Uri's map, which has been keeping itself updated, you find you're actually about a day by phantom horse to the Battlegrounds, nearly directly south.

So apparently, the summoner is not at the Battlegrounds, but somewhere further southwest.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Noting the not-so-far-distance to the Battlegrounds, the binder points it out on the map. "Minor detour first?" Grazys inquires.

17. - Top - End - #1157

DruidGuy

Anu
    Anura obviously enjoys the effects of Reid's spell over the day's travel, reveling in the power and speed of the magic.

"A remarkable experience, Reid. Thank you." she says with a smile as she reforms, looking somewhat flushed.

At Grazys' comment, her expression turns serious.

"I would still very strongly prefer to deal with the elf first. I thought that was what we decided yesterday." Anura pauses.

"We might well face the elf or other dangers tomorrow. So I think it is time that we make a decision on the divine energy...both what we've gathered already, and what we might encounter as we continue. I still believe we should channel the energies to Boccob for safekeeping.

"I'll explain my reasoning again. We don't know whether empowering the 'Pygas' that Hist is in contact with is something we want or need to do. We don't know if or how the Scholar might be able to tap the divine energies that Hist has absorbed, or that he might absorb in the future. We do have good reason to believe that if Hist were to die, then all the energy he has absorbed...along with 'Pygas'' divine spark and consciousness... will pass to the Scholar. Hist believes that 'Pygas'' spirit would die if the divine spark is separated from him, so perhaps there is nothing we can do about that. But putting the other divine energies in Boccob's keeping puts them safely beyond anyone's reach until we decide what, if anything, needs to be done with it. We will have prevented the Scholar from ever claiming the energies, and we will have left our options open regarding the rebirth of 'Pygas.'"

She looks around at the others, particularly Reid and Hist. "Are we ready to make this decision?"
    Last edited by guardinal; 2009-02-12 at 06:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uri

Reid's spell is awesome, Uri travels even faster than with Wally. Next time my friend we take the my feathered friend, he'd get a kick out of that. being a naturally suspicios person Uri calls Wally a moment later and stands near the pegasus, sword in hand watching as the others recover themselves and Grazys speaks.

I stand behind Anura on this one. Her logic seems relatively flawless to me. I do not like another god other than Pelor recieving the energy by Boccob is the most intelligent choice on this. I am not comfortable with channeling it to whomever is pulling Histantos' strings.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys shakes his head, but looks to Hist for his reaction before commenting.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I won't wait too long. Is MoralWiz gone? What's goin' on with him?

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid is also still absorbing the effect of such high-speed flight. He nods slowly after Uri speaks. It's clear that both Anura and Uri's opinions hold a great deal of sway with him.

"Lord Pelor decision to assist Pygas doesn't indicate that that needs to take priority over other considerations. I would also support the shifting of any curse energy we find to Boccob's realm, for the time being. As we've already seen, it's entirely possible for another god to shift that "spark" back to Pygas as deemed appropriate."

He smiled at Grazys, and begins pulling out the leftovers from the morning's summoned meal.

"I'm afraid I also agree that I'd rather deal with the summoner first, and then loop back to the battlegrounds, Grazys. As far as we know, there's nothing timely going on there, whereas we can be assured that the elf is up to something on behalf of the Scholar."

He too looks over at Hist, a bit uneasily.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Moral Wiz can work with what I give him, if he comes back.

Hist frowns at Anura. "You do realize that the energy belongs to Pygas, and it is what sustains both him and my own abilities as Herald? Should I give them over to you, for 'safe-keeping,' then I am weakening myself, less able to protect my God."

Hist holds up his hands, the scar tissue still visible. "And have you forgotten that I know of only one way to invoke the energy? I only sent a fraction of it at Reid, and look what happened to the both of us. I do not know exactly how much more I have to give away like that before I am left with just enough to sustain Lord Pygas. But certainly, it is at least ten times the amount that I used against Reid. Do you care to have that used against you, to send it on to your master's realm?"
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

The binder holds up a restraining hand towards his friend. "I think Anura's already acceded ta lettin' ya keep what ya've got. The question is about whatever else we may encounter. I think, for tha sake o' unity an' cohesion, however, it may be best ta go with this, Hist. Hold what ya've got, but let's send anythin' new ta this holdin' tank, eh?"
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2009-02-13 at 11:39 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1163

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GimliFett View Post
    Grazys

The binder holds up a restraining hand towards his friend. "I think Anura's already acceded ta lettin' ya keep what ya've got. The question is about whatever else we may encounter. I think, for tha sake o' unity an' cohesion, however, it may be best ta go with this, Hist. Hold what ya've got, but let's send anythin' new ta this holdin' tank, eh?"
    Anu
    "No, Hist is correct. I have agreed that we must risk leaving the divine spark with Hist, in case in the end we decide that Pygas must be restored. But the other divine energies he has already absorbed are not necessary to sustain Pygas," Anura says. "And while those energies remain with Hist, there is too great a risk that the Scholar can claim them- either by simply killing Hist, or by some other means."

