New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Isle of Aspergillum - Act 1 - Road to Cordell

Demetrios

Demetrios turns to Kavri. "I don't really remember anything... only that she met father near Never Haven, stayed long enough to give me birth, and then ran off... Not much really. I thought I'd better start somewhere, and I was fairly sure she wouldn't be in Never Haven, where she might bump into Dad at any time."

Noticing the paper in his hand, Demetrios tries to steal a glance, asking Salvatori "What's this?"
    Today’s lesson is brought to you by the number e and the letter 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    A not unblack dog chased a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.
    - George Orwell, Language and Politics

Awarded 1 Internet by Vuzzmop
    Awesome teacher avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

Kavri:

Kavri looks over at Salvatori, but then decides he'll tell Demetrios. If showed it to me, he doesn't want to keep it that secret. "It's a letter about a God or something. Here." Kavri hands over the letter.

Spoiler
    Show
    "To the high Paladin of the Order of the Grail

I bring to your attention a matter of the most dire urgency, it has come to my attention that on the last visit of the nobleman William Hapsley that his son Johnathon has been indulging in the worship of Chaos gods and in the practice of unclean magics, I would request that you investigate the matter futher and send a representative to my Manor in Cordell so that I might turn over to you some materials I confiscated, and provide a statement of what I witnessed

Kind regards in troubling times

Richard Halbrook, 3rd Baron of Cordell"

"It sounds interesting Salvatori. I'd like to give it a go." I seriously doubt that's how adventurers sound. Oh well, I'm still getting somewhere now.
    Last edited by Knubs; 2008-08-16 at 11:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll take that as general consent from Salvvatori, Kavri & Demetrios that they are going to see the Baron, Richard Halbrook. Unless Alix want's to say anything... nudge nudge... hint hint.

4. - Top - End - #94

Alix Lundgren

Alix watches the other huddle up with an appraising eye, her stave slung across her shoulder casually.

What are they whispering about?

She tries to resist the temptation to lean in closer, her curiosity itching at her almost irresistibly, but a detail from earlier is bothering her even more. She approaches Toby, throwing one last longing glance at the little gathering, with their secretive slips of paper.

"Toby, vhen the lad with the donkey came into the Hearth... vhy did you react like that?"
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2008-08-12 at 09:23 PM.
    Good grammar is hot.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

"He looks like the Artisan, that is what we call her, she lives up the north road a few miles, in the side of the cliff. An elf, comes into town not more'n four times a year, some say she is crazy, some say she is wise, not too sure myself" Comes Toby's reply, he is scratching his chin as he speaks, trying to keep his voice down a little, but it is not so quiet that the huddled group don't hear it.

"Say, what is that you're all huddled round anyway? If it is information you are looking for me an' Alix here are you're best source, not no-one comes into town without stopping at the Hatchet & Hearth, we get all sorts, lumberjacks, traders..." he continues rambling on in this fashion, telling you about the price of ale, how many people he stayed last month, what the weather was like and so on. Rambling as usual.

6. - Top - End - #96

Demetrios

"So, you work for the Order of the Grail? It looks important. If you'll have me, I'd gladl join you - I doubt I'll be able to find out much about mother here." Demetrios sighs, thinking about how he left his family, his friends, Gabrielle... And he remembers why he left. I've got to find mother. Anything would be better than staying another day near her.

Thinking on everything that had happened up until then, he wonders why the barman had come right to him. Then again, I certainly wouldn't let a child drag in a body without comment.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Salvatori:

I'd rather not share it with you. This type of information might cause a mob, and you seem to have a loose tongue. We do need someone to guide us to the baron's house, however. "Well, if your inn's that busy, you should really be getting back to it. We could use a guide to Baron Halbrook's house." Salvatori takes the letter back from Demetrios and gives him a dumbfounded look. After a second of the shocked look, Salvatori responds with bitter sarcasm. "Yes Demetrios, I am the high Paladin of the Order of the Grail. Quite an accomplishment for someone who doesn't even shave yet, don't you think?"
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

8. - Top - End - #98

Alix Lundgren

What IS there little secret... they've only known each other an hour or so, and they've already got plans. Her curiosity gets the better of her, and Alix pipes up, addressing Salvatori, "Er, vhith Toby's permission, I could show you the Baron's House, ya? It's not hard to find, but I can take you to it."

