New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Age of worms

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Quite true, it seems I am done ... eating, Aust-Eton says, sparing a thankful glance at his plate strewn across the floor. So, I shall be off to look into the matter. A servant of Pelor must also bring light to the darkness, in addition to healing to the injured. Standing up, Come, Hector-Roff, we shall stop by the temple of Pelor that sir Tardus mentioned for information and possibly supplies, and then we shall investigate.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Age of worms

"She got lost over by some of the old ruins, no one really know what happened exactly, Hilda could probably tell you more."

Tardus beacons Hilda over to ask about the missing girl.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Well.." Hilda starts playing with her dirty curls. It done happened a dogs week ago whe some youngens that been playen round them old caves by the norshgap mines bout a days ride from town. Anyhows theys been usen it as a meeten place like youngsters do when some lil brat dared poor missie perkins ta touch the end of the tunnel an come back with somen ta prove it. Next things ya'll know shes missen and no'ones been brave enough ta go after her. Course this isn't the first time sommens dissapeared in this town I tell ya what but she bein so young an innocent has some people actually caren about her."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

"Now hold on just a minute. A little girl went into a cave a WEEK AGO... and the ENTIRE TOWN was too scared to go into said cave? Either you are all completely insane or that cave is no ordinary cave... why is everyone so scared of said cave?"
    Last edited by Raynor; 2008-07-26 at 12:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I said a dogs week ago that means one day." She replys hotly.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Well, notwithstanding, it is my goal, nay, my duty, to find and rescue this poor innocent soul. We shall leave at once; first to ask permission from Mr. Smenk, then to the church of Pelor to get any supplies they are willing to give, and finally, straight towards the heart of darkness!

Inwardly, Hector-Roff sighs. Where this hero-streak came from, he will never know.

Inwardly and outwardly, Aust-Eton beams. Now Hector-Roff will be proud of him! He may not be as strong as Hector-Roff, but Hector-Roff will definitely appreciate his gallantry. After all, it's just like all those stories that Hector-Roff admires so much, and sometimes tells him, of dashing heroes and shining knights.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

"The supplies are good and all, but I'm not sure why you want to talk to Smemk, I doubt he even knows a girl's gone missing, let alone care. You guys just go pick-up whatever you need, then meet me back here in the tavern, I'll go ahead and show you to the cave and help find the kid. By the way, there isn't a church of Pelor in town, but we do have other religious establishments you can stop by. Until then..."

Tardus gets up to watch the next dog fight and stands by a half-orc and instantly begins a hushed conversation. It appears like the orc had been waiting to speak to him.
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-07-26 at 01:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

"Hogswash woman! Anycase... I suppose I should come along. It's good for PR to save little helpless things. I suppose we'll follow the shiny one then?" James looks at Eton.
    Last edited by Raynor; 2008-07-26 at 01:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Silently mumbling to himself, Oh ... there is no church of Pelor within this town? But what about his church ... Looks up, but Tardus has already left. Louder now, Well then, the clerics of retribution might also give some aid. As well as this Mr. Smenk, who I'm sure would be...

Th'ir, I do not believe this 'Th'menk' character ith the 'helping' type.

Oh, really? Aust-Eton looks utterly defeated for a moment, but then, Well, no matter! At the very least, a few supplies from the church of St. Cuthbert and we will be ready to go. Aust-Eton heads for the door.

Hector-Roff follows closely behind his master, with a silent sigh. Of course, he will be the one to carry all these supplies.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Right next to the Feral Dog stands the church of St.Cuthbert. A glittering tower of wealth and power, a great temple srpouting from the filth of diamond lake. A mass of dirty miners holding candles lines outside the church waiting their turn to be blessed by the divine powers of their deity.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Well, this looks like it could be trouble. Maybe we shouldn’t ask them for supplies after all. They do seem rather busy…

Math’ter, I can make a way if that ith what you wi’th. Hector-Roff prepares to intimidate a path through the miners. Not many people would stand in the way of a growling, well-armored man-beast.

No, Hector-Roff, Aust-Eton says, putting a hand on his bodyguard’s arm. Someone could get hurt. Let me try my way. If that doesn’t work, we will simply go to the caves as we are. Besides, we still do not know if there is any real threat yet. Now, let me stand on your shoulders, to better address the crowd

Hector-Roff sighs, takes his hand off his sword, and helps the boy on to his shoulders. Really, he is glad that he won’t have to intimidate the crowd, it wouldn’t have been a very knightly thing to do; but, his master did want to get inside, and for that, a small stain upon his honor would be worth it.

