New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Auromar: Beginnings and Endings (IC4)

Reid

Reid has by now given up on trying to figure out what game the gods are playing at tonight. Some sort of spark near Grazys, and now this? He is now simply intent on coming out the other side of it, if he can. The snapping jaws of yeth hounds is a wonderful focusing agent.

The fountain of flame that was meant NOT to kill, but to in some way restore Grazys. Steering clear of the place where the skull and flame had appeared, Reid continued to try to draw himself down closer to the ground, hoping that the enclosed space would make the pack's maneuvering more difficult. His whispered prayer is lost immediately in the wind.

Lord Sun-Father, help me keep the townsfolk safe, I beg you. Do not let slip these dogs of war.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reid den Birchcliff, Pod Racer.

Miraculously and temporarily, Reid is at 85 hp.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-08-18 at 08:47 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Anu
    Anura skims over the rooftops as fast as her magic can bear her, relieved to see the top of the globe of light still bobbing and weaving through the nearby streets. Moving to intercept, she finally cuts over a corner and manages to get close enough for her spell. Not wanting to attract any canine attention, her hand moves deftly but she speaks not a word, altering the spell even as she casts it.

Spoiler
    Show
    casting a silent, quickened ‘message’ spell (range 190ft., duration 1 round) via her metamorphic spell ability.

Reid suddenly hears Anura’s weary voice whispering in his ear.

“Reid, take the next two lefts and then a right to return to the temple. Stay low. I’ll ‘web’ them in the final stretch. Understood?”

Anura delays only long enough to hear any (hopefully brief) answer from Reid, then cuts over the rooftops, directly back towards the temple square at a double move.

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show

AC19, touch 13, flat-footed 20 (additional +2 deflection vs. evil, not included)
    HP: 60/42 (18 temporary hp)
    Last edited by guardinal; 2008-08-18 at 10:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid initially nods, then realizes that he needs to verbalize.

Understood. Let me lead off with a flame strike, and that'll be a signal for you to cast.

Reid guides the fly off to the left.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Back in the courtyard

In Anura's absence, the blood soaked Hist takes charge, bellowing at the top of his lungs, trying to ignore the pain

Grazys, get Dothen into the temple. I don't want any Yeth using him as food. Stay there yourself too, unless you've got a potion on you, or some other healing trick. You're... not in the best of shape, and if this goes wrong, you won't be able to save it. Just make sure the innocent are Ok.

Kjapp, I... don't suppose I could have a swig of that potion, could I? I'm starting to feel my wounds a bit

Spoiler
    Show
    He's bleeding all over the place
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1 of 2 pre-enactment of the plan.

HP 85. AC now 26.

Preparing for the worst, Reid slips his shield from his back onto his left arm, maintaining control with his right.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Wait! Kjapp calls, a concerned look on his face If you're going to move Dothen don't do it too quickly, we have to give his spirit time to move with his body so the guards can't sever his cord.

At Hist's request he passes him the potion. Is there anything else I should know about these nasty dogs?

Kjapp then stands near the entrance to the temple with a line of arrows in the ground beside him ready to use.

Damned if I'm going to send a stray arrow off again

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 88
    AC: 20
    Current Spells Active: Long Strider

Also using pearl of power to recall protection from evil and readied action to cast protection from evil
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-08-18 at 11:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kjapp, no way you're going to be able to go from near the temple to Hist and back again in one round, and hand over the potion in one round. At least, unless Long Strider lets you do that

Don't worry, we shouldn't be fighting there anyway. Hist's got a plan (sort of) to divert attention from the temple, even if this gets fouled up. He'll explain next round. But if they get near the temple... well, the walls might fall first.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, this is round two. Assuming that's Ok

With a muttered thanks, Hist quickly drinks the potion

We don't have time for that. He'll be fine, and I can't recall any spirits at the temple. Grazys, just get him in there.

