New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Rumblings in Langtier: Party No. 1

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, wrong code.(d20)[13] EDIT: Bonus is +3, so make that 16 for initiative.

Oh, and as I mentioned before, Groj is at J in VB's drawing and thus D5 in Hairb's drawing.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-26 at 12:02 AM.
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Current GiantITP game: The Dark Lord (Chapter 3)
    Current character: Throshkar deLaBlanche - Cavalier, Level 12

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

My Player Registration for PBP -- includes current characters and games.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Derel

OOC - Initiative: (1d20+3)[6] (Are you kidding me. Three pbp games over four days and I have yet to roll anything higher than a seven. I think I upset the mods and they are rigging my dice rolls)
    No Goblin speaker here.
    I don't know where these battleships co-ordinates are coming from so just put me on the edge of the group in case Braan shed in someones soup.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2008-09-25 at 12:42 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative!:(d20+4)[13]

I think I'm at B6 on your map

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The room looks like this at the turn's start.

Moving onto the (roughly 5' high) tables requires a Jump or Tumble check, or a Balance check if you can step onto a bench first. Failing this check will cause you to fall prone in the square you were moving into and be exposed to public ridicule. Jumping down from a table or bench doesn't require a roll.

Standing from a seated position is a swift (free) action that does not provoke AoO's.

The initiative order is:
    Second Hobgoblin (H2)
    Silk Shirt (E4)
    ---
    Behlan
    Rafe
    Vespe
    ---
    Cloak (E3)
    Half-Elf (E2)
    Female Elf (E1)
    ---
    Aliron
    Groj
    Derel + Braan
    ---
    Peasants (P)
    First Hobgoblin (H1)

I'll just post links to the maps to improve loading times. I have a photobucket account, with the username of Langtier.

The second Hobgoblin leaps from his seat, tugging a bronze-banded club from his belt, swinging it at Silk Shirt, and injuring him badly. The elf draws a keen blade as he stands and strikes back, drawing blood.

At the start of Behlan's turn, the room looks like this.
    Last edited by Hairb; 2008-09-27 at 12:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

Behlan

Behlan pushed himself up from the bench and swung his bow free from his shoulder as the fight really got going. No stranger to the excitement of a barroom brawl, Behlan knew from experience he was almost worse than useless in close quarters. With that in mind, he adeptly notched an arrow and stepped further away from the flurries of activity, closer to Aliron and the Vespe; not putting it past the hobgoblins to hold all the elves in the inn somehow responsible.

"So," he said casually, aiming vaguely at the closest hobgoblin while keeping an eye on the rest of the room and just how drunk Vespe was, "does anyone know who's side we're on?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Six seconds of pure action! Behlan is now in C7, his weapon ready (aiming at H2).

Also, I think Groj, Rafe and Derel might have ended up on the wrong side of the table...?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj spins around in his seat, puts his warhammer in his lap, and leans back against the table. "Jes' stick ta yer mugs, folks," he says to the party. "We ain't got no dog in this hunt." He takes another swig of his ale, but keeps one hand on his weapon and his eyes on the combatants.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-28 at 02:10 PM. Reason: dog in this *hunt*, not race. silly me.
    "Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible." --Miguel de Unamuno

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar is Grojimar Roughplow, Human Ranger (Level 1). Terrific artwork by vomit_bunny! (Full-size image is here.)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe
    Unarmoured and tired Rafe mutters pragmatically were on nobody's side, unless we get paid, as my old captain used to say. Then he casts Bless, lest things get dangerous.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Derel

"I disagree. Instead of picking no side, I suggest we wait to see who's winning and then get involved just close enough to the end to take credit for the victory".

OOC: Ready an action to cast Acid Splash if anything tries to attack Derel or Braan.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe
    I don't know about you, but I think I'm going back to playing field medic. Neutral field medic.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

The boy's suggestion of choosing the winning side regardless of who was in the right was all too predictable for a conniving, gutless stankfoot. Groj was sore tempted to choose a side just to screw with him.

Then he blinked. The ale must be going to his head... 'Where was I sitting?? I thought I was...?'

Time seemed to stand still as he waited for the fight to really begin. As it did, Groj flashed back to his last bar brawl, one at the Crippled Bard Inn where he'd been working as a stablemaster for a time. The tavern's guard, a half-orc called Sadok, had brought it all to an head by proving the old adage, The only good halfling is half a halfling.

It left a hell of a mess, but the little bugger had tried to leave without paying... or so Groj had told Sadok in the first place.

Good times...
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-09-29 at 03:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vespe
    Suddenly aware of the fight, Vespe unstrapped his lute and began to strum a little tune, grinning nervously. "Come on now, people, there's no need to fight, we're all friends here..." his eye twitched as he spoke the last part.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vespe is using Inspire Courage on himself, Groj, Rafe, Derel, Behlan, and Aliron, should the party have to join in the fight. I'm not sure if you can add people to the effect, but if we do join the fight and anyone is clearly on our side, Vespe will expand the effect to them.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

The cloaked elf stands and begins chanting while brandishing a short cudgel made of some dark, unworked wood and making a few passes over it with a sprig of fresh green leaves. The club sprouts tiny green buds and the pulse of magical energy fills the room. Moving around the table to outflankthe hobgoblin, he shouts a message to his beleaguered comrade.

The half-elf draws a long serrated dagger and leaps across the table where the terrified peasant are seated. He lashes out at the wounded hobgoblin who is still struggling to pull the bolt from his leg, but misses.

