New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Talon and Claw. (A Diabolical Campaign)

The group takes several minutes to recover from their ordeal with the dragon as they rest in the small space at the foot of the stairs, before the heavy door. The longer you sit in this space the more you notice, like the sound of the crackling energy beyond the door sounds a lot like the lightning from the previous rooms but there is something off about it's sound, almost as if it were more organic, less chaotic perhaps, than those in the previous chambers.

As you sit in the small space, resting, you begin to notice a very pungent smell coming from the other side of the room. The smell is a mix of rotting flesh and old, stale herbs, though they are much less potent in smell than the rotting flesh. Apparently whatever is beyond the door is slowly decaying.
    Corpses: Crack open a cold one today!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Mon Nailgrinder, Hobgoblin Warlord

Smells like a battlefield in there. Mon states as he wipes the smell from his nose.
    So which one of you sriks wants to go in first? My attempt wasn't as successful as I thought. He holds his hand to the talon-sized rips in his armor, with sprayed blood covering the links of his mail. Mon is gritting his teeth a little at the pain still, even after a rest.
    Libras D'lnar avatar by CSK

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default S'theliss, Greenscale Ranger

S'theliss pushes himself up from his seat on the rough stone floor and, still nursing a cut on his torn-up arm, motions with one hooked claw at the Bugbear. "You. Stalker, scavenger. You proceed, and we shall follow."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Gorthunk

"I'll bring up the rear and keep an eye out for our flying friend. Just shout if I'm needed at the front and I'll be there."

Gorthunk takes up the rearguard position, hefting his heavy orcish bastard sword onto his shoulder.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

5. - Top - End - #125

Gli'lix

Letting out a low growl towards S'theliss, Gli'lix begins to move forward, in almost a whisper, Don't be suprised if I forget to mention where I see a trap. And with that he slinks into the shadows and slowly moves onward keeping his eyes and ears peeled as he goes.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The oak door creaks open and the smell of decay washes over the party in a wave of nausea. Beyond the door is a long tunnel, dimly lit by runes on the floor that look like those on the lightning pillars of the previous rooms though these issue forth a roving darkness instead of a thrashing light like the runes before.

The black runes on the floor are not the only things that catch your attention and the cause of the smell becomes rather clear. Manacles line the walls on either side of the hallway and hanging from each set of manacles is the rotting remains of a corpse. The corpses are varied, some being Human while several of the monster races stick out but each is similar in that they are hooked to the wall by their wrists and they are cleaved in two, their legs and hips missing leaving only the arms, torso, and head to hang.

As you looks at the corpses one of the dark runes flares forth, its dark energies slamming into the half-corpse of a Human. Immediately the corpse-flesh begins to quickly heal, the desiccated torso becoming whole and flush though the missing flesh doesn't regenerate.

Immediately blood starts to ooze from the Humans torso, eyes, and mouth as it thrashes against its bonds in pain. The remains open its mouth to scream but you notice that the thing has no tongue so only a low moan escapes, barely loud enough for those in the back to hear. All too quickly the Human begins to wither again as its world becomes nothing but the physical pain of dying and the mental pain of knowing that it is inevitable.

"Yes yes you found it. The great failures yes Lord they found it." comes the groaning voice of the Storm Shaman from above you. You look up and you can see the little creature looking down at you from a small, heavily rusted grate placed in the ceiling. The Storm Shaman grins it's needle toothed grin, acrid black saliva slowly dripping from between its teeth as it leans over, looking at the party. "You this far, maybe not fail like these." he croaks, gesturing to the half-corpses on the wall. It is apparent to you that these corpses are the remains of the failed Claws, at least those that weren't consumed by the Dragon.

The Storm Shaman's smile fades and it hobbles away after its few words, "Far to go still, best keep moving before the Standard knows." it says as it rights itself and begins to move away, apparently having a conversation with itself as it walks away, no doubt to some other spot where it can keep an eye on you.
    Last edited by DiabolicalFurby; 2008-08-25 at 05:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Gli'lix

Shaking his head at the scene before him and the creature above him, Gli'lix presses onward. Crazy little thing isn't he. I wonder what he has instore for us...
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

8. - Top - End - #128

The lizardman draws his sword and pushes past the Bugbear into the hideous room. Swinging the blade in a half-arc, with the pommel pressed against the edge of his hand, he beheads the moaning, half-living human creature.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

S'theliss' blade arcs through the air, striking the tortured shell of the Human as it slowly begins to decompose once again. The blade lands with a sickening, soggy thud followed by a grating sound as the blade strikes the stone wall. The head rolls to the side, still connected by a small piece of flesh but another swift slice from the Lizardfolk and the head rolls free, landing on the floor.

