New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Heaven and Hell: Fate of the World [IC]

Tamtris is a relatively small village, to the south of Varannó. It has only a few hundred people, and everyone lives of what they can grow or gather in the nearby woods. The village has wooden walls and only one gate facing north; when each of you close in from the main road, the gate is opened without a word. When you pass through it, the man on guard duty simply says "you are being expected." On the side opposite of the gate, after the village's center, there is a great house different from the others, with a much older look. The villagers point each of you to it, saying only "you are being expected" again.

When you enter the house, you're met by a small room with many chairs. All curtains are closed, and a single candle on a central table lights the aposent. Shadows dance the walls as the small flame waves, giving a bad feeling to all who are present. There are already two people on the room: a rather young girl and a middle-aged man.

Spoiler
    Show

Roleplay your order of arrival as the order that you guys post.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Heaven and Hell: Fate of the World [IC]

Voth

Upon entering, Voth quickly looks around and nods at the two individuals who are present. After a moment, seeing as how there appears to be more people coming, Voth melds into the shadows, awaiting the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth Check just for fun. See if you can see Voth :P (1d20+11)[24]
    The Emperor Protects

Go Here! Please? Me love you long time.

Of course you can click here and I explode.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

The girl slowly nods back to Voth. The man, on the other hand, just stays still, without even looking to the newcomer. They both seem depressed, marked by nightmares. Voth can feel that they have seen the same dreams as him.

They make no motion when Voth suddenly dissapears in the shadows of the room.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

the cloaked figure has a bad feeling of this. How did they see who he was. this surely was already a step in tbe wrong direction. Although ... something seemed to be off= they seemed to be in the controle of a larger force. thank Torog.

Targat enters the house holding his scythe tight. He doesn't see Voth, so he greets the girl, keeping his face hidden in the shadow of his cloak.

"So I take it you were the ones breaking into my dreams ..." he says with a raspy voice
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

The old man ignores Targat, continually looking to the wall across the room. The girl starts to tremble in fear with Targat's menacing voice, and manages to murmur something almost inaudible...

"N-no s-sir... W-we a-also ha-had d-dreams...."

The girl quiets. Tears slowly drop from her cute face to the floor.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

not reacting to her tears, he says "hmm, then I recon the only thing I can do is wait, right?"

he sits down on one of the chairs, pulling he cowl more over his face.

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sara Phillipson

Sara bursts into the room, huffing a bit as she enters. Once inside the city, her anticipation had gotten the best of her; without thinking, she'd ran as fast as she could to the house, as if she knew that what she was seeking was there. As she takes a moment to catch her breath against the nearby wall, she notices first the old man and the little girl, then Targat, his gleaming scythe in clear visual range giving her an immediate mental note to be slightly wary of him.

Looking directly to the old man and the little girl, Sara asks politely, "Excuse me, sir and miss, do you two happen to be those that the villagers have been expressly leading me to convene with? It seems this is the location I've been looking for." Despite her now slight panting, she smiles to the both of them, then to the seated man. Almost to herself, she says, "This seems like a fairly interesting place. I wonder, what could have brought her to come here...?"
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

As the cloaked figure sees no reason to resond to this ... 'girl', he will choose to do nothing, other then to start to loose his pacience ... how dare that old man ignore him like this ... especially since he was here first.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The girl wipes her tears off, calming down a little now that there's another on the room. "We have been led here, too." Now that you notice it, she isn't as young as you first thought. She seems to be only a few years younger than Sara.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shiv

The towering Dragonborn enters the room, throws a quick glance to the girl, the man, Targat and Sara. Seeing the sythe that the male human is tightly gripping, and the scale armor which he wears, he comments, I see that I am not the only one that was told to come here...

The golden giant pulls two seats side by side, sitting in one and propping his feet on the other.
    Last edited by pup3k; 2008-07-27 at 02:23 PM.
    It is I, Pup3k!!!

"Verb, verb, verb, verb the adjective noun!