The female elf scuttles away from the hobgoblin, upsetting the shrine which crashes to the ground. She stands and reaches for a small pouch on her belt, trying to find something in its jumbled contents.

Spoiler
    Show
    You all recieve +1 to your attack and damage rolls, and +1 to saves against fear and charm effects. Bless and inspire courage both provide morale bonuses, the effects of which do not stack. Turns remaining: Aliron, Groj, Derel, Peasants, First Hobgoblin. The room currently looks like this.

Speakers of Elvish:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "My lord, fall back! I shall end this impudent creature! My life for Scarmoon!"
    Last edited by Hairb; 2008-09-30 at 12:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Aliron

Aliron unsheathes his weapons and states, "Well, since you guys have them out already in a threatening manner," but stays behind the table. "If one of those hobgoblins charge at us I'm going to cut him down. I don't think they're going to differentiate non-greenskins at point..."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj hefts his warhammer and gets up from the bench to lean against the wall. "Hey, barkeep!" he yells. "Ya got a problem in here!"

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Derel

Talking to himself in Halfling while looking at Groj, Derel said "It's nice to see commitment to your ideals. Lets not get involved, instead lets draw attention to ourselves while we've got a bloody big hammer sat on the table. Genius you are", and returned to finishing his soup.

OOC: I just read your last flashback...
    What did halflings do to you? Did they steal your pet dog to use a war-horse?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe
    I've had enough. Rafe walks forward with his empty hands raised. Heyheyheyhey! Everybody just calm down!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj heard Derel's muttering and glanced surreptitiously over at him. Naturally the halfling was a coward. He couldn't help it. A halfling would happily let a whole bar-full of his fellows gut each other as long as he wasn't harmed. Not that Groj had any desire to get involved in what was clearly a stupid, stupid fight with people far too willing to shoot first and not bother asking questions.

It reminded Groj of the time he'd been working for the militia -- his first week on the force -- and a trio of stankfeet had been cornered in an alley after robbing a farmer just outside the market. His crew had been called on to take the boys in. Naturally the little buggers turned on each other, each blaming the other and all of them blaming the farmer for misunderstanding their "rights"; by the end of it, the smarter one had managed to implicate the other two before they'd even chained them up and left the alleyway.

The two were taken to the barracks and eventually given 10 months prison time; the other one, Groj took aside and personally beat to an inch of his life. He deserved worse, turning in his brother and his wife without blinking. The little rat limped out of town that day and never came back.

'Damn stankfeet.'
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-10-02 at 02:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

And then there was the time Groj 'rassled a steer in front of a dozen drunks and punks, raucous men who thrust mug after mug of the best, chilled Langtier ale into his hands between rounds... that was fun... though the argument he had with Ailysha that night... well, that was not fun.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

As one, the seated peasants run for the bar where the innkeeper is cowering, upturning their benches in the process and hollering in fear. The downed hobgoblin kips up, dodging a thrust from the half-elf and lays into him, raining blows into his midriff with meaty fists.

The other hobgoblin swings his club into the elf swordsman's knees and is rewarded with a sickening crack. The elf drops, unconsious.

Spoiler
    Show
    The second turn begins. Behlan's move, and the room looks like so.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

Nobody else seemed to want to get involved, which seemed eminently sensible… perhaps not jumping into someone else’s fight was a good idea.

The sickening crunch of bones breaking interrupted Behlan's thoughts.

”Screw this!”

There was nothing that he could say that would stop a pissed off pair hobgoblins from slaughtering as many of the elves as they could, however charming he could be. The elves though, he might have a chance of convincing them to call the guards if they could just get the hobgoblins subdued.

He drew his bow to full tension and let the arrow fly at the closet hobgoblin.

The rest of them could back him up or not… and hopefully cleric would be willing to patch him up if everything went horribly, inevitably wrong.

Spoiler
    Show

Firing at H2. Including +1 on attack and damage: bless and inspire courage bonuses.
    attack - (1d20+4)[16]
    critical confirmation - (1d20+4)[21]
    damage - (1d6+1)[7]
    critical damage - (3d6+3)[13]

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Grojimar

Groj hits his head against the wall behind him. 'An' here I thought Belly was straight in the brain!' He wondered if the local guardsmen would just grab everyone in the bar and line them up for hanging, or take the time to pick out the ones who had actually spilt blood. Langtier wasn't a region known for lenient sentencing, in his experience.

"Hold up! Hold up!" he bellowed. "Ain't no need ta be spillin' blood over no damned face-changin'!! Dammit!"
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2008-10-07 at 02:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rafe
    Rafe hesitates for an second, and then with a heartfelt selfpiting oath he pushes past his friends on the bench and heads to the downed elf, where, with a quick prayer, he sends out some minor healing.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I'm in E7. 1 point of healing, I know, it's soooo useful. But I'm not that nice to NPC's.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-10-07 at 05:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vespe

Vespe stood up, stepped over the table, and walked out into the middle of the tavern. The song abruptly stopped, and he held out his hands. "Stop! Stop! What are you all fighting for?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Vespe's going to try and get their attention to make a (non-rushed) Diplomacy check. Of course, he's most likely just going to get horribly mangled for this, but he doesn't know that, now does he?

I imagine he's in d6 or thereabouts. Inspire Courage will keep going for five rounds after he's stopped playing.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.