New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Talon and Claw. (A Diabolical Campaign)

The night is a thing ripped open, the red moon Selia giving the black clouds beneath her an eerie red glow as they give over their lifeblood to the earth, causing it to become a mire of slick, bone-chilling mud. The sons and daughters of Selia can be heard, the great bloody wolves native to the Demonspires baying and yapping as they chase their unknown quarry, uncomfortably close to the six creatures who are to meet here among the ruins of Mist. All around great structures of wood and stone rise up from the ground, cast in a sickly red light they appear as bloody bones rising from the earth, too stubborn to succumb to the woods that slowly swallow them.

The place is like something from a nightmare, and it is such a nightmare that has brought six champions to this place. Each has been chosen by their shamans and elders to come to the ruins of Mist and take up the clawed standard, to be a bladed shield against the Talon that would see them all enslaved even as their world burns. Some were chosen for their cunning, others their strength but all have been deemed worthy in the eyes of their people even as they have yet to deem their unknown compatriots worthy themselves.

[You have yet to meet though you know that you are to meet the other chosen champions here. Please post a introductory description as you all come upon each other.]
    Corpses: Crack open a cold one today!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Talon and Claw. (A Diabolical Campaign)

Gli'lix

As everyone else approaches it seems they aren't the first here. Gli'lix is standing at the top, drapped in all black. He looks like your standard bugbear, standing 6'11", possibly weighing near 300lb's, with a rather large sword hung across his back.

At first you aren't quite sure how you would have missed him, as the first few glances towards this direction he wasn't there, it was almost as if he appeared out of no where. As you approach you feel his eye's weighing your worth, and sizing you us not only as an ally but also as an adversary.
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-07-21 at 05:19 PM.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mon Nailgrinder

Dressed in chainmail spotted red with his victims, whether ally or enemy, Mon exemplifies hobgoblin. 6'4", hair as thin and dry as grain, skin the color of Bloodstone, and tusks showing enough to tell people his scowl is serious.

Mon heard about these new champions that needed some direction. Maybe he'd make it big with them and not like his former team of bithels. He looked up and down the bugbear that had already showed up. Big sword and muscles to match. Not bad, Mon said with a grin. Finally! Someone worthy of his command.

4. - Top - End - #4

Graese

Looking at the other Champions, Graese can tell why they were chosen. The King that Crawls will enjoy the suffering these shall wreak. He shoos some flies away from his eyes. Damn overground...

The trog shifts uncomfortably. He does feel somewhat... inadequate up against some of the huge Champions gathered in the ruins. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea... but no, the visions...

5. - Top - End - #5

Default S'theliss, Greenscale Ranger

S'theliss moves through the vast ruins edgily, hunched over and skulking from shadow to shadow. He doesn't see the other champions until well-up close, and is sure that they must have glimpsed him beforehand. Padding up far behind the blood-armoured hobgoblin, the lizardfolk shakes his head from side to side uneasily, tongue darting from his fanged lips.

The lizardman looks meagre in comparison to some of the other arrivals. His hide clothing is barely tanned, and his belt is little more than a rope wit trinkets and fetishes hanging from it. The two longswords strapped to his back look scarcely better, unscabbarded, blunt and chipped. S'theliss stands shorter than most of his kind, and his green scales are mottled and fade to a lighter hue at the neck. Though his arms and shoulders are hugely muscled, it has little effect other than to make the rest of him look disproportioned, and strangely weak.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Lightning spills forth from the sky's maw, briefly illuminating the area around you even as the roar of thunder rolls over you, drowning out all other noise for the briefest of moments. You are in the courtyard of a once great cathedral, its once beautiful gardens given over to weedy mud, its once proud walls crumbled and pitted though a great stained glass window remains. The once vibrant stained glass is now faded and caked with the grime of countless seasons. Despite this you can still make out the large symbol that dominates the window, a white bolt of lightning on a red circle.

This symbol of familiar to you, and the fact that one would find it on a civilized building is almost unthinkable. This is the symbol of Lakzyr the Storm Lord, son of Selia and the enemy of Erathis. Lightning strikes closer, crashing into a sagging ruin a few dozen yards away, turning it into nothing more than a soggy cloud of debris that fills the air with the smell of burning dust for a brief moment before the rain washes even that away.

