New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age of worms

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Age of worms

Diamond Lake, a filthy little mining town where corruption rules and the innocent are kept under heel. A line of wealth and poverity cuts across the people dividing them into slaves and overlords. Following the poorly cobbled streets on a chilly spring evening you come to a tavern bursting with roudy miners. In the large room a tightly packed group of men lean over a pen yelling at a pair of dogs engaged in mortal combat. Outside hang the words Ferral Dog crudely painted on a rotted wooden plank.The morning shift of the miners fill the room with obsenities and other vulgarity and the threat of sudden violence seems to skulk in the shadows ready to pounce. One poorly constructed wobbly table stands idle. Four chairs on gaurd awaiting for someone to fill them.

Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-07-22 at 05:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Aust-Eton casually strolls in to the decidedly inauspicious establishment, careful to avoid the stickiest parts of the floor. He is closely followed by his bodyguard and personal knight, Hector-Roff. Being against violence personally but also not wishing to upset the established “order” of the place, the half-elf studiously ignores the obvious dog-fighting ring in the middle. With not a coin to his name (not since that debacle of a deal a few towns back), it’s really just nice to have a dry place to sit and relax. As he sits at the lone empty table, any observer could plainly see that this is someone who is used to taking shelter in places of slightly more … elegance. And it’s not just the way in which he sits down in the cleanest chair, carefully, so that his chair will not squeak or scrape, or how he delicately smoothes out the wrinkles in his clothes. It’s his clothes themselves that really say it, which, while seemingly simple and decidedly dirty from the road, on closer inspection reveal intricacies in the weave that loudly declare (metaphorically speaking) that the owner can have, nay, deserves the better things in life. And while he may not look very strong, one could tell if and when they gave him a second glance that this is a formidable person, at least as far as being charming, gracious, and friendly can be called “formidable”. The crossbow at his side looks a little out of place on him, but it has definitely seen some use. And besides, when muscle is required, Hector-Roff is better at that stuff anyways.

Hector-Roff is, like his master, quite noticeable. But for him, it’s mostly because he has the head of a dog and the look (and weapons) of a trained warrior. The Lupin follows closely behind Aust-Eton, always watching for any sudden moves toward his lord. When Aust-Eton sits, he stands at only slightly relaxed attention behind him, ready to protect his master from any attack. With his obviously well-cared-for armor and the long sword at his side (which his hand never strays very far from), he is the very picture of a knight in shining armor. Except that his head matches more closely to a monster that a knight might be fighting and his scale mail shows him to be a knight of the poorer sort. But, after all, the only important feature of a knight is who his lord is, and Hector-Roff takes great pride in protecting his. Even if the stripling is a bit weak, he is quite good at healing wounds, an ability that has saved Hector-Roff a number of times, a bit to his chagrin. He glances casually over at the fighting ring, and then resumes his visual watch, with only a slight sneer of disgust on his face. Hunting dogs should be trained to nip at the heels of pray, not their fellows. But, after all, civilization does have its oddities. Just examine his master. Why, he actually takes the time to wash himself once or twice a week, or more! Isn’t that what rain is for? Or what about his daily prayers to that god of his, Pelor? The deities need only a short thanks for their protection, not a whole hour! With a slight sigh, he consciously stops his idle introspection and concentrates on watching for threats. Someday, his lord will be known far and wide as a great man, and when that day comes, Hector-Roff will be known even back in his small village as a great knight. All he has to do here and now is protect Master Aust-Eton, so that such a day will come.

Aust-Eton and Hector-Roff
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-07-26 at 02:23 AM.
    "Spoon!!!"
    -The Tick

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Age of worms

Tardus

Tardus moves through the tavern doors and enters the bar like he has many times before. This straight standing man with piercing blue eyes is one of the few members of the church of St. Cuthbert who has no problem with the dog fights and rowdy miners. Some of the miners who noticed him raise a glass in welcome. One even stands up and greets him with a brief hand shake. Tardus quickly refuses the man's offer of a drink and walks towards his usual sitting place, only to find it occupied by a man he has never seen before and behind him is a creature Tardus has also never seen. He determinedly walks up to the table where this new person is seated and takes a seat across from him. Sitting back with his legs crossed at the knee and a large grin on his face he says,

"Welcome to our humble town friends, what would you like to drink?"
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-07-22 at 10:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Hector-Roff pulls himself a little straighter, but otherwise lets the man approach, as he seems to have friendly intentions.