Raising his voice and putting as much diplomatic charm into it as possible, Hello good people, I am Aust-Eton, servant of Pelor. I have recently learned that some of the people of your town have been taken, most recently a little girl. I wish to find and rescue her, and as many of your other townsfolk as I can. To do this, I require supplies from the clerics at this church, whatever they can give to aid me in my quest. Please let me and my bodyguard through, so that we may bring the light of Pelor to the mysterious cave where those stolen from you are rumored to have been taken.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The mob of the faithful seem to be moved by your eloquent speech. Many of them start to move aside when a great barrel of a man shouts up to you. "Oh so we're all sposed to move aside for you because you say you're looking for some girl. Looks to me like a bunch of freeloaders trying to con our church into giving our tithes to feed their bellies. And what the hell is that thing? He points to the wolf-knight. Hangin around with hell spawn like that next to the church, you're lucky we don't tie you to a pole and see how long it takes you to burn."

The crowd seems to turn on you at this point. Whispers of gathering rope and pitchforks can be heard. You are forced to retreat as a few of the more hostile miners chase you screaming and waving their arms in anger.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

James quickly jumps onto a nearby cart so that he may be seen over the masses.

"PEOPLE OF DIAMOND LAKE! Pelor knows it has been long enough since a good witch hunt was had, but this man and his dog are not of concern."

James switches into his epic speech,

"We've been dispatched by the Altgrayt Adventurer's Guild to travel the lands, to help the weak, the poor, the disadvantaged.

No longer will the commonfolk of this nation be trodden on by those around them. No more will they be forced to live with bandits, trolls, and other manner of ill-folk. No further, because starting today, those problems fall under our jurisdiction.

No, we are not above the law. We are citizens, just like you, who have set down the plow and taken up the sword."

James takes his short sword out and hoists it high, the blade gleaming in the midday sun.

"I, James Watson, am the leader of this esteemed team, and these two gentlemen are the two others of my band of heroes. Aust-Eton, humble follower of Pelor and healer of the sick, the wounded and the elderly. And this, the so called Hellspawn... that word cannot be further from the truth."

He takes Hector-Roff around the shoulders and gently squeezes.

"The man among men may, at first glance, be a terrible, ugly, beast... but I assure you that I would gladly leave my three children under his protection, as a better defender could not be found. His compassion, another of his numerous qualities, is beyond mortal words to describe. It would take the celestial tongue to properly detail the depths of his generosity, his honesty, his absolute adherence to the common good and justice.

Hector-Roff... you will come to know this name as one of a band of adventurers to set out on a journey to rid the land of evil, to free the oppressed and to bring joy and happiness to all.

You are all just as blessed as we, for you will experience this journeys beginning today, as we travel into the unforgiving depths of the mountain and return with the missing little girl. You will have the immense pleasure of being able to say, 'This town, diamond lake, is the birthplace of the greatest adventuring party of this century, perhaps ever.'"

James beams from on top of the cart, and takes a deep breath before continuing.

"Is there anyone in this city who wishes to join us on this quest? The going will be tough, the depths will be dark and yes, blood may be spilled, but the cause is noble, the reason just. You may even have just what it takes to become the fourth member of our party.

Who will answer this call?"

James eyes fall squarely on Tardus.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A fat wrinkly man lifts his walking stick in the air and shouts, KILL THE OUTSIDERS!

The angry mobs killing tools materialize from under long cloaks and out of baggy pants as they move to surround the party.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-07-27 at 10:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Tardus hears the speech outside and the crowd's reaction. With a sigh, he grudgingly walks out of the tavern and onto the streets. Looking to one side, he sees the three new people in town apparently ready to take on the entire town. On the other side he sees the tired miners who are bored to tears with their religious rituals and are ready to snap at any sort of excitement.

"All right everyone, let's stop this nonsense." Tardus glares at some of the members in the mob specifically. "These people are guests in this town. Now I better not see anyone desecrating MY church with needless violence or I will have to get me and my friends involved to break it up. Now get back to what you were doing. These people are under my care."

Tardus turns his back on the mob and walks towards the ragtag adventurers.

"Alright guys lets get going. I should have enough food for us during the trip. Just let these guys be."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

With the newly assembled party sets out. Lead by Tardus they quickly make their way out of town and good time along an abandoned dirt road. The sun sinks low under the horizon as the night air begins to nip at the adventurers. As the thick blanket of darkness settles, hundreds of tiny lights can be seen marching into the mines in the distance.

After a full hours march an abandoned mining office lit by a campfire can be seen. A dark figure warming its hands on the fire.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

James looks to Tardus, "Who's the stiff?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

18. - Top - End - #48

"I don't know," Tardus says, "But there's only one way to find out."

Tardus leads everyone to the man in front of the campfire, hoping to find some lodging for the night.
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-07-29 at 10:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

As you approach it becomes clear that it is a man who is sitting with his back to you. Hearing your footsteps he whips arround his hands crackling with magic and a ugly snarl upon his face. "Who are you? He demands.