My beautiful Altaïr Sneakatar courtesy of Sneak.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sara Phillipson

The girl's comment intrigued Sara even further. "So you've had the visions as well? In that case, they must not have been merely a symptom of a failed scrying...though I had been unsuccessful in my endeavors so far." Turning to face the two again, she says, "I'm sorry for rudely asking a question without introducing myself. I go by Sara. How do you do?" She bows her head to them slightly as she greets them before she awaits their response.

The arrival of the dragonborn interrupts her return to posture. Turning to see the newest member of the meeting arrive, Sara feels the presence of a creature she had only heard about before now. Recognizing Shiv, Sara turns to face him, bowing her head with a smile. "Hello, good sir. My name is Sara. What brings you here?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

the cloaked figure mumbles "pff, I wasn't told to be here, I choose to be here on my own"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

The dragonborn turns to Sara, I am Shiv Fatebringer, I have had several dreams involving the destruction of the world, the most recent one told me to come here.

He then relaxes even more in his chairs, slumping even further than he already is.
    Last edited by pup3k; 2008-07-28 at 09:43 AM.
    It is I, Pup3k!!!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

"My name is Diana. I also had.... nightmares, and was told to come here." - The girl suddenly bursts into tears again - "I-I a-am ju-just a-a fa-farmer's daughter, w-why a-am I he-here ??"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Samuel

Samuel swings open the door, stepping into the flickering light of the room, his plate mail shining in the dim candle light. He pulls his sword out and rests it's point on floor in front of him, using the hilt to lean against rather than taking one of the empty seats.

"I do believe the reason we are all here is not only shared by all of us, but that it shall be revealed shortly. My name is Samuel Sunerald. I am a paladin of the Holy Church, and by my sword if I can help any of you I will."

He looks around the room at the others in it before taking off his helmet and holding to his side, his short cropped blond hair appearing almost golden in the light.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Voth

Emerging from the shadows, Voth seems to appear simply out of nowhere behind Sarah. "It seems that we have been gathered here for a reason." The shifter says almost as if he is speaking to himself.
    The Emperor Protects

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

"Indeed, there is a reason for your gathering here today."

Appearing from nowhere in the center of the room, right behind the candle, there is a hooded man using a oversized oak staff as support for his body. Everyone instantly recognizes the man as the one on the dream. His face is hidden in shadows, even if the candle's light irradiates right into his hood, as if it was hidden by magic.

"Come now, children, follow me."

The man turns around and walks across the room, opening a door that noone had seen before. He dissapears on the door, leaving it open.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sara Phillipson

To Shiv, Sara nods her head in recognition. "Nice to meet you, Shiv. I had similar dreams myself. It was rather strange."

Noticing the shaken girl's expression, Sara holds out a caring hand to her, smiling slightly in a motherly sort of manner. "It'll be alright, Diana. None of us are anything extremely special either. It's all right, Diana. Just be calm, everything will be fine."

As Samuel barges in, Sara looks at him with scrutiny, an annoyed look on her face. Voth's appearance shakes her even further, her smile disappearing in sudden motion. "My name is Sara, nice to meet the two of you. I think you must be correct, Voth; we have all convened here because the disturbing visions we witnessed brought us to this village." Her face a mixture of annoyance and deep thought, Sara took up one of the chairs in the room, taking a seat closer to Shiv and Diana than anyone else.

The man's appearance startles Sara. Now shaken, she brings herself into a standing position. As the man turns to leave, Sara examines the door. His image fading into nothing surprises her, and she dislikes surprises.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2008-07-28 at 07:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Voth

Saying nothing, Voth follows after the man, his hands in his coat pockets.
    The Emperor Protects

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shiv

The shifter appearing from the shadows does not frighten or even startle Shiv, he has learned to take things in stride as they come, what will be will be, that is the way of things. Hmm, a man who can disappear into the shadows could be quite useful... Shiv's thoughts trail off as the hooded man from his dream appears in the room.

Noticing Sara's expression when the hooded man enters the room Shiv chuckles to himself, Ha, well, that one has much to learn...