I’m afraid I must keep my body pure as part of my vows, but a little food would be appreciated. What about you, Hector-Roff?

No thank you, math’ter. While protecting you, I mu’th remain vigilant.

Turning back to the friendly man, Aust-Eton smiles and continues, Well then, nothing but a little food for two hungry travelers then, if you don’t mind paying. We seem to have spent our last coin just the other day. But where are my manners! Allow me to introduce myself: Aust-Eton, wandering healer. Call me Eton; all my friends do. And this is my bodyguard, Hector-Roff.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

"Well greetings, let me get you a meal,"

Tardus beacons the barmaiden over and asks for some food.He still has his happy grin on as he continues to make conversation.

"My name is Tardus, I am follower in the small church of Saint Cuthbert. I hope you find your visit here quite pleasant, may I ask what brings you here?"
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-07-22 at 11:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

An old battleaxe of a woman navagates her way arround the crowd. Her heavy makeup doing little to fill the cracks in her face. a large pitcher of ale in her left hand seeingly emptys of its own accord as she walks past various miners. Noticing tardus beckoning her she glides her way across the room, gracefully slipping past roudy patrons and arrives at your table.

"Well back agn' mr. priest and oh yous got cha ya friends? da names Hilda" she says leaning over the table placeing her right hand on the table to help balance her bulk while she brings her face next to Eton's. "And I'd be very happy to get cha anything ya wan." She winks as her rotten breath compete with her cheap perfume to see wich is more repulsive an odor.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-07-22 at 11:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

"Just a nice hot meal for my friends hilda, I'm fine myself for the moment."

He charms Hilda with his bright smile and gives her a swift pinch on the rump as she walks away.

"Lovely lady Hilda, she really does try. SO, where are you from again?"
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-07-23 at 12:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Hector-Roff growls quietly at the receding woman. Such familiarity is trying.

Well as I was about to say, I am a wanderer, going here and there to help and heal what I can. I'm not very good yet, ...

Hector-Roff harrumphs. Many times he has told the stripling to not show weakness, but the boy never listens. Besides, he does quite well in Hector-Roff's opinion.

... but, I'm getting better. Hector-Roff has told me many times that he will fight to win me glory, but I would much rather just find sick and injured people to heal. Speaking of which, I would assume you know this town quite well, judging by the reception the locals gave you. So, are there any problems here that Pelor's blessings can help with?
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

"A healer you say? Well,Not many major problems, there has been an issue with some people randomly disappearing, most recently a young girl in an abandoned tomb. But"

Tardus says, after sizing up the large wolfman,

"probably nothing to your caliber. Missing girls is something for worried mothers to worry about. Probably just ran off with some sort of love interest. Have you visited the local church of Pelor yet? it is a quaint establishment."
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-07-23 at 12:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Not yet, but then I've only just arrived. After I have tasted Miz Hilda's cooking, I shall visit it forthwith. I must thank you, by the way, for being so gracious as to feed me. Please accept some healing from me the next time you need it. A battleready man, which I would assume that you are, can always use a little extra, even if he is a cleric.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Nox slips silently into the rowdy bar; which not a terribly difficult thing to do for a man of his size. He had traveled with a caravan, which had donated to his worthy cause over the last few days, and was now looking for a new mark and a good time. His dark grey cloak is patchy and looks like it would easily disappear into the night. He slips past the dogfighting arena, slicing a coin purse along the way. He scans the bar for an empty stool and, failing to find one, rests his eyes on a man who looks to be very out of place here... out of place in a good for my coin purse sort of way.

An empty chair is his invitation and he quickly sweeps up to the table, pushing back his cloak. Now people can see the halfling's striking features. His black hair is cut short and his jaw is well defined. His eyes seem to penetrate the room itself, although his smile gives away nothing as he strolls up, carefully timing his entrance so as not to interrupt the gentleman speaking but immediately hijacking the conversation.

"Greetings Gents! James Watson is the name, and ale is the game," he says, as he climbs onto the empty chair. Setting his backpack down as a booster seat, he continues, "So, what's a good man like you doing in a crummy place like this?"

He empties the coin purse into his hands and quickly counts his take before summoning the bar wench and waiting for a reply, smile on his face.
    Last edited by Raynor; 2008-07-23 at 12:41 AM. Reason: typos
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Simply resting my weary feet and being thankful for the charity of others, good sir. By the way, my name is Aust-Eton, and this is my bodyguard Hector-Roff. You may call me Eton, but ... sensing a playful spirit in the halfling, ... please do not call my bodyguard Hector or Roff; he is quite proud of his compound name.