One hand still grips her quarterstaff on her shoulder, but the other is tucked in her belt pouch, fiddling with the folded slip of paper there.
    Good grammar is hot.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Go ahead and take them, it will be a quiet night anyway, with everyone making ready for the festival"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Taken as general consent to going to the Baron's manor.

Alix leads the group (Kavri, Demetrios & Salvatori {I'm assuming Orin is going to go see the Burgomeister instead as per his previous engagement}) through the town and up to the Baron's manor house, the gates are not guarded, and have been pushed open enough for you to walk through. It is a large manor two storeys, maybe 25 rooms including the servants quarters, it is a salmon sandstone and ironwood construction. To large red lacquered doors stand at the front entry.

11. - Top - End - #101

Demetrios

"Wow... This is... Is this all just one person's house?"

Demetrios is stunned. Living on a farm, with only occaisional visits to local villages and towns, he'd never seen such a large house before. At least, not without being completely dwarfed by a barn or the landscape. Having a building this big amongst other buildings made it seem... bigger.

Great. Now I've shown everyone else just how much of a country bumpkin I am, as if I hadn't already made it pretty clear. Maybe bringing Diomedes wasn't such a great idea. Well, I guess I'll have to try harder to shake this impression.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"No," a voice says in response to Demetrios's statement.

A young man rounds the corner of the house and accosts the intruders. He is decked out in light blue finery from head to toe. His hand is on a dagger at his belt.

"No, it's not just for one person. My mother and I still live here, the servants should be living here, although I don't know where the devil they've gotten off to... My father must have taken the bulk of them along on his hunting trip. Anyway, after the last group of ruffians tore through my home, I figured it'd be wise to keep an eye on the gate. Sure enough, another band of intruders dares to charge into the Baron Halbrook's estate uninvited. When will you people learn some manners?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Henry's got a date to get to, so I figured I'd take a shortcut and make an entrance now rather than wait for one of you to finally knock on the door... or not knock on the door, if you're as rude as the last gatecrashers.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-08-15 at 09:46 AM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

13. - Top - End - #103

Orin Oakenshield

Due to previous engagements Orin goes and sees the burgomeister for his "reward" for helping Maelin. Seeing Daffyd on the front porch Orin says Maelin sent me here to pick up something for me helping him out.

14. - Top - End - #104

Salvatori:

Salvatori jumps slightly as the newcomer appears from around the house. He notes the young man's hand on his dagger and becomes very conscious of his own weapon. He offers a nervous smile as he brushes some of his red hair out of his eyes. "I assure you, we were intending to knock. We have a letter that we wished to discuss with the Baron."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

15. - Top - End - #105

Kavri:

"So if you and your mother are the only ones who live here, I assume you're the 3rd baron of Cordell?" Kavri asks. He seems rather young to be sending out these official requests for high paladins and so forth... and he lives with his mom.
    Last edited by Knubs; 2008-08-16 at 11:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

BlueWizardGirl

Henry raises a hand to his temple and puts on a pained expression, as if he has a headache.

"I must not have made myself clear... I am the Baron's son. Henry Halbrook. My father is out hunting, but if you truly need to speak with him, he'll be at the Summer's End Festival, and you can pester him there. I doubt you'll get much of an audience, but at least you should be able to blurt out a few words. I would advise you, though, to take whatever problem you may have to the Burgomeister instead. These things go so much more smoothly when you follow the proper channels."

He removes his hand from the dagger.

"Look, I know I'm being terribly rude, but I was just threatened in my home by two armed men who were also asking for the Baron, and..."

His voice trails off for a moment, then he points an accusatory finger at Salvatori.

"YOU! One of my attackers looked just like you, apart from the crazy hair! And he said his brother was... MEIN GOTT IN HIMMEL, you must be the fratricidal paladin he warned me about! EN GARDE!"

Henry draws his dagger and takes a cautious step towards the boy with the multicolored hair.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-08-15 at 11:52 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Salvatori:

Salvatori directs his look that he had so recently used on Demetrios to Kavri. There is the second of stunned silence before he speaks. "I think it's more likely that he's the fourth baron of Cordell, potentially. Unless you believe me to be the high Paladin of the Order of the Grail as well."

EDIT (because I was simu-posted by Ascension):

Salvatori steps back as Henry accuses him. He steels his will and does not draw his dagger. Please be reasonable about this. Please, please, please. "No. I'm not. Do I look like the high Paladin of the Order of the Grail? It's not exactly a position I thought I'd be mistaken for twice in the same day!" Erikkin, you arrogant fool! You can't randomly run into people's houses and accost them!
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2008-08-15 at 02:54 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #108

Demetrios

"I think we could all stand to calm down a little..." he says weakly.

Why on earth would somebody warn the Baron's son about Salvatori? Fratricide? I wouldn't have put him as a murderer...
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

Kavri's first instinct is to draw his rapier, and he takes it half out of his belt before he stops himself. "Yeah, this is probably just some misunderstanding. Salvatori had trouble lifting the stretcher which you don't know about, but there was this guy who took some pills and collapsed. We were there, so we put him on a stretcher and took him to this old guy (creepy), and he did some... well, anyway, Salvatori just isn't strong enough to be some high paladin, no offense." I need to stop doing that. Just need to keep focused and not ramble like an idiot. Goblins don't sit and wait for your long stories to finish before stabbing you dead.
    Last edited by Knubs; 2008-08-16 at 11:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

BlueWizardGirl

Henry narrows his eyes and assesses Salvatori with a suspiscious glare.

"True, you don't look like much, but... oh, forget it."

He sheathes his dagger.

"Look, I've just had a really stressful day, you understand? I realize there's some kind of crazy shenanigans going on involving you and your brothers and my father and whatever, but look, I want no part of it. I just live here, and I pretty much only do that for the benefit of my mother. All this heavy baronish stuff, I usually stay far, far away from it. Today is the perfect example of the kind of day that led to my adoption of this policy."

He attempts to shoo the trio away with his hands.

"Now will you please go pester someone else? Try the Burgomeister, try my father, try to track down your crazy brother and his friend with the longbow, whatever, just don't get me involved in it."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Alix Lundgren

Alix watches the confrontation with her jaw slightly agape. Drawn blades, break-ins and death threats were not common parts of Cordell living. When the Baron's son advanced, blade drawn, she made no move to brace herself as Tomas had taught her—she was too startled at seeing the Baron's amiable son with blade in hand, and the blade was, after all, directed at Salvatori and not at herself.

All the same, she reprimands herself to for her laxity, and lowers the quarterstaff from her shoulder warily. She missed her opportunity for introductions in the heat of the meeting, and her companions have yet to privy her to whatever it is they're up to, so she can only watch with guarded interest from the sidelines.
    Good grammar is hot.

22. - Top - End - #112

Kavri:

Kavri waits for Henry to finish his spiel. Kind of a jerk aren't we, Henry? We all have our problems, and yours sound mediocre to what I've seen in just a few hours of being in this town. "Well, this was a failure I'd say. Sorry to pester you Henry."

Elvish under his breath
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Trust me we have no intention of getting you involved even if you want to be."

Kavri turns to his companions. "So I guess now we go find Demetrios's mom. If she's around Cordell, maybe she'll be at that festival." This town seems to have more problems than it's worth: a weird cleric, harassed nobility, and sad orphans running around with their mules. We have to move quickly to keep up with it all, and I need to keep up with it all.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

This town seems to have more problems than it's worth: a weird cleric, harassed nobility, and sad orphans running around with their mules. We have to move quickly to keep up with it all, and I need to keep up with it all.
    OOC: This makes me very proud as a DM

24. - Top - End - #114

Salvatori:

Salvatori nods at Henry as he sheathes his dagger. Thank you for not killing me. "I'm sorry about my brother. He tends to be rather abrasive and arrogant, but there's nothing I can do about that." Salvatori then moves his focus onto Kavri. He shrugs at the elf's suggestion. "I guess so. The baron might even make an appearance if it's an important enough fair."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok guys, I'll take it you are moving this to the Summer's-End festival thread, post your arrivals in that thread when you want, also let me know where you are going to be on the map. I will update it now so that it has an anoted grid system.