After the man exits the room Shiv again is lost in his own thoughts, although he is the first up and through the door behind the old man. Why through that door? What's wrong with the room we're in? Is it insecure? Unsafe? Being scryed upon? I suppose I should ask if there comes a time.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Italics indicate thought, so don't respond to any of that, because it wasn't spoken. ((Unless you're psychic of course, then by all means be my guest.))
    It is I, Pup3k!!!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

Targat was planning to scare the little farmers daugther, into making here belief she was here for ritual sacrefice, but with the paladin 'bursting through the door', he decides to keep a low profile for now.

With Voth appearing from the shadows, Targat is slightly starteled, but also relieved, as a rogue from the shadows means he did not land in goody-two-shoos-land.

"As we are apparenly introducing ourself, I would say you can refer to me as Targat. That is all that you should need to know for now" Target ways from below his hood.

When the mage dissapears through the door Targat stands up and follows the crowd (one can hear his chainmail under his hooded cloak) with his scythe over his shoulder, and his hood over his head.

(for those how care: you can see some nasty scarring over the hands of Targat)

((ooc pup3k: most of the time I use black italics for thoughed, that way it can't be mistaken for spoken text))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Everyone heads for the door following the hooded man, even Diana and the speechless old man. The room you enter is enshrouded in darkness; probably magical darkness. You give a few steps into the dark, and suddenly feel a great agitation on the floor. Moving out from the darkness, a legion of rats attacks the party.

A swarm of small rats gangs on the old man, making him fall to the ground. He starts to scream as the many small mouths bite into his flesh. A big rat comes and also starts to bite at him.

The number of rats is overwhelming, and some of them are big and feroucious, attacking with great fury at everyone on range.

Spoiler
    Show

Actually, I would like if everyone used black italics for thoughts and colored italics for speech.

Everyone roll initiative. I'm going to handle initiative a little diferent, every player will make their actions and then the monsters will do theirs. That will be best for a PbP game.

A map of the room (I know it's not the best map you've ever seen, but at least you can get an idea):

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shiv

Init: (1d20+2)[21]

Shiv grabs his halberd from his back, takes a step towards Diana, then attacks the nearest rat.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Minor: Draw weapon
    Move: Shift from K16
    Standard: Normal attack Rat in K15

Attack roll: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage roll: (1d10+3)[8]

EDIT:
    Forgot to say, mark the first rat, assuming it doesn't die...
    Last edited by pup3k; 2008-07-29 at 10:58 PM.
    It is I, Pup3k!!!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Voth

Seemingly unconcerned by this sudden attack or the old man's cries of pain, Voth seems to magically produces two daggers from the confines of his coat. With his right hand, Voth swings downwards at the rat closest to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(1d20+4)[8]
    2 Minor Actions to draw two daggers.
    Standard Action to Attack Rat at M18
    Attack Roll:(1d20+4)[22]
    Damage:(1d4)[4]
    If Rat has not yet acted this encounter, Sneak Attack:(2d8)[10]
    The Emperor Protects

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Re: Heaven and Hell: Fate of the World [IC]

Sara Phillipson

Initiative - (1d20+1)[2]
    14 AC, 12 Fort, 15 Ref, 15 Will

As Sara walks into the room, she feels the darkness. Her own mind quickly examines the situation, determines it to be terrible, and makes way for a retreat. But then the rats appear, and the way to leave ceases to exist. Her thoughts immediately becoming furious, Sara can only do what she knows to do in such situations; act.

Suddenly realizing she has no space to maneuver, Sara chants an incantation as an energy grows in her hand. With a heavy throwing motion, she tosses the ball of energy directly into the ground at her feat, from which a burst of sound radiates forward, smashing into the rats, pushing those who fail to resist.

If that opens up space for her to move, Sara moves out of the wall of rats, beckoning for Diana to come with her. Otherwise, she'll be forced to hold her ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Thunderwave on the 3-by-3 square L-N 12-14. If it hits, push the two rats there to the left two spaces. After that, move to N11 if possible without causing any more AoOs. If that is not possible, that's the end of Sara's turn.

(1d20+4)[17] vs. Fortitude on rat in L14
    (1d20+4)[24] vs. Fortitude on rat in M14

If the spell hits the rat in M14 but not the rat in L14, push that rat to the right two spaces instead. It should then still be possible to reach N11 without incurring AoOs.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2008-07-29 at 08:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

OOC: Forgot to roll for damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage - (1d6+4)[5] to rat in L14
    Damage - (1d6+4)[9] to rat in M14

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

"rats ..."