"You look promising, yes yes, I promise not to eat them Lord, not your chosen." comes a small, groaning voice from the doorway of the temple and when you turn your head to get a better view of the speaker you can hardly believe your eyes. It is a small thing, smaller than a halfling, it's hunched form is covered in small gray scales while long narrow eyes the color of old piss rest above reptilian nostrils. It's mouth is spread wide, completely dominating its face and giving one a good view of it's several rows of extremely long, needle like teeth. It hobbles forward slowly, using a long rune scribed bone as a cane it does so. The creature eyes each of the heroes in turn before it points its bone cane like a rod at each of them.

"You the ones who are chosen. You the ones to fight the great hate. You the claws but not yet." the creature says rather matter-of-factly before it lowers its bone, once again being used like a cane. "You come for standard, you find standard here if you worthy. I Storm Shaman aid you. Come come." He motions for those to follow as the creature turns and starts to slowly head back to the ancient cathedral.

7. - Top - End - #7

Graese

Putting away his anxiety, Graese chuckles softly at the thought of the little green thing eating any of the Champions. Never the less, he follows the little thing at a distance, his hand on his weapon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lets do some rolls shall we? First I want to know what the little thing is.
    Dungeoneering: (1d20+1)[18]
    Arcana: (1d20+9)[14]
    And I want to know more about Lakzyr
    Religion (1d20+9)[19]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mon Nailrinder

Mon tries thinking over the icon and this strange man with his knowledge from various stories he's heard and told, but he can't gleam a single thing from it. He spits angrily at the ground in frustration and grudgingly follows the small creature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    History Check (1d20+8=9) First roll of the game is a Nat1? Damn you Batman! DAMN YOU!!!!
    Libras D'lnar avatar by CSK

9. - Top - End - #9

Flicking a dry scale from his forehead with one chipped claw, S'theliss rubs his brow and looks towards the small, sinister creature walking away from them. The lightning has left a bright streak of white imprinted momentarily on his vision.

The lizardfolk tries to recall any relevant information about what has just happened.

Spoiler
    Show

Religion: (1d20+3)[18]

Nature: (1d20+9)[13]

Dungeoneering: (1d20+7)[23]

Arcana: (1d20+8)[16]

Once the other champions start to follow the squat little lizard leading them on, he quickens his pace and moves into the middle of them. Turning in an arc to face them all, S'theliss hisses: "Who are you all? Your names?"
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2008-07-26 at 04:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Graese

Graese pushes the aside the lizardfolk, addressing him gruffly. "We are Chosen, we are Champion." He echoes words from a vision he had. "And I am Graese, chosen of the King that Crawls."
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-07-26 at 05:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mon Nailgrinder

I'm Mon, and you're in deep skla if you need to know the rest of my name. I came hear because some "champions of the people" needed help. In fact, Mon turns and motions his head toward the elderly lizardfolk, I think he was the one that told me. Feeling tricked, Mon's scowl tightens and exposes his lower tusks, riddled with plaque and erosion.
    [OOC: Assume an Intimidate check if the elder tries Mon's patience anymore.]

12. - Top - End - #12

Gli'lix

Following behind everyone else, staying cautious of the situation, but trying to seem accepting. Seeing the tiny reptilian talk about eating him puts a smirk on Gli'lix's face. But he knows that not everything is as it seems, tiny things can be dangerous and giant things can be gentle.

When confronted by the Lizardman asking who they were, Gli'lix just looks at him and keeps walking, Barely even giving him a second glance.

A very low mutter is heard from him, Gli'lix

Following the small creature, Gli'lix keeps his eye's open for anything that would catch his attention.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+5)[20]
    Insight - (1d20+5)[23]

not sure if you want to roll these, or you want us to when we are actively looking.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The Storm Shaman is a strange creature to be sure, and you are unable to put a claw on exactly what the little toothed horror it. At a glance it appears to be some bastardization of a Sahaugin and a Foulspawn perhaps, at least as far as it's appearance goes.

