New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Guild Wars Conversion

I have been kicking around ideas about a D&D campaign setting inspired by Guild Wars. Getting the character classes and abilities are not the big priority to me right now. I am pretty happy with the Pathfinder treatment of classes. I figure I can simulate the "feel" of classes between that and other 3E books. What I wanted to start with was races. Off the top of my head I can think of...

• Human (duh)
    • Norn
    • Charr
    • Dwarf
    • Asuran
    • Centaur
    • Tengu
    • Grawl (maybe)
    • Skale (maybe)

My immediate thoughts on things are....

Humans and Dwarves...pretty easy...work is done. OTOH I may say that the humans from different areas have different changes somewhat like how humans in Legend of Five Rings RPG are different from each other...anyone have thoughts on that?

Norn...I thought of Half-Giants from Expanded Psionics but with cold resistance instead of heat resistance. I am not sure how them transforming to bears would work. Seems that they keep their opposable thumb in most cases...some they don't. Perhaps have it phased in like Raptorans flight ability from Races of Destiy. Start off as an ordinary bear...later they become a anthromorphic (sic) bear of some kind.

Charr...bugbears with hobgoblin attitudes with the serial numbers filed off? I don't know. They look like they have natural weapons and extra hit dice.

Asurans...small, artificers and mages with a superiority complex. Kind of like mesh of elves and gnomes with attitudes.

Tengu and Centaurs...MM I think handles this well with Centaurs and Kenku. Perhaps check out Dragonlance and see how they did centuars...seem to remember they had various flavors of them.

Grawl and Skale...not sure. They are baddies...like orcs and goblins but I don't know enough to really make judgement on them.

I am sure I am missing some other monsters that could be used as a player character race. Please read this and if you have anything post it. I'd love to see if anyone else has this idea.
    “Fortune favors the brave.” - Virgil from the Aeneid

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Guild Wars Conversion

Skale at least should be based around kobolds. Give them the amphibious subtype (breathe air and water with equal facility -2 to dexerity and give them a 1d4 ranged touch attack as a natural weapon.

I don't remember grawl very well, but they are of a goblinoid persuasion, perhaps change favoured class to ranger.

As for humans: Ascalonian humans gain the bonus skill points and feat that reflect the fact that the populous survived

Leave out the desert for now.

Krytan Humans have paladin or cleric as favoured class, and only get +1 skill points and no bonus feats, but instead, get to multiclass freely between paladin and another class as though they had the Knight Training feat from Eberron(to reflect the skills)

Norns: don't start with half giants, they're closer to really tall humans with a few strains of dwarf. Try mixing the two and making them large. The bear form is always anthropomorphic, as seen by the norns you have to fight occasionally. Use wild shape but only with the bear. Adult (meaning norns that have gotten the totems) can cast certain spell-like abilities once per day to reflect the various wolf/raven totem applications. (Actually, wolf shape for the wolf totem would work I think.)

Char: Try using a rakasha (spelling is wrong, I know) without the specials +1 to strength, dexterity and wisdom. Favoured class is ranger.
    Last edited by Aergoth; 2008-12-11 at 04:51 PM.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I made these long ago, as inspired by GW.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    I made these long ago, as inspired by GW.
    THIS IS GREAT...I was just thinking "when I get the the weapons...how should I do the caster wands and staves?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    Skale at least should be based around kobolds. Give them the amphibious subtype (breathe air and water with equal facility -2 to dexerity and give them a 1d4 ranged touch attack as a natural weapon.
    Sound interesting. Let me toss a kobold into the cauldron and see what it cooks down to. I figure they have a penalty to INT and DEX...but bonus to CON and maybe STR.

I don't remember grawl very well, but they are of a goblinoid persuasion, perhaps change favoured class to ranger.
    Ever see Thundercats? Remember the villian "Monkian"? They so remind me of him. I figured since they run around so much when you are fighting them...even when you are NOT casting AoE spells to nuke a bunch of them...give them Scout as a favored class.

As for humans: Ascalonian humans gain the bonus skill points and feat that reflect the fact that the populous survived. Leave out the desert for now. Krytan Humans have paladin or cleric as favoured class, and only get +1 skill points and no bonus feats, but instead, get to multiclass freely between paladin and another class as though they had the Knight Training feat from Eberron(to reflect the skills)
    That is PERFECT for a standard D&D game that works. However...what if this situation arises. In my campaign I use the optional rule from Unearthed Arcana in that Bard, Paladin and Ranger are prestige classes. So for a Krytan Human, Cleric would be the favored class. What do you do in that case? Knight Training becomes a non-issue.

Norns: don't start with half giants, they're closer to really tall humans with a few strains of dwarf. Try mixing the two and making them large. The bear form is always anthropomorphic, as seen by the norns you have to fight occasionally. Use wild shape but only with the bear. Adult (meaning norns that have gotten the totems) can cast certain spell-like abilities once per day to reflect the various wolf/raven totem applications. (Actually, wolf shape for the wolf totem would work I think.)
    I thought to use the Half Giant for a few reasons...I cherry picked out this info from the SRD for Half Giants.

• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, –2 Dexterity: Half-giants are tough and strong, but not too nimble. (Sounds like a Norn)
    • Giant (Psionic): Half-giants are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person. (Drop the subtype or change it to something more appropriate like the shapechanger subtype)
    • Low-Light Vision: A half-giant can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. (Perhaps drop this. No evidence for or against them having it)
    • Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A half-giant is automatically proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields. (Sound like the Norn...next item)
    • Fire Acclimated: Half-giants have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all fire spells and effects. Half-giants are accustomed to enduring high temperatures. (Change to cold...next item)
    • Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category. (My argument in favor of using this)
    • Naturally Psionic: Half-giants gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class. Psi-Like Ability: 1/day—stomp. Manifester level is equal to 1/2 Hit Dice (minimum 1st). The save DC is Charisma-based. (Drop this completely)
    • Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Ignan. (Not sure what to do...not important for now)
    • Favored Class: Psychic warrior (Change to Fighter or Barbarian)

Char: Try using a rakasha (spelling is wrong, I know) without the specials +1 to strength, dexterity and wisdom. Favoured class is ranger.
    Do you mean the standard ones from the MM? That may work. Is there any other cat race out there? If so...since they are about as big as a Norn...would you say once again "powerful build" or no?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nah, the Dex bonus cancels out from being huge if I remember.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Nah, the Dex bonus cancels out from being huge if I remember.

So Charr you would actually make them a Large sized race or bigger? Hmm....interesting. Perhaps this could be a breakdown

Small Races: Asurans

Small Races That Get Bigger with Age: Skale...figure start small...if they live long enough they get bigger...max out somewhere around large perhaps.

Medium: Dwarf, Human, Norn, Tengu, Grawl

Medium with Powerful Build: Norn

Large: Centaur, Charr

That sound about right, huh? This means Charr would have "reach" which does concern me. I hate messing with level modifiers and all...but I guess I would have to to balance out things.

BTW...I took a page out of the Pathfinder RPG for standard races. Humans are a bit more meatier. In case you haven't this is the change from the PHB human.

• +2 to one ability score: Human characters get a +2 bonus on one ability score of their choice at creation, to represent their varied nature.
    • Weapon Training: Humans are proficient with any one martial weapon of their choice, in addition to those granted by class proficiencies. This weapon must be chosen at 1st level and cannot be changed.

I feel this variation on human raises the bar of stats. It is assumed humans are the standard...no adjustment...thusly that is the balance. I like how pathfinder RPG challenged it saying humans are not a +0 stat race...they get a bonus to something. I may even say they get a total of +4 to use. They can make four stats +1 or three at +2, +1 and +1 or two at +2 and +2 or one stat at +4. But that last part is just an idea.