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative (1d20+5)[6]

situation as on the map:

move: Targat shift (L18) and flank with Voth
    standard: Cause Fear on M18 (1d20+3)[14] vs Fort
    (on success: rat moves away (rats speed+2) probably provoking oppertunity attacks from me and Voth)

suppose M18 is gone:

free action: divine fortune
    standard: Righteous Brand on J18 (1d20+5)[14] vs AC
    (on success: (2d4+2)[5], and Shive gets +2 vs that rat)
    move: Targat shift (K18)

oppertunity attack (if needed)

(1d20+4)[11] vs AC for (2d4+2)[8] damage

supposing I don't have time to post the my next actions: if in mellee, he will use Righteous Brand (giving a ally +2 attack), if not in mellee he will use Dire Radiance on a rat that needs to move toward the party (dealing additional damage), or use Sacred Flame, giving an ally who's in mellee (least likely the paladin - rp reasons) 2 temporairy hps.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Samuel

As the rats swarm the party, Samuel yells a cry of battle. "It has been too long since I have had a fight! Death to the vermin!"

He finds himself surrounded by what seem to be the largest of the rodents, facing the largest of the three. Hie swings his blade at the vile creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    (d20+1)[13]
    Minor Action: Uses Divine Challenge to Mark the Rat in P16
    Standard Action: Radiant Smite on the Rat in P16.
    To hit: (d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (2d8+7)[16]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Initiative Order
    Shiv: 21
    Samuel: 13
    Voth: 8
    Targat: 6
    Sara: 2

Shiv quickly draws his weapon, his muscles instinctively tensing for battle. After quickly repositioning himself, he slays the rat near him with one powerful blow to the head, crushing open the animal's skull under the weight of his blade.

Samuel utters a small prayer, marking the largest rat as his sworn enemy; he will not rest until he kills the creature. As Samuel raises his sword to strike the animal, a burst of light flows from the blade, and the strike connects wonderfully. The wound is deep, and the rat has lost one of his front legs. Blood flows from the cut.

Voth quickly moves together with the rat, closing in on the creature. He slips a dagger from his clothings, and plunges it right into the animal's throat. The creature lies on the floor, dead, a small pool of blood forming underneath the body.

Targat whispers a prayer to his demon master, gaining unnatural speed on his attack. However, the small rat eludes his swing, moving aside at the very moment that he bears his scythe down on the creature.

Sara concentrates her power on the floor ahead, causing a destructive wave of thunder energy to bathe the rats, killing them instantly. Then she quickly moves away from the rats, bringing the terrorized Diana with her.

The rats counter-attack fiercely. The old man is overwhelmed by the rats, and loses conscience. He has too many wounds and bleeds too much to survive. The rats, as if they were moved by some unseen force, close in on the party. They jump and charge into you, but they are mostly stupid and slow, so you have no troubles avoiding the attacks. The only unfortunate one is Shiv; the giant rat rushes at him, jumping and bitting him in the arm. The little monster's fangs are surprisingly sharp and strong, and the creature takes off a good bit of flesh.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the delay guys, but I spent most of my time today with no acess to the internet.

Shiv, you take 4 damage.

Slieken, your damage should have been 2d8+5 (+3 from strenght and +2 from wisdom). You scored a critical hit, so you did 21 damage.

Updated battlefield:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shiv shakes the rat off of his arm, ignoring the pain and focusing on the battle at hand, he moves with an agility that is suprising for one of his size and stature, quickly stepping toward Targat and slashing the large rat that bit him, extending his swing onto the next rat in line.

Spoiler
    Show
    27/31 HP remaining.
    Move Action: Shift into K17
    Standard Action: Cleave on Rat in K16, with STR damage going onto rat in J18 assuming a hit
    Minor Action: Forgone
    Non-Action: Mark rat in K16, regardless of hitting or not.

Attack: (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[11]
    Last edited by pup3k; 2008-07-30 at 08:26 PM.
    It is I, Pup3k!!!