A moment after the head falls on the floor, separated from the torso, the entire thing begins to smell even worse and you can see some twitching below the skin. An instant after that and the whole body dissolved into a wave of bone white maggots that fall to the floor, wiggling over each other to look like a sickening layer of milk white filth that covers the entire floor before S'theliss.

Spoiler
    Show
    There Sharikov, don't ever say I didn't give you anything.
    Last edited by DiabolicalFurby; 2008-08-25 at 06:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130

S'theliss takes a step back in disgust, spitting on the writhing insect mass in front of him. With a sibilant hiss, he gathers what little arcane power he can. His eyes light up, and a static charge rattles across his scales with the sound of thunder, blasting outwards.

Spoiler
    Show

THUNDERWAVE.

Not sure if I need to roll, but hey - (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6]

Also pushes enemies back - I won't be using this if anyone near me if affected by it, but I'm assuming I'm far enough away from the rest of the party to do so with free reign.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

S'theliss calls upon his arcane power and sends a blast of thunderous energy crashing down the hall. The maggots are sent flying, a white sheet of filth that dissolves as it flies through the air. Also struck are five more of the half corpses, who are likewise thrown down the hallway, their arms ripped from their manacles though the hands still remain locked in the rusted iron.

The five bodies tumble as they strike the floor, the movement causing their dried husks to break, sending black, ichorous blood splashing across the walls and floor where it slowly oozes. Once more the bodies start to twitch and their dark blood seems to boil a moment before the remains become naught but a writhing pile of maggots large enough where you are unable to simply step over them.

The maggots now cover one of the dark runes, which seem to be pulsing a sickly purplish black color through them. At this Graese's Arcane knowledge stirs and he is able to discern that these runes give off blasts of Necrotic energy rather than Lightning like the previous runes.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

I see he's taken the liberty of decorating the place. Not exactly my style, but it is unique. Mon recalls the countless times driving nails, bolts, and pitons through the bodies of his failures of minions. He is unmoved by the white maggots and the destroying of more corpses, he's more concerned with something the Shaman has let slip.
    Before the Standard knows? So this Standard is living. I'm also betting it's that dragon; what more of a victory could there be then the slaying a dragon? Mon lets loose a sadistic grin of grudge. Next time I see you, it'll be on the floor as I fillet your body into trophies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mon just got a bit more Evil. Like he needed it.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Gorthunk

Gorthunk blanches momentarily at the disgusting room. He mumbles a brief prayer of protection to the powers-that-be.

"This place gnaws at me. Best we not remain in this spot too long I think."
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

Graese

Stepping into the chamber, Graese alerts his comrades of the runes. "I don't need to tell you this, but avoid the runes, they look evil, necrotic, maybe." He stops near the pile of maggots, wondering what kind of abomination would rise given the right amount of negative energy.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-08-26 at 11:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

As the group moves through the corridor they are witness to more incidences of necrotic energy revitalizing the half corpses that line the wall and each time the results are the same as the corpse comes alive only to die a grisly and no doubt extremely painful death. You can't help but notice how many corpses are shackled to the wall, for it is a very long corridor and at a glance you would assume there to be more the fifty such husks lining the walls and though your nose grows accustomed to the stench after several moments you can't help but wonder if you will share a similar fate.

As you near the end of the hallway She-Who-Walks steps on a loose stone and slips, falling hard on her rear as the floor stone shifts away. Immediately afterward you can hear a great groaning sound as something up ahead begins to shift position, a sound similar to a giant pestle grinding into a mortar. Whatever is moving it is massive and soon after you hear the organic thunder of a necrotic rune lashing out. The runes in the hallway grow dim and flicker for a moment before they are snuffed out entirely, leaving the party in the inky darkness, their only defense their light sources.

Once the necrotic runes in the hallway die the sound of necrotic power lashing out increases several fold, filling your ears with the eerie sound of unliving power. Whatever awaits you in the room beyond, it is best you prepare for it now.

16. - Top - End - #136

Gli'lix

Seeing all this unfold before his eyes Gli'lix shudders a little, Turning toward the group only a few words are able to escape his lips. I'm not going first.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Gorthunk

"The gods demand courage, and they shall not find me wanting. Faith is perhaps the best shield in a place like this. Follow close and be wary."

Gorthunk steps forward, readying himself to face the peril.