Hector-Roff smiles toothily; he had to remind the boy many times of his heritage when they had first met each other. It would be nice if the boy gained some pride as well.

Aust-Eton waits patiently for his other new friend the cleric to introduce himself.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hilda comes back from the other room, a platter of steaming food partially blocking her features. She slaps away coal stained hands as she reaches your table. Upon closer inspection you notice the food seems to be of very poor quality. Two half raw ferrits stare up at you as the barmaid drops a plate in front of the half elf and then one for the lupin. along with the ferrits is a palms portion of mushed up greens that seem to be many weeks past the point when anyone would relistically consider eating them.

What do we 'ave 'ere she says leaning over to inspect the halfling. You's is one of em lil wee buggers aint ya? She playfully tossles Nox's hair then retreats to the other side of the bar. There you see her talking to a group of older miners when she gives a point in your direction and they all begin laughing hysterically.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Aust-Eton politely nibbles at the most edible portions, trying to strike a balance between the deep hunger in his belly and the ... fare before him.

Hector-Roff begins eating everything, although still keeping an eye out for threats to his master. Noticing that he is being picky, Hector-Roff motions for Aust-Eton to eat everything. One never knows when their next meal will come.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-07-23 at 12:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

"I apologize friend for our lack of ethnic diversity. Not very many small-folk are seen around a mining town, I'm sure she will be back shortly with some ale for you."

Says Tardus, still smiling.

"By the way, you may call me Tardus. I am a member of the church here. And what finds you into our town?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Nox looks at the plates before Eton and Ruff as he fixes his hair.

"I can't say I'd poke that with a stick..."

He reaches into his pack and pulls out some trail rations, motioning for Hilda to return.

"Ma'am, I'd like a pint of your best... and if it's good enough I might just give these patrons a song... I happen to be an extremely accomplished singer, although I can't expect my fame to have traveled this far just yet."

Nox finally turns his attention to Tardus.

"She'll change her tone when her patrons are begging for me to return and sing them another tale of daring and adventure. As I said, I am touring the countryside spreading joy and warmth through the only gift I was given, my singing voice.""
    Last edited by Raynor; 2008-07-23 at 01:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hilda returns shortly with a grimy mug placing it upon the table.
    Sorry 'bout that love. Is jus tha the las halfling's in ere waz a funny son of vecna an me an da boys were membrin im wid a bit of laguhn' Her hands move almost of their own accord as she fills your cup. If'n its an audiance yer after ya gonna have'n ta wait for the match to be over. She motions to the pen behined her back with her thumb.

As your talking the cheers from the gamblers raise to a fever pitch. Shouts of praise to assorted deities are nearly drown out by high pitched obsenities. The winning dog lead victoriously out of the pen by it's albino half orc master as a man in a cheifs hat comes out of the back room and takes the looser back to the kitchen.

Looks like yer in luck darlin. Jus jump in tha ring and start hollerin if ya want.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-07-23 at 01:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

"We'll let the room calm down first a bit. Besides, I just got me ale and I already promised the ale I would drink it."

He gives Hilda a wink and takes a sip,

"So how is being halfdog treating you Ruff?"

He stares innocently at Roff, waiting for a reply.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Hector-Roff puts his hand on his sword but says nothing.

Actually, he's a Lupin. Some say they are part werewolf, others say half-gnoll. They tend to attack both, to prove that they part-neither. And if you call him that, he won't respond. Trust me; I was stuck in a well for hours once because he wouldn't do anything unless I called him by his full name.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

"You seem to be an odd pair, if you don't mind me saying. Is he your body guard or something, you seem to be acting like some sort of nobility."

Tardus has dealt with many nobles and has become good at spotting their unique demeanor.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Didn't I say he was my bodyguard? Perhaps it slipped my mind when I was introducing him and I. As for nobility, I suppose you could say I am half-nobility, in a way that is inextricably entwined with me being a half-elf. And I think I will leave it at that.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

"Hm... well Hecktarov, it's a pleasure. Never met a furry before. And Tard,"

Nox coughs, withholding a snicker,

"Tardus, it is a pleasure as well. What is it that you do around here?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Hector-Roff grudgingly takes his hand off his long sword, but it still wavers close by, as before.

24. - Top - End - #24

Tardus smiles to himself as he prepares his answer.

