New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Rumblings in Langtier: Party No. 1

"Sounds good to me, I'm not much of a tracker, though, so I think I'll stick with you."

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranojoe View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy crap, Vespe is 105 lbs on a 5'11" frame?!? Dude must be a skeleton! You sticking with that?
    I used a character generator to help me along with making Vespe and organize things a bit better, and that's what it came up with for his height and weight. I didn't really pay attention to it until now. Thanks for mentioning it

EDIT: Ah, I see what happened, I added to the height without adding to the weight. Fixed.
    Last edited by Vespe Ratavo; 2008-08-08 at 01:07 AM.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

Behlan tucked what remained of his rations between his shirt and the padding of his armour, as the wagons started moving, keeping half an ear on what Groj was saying as he did.

The man seemed a bit more tolerable when he kept the volume down and the orders as suggestions. Plus, scouting ahead did sound sort of fun, even if travelling near the centre of the wagons would be relatively safer.

Behlan turned to the quiet elf in the dark cloak. "You want to take point, then?" he asked with a smile, "Or should I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Behlan will take up position at the front or middle of the convoy depending on Aliron's answer.

Woah, Vespe shrank!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Derel

Not getting an answer from Groj Derel turned to look at the man passing by. Hearing the merchant's order he moved onto the road with the wagons, taking up his previous position next to the middle one.

"Well off you go feathers" he said to Braan. "And, keep an eye on thingy behind us would ya, I have this funny feeling that he doesn't like me" he said with a smirk. She gave a nod and took flight over the wagon.

"We'll see how much Loudmouth is smiling when we get to a toll point" Derel said to himself, remembering the rules on Halfling travellers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will there be a toll to cross the Duskling Bridge because making Groj pay would be funny.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2008-08-08 at 11:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Come on Vespe, it is fun on point. You are never the target in an ambush. O' *ahem* Of course, you do need to watch for pitfalls, but I doubt that is a problem out here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jackpot!
    Nobility (d20+5)[12]
    History (d20+4)[21]
    Heal (d20+6)[22]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj wasn't sure which was better -- seeing the lightfoot slink off without a response, or having the rest of the crew approve of his suggestions.

He punched Vespe in the shoulder good-naturedly. "Ah like it. Stick wit' me, kid. Rafe's right, the action's on this end."

To the group as they dispersed, Groj said, "I'll holler if somethin' happens we gotta be obvious about -- otherwise y'all listen ta Vespe's playin'. Ya hear it change or get quiet all sudden-like, you c'n figure we spotted somethin' funny on our end."

At this, the last wagon, along with Human, caught up to their position, and Groj felt his pony's muzzle nudge his hand, leaving it slightly damp. "Yeah, yeah -- ev'rbody who cares, this is Human. Thinks e's a real person, so be careful, he'll eat yer chow and sleep in yer tent if ya ain't strict wit 'im." Groj reached back and gripped the horse's mane, tugging on it with with an affectionate grunt. "No, no... no more carrots f'r you till we bed down, now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Vespe's probably the only one close enough to hear this last bit with the pony, but I thought it was worth sharing.

And definitely I'm looking forward to toll booths, whether the halfling gets jacked -- remember, the baron's supposedly taking away their tax-free rights -- or it gives Groj an opportunity to bitch and moan with everybody else who's getting taxed. Should be fun.
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Aliron

"Sir Half Elf Half Thief, I know not the circumstances that led to your being, but you have to know that just because humans rule this land does not mean every one of them knows anything. From the looks of it, especially not that one," Aliron said, his eyes gesturing at Groj's direction.

"Of course, I trust you will give in to your higher Elven instincts instead of listening to people such as him when the situation presses for them."

"Enemies might come from the front, the sides, behind us, from above, or, like burrowing rodents, from under us by usurping control of our leaders and peers. But if some delusion of order will allow you to orient yourself better, I will take 'point.' Which way is that again, if we were to be ambushed from that side?" he asked, pointing to the right and making his way further in front of the wagons without waiting for an answer.
    Last edited by aliron; 2008-08-08 at 05:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

Behlan bristled, for nothing other than the perceived insult to his human mother.

"If they came from the side, good sir," Behlan started with faux civility, as the stuck-up elf turned away. "Then "point" would be the position were the arrogant elf failed to see an impending ambush, what with his head being stuck up his own arse."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"The front would be the flank and thus very important." Rafe then recounts a famous battle in which this was the case. "... so you see, a sucessful roll back on a flank can chain its way along the front. It applies in everything from the individual to the strategic."

Spoiler
    Show
    Should I roll? I assume with 4 ranks and a millitary background I'd know of a famous battle where this is the case.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-08-08 at 08:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Vespe

"Human, huh? Interesting name..." Vespe took out his lute and began to tune it again, while following Groj. "So tell me, did you name him that, or was he already like this when you first got him?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm confused. Are Groj and Vespe at the front of the wagons, or the back?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespe Ratavo View Post
    I'm confused. Are Groj and Vespe at the front of the wagons, or the back?
    Sorry, seems there's confusion for several folks -- Groj was offering to continue to hold the back point, as he had been doing, and I presume Vespe is still willing to join him. Rafe agreed to return to the lead wagon with a fourth person. And the fifth person would take point -- as in, scout a reasonable distance ahead, not just join the lead wagon. Groj didn't mention Derel, but the assumption was probably that he'd return to the middle of the group.

Y'all are welcome to have your characters interpret what he said in whatever way you think would make sense to them, of course! Sorry if he was unintentionally confusing...

I'm looking forward to learning more about that guy who passed us by...

Grojimar

"Folks back home called 'm that," Groj said. "He was a right pain inna ass, too -- actually would try ta get inna tha house when ya was at dinner, wouldn't stick wit tha rest o' tha ponies... Yeah, he ain't willin' ta do what e's supposed ta; jes' don't know where he belongs."

Groj smirked. "Which is why they stuck me with 'im."
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-08-09 at 12:44 AM.
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

11. - Top - End - #71

"Ah, interesting..." Vespe began to wonder to himself why a horse would consider itself...well...human. Wait...can wizards turn people into horses? I mean, if they can turn people into frogs...I wonder where the rest of them goes when that happens...best not to think about it, probably.

"So anyway, tell me, how'd you get into all of this? I mean, why did you decide to come along with this trader guy, anyway?"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

The beefy man twisted up his lips. "Him? Naw, this is jes' a job. Gotta keep coins in ma pouch while I'm on tha road." Groj paused, considering, then reached over to Human and his pack. "M' goin' back home soon as I find ma nephew. Tha baron conscrip'd 'im -- too young, way too young ta be inna army."

"Me, ah was proud, proud ta serve in tha Langtier guard -- ah did a few stints there, an it made me a better man, a stronger man. But him, he's a long fortnight from 14 -- too young f'r what's goin' on, all that madness wit' tha king n' sech. He should be home wit' his momma, 'r watchin' tha herd like a young man's supposed ta."

Finally pulling a piece of chew from his pack, Groj gnawed off a hunk. "You? Where's yer home?"
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-08-09 at 02:10 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Vespe

"Hmmm, I agree...much too young...Me? I'm from the elven lands, little town. Pretty close to human lands, so my town had a lot of humans. I'm just wandering around, thought I'd see the world while I'm still young, you know? Same here, I'm just with this guy for the money...plus...I...kinda needed to get out of Lorhain. Nothing major, just a little misunderstanding with the locals. Figured I'd kill two birds with one stone." Vespe began to play on his lute as they walked, whistling along with the tune.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform - (d20+7)[14]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

The hours drift by as you trudge through the Armatier countryside, until, on cresting a hill, the monotony of thorps, fields and thickets is broken abruptly by a blinding flash of gold: the setting sun's reflection off the glassy surface of the Orlister. To the south, the sky is bruised and foreboding. Down the road lies a large stone bridge with some sort of fortification attached to it on the northern side. A small village lies beyond that.

"That's the bridge!" Arne calls out from the head of the group.

Spoiler
    Show

Vespe
    • Out of the corner of your eye, something on the man's wrist sparks your memory. A braided strap of greenish material is tied around his wrist signifies that he is a member of the Green Band, a group of freelance warriors from the kingdom's south.

Rafe
    • The man wears the subtle insignia of The Green Band, a group of nomadic knights who swear fealty to no one lord, but defend the kingdom as they see fit.
    • The scarring on the man's face indicates that he has lived a pretty violent life. Some sort of burn scar partially obscures quite a few small scars, but the signs of a heavy slash running parallel to his jawline are evident. His nose has been broken dozens of times.

Groj
    • This man's facial scars seem to be from all manner of different injuries: burns, edged weapons and at least one kind of teeth or claws.

I'd like two fortitude checks from Rafe, please. Not having to carry that armour has been a welcome reprieve, but you're still pretty tired.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

To himself Rafe thinks I could do that. I'd have to fake a knighthood, but it's the sort of thing I'd like to do.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

"Sure. Ah know how that can be," Groj answered quietly.

"Now that's nice," he said as Vespe began to pluck out his tune. For the rest of the trip, Groj remained fairly reserved, except to nod and occasionally smile at Vespe's playing. If Vespe listens closely, he may notice Groj humming along at a very, very low tone.

Hearing Arne's call about the bridge, Groj stretched his limbs, shaking the road out of his legs. "Bout time...."

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

His irritation and anger had gone as quickly as it had come, leaving the afternoon's walking peacefully uneventful and, to Behlan's mind, a little tedious.

He had opted to keep his mouth shut as the group made it's way further north; as interesting as their little collection of misfits was turning out to be, he wanted to make it though the day without serious injury. Choosing instead to quietly hum along, almost tunelessly, with Vespe's playing as he watched the farmland pass them by. He grinned at the thought of how horrified his father would be if he had heard.

As the boy on the front wagon called their attention to the bridge Behlan stopped and took a moment to admire the view, before glancing back to the south. "Looks like the herdsman was right about that storm," he said as he flipped the hood of his cloak up and trotted to regain his position by the middle wagon.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Derel

"Well by Sirilain its about time" Derel murmured as the merchants son called to the group.

He then called Braan down, she always sharpened his eyes and ears.