He gestures in the direction of the allyway opposite Anura's target

Kjapp, get back there, and ready to open fire. If they seem like coming close, run, and try to get them tangled up in the allyways, getting in each others way. That should keep them from the temple

Hist takes up a position to one side of the allyway, further from the temple, still with a line of fire, but with a bit more angle between the hounds and him
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dothen

Spoiler
    Show

HP:1? (25/58 before the blast, minus umpteen gazillion subdual)

Fishy f***ing bargains of hell! Dothen swears to himself and looks at his slumped form. He says to himself With any luck we're still breathing old son. He quickly searches his spiritual form for a weapon or anything.

Looking around he shouts to the spirits standing around. Hey you blighters! Isn't there anything you can do to stop the destruction of yer town? Anyone seen the summoner who started this mess?

Maybe if I can distract them by trying to get them involved in this mess ta save their town so they don't come after me.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-08-19 at 01:52 AM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Dothen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They shrug. "We haven't seen any summoner or anything like that, no."

"Just you guys, fighting those things."
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-08-19 at 06:15 AM.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #221

Dothen
    Spoiler
    Show
    {Assuming I'm out of combat rounds}

Well bugger that! You didn't see an elf in robes bleeding out hounds? Gah! Can any of ya affect the physical at all? We're here fighting to remove the curse that bound you all here. We need to help them somehow. Dothen says to the mess of spirits standing around.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Dothen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "A Pygasian priest went into the temple..." another offers. "But none of us are able to effect anyone awake, no."

Spoiler
    Show
    Dothen has one item. remember a long time ago when I asked what item best described you?
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

13. - Top - End - #223

Dothen

Spoiler
    Show

Dothen's hand slides to his hip, the comfortable weight of the cleaver slidingi into his hand. He smiles and looks around the area.

**Looking at the guards and villager spirits - are any of them looking at Dothen strangely/hostiley? Spot (1d20+13)[24] Sense Motive (1d20+1)[19]

If none is seeminly going to attack him or his cord he will look for a nearby hound to attempt to strike at. Or Hist, who currently has the Ghost Shroud.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Dothen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guards are watching you warily, but not making any move towards you. Hist has moved off, away from the temple area and down a side alley.

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #225

Dothen

Spoiler
    Show
    Dothen eye-balls the largest or most in charge looking guardsman, saying to him with all seriousness If you want a piece of me come and get it. But you might be better served by trying to help me save your wretched town. He then takes a step to the side away from his body.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Dothen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guard barks a laugh. "You think we haven't tried that yet? Good luck on your own part."

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #227

Dothen

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I gotta try. Dothen turns looking for the rest of the group.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 2 of prep.

In case Yeth Hounds spoke the common tongue, Reid thought to call out: Oh, no! The fly must be exhausted! I seem to be slowing down.

Reid swerved left and then right, glad to see the straightaway ahead. He gripped the fly with his knees and raised his right hand, ready to invoke one of his most powerful prayers.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone makes last second preparations, getting set up for what is likely to be the fight of and for their lives.

Reid comes barreling down the road that Anura directed him to, flying at full speed, no longer taunting the hounds. He needs the room to turn around and cast, after all.

The pack of hounds is quite literally, huge. A seething, roiling mass of teeth and claws, all howling and bellowing for blood. At a quick glance, there has to be at least two dozen of the hounds, mostly of the larger variety. Running through the air, claws barely scraping the ground or the walls of the buildings around them, the pack hungers for Reid's blood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Although I misread the rule on circle against evil, I will put this down right now. Protection from evil, once you attack something, that something can attack you back. So Reid, I strongly suggest one your next turn you get inside Anura's circle. You may attack without fear inside the circle from evil. Although after this battle, that won't be legal again.

Don't be stupid.

20. - Top - End - #230

DruidGuy

Anu
    Spoiler
    Show
    (I think this happens in round 2? Hopefully Anura was smart enough to plot a course for Reid that got him back to the temple square after her...)

Anura rockets into the temple square, landing rather ungracefully only 10ft. from the opening of Unholy Screaming Death Blvd.

If she has a move action remaining this round, she pulls out her first 'web' scroll.

Twisting another 'message' spell to suit her most immediate need, Anura rapidly points to all party members within range that she can see, including Reid, hissing a quickened spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    quickened 'message' spell (duration 1rd), range 190ft., with metamorphic spell ability.