"I do a little bit of everything. I guess you could say I try to just be a helpful member of society. I am a member of the local church of St. Cuthbert, and like to help those who need it. If there is anything you may need on your stay, consider me at your service."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

As your'e all talking as the albino half-orc steps back through the front door. He stands well over six feet tall and seems to be in an extremely bad mood even though he won a large purse only moments ago. Cracking his knuckles he scans the room his eyes finally resting upon Hector-Roff and his wicked teeth curl up into a cruel smile. He marches up to the table puts one heavily booted foot upon its side and sends its contents flying as he sends the table flying. "This is a dogfighting bar!" He shouts in the knight's face. ""So either get into the ring and fight some dogs or get back to your kennel!"

The general uproar of the Ferral Dog immidately goes silent as the only sounds that can be heard is those of tables being pulled away and cruel snikkering.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-07-25 at 11:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Hector-Roff calmly puts down the plate he was eating from, checks Master Aust-Eton for injuries, and then stands back at attention.

A comparison to a dog, although perhaps meant to be insulting, does not faze the knight. Dogs are loyal companions to their masters, as is Hector-Roff. And a well-trained dog will not bark back at a mongrel, frightened of its territory being invaded. A well-trained dog knows that its position is secure, and that the mad barking of a cur means nothing. If that whelp were to threaten his master, on the other hand … Be that as it may, Master Aust-Eton is usually quite good at dealing with louts such as this.

All this flashes through Hector-Roff’s mind as he resumes his position at the ready. If he stands a little straighter and a little taller now, it is only because, now that the attention is on him, he must look his best so as not to shame his lord.

Now, now, there’s no need for any fighting, says Aust-Eton, trying to be as diplomatic as possible. Miss Hilda, a drink please for my friend here. Resuming his focus on the rude half-orc, Good sir, the man behind me may have the head of a dog, but I assure you that he is different from one in every other way. He is a fine conversationalist, a great friend and generally a good being all around. I’m sure the two of you have much in common, if you’d give him a chance. Now please, enjoy your drink and let’s all get back to enjoying this wonderful day, finishes Aust-Eton with a smile.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The atmosphere is tense as Kullen snorts deep breaths of fury. He inhails deeply for a bout of yelling when old Hilda interupts.

"Fine sort you are ya drunk"She says to the now reddening half-orc. "Oh ya can beat up local travelers but can't spare a few moments of yer precious time to save a lost little girl from god knows where. Real manly of you."

"YOU WOULD DO BEST TO MIND YOUR OWN BUISNESS WENCH!" Kullen screams and raises a fist.

Now you watch yer tounge or I'll report you ta Mr.Smenk."

A dash of fear flashes in his eyes as he lowers his fist and storms out of the bar grumbleing profanity as he slams the door.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-07-25 at 11:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Aust-Eton looks intrigued for a second at the reaction of the half-orc towards the name “Mr Smenk”, and then addresses his table. Well, that was quite an interruption. Perhaps this town could use a little help after all.

Situation averted, as usual, thinks Hector-Roff. It might be nice once and a while to fight for the honor and glory of his lord, but Master Aust-Eton prefers the non-violent approach, so that is what Hector-Roff will do, for as long as it works anyways.

Now with a slightly louder voice, Miss Hilda, I guess I won’t need that drink after all. Thank you though, for stepping in on a potentially violent confrontation. If you are ever in need of healing, I would be glad to oblige.

Now addressing the table, and especially Tardus, Well, please, tell me who that fellow was, and this Mr. Smenk. I would assume Sheriff and Mayor, respectively?
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Tardus laughs at Aust-Eton.

"Quite perceptive aren't we? That's somewhat right. Kullen likes to think of himself as some sort of authority, honestly he's just a gang leader who's not really not all that tough unless he has about twenty other guys backing him up. As for Smenk... well, he owns most of the mining business in this town. But I don't think fear of getting fired is what really makes Kullen piss his pants at that name. Let's just say that Smenk isn't renowned for his mercy."

Tardus decides that if these new travelers want to meddle in his town's affairs, that's fine by him. Let them try to upset the balance of things. A change in pace could benefit everyone. Especially Tardus.
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-07-26 at 12:04 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

"With a sheriff like that who needs crooks."

James takes a sip before continuing.

"An' whats this about a lost little girl? I would think something should be one about that... I mean ya can't just leave the lil' buggers all by them lonesomes."
    Last edited by Raynor; 2008-07-26 at 12:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka