New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Rumblings in Langtier: Party No. 1

Grojimar

"Fah, nobles." Groj spat between his feet. "Worse n' lightfeet, them, n' jes' as hard ta get rid of. But yeh seem like the good sort. Glad ta have ya here."

Vespe then introduces himself further, to which Groj says, "Heh. Ain't no adventures up here in Langtier, jes' people gettin' inna heap a trouble. Hope we c'n avoid that -- so don't be one a' them that wants ta jump inta the wrong kinda fight at the wrong time n' place, Vessy. I've been there. It ain't a good ways ta be." His eyes glaze over briefly, remembering why he left Langtier in the first place, but he's back quickly.

"Barkeep! C'n we get that round here? Throat's gettin' dry!"

He pointedly ignores Derel's gibes, and if he heard Aliron's wisecrack, he gives no sign.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-16 at 10:55 AM. Reason: fixed some wording
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Derel

"Maybe your right" Derel replied to Aliron, resisting the urde to use Ray of Frost to freeze Groj's soup. "So, what's your story. How'd you end up here"? he saks Aliron.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

Behlan spluttered and choked as Aliron's words registered, he had, unfortunately, been mid sip at the time. He grinned self-consciously and tilted his head towards his tankard as he raised it again, trying to regain his composure. "Good stuff," he wheezed to no one in particular. Perhaps the elf wasn't all that bad he decided as he settled back to listen to his companions.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe
    Rafe shifts uncomfortably as Groj insults the nobilty, pauses for a moment to mull over his response, and drops back into thier accent.
    Well, they're not all good as they seem to think, but a well ordered sociey is important. Ideally, a good noble should be able to rule well and impress these ideals onto his children, and thus rule wisely. It's just that some children reject this.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Aliron

In response to Derel's question, "Same as everybody else around here I suppose, travel to where things are happening and take the opportunity to exploit the turmoil there. Hell, maybe one day we can play the hero and become the nobles. Or seize the power, become nobles, rewrite history, and then play the hero. Who's up for a revolution?" he says with a smile.

"There's nothing more fascinating than the why or the how. And the rumors of the Baron's secessionist plot could inscribe us into the pages of the history books, or at the very least, we could see how things really happen."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

The ranger shrugs his big shoulders. "Mebbe. I figger it's in their blood -- else how come ya gotta be blood of nobles ta be noble? But yeah, kids'll be kids. I got a girl back home, she's tough as nails, jes' like her pa. You? Got kids?"

Groj glances over at Aliron's suggestion of revolution, figures he's joking, and stays with the more pedestrian conversation he's in with Rafe and the others.
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe
    Rafe smiles. None that I know of. He waits half a heartbeat before laughing. No, no, I'm a lot younger then I look. Spent most of my time in a mercenary outfit in the Brasslands, and then some time in a monastary. No chance, eh?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vespe

Vespe accidentally sputtered and spat out some of his ale. "Me? No, no, don't be silly. I'm only...what, a hundred and twenty nine?" Suddenly remembering who he was talking to, he quickly added "That's comparable to twenty in human years. Twenty five at the most.

And that's another reason why I don't have kids - elf kids are "kids" for a century. And you people wonder why there are so few of us compared to you."
    He sipped his ale again.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

The female elf lets out a loud, bored sigh and mutters something in Elvish, attacting the attention of her two comrades. She makes some arcane passes, grunts a few syllables and undergoes an... interesting change.

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will saves, all around!

Speakers of Elvish:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elf says "I've got an idea. Watch this."
    Last edited by Hairb; 2008-09-17 at 09:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I speak Elvish.
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+4)[24] (to recognise the grunts and gestures)
    Spellcraft: (1d20+5)[24] (To identify the spell)
    Will Save: (1d20+4)[17]

Edit: Knowledge Arcana mod is actually +5 so result is 25
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2008-09-17 at 09:19 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

Behlan was just about to speak when a loud sigh and rather perturbing elvish from one of the table behind them interrupted him. He turn turned in time to see one of the elves complete some sort of arcane rite.

"This could be interesting."

Spoiler
    Show

will save - (1d20+2)[10]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj's eyes bugged. "Damn! Cain't imagine gettin' ta be a parent f'r a hunnert years. No wonder you elves 'r..." he trails off, looking over to where everyone else has begun to gawk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (d20+1)[19]

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163

Vespe

"Hey, why's everyone staring..." he turned around in his chair, his jaw dropping slightly as he saw...whatever it was he saw.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save - (d20)[8]
    Bardic Knowledge - (d20+3)[6] (on the off-chance I've heard of what I'm seeing)
    Knowledge: Arcana - (d20+2)[19] (I can learn "common knowledge" (DC 10) with an untrained check, not sure if that applies to arcana)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe
    Is back to staring off distractedly, but then turns to the Elf with intrest as she speaks. A spell? Could be fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    will save (1d20+4)[21]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Aliron

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: [roll]d20+1[/roll]
    Last edited by aliron; 2008-09-17 at 11:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, that was weird. Going to try again since editing didn't seem to change anything. Will Save: (d20+1)[14]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Derel, Groj, Rafe, Aliron
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is an unpleasant twisting of the woman's appearance that causes a shudder to run down your spine. All at once, it looks as though there is a warty hobgoblin attired like the one that just left the room seated in her place, but your realise that your eyes seem to be playing tricks on you.

Behlan, Vespe
    Spoiler
    Show
    It suddenly occurs to you that the elf maiden's facial features are curiously familiar to those of the hoblgoblin that just left the room. Her clothes, too. She's awfully tall and muscular for an elf, much more than you initially realised. You aren't even really sure if she is an elf, or even female, at all. In fact, the two are virtually identical in almost every way.

The hobgoblin leaves it's chair by the elves and takes up a place beside the door, as though waiting for something.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj grunts when the elf makes her shift, then turns back to his mug and to Rafe and Vespe. Either a bar fight is coming up -- in which case he wants to finish his ale -- or it's nothing to interest him.

"Too bad ya don't have kids. My little one, she's a fireball, she is, always gittin' inna trouble, an' she's jes six!" He shakes his head, taking another swig. "I'd be home wit' her, 'cept the baron's men, they grabbed my nephew and slapped 'im in soldier gear and hauled 'im off to who knows where. Kid's barely a baker's dozen in years -- too damn young ta be inna war. Soon's I find him, I'm back home. Ain't got no innerest in hist'ry like that one." He gestures at Aliron.

Groj surreptitiously glances over his shoulder at the elf/hobgoblin. He is beginning to wonder if he'll get to the bottom of his ale in time...
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-21 at 05:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Derel

"I gotta learn how to do that" was Derel's response to the Elves metamorphosis. He then returned to his soup, completely uninterested in the Elf/Goblin as it got up.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

"I could have sworn," Behlan started; he paused and shook his head slightly. Must have been confused, he decided as he looked at the hobgoblin, maybe he slipped back in... and how could I ever have thought he was an elf?

He turned back to the bench and eyed his drink speculatively. "You know," he said as he lifted the tankard, "this must be stronger than I thought." He quickly knocked back what was left of the ale."That and I've had too much."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Aliron

"Might be interesting indeed," Aliron muttered. "Even though I'm sure most of you noticed, the Elf maiden just disguised herself as a hobgoblin. Keep that in mind if you don't want to anger the wrong crowd by accidentally punching the illusionist in the face. In fact...anyone want 'accidentally' fall and smash some fruit on her so we can differentiate?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj smiled as Behlan finished his second ale before anyone else. "That's tha way!" he said. Aliron's muttering about fruit pulled him away from the order of another round. Sneaky elf was getting a little too involved...

Keeping his voice low, Groj mumbled, "Don't pay it no mind -- what's it matter, huh?" Then he chuckled, looking around the bar. The place wasn't exactly a fruit market. The elf's only option would be to spill booze on the elf/hobgoblin, incurring exactly what he seemed to be trying to avoid.

Groj leaned back, pulling his pack closer and loosening the straps on his warhammer... just in case...

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

Behlan shifted on the bench and looked between Aliron and the apparently false hobgoblin, finally settling on Aliron.

"Really?" he asked, glancing back at hobgoblin. "Because that's pretty cool!"

He turned back to the perceptive elf and grinned. "So," he said. "You're thinking there's gonna be a punch up and you're worried about hitting the pretty lady?" Although he was going to have to take Aliron's word that the hobgoblin was just that.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe

Rafe laughs bitterly into his mug when Groj mentions twenty as too young for the army.

Keep you're knifes in thier sheaths, and I can patch up any bruises you get.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj closed his eyes, feeling the familiar alcohol starting to go to work on the edges of his mind. He could almost hear his older sister's voice... "Groj-groj-grojjy -- ye ain' no drinker. I said, ye ain' no drinkin drinky! Ye cain' hol' yer likker, an' ye ain' no drinker! Stinker!" They both fell over with laughter... well, Groj would have fallen over, but he was already on his back in a pig trough, where he'd landed after trying to show he could too tiptoe along the edge of the fencing. When she finally threw her hair back for the umpteenth time and managed to hold in her laughter long enough to offer him a hand up, he managed to pull her into the sty with him.

That was years ago and not so far away, back when she hadn't become the family whip-cracker, and he wasn't yet the butt of every joke -- or target of every suspicious eye -- in town and on the range.

Groj opened his eyes and took another long swig. Anyone looking at his blue eyes in that moment was at risk for frostbite...

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Vespe

"Woah, I've got to learn how to do that," Vespe said, taking Alrion's words as fact. He took another sip of his drink. "Say, you know what would be great? Becaush I don't. My lifh is meaninglesh." He said, his voice starting to sound slightly slurred.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

The door swings upon and the hobgoblin re-enters the room and walks straight into his identical counterpart. The three hobgoblins exchange confused glances, and the room falls silent. Suddenly, one of the two at the door breaks into a high, feminine giggle. The elves at the table roar with laughter, and even some of the townsfolk are smirking. The other hobgoblin at the door, eyes wide with surprise, growls a short angry syllable and shoves his counterpart to the floor. The prone hobgoblin seems to melt and shift into the form of the female elf, who cowers in fear. A sudden twang cuts through the room's laughter and the hobgoblin drops to the ground, a short bolt protruding from his calf. The half-elf at the bar is holding a compact, unloaded crossbow in his hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    ROOOOOLL INITIATIVE
    I'll need you to confirm your positions. Remember that two or more characters can (and do, in everyday life) share a 5-foot square, so you might start a bit bunched up.

By the by, nobody speaks Goblin, do they?
    Last edited by Hairb; 2008-09-25 at 06:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

initiative - (1d20+3)[22]

Behlan's on the bench in D6

29. - Top - End - #179

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (d20+2)[17]

Vespe's on the bench at B5.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, who brought a crossbow to a fistfight? A--holes...

Initiative:[dice]d20[/dice]
    I can't access my char sheet from work anymore (they've been blocking all the fun sites, just not this one yet), so please add my bonus as appropriate.

Spoiler
    Show