Spoiler
    Show

"C'mon, just a little peril?"

"No no, its much to perilous!"
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

After She is suitably re-garbed she warbles to herself happily and preens. The harpy catches Graese's furtive glances. She meets his eyes levelly and holds him in her gaze before squawking a startling rebuke.

She treads warily into the runed room keeping as much distance as she can from the runes, the twitching dead, her compatriots. The maggots don't seem to disturb her somehow. Instead she eyes them hungrily and puts a hand over her belly wondering idly what manner of creature the grubs would become. She pulls her eyes away as the group moves forward down a seemingly endless hall of torment.

She moves forward more lightly than before, but awkwardly, her new armor fits strangely. It binds where it shouldn't and is free where it shouldn't be. She quorks with annoyance and pulls at some straps and... slips!

She hoists herself up and storms to the front of the group, trying to regain a shred of dignity. The eerie light flickers and is gone, their only light the torches. She squawks in alarm and clutches her longspear.

If there is room to stand next to Gorthunk she does, otherwise, she'll squeeze around him, squawking angrily if he doesn't give way, to the edge of the darkness. There she stands, her head weaving back and forth, peering into the darkness. She lowers her spear whips it back and forth in front of her, like a blind woman feeling her way down a corridor. A militant blind woman feeling her way down a putrid corridor filled with unknown nightmare horrors.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doh, sorry to have disappeared there. I should know better than to rely on subscriptions - always check the real threads, Sparky!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The group moves forward, the sound of massive, grinding stone becoming louder and louder as they traverse the long, dark corridor. With the necrotic power leeched from the runes on the floor the corpses remain inanimate and as you walk each of you sees a member of your own race shackled to the wall, serving to remind you of your possible fate. Soon the party reach the end of the hall, where there stands a massive gate.

The gate is made of sturdy wrought iron forged to resemble heavy vines bearing inch long, razor sharp thorns. Nestled in the iron vines are the bleached skulls of creatures as varied as those hanging from the walls behind you, apparently absorbed by the iron gate. Upon the thorns you can see blood stains and the occasional piece of dessicated flesh but nothing too recent. A small lever rests on the wall to the party's left, near Gorthunk and is apparently the opening mechanism to the oddly intriguing gate.

The vines are too thick for you to gain a view of the room beyond, though from the noise you can certainly be sure that whatever is making that noise is on the other side of the gate.

As you examine the gate a sudden noise from above you alerts you to a presence and when you look up you see another rusted grate with the large, piss colored eyes of the Storm Shaman gazing down on you. "The passage of thorns tsk tsk... Claws can tear through thorns or pull lever and let them open, pull lever and let Standard know you come. Yes yes Lord, your Claws must choose roads.." he says, smiling his needle-toothed smile at the party. As you listen to the words of the strange creature you can't help but wonder if all those 'failures' behind you had to bear such a commentary.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nothing like being the first to overcome a challenge. Orc, open the gate and prepare for battle. Mon readies his flail and shield, desperate to succeed in battle after the crushing defeat of the dragon.

21. - Top - End - #141

S'theliss takes up position behind Mon as the warlord motions for the Orc to open the door. He unsheathes both longswords and stands there ready to fight. Looking idly at the back of his skull, from ten or fifteen feet away, he hisses at Nailgrinder, "Think you'll be able to hit it this time, Hobgoblin?"

22. - Top - End - #142

Graese

His hands trembling Graese draws both his orb and sickle, while he slowly takes a few steps back, remembering the chill of the beasts breath.

Spoiler
    Show
    right now, Graese believes the dragon can use his breath every round (as was demonstrated last time we met). He's more than a little bit ****ting himself.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Gorthunk

Gorthunk nods solemnly to the rest of the group.

"We shall come through this trial and shed the shackles of those who came before us."

Gorthunk pulls the leaver, then steps back from the gate a little and readies his bastard sword once more.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144

Gli'lix

Waiting for his meat shields to proceed in the room and through the hallway, Gli'lix waits off the to side. Standing there with his rapier draw in 1 hand and a shuriken in the other, he tries to blend into the shadows around him to keep out of notice.