Spoiler
    Show
    "she always sharpened his eyes and ears" = to regain his alertness feat.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj put his calloused hand to his forehead, staring ahead intently through the setting sun's glare. That thar bridge is shor a sight farther than ah thought it'd be... He took a final gulp from his waterskin, preparing to dunk it into the Orlister for a cold refill when they get closer.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-08-13 at 02:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

After the best part of an hour, you arrive at the bridge. About 25' wide and 50' long, its northern end is incorporated into a stone building about two stories high, with a crenellated roof. The building is quite old, and seems to be built around a wide arch that traffic can pass through. The flag of the baron of Langtier flaps in the wind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (local), (history) or (architecture), if you have ranks in it, please.
    Rafe takes a point of nonlethal damage from the stress of the march, and is fatigued (can neither run nor charge and takes a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity).

The four guards stationed on the bridge's northern side stand to attention as they see you approach. Three are half-orcs, or so it seems, and the fourth, although of human origin, has a slightly porcine cast to his feature and is nearly as muscular as his companions. Their red and grey uniforms are worn and ill-fitting, and their armour look pieced together from whatever could be found. The four guardsmen have crossbows slung across their backs and a variety of arms- one carries a spear, another two swords of unfamiliar make, a third a thick oak beam and the last a notched halberd.

One of them, wearing the most armour of the lot and carrying the halberd, steps forward and cries "Halt in the name of the baron!." The wagons draw to a halt in front of the bridge, and the guardsman orders the merchant and his boys to dismount. The remaining three guardsmen move in search the wagons.
    Last edited by Hairb; 2008-08-15 at 09:42 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe stops to welcome the break, and takes the opportunity to drink some water. He nods to the guardsman not seaching the wagons. Looking for smugglers?

Spoiler
    Show
    history (1d20+4)[24]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

Behlan avoided eye contact with the guards and glanced around the bridge, turning his attention back to them only as the leader, he presumed, called the wagons to a halt.

Would trust this lot about as far as I could through them, he thought to himself as he smiled stiffly at the approaching half-orcs. And even Groj would have trouble just lifting one of them. His smile relaxed around the edges slightly at the mental image, though keep his hand resting, seemingly casually, on the hilt of his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    local knowledge - (d20+4)[12]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Derel

As the guards approached Derel saw everyone stiffen up. I suppose that was the advantage to being kick-ass and 3 foot tall, you learn that size isn't everything.

Even so he tightened his grip on his staff just a little bit, if they had any of Groj's apparent opinion of Halflings he might be in a spot of bother.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Human lifted his head, sniffing the air. Groj looked up as well. Smells almost like home, huh? His face twisted as he saw the soldiers. They don't make 'em like they used ta. Slouchin' lazy... His eyes traveled back to the lightfoot sorcerer ahead of him. An' they'll let that little crook through without takin' so much as a red copper.

Groj strapped his weapons back onto Human, not wanting to appear threatening to these men just outside their stronghold. If he recognizes the location, he'll start describing it to Vespe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for Knowledge: Local = (d20+4)[21]

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

"No, for hidden people. Can't have anyone trying to escape the toll. Are you all travelling with this man?"

Spoiler
    Show

Groj
    • The Duskling bridge is old, as old as the Barony itself, if not older. There are several fortified bridge forts like it along the length of the Orlister.

Rafe
    • This is was gnomish bridge fort, built to defend the old Gravates against human incursions from the south. After humans moved in to displace the goblin tribes in the area, they were remodeled to suit larger occupants. The stone bridge can be retracted if needed.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Yes sir, we are. Rafe says absently as his eyes wander over the bridge, looking for the tell-tale signs of it's history. Neat bridge huh? *ahem* It's very well made, no?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Testing fonts to reflect accents.
    High class
    Down low
    Military
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-08-18 at 08:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

When the guards' question reaches Groj, he answers, "Yeh, we's guardin' tha wagons north. Rough up there." He then volunteers, "He's payin' tha toll f'r us, too, ya know."

Groj tried to smile calmly. 'Damn taxmen. These guys don't even look like proper soldiers, neither. F'r all we know, they're fakes... not that this crew could do a damn thing 'bout it if they was.'

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Vespe

Vespe's hand involuntarily clenched around his walking stick, and he held it very tightly. "Yes sir, that we are, and our employer has graciously agreed to pay the toll for us, his loyal employees. So you should probably go bother him."

Vespe grinned nervously, and tried to remain calm. These guys are fakes, these guys are fakes, these guys are fakes, oh gods, we're all going to be mugged and murdered and left to rot on the side of the road! Okay calm down...okay, if that one tries to attack me, I'll daze him...or should I just beat him with the stick? Maybe stabbing him would work better... There was a puzzled look on his face as he stood there, thinking.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

"We haven't additional people nor valuables in the wagons or on our person. Now if you would please stop circling around our wagons to surround us on this narrow bridge, I would appreciate it."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe glances at the guards with newfound suspicion. He is far more used to the kind of enemy that rushes at you screaming, lurches menacingly, or announces it's presence with deadly projectiles. Nevertheless, he avoids pulling his sword and looks at the merchant for his cues.