Lakzyr is the god of the unyielding tempest and a patron of the wilderness. An enemy of Erathis and all that goddess stands for. A darker patron than Avandra, he does what the more benign Avandra cannot, He takes the battle ot Erathis herself. A diety considered to be a great evil among the more civilized tribes of the world it is a strange thing to find a temple dedicated to him in the middle of a once great city. Despite being seen as an evil diety many uncivilized tribes consider him a hero, a god who fights to keep the cancerous growth of civilization from swallowing the world and enacting genocide on the more monsterous races.

The heroes follow behind the Storm Shaman and enter the cathedral on the strange beings heels. The great cathedral is a strange thing on the inside, its floors are overgrown and mostly flooded due to the rain outside leaking through the many holes in the ceiling. The many pillars that hold up the remains of the roof are heavily runescribed, each rune pulsing with crackling energy much like the lightning outside.

The Shaman heads to the fore of the cathedral, coming to rest before a haggard altar stone set with multitude of red candles that bath the altar in an eerie red light. The shaman turns to the group and holds up a hand, a silent command for them to remain where they are.

"You here to be claws of Lakzyr." it says simply, pointing its bone cane at the group once more. "But you not good as you are. You be tested before you take standard." The thing narrows its dark yellow eyes and meets the gaze of each hero in turn. "If you not want be Claw, say and I eat you." he smiles, showing them all his rows of needle like teeth once more. "You want be claw, you say 'Lakzyr to your wrath I commend my spirit, at your will my claws find flesh and my maw find blood of your enemies."

The Shaman's lets the the words sink in before it leans forward on it's cane, waiting expectantly for the groups answer.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mon Nailgrinder

This is as good as it gets for a showing of leadership. Being a "claw" of this Lakzyr fellow. Mon was never on the hobgoblin bandwagon of worshiping Bane or Kord, he believed leadership came from one's self and drawing it out from others through word and force.
    He turns to the others of the group. I'm up for this. The rest of you sricks?

15. - Top - End - #15

The lizardfolk steps edgily into the cathedral, avoiding the pillars and keeping to the back of the group. Such an obvious manifestation of divine power makes him more than a little uneasy. He's glad to have a reply from the other champions, and supposes their manner could have been far worse than it was. Still... he doesn't relish spending much time with these ones. That's not what's important here, though.

At Mon's insult, S'theliss turns towards him and replies, "I am here." He veers his long head towards the little shaman and answers him. "I have seen humans for what they are. Empty. Brittle. They have no strength. I know of no others in this way." He draws the next word out with his tongue, making it little more than a lingering, rattling hiss. "Lakzyr... to your wrath I commend my spirit, at your will my claws find flesh and my maw find the blood of your enemies. Hesitation doesn't mark his voice, but it runs thick and heavy in his mind.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mon Nailgrinder

After guaranteeing someone else going with him, Mon now pledges.
    In a triumphant voice, Lakzyr! To your wrath I commend my spirit! At your will, my claws find flesh and my maw will find the blood of your enemies! Mon get's a nice tingly feeling; he hasn't felt as motivated as this since weed-out periods in his home clan.
    Last edited by Eldmor; 2008-07-27 at 02:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Gli'lix

Being rather quiet and gruff this whole time, once again only a mutter escapes the lips of the large bugbear Lakzyr to your wrath I commend my spirit, at your will my claws find flesh and my maw find blood of your enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

18. - Top - End - #18

Graese

"Lakzyr to your wrath I commend my spirit, at your will my claws find flesh and my maw find blood of your enemies." He hisses, his heartbeat racing. It was a similar oath he had made to Torog, and he has no qualms making an oath to Lakzyr, since it serves the will of the King that Crawls.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

"Yes yes. Good you do this." the Shaman says excitedly, moving around the altar and out of sight for a moment you can hear the sound of claws digging into stone and the little creature grunts as something moves. Suddenly the back wall of the cathedral slides slowly to the side, revealing a dark passage way that descends into the unknown depths of the cathedral.

"Now you get standard, be claws." the creature says, pointing a long twisted claw towards the passage. "You go, bring standard and I tell you what to do. I good at that." The shaman smiles toothily as he awaits the groups action.

(The passage is ten foot wide with an eight foot ceiling.)
    Last edited by DiabolicalFurby; 2008-07-27 at 12:22 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mon Nailgrinder

Mon heads first into the passage. He knows he can take a frontal assault better then any of the other 'champions'.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How wide is the passage? Mon will try to stay in the middle to prevent a blitz.

21. - Top - End - #21

Graese

Graese steps into the passage, comforted at the thought of returning below ground.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-07-27 at 12:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Gli'lix

Gli'lix follows the others into the tunnel and tries to remain hidden with-in. Staying close to his friends to attempt to hide behind them he keeps pace ready to strike at anything that threatens them

Stealth - (1d20+6)[10] +11 normal, -5 for moving more than 2 squares
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The group enters the passage behind the altar and begin to descend at a rather alarming angle. Whoever dug this passage made it rather steep and with the water from the flooded cathedral leaking down the muddy slope you find yourself having to be exceedingly careful to stay on your feet.

The Storm Shaman watches you descend for a moment before the little creature laughs childishly. "You go be claws and bring back standard, or rot with others!" he shouts just as you hear the stone entrance slide easily back into place. The little bastard has sealed you down here. Forever or until you get the standard, who knows at this point but there is nothing you can really do besides continue.

After a moment you find yourselves at the bottom of the muddy ramp, standing in a large room whose ceiling is held aloft by large stone pillars like those in the cathedral, and like those in the cathedral they are embedded with pulsing blue runes that give off enough light for you to see by.

You see objects in the mud, as well as feel things bump into your legs as you move through it. Upon closer inspection you find them to be the gnawed bones of various monsters, no doubt the 'others' the Shaman was talking about.
    Last edited by DiabolicalFurby; 2008-07-30 at 05:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Mon Nailgrinder, Hobgoblin Warlord

Gauntlet trials. Mon was feeling at home already.
    He squints his mud brown eyes into the barely-lit area ahead while slowly trudging in the muddy, skeleton strewn ground.

25. - Top - End - #25

Graese

Graese stoops over and picks up a muddy bone. After cleaning much of the mud off he examines it closely for tooth marks that might indicate what could be down here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature (1d20+6)[11]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Mon focuses his sight for a moment looks around. He takes in the claw marks on the walls, great deep gouges in the rock that look as if armor would be little protection against such claws. The Pillar too looks to have been claws and gnawed upon a bit, though the pulsing electric runes appear to be undamaged.

Graese picks up a great leg bone belonging to some unknown creature, a goblinoid perhaps. The bone has been gnawed greatly and there is not even any signs of the marrow being left inside. The fragile bone bears many marks but Graese is unable to tell exactly what caused such markings.

(I am reopening recruitment today. Jokes, Eldmor, Sharikov and Stupnik are still in. I just need another player or two to continue since Sharikov's computer is being naughty.)
    Last edited by DiabolicalFurby; 2008-07-30 at 04:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Gli'lix

Well we best get a move on, don't wait here to long or we become the next meal for this beast, what ever it is.

still sneaking through the shadows as best he can to try to remain unseen Gli'lix begins moving slowly through the chamber
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

28. - Top - End - #28

S'theliss stoops down to pick up a bone, following the actions of the troglodyte. He runs his hand down the damp, muddy pillar, and tries to examine the thing in the half-light.

Spoiler
    Show

Nature: (1d20+9)[13]

Perception: (1d20+7)[25]

Dungeoneering: (1d20+7)[19]

"I'll need a torch. My eyes don't see so well here. I have one, if another will carry it."

29. - Top - End - #29

Graese

Graese idly flips the bone around his fingers, not really sure what to make of it. In the end he utters a few words and the bone begins emitting a bright light.

"Better?"
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-07-30 at 09:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Mon Nailgrinder, Hobgoblin Warlord

Whatever lives down here is has some powerful claws and a strong set of teeth. Watch your backs.
    Mon motions for everyone to follow him deeper into the hallway, while still staying within the radius of Graese's light bone.