The man stands a bit over six feet tall. A black vest loosly draped over his mussles. The shadows of the campfire elongate his features giving you all the impression that this man is dangerous.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-07-29 at 11:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

"Whoooa, slow down there friend. We mean no harm. I am Tardus, a member of the church of St. Cuthbert. And these are just some of my friends. Would you mind if we joined you by your fire for a spell?"

Tardus gives the man a look the exudes nothing but friendliness, and also continues to smile contagiously

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am Malg student of the nine hells and weilder of eldrich magic. If you accept these things you may share my fire. However if you find myself unacceptible then prepare to feel eternial pain." crimson lines of magic sparks dangerouslyfrom his outstreched hands.
    Last edited by Aquateenflayer; 2008-07-29 at 11:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

"Well, I'm sure that despite our differences, we can enjoy one fire. Perhaps in another time we would be enemies, but for right now, let us have no needless violence."

With a beaming smile, Tardus hops down next to the fire and begins to warm his swollen feet.

"So, Malg was it? I am eager to hear your story, what finds you here tonight?"
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-07-29 at 11:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Several weeks ago I was cast out of my family for practicing forbidden magics. I traded my rite of cast to accumulate arcane power. But I know it was the right decision. Soon I will be able to crush under heel all who scorned me and my ways. Yes they shall suffer greatly! I SHALL DRINK THEIR PAIN LIKE A FINE WINE AND BREAK THEIR BODIES LIKE BREAD! MUA HA HA HA HA! At this point Malg is on his feet fists clenched and arms raised casting sinister shadows.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

James takes off his gloves and warms his hands.

"That's mighty interesting Malg. What brought you to come here?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I heard that long ago this place was full of tombs and crypst of civilizations that streach back to the begining of tome. Divine and arcane power just hidden under the surface just waiting to be unearthed. I didn't hear that the last of such tombs was raided over fifty years ago. As this place is picked clean I shall look elsewhere for items of power. That is why I will leave in the morning to the free city of Greyhawk to seek new roumors. "

Malg sits down and stares into the fire lost in thought.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

"Ah... sounds exciting. We're here because this backwater town is too scared of the caves to find a little idiot girl who ran off and got herself lost."
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ian

Aust-Eton flops down upon the ground, quite tired; Hector-Roff made him slow-jog most of the way, for Endurance Training! Finally catching his breath, he teeters into the conversation: Well … speaking of which, Sir Malg, perhaps you wouldn’t mind accompanying us into the caves? Your knowledge about them would be quite useful, and you never know, there may be something yet to uncover down there. Aust-Eton frowns slightly at the though of grave-robbing, but quickly quells his expression and resumes his light-hearted conversation. You said yourself that you had nowhere in particular to be, so why not come with us for the time, to help find the girl? In the back of Aust-Eton’s weary consciousness, he idly contemplates the self-description that Malg has given. Student of the Nine Hells? Is he a researcher? For some reason it sounds familiar, but he is too tired to go much further into the thought process.

Hector-Roff, standing at attention behind his lord, prepares to jump into the path of any bolts of fire or whatnot. Mages are usually trouble, always using you as a shield and then trying to kill you when they don’t need you around anymore. The crazy ones are the worst, and this one smells especially dangerous. Really, a good tribal shaman is all one needs for knowledge into the mystical.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-08-11 at 03:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Tardus enjoys the rest of the evening with his unconventional new friends, after the fire ides, Tardus goes to sleep. He is the first up in the morning to take last watch, and then wakes the rest of the group to continue the journey.
    Last edited by Galteland; 2008-08-01 at 02:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The night passes uneventfully as you rest underneath the stars. THe next day you all set out east following Tardus. Malg having nothing better to do following close by.
    After about ten minutes you arrive at the destination. A great cave twenty feet high, the enterence partialy obscured by brush. As impressive as it is you all would have been much more impressed if you haden't crossed a dozen just like it on the walk here from town. You manage to get past the bushes blocking the enterance with minimal difficulty and enter the last known location of Missie Perkins.
    Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into darkness. A faint breese brings with it sibilant whispers the sound almost like sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelink.
    The walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric paterns at waist level. In palces the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as thougb they have been hacked with weapons or erroded by the riggors of time. Flakes of anicent paint, brilliant purpple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the wall in places, hinting at what must have been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust coats the floor.
    Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant dammage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful anicent masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A clump of soiled cloth the size of a halfling rests in the rounded terminus of the western alcove.
    Outside the wind picks up, and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

"Well look at this. Must be some kind of ancient temple..."

James walks around, examining the western walls and alcove.

"I thought this was gonna be a natural cave... anyone know what all this stuff is?" he says, as he sweeps his arm around the room.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Nox
    Kap'chka