Hearing the voice of the little creature again above him, he begins to get annoyed. Why couldn't we have just gone into this dungeon at a later point. he thinks to himself. He's no one's plaything. When he get's the chance he's going to cut the heart out of that creatures chest.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

She hisses at the Shaman, her feathers standing up in a short, angry crest. Her eyes move abruptly from feature to feature and she shifts her head quickly from one side to the other. She clenches the spear in her clawed hands and moves forward, tapping the ground ahead with the point of her spear - she would not be embarrassed by a shifting stone again.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Gorthunk reaches out and grabs the rusted lever, enclosing it in his rather large fist and with a mighty effort he is able to pull it down where it locks in position. A loud thunk is heard and suddenly all the runes in the hallway flare brilliantly for a brief instant before fading once more to darkness and an eerie feeling creeps down each of your spines, like something knows where you are and that you are coming. The group turns now to the gate awaiting its opening to allow them access into the room beyond now that they have pulled the lever.

Nothing happens.

After a long moment of the gate not moving you hear the a croaking, wheezing laughter coming, no doubt, from the Storm Shaman who is still standing above you. "Miserable Claws, stupid Claws." the creature says, shaking it's head in mock pity. "Claws tell enemy where they are, what they intend just to pass gate easier. Smart claws walk harder path enemy not expect but you stupid Claws." it says, nodding its head vigorously, dripping its thick black saliva over the party. "Yes yes, you must attack gate anyway even though Standard know you here anyway. Maybe Claws will learn from this Lord, or maybe they die." The Storm Shaman croaks out a low, sickly chuckle before it moves off the grating, leaving the Claws to the business of the gate before them.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

FRUK! We need to smash this gate down NOW! Bugbear, lend me a sword to the cause! Mon whips his flail against the door as he encourages Gli'lix to do the same. The clashes of the flail and the courtblade against the gate reverberate throughout the hall, showing what force they came with.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mon and Gli'lix, Hammer and Anvil (1d10+2=8, 1d10+8=10)
    I assume we don't have to roll to hit a stationary object.
    EDIT: Forum roller is bugging for me, so back to Invisible-Castle.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Eldmor; 2008-08-30 at 04:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Mon calls upon Gli'lix and together they send their weapons careening into the heavy iron gate with a thunderous smash of steel hitting iron the gates shiver mightily. Mon examines the damage to the gate and finds that the combined attack of the Bugbear and himself was not nearly as effective as he thought it would be. However, as Mon no doubt prepares for another attempt to strike the gate he realizes that the gate hasn't stopped shivering from the blow, something it should have done immediately afterward.

Suddenly the iron vines of the gate are sheathed in necrotic power, coursing into the iron gate from some unknown source. A great creaking scream fills the air, causing the party to take a step back and cover their ears lest they go deaf from the noise. Slowly the vines begin to unfurl themselves and you discover that the skulls you saw in the gate make up the end of each vine, their once empty eye-sockets now crackle with necrotic power, their skeletal jaws open as if silently screaming.

Eight great iron vines now writhe in the air before you, their lengths sheathed in necrotic power and covered in inch thick razor-sharp thorns, their tips decorated with skulls who snap at the Claws as if wanting nothing more than to taste their flesh. Even as you face all this you can't help shake the feeling that something is looking at you through those once hallowed eye sockets, and that something wants you dead.

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    18 Gli'lix
    17 Graese
    13 S'theliss
    12 Gate
    11 Mon Nailgrinder
    10 Gorthunk Facesmasher
    05 She-Who-Walks

Battle Grid
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:

__|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|
    01| | | | | | | | |O|g|
    02| | | | | | | |L|H|g|
    03| | | | | | | |T|G|g|
    04| | | | | | | | |B|g|

B= Gli'lix.
    H= She Who Walks
    T= Graese
    L= S'theliss
    G= Mon Nailgrinder
    O= Gorthunk Facesmasher

g= gate
    Last edited by DiabolicalFurby; 2008-08-30 at 08:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Gli'lix

Seeing the gate come alive takes Gli'lix by suprise.

Looking upward he glares at the small creature that has been watchinig them, silently cursing him and vowing to take his life. Gli'lix yells out at him Damn you slimy bastard, Why would you send us up against something with out giving us any details. If we fail you are only ensuring your death.

Turning his attention towards the gate, now alive with necrotic powers, Gli'lix strikes out at it. Taking a step back as soon as he does that as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor Action-Predator's Eye, +1d6 damage
    Standard Action-Torturous Strike
    Attack: (1d20+9)[19] vs. AC
    Hit: (2d10+8)[19] + (3d6)[9] damage.
    Move Action-Shift to open space behind me
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-08-30 at 11:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

30. - Top - End - #150

Spoiler
    Show

Stupnick, if Gli'ix uses his Move action to step back I can come in and hit the gate after you. It's up to you though.

EDIT: In fact you should probably stay up close for CA.
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2008-08-30 at 10:42 PM.