"My magic circle should hold them off so long as those within stick to ranged attacks. So everyone assemble to me now, if you can." she whispers through the link.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC19, touch 13, flat-footed 20 (additional +2 deflection vs. evil, not included)
    Last edited by guardinal; 2008-08-19 at 10:43 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Anura:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the end of round 2/beginning of round 3. Reid actually has a higher movement speed than the hounds, he had just been purposely going slower to keep the hounds interested in him. So he's far enough ahead of them that medium range spells like web and flame strike can be cast before they can get to you.

Don't be stupid.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 31/63; AC: 22

Grazys nods to Hist. "Luck!" he calls as he moves to Dothen and hefts the tiefling. Noticing his rapier beside his friend he lifts it in his primary hand and starts making his way for the temple. "Probably not what you were plannin' when ya tried ta pick me up, huh mate?" he mutters to the unconscious mercenary.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

23. - Top - End - #233

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: OK, thanks for the clarification!

For her readied 'web' casting, Anura will cast once the last flames of the flamestrike fizzle out. She will try to let the first hounds get to about 60ft. of her position, but obviously the priority is to try to maximize the # of hounds caught in the AoE. Her expectation is that any behind the web will either crash into it or (more likely) have to break their charge in order to fly over it.

Anura post-web-casting initiative (with 'nerveskitter' cast as an immediate action): (1d20+10)[24]

EDIT: Nevermind the above part! Map looks fine!
    Last edited by guardinal; 2008-08-19 at 11:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid and the fly put on a burst of speed, zipping up before landing heavily behind Anura.

Oof!

Reaching out to complete his prayer, Reid sends yet another column of flames heavenward. This one, though, is not so merciful as the one that engulfed Grazys. This one, he hoped, would send some of the hounds back where they came from.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

For the third time this night, a column of flame rises into the sky, burning away the smaller hounds entirely, and roasting most of the rest of them. The group howls and drives towards Reid, and are utterly surprised when a web springs from no where, entangling most, completely webbing a few more, and only the few in the back of the group are able to veer off in time to go around.

All of the hounds begin struggling, with the three that managed to not get stuck flying around the large mass of webbing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Init, groups of hounds per init.

Group 1: Hounds 5' from exit
    (1d20+5)[25]

Group 2: Hounds 10' from exit
    (1d20+5)[14]

Group 3: Hounds 15' from exit
    (1d20+5)[22]

Group 4: Hounds 20' from exit
    (1d20+5)[19]

Group 5: Webbed hounds
    (1d20+5)[18]

Group 6: Free hounds
    (1d20+5)[6]

Don't be stupid.

26. - Top - End - #236

DruidGuy

Initiative 24 <<<

Anu
    Anura nods in satisfaction and draws out her second 'web' scroll (move action), casting it to ensnare those hounds closest to escaping.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting another 'web' spell via scroll, Reflex DC13, centered on AX-25. Also, minor quibble- the web AoE is 40ft. radius. The existing web looks a little small...

"Don't use fire in the webs...at least not yet. They will burn away too quickly," she calls to the others.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237

Dothen

Spoiler
    Show

Init (1d20+5)[20] -

Dothen looks around at his spiritual cord as he feels his body being carried away by Grazys. Shaking his head he says to himself while eyeballing the guards, Ach! Well I guess I am innit now. Well and truly fooked!

Time for some fun!
    With out warning he dashes over to Hist. Silver line trailing out behind him.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-08-19 at 01:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist nods

Thankfully my blast isn't true fire. Still, best to be safe

Spoiler
    Show
    Lochar, does Hist have LoS on any of the free hounds?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

29. - Top - End - #239

DruidGuy

Anu
    Anura meets the eyes of Dothen's ethereal spirit and winks, though her expression doesn't otherwise change.

"Grazys, the temple's closed up, remember? Bring Dothen here!" she yells out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still within the 25-word limit...

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 31/63; AC: 22

Grazys shakes his head ruefully. "Right. Ya'll havta 'scuse me if I forget a few things. I was dead," he rolls his eyes as he carries Dothen over to Anura. "Think I can bind a vestige real quick-like here?"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.