She pauses, and frowns, looking at Hist. "And what, exactly, do you mean by your 'abilities as a Herald'? You told us 'Pygas' was speaking to you even before you absorbed any of the divine energies of Auromar. And you promised, repeatedly, that you had told us everything relevant to these matters."
    Last edited by guardinal; 2009-02-13 at 12:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Quote Originally Posted by guardinal View Post
    Anu
    "No, Hist is correct. I have agreed that we must risk leaving the divine spark with Hist, in case in the end we decide that Pygas must be restored. But the other divine energies he has already absorbed are not necessary to sustain Pygas," Anura says. "And while those energies remain with Hist, there is too great a risk that the Scholar can claim them- either by simply killing Hist, or by some other means."
    "Oh. My mistake." He shrugs and looks from Anura to Hist and back again. "That's a little different. We're walkin' a razor's edge as it is. I don't wanna force him ta do somethin' he thinks will damage Pygas, 'specially as Pygas got me returned ta this mortal coil. I don't know what repercussions might follow."
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2009-02-13 at 12:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp marvels at the experience of flight, taking the oppoortunity to do some light arobatics as the wind gusts them along.

"It is not often I travel faster or further than my own feet can carry me, that truly was amazing," he adds after they return to the ground.

When everyone has finished exalting in the experience Kjapp nods in agreement with Anura on both points, "I would rather remove the threat of the summoner sooner than later, as who knows what he may get up to while we explore the battlegrounds. The issue of the curse energy, I think it should go to Boccobs realm for now rather than a mortal."
    Last edited by Greymist; 2009-02-13 at 02:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guardinal View Post
    Anu

She pauses, and frowns, looking at Hist. "And what, exactly, do you mean by your 'abilities as a Herald'? You told us 'Pygas' was speaking to you even before you absorbed any of the divine energies of Auromar. And you promised, repeatedly, that you had told us everything relevant to these matters."
    "I have. What difference does it make whether or not I can use the divine energy as a tool to empower my flames occasionally as I was before, or if as a Herald, I can do so more frequently? And Pygas allows me to attempt to cut off his worshippers. Why I could not do so with Silas still confounds me, and Lord Pygas will not tell me why either. Although, I think that Silas' prayers found a different entrance to speak with him. Most likely something AT the Holy Grounds. Since I thought we were going there anyways, I didn't see the need to expound needlessly on it."

Don't be stupid.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

The binder turns a puzzled look on his friend, mouth slightly open for a moment before he realizes it and closes it with an audible snap.

28. - Top - End - #1168

DruidGuy

Anu
    Anura blinks, then shakes her head slowly. "It astounds me that given all that's happened, given everything we know and still don't know about what is happening, you would even consider mingling this divine energy with your Scholar-granted powers."

"If I've understood everyone, then we have three votes- myself, Saer Uri, and Kjapp- for channeling the energies we have already, and any we might yet find, to Boccob's keeping. We have two votes- Reid and Grazys- for letting Hist retain...and apparently use...the divine energies we've already collected, but for channeling any additional energies to Boccob. And one vote- Hist- for continuing on as we have been."

She looks at Reid and Grazys.

"I am confident that neither I nor Hist will be harmed if we were to channel the divine energies from Hist to Boccob through me. I believe Reid and Hist's earlier attempt failed because Reid had not been empowered to channel the divine energies; I have. I am also confident that 'Pygas' would not be harmed so long as Hist retains the divine spark...though he would return to the same strength he was before Hist absorbed any energies. But the stakes are certainly high. So I am willing to pay the costs to consult Boccob and set to rest any lingering doubts...if, after confirming that the transfer can be accomplished safely, then we will proceed."

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

With a nod to Anura, Grazys lowers his gaze first, then his body, to the ground, reclining comfortably on his haversack.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2009-02-13 at 04:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

"And does the god whose energy you are trying to take have any say in this?" Hist asks. "At least part of the reason both Reid and I were injured was because Pygas fought channeling any of his energy away in a permanent manner. Not that he was able to stop me from doing so, but he had exacted his pound of flesh for doing it. And I would guess that the more I channel away, the larger that pound will be."

Hist is walking animatedly as he argues. "And if you had laid out these options as you state now before my morning prayers, I would have brought the idea of any more of my God's energy being sent to Boccob instead of where they belong. I could possibly have gotten his agreement on that, provided he were to keep what he currently has."

Don't be stupid.