New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Heaven and Hell: Fate of the World [IC]

Diana, still keeping close to Sara, takes a sit next to her, also paying attention the the hooded man as he speaks again.

"Correct you are, my friend. You are the ones who have the potential to stop that demon. If you do nothing, the whole world as we know it will be consumed by the flame."

The man moves to seat on an imposing, throne-like chair, in a position where he can see everyone.

"It is not the time for you to know everything yet. If you wish to rise and take arms against this horrible threat, them you will have to follow my advices. I could force you to obey me, but I won't. Your choice must be through your own free-will. What do you say ? Will you help prevent the destruction of the know world ?"
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Voth

Leaning against a wall, Voth takes in all that the man has said before responding.

"I'm in. Tell me what needs to be done."
    The Emperor Protects

Go Here! Please? Me love you long time.

Of course you can click here and I explode.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"If it rids the world of an evil, I shall offer my aid, but I would still like an explanation of why you sent the man to his death."

The paladin begrudgingly responds, hands clasped in front of his stomach.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shiv

The dragonborn relaxes in one of the comfy seats, simply nodding in response to the question posed by the mysterious man.

The paladin asks again about the old man...
    Would you just drop it already? At his age he was not long for this world anyway...
    It is I, Pup3k!!!

"Verb, verb, verb, verb the adjective noun!

My beautiful Altaïr Sneakatar courtesy of Sneak.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

"I sent no one to his death. Everyone on this room, including the dead man, came here by personal choice. I didn't force anyone to do anything. Besides, he was useless anyway. His death doesn't matter much."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Sara Phillipson

Sara looked at the man for a moment, then looked away. "What else is there? Is it just 'saving the world'?" Her eyes roll for a moment. Then she looks at Diana, as though there is a great deal of importance to her, before she looks back at the man. "I've been told I could save the world before, and that was as true a lie as any I've ever heard. I can always try again, to fix past failures, but I feel there are real failures that need tending to." Something about her words are both sincere and fake, as though she is telling the truth but lying about it almost completely.

At the hooded man's latest comment, Sara responds, but not in an angered or annoyed manner, but a curious one. "If he was useless, why is it that you brought him here in the first place? Was he useless because he died, or rather was he useless in general and his death further cemented that fact in your mind?"
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

"I'm in. We can't have some random demon destroy the world, now can we..."

not a random demon, no ...
    and a feint smile forms on targats face. an inside joke
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

The hooded man remains silent while Sara speaks. After she questions him, he continues silent for a moment.

"He was useless because he died. I called here everyone with the potential to help. If that potential is not used up, or those people are afraid or do not want to use their potential, then they're useless." - You're not entirely sure that the man is speaking the truth, but he seems to be honest.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Finding it hard to stomach the man's lack of respect for life, but not wanting to further anger his companions, Samuel bites his tongue. He has yet to sit, instead continuing to lean on his sword near the seats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight Check: (1d20+7)[17] Because Samuel is very untrusting of this man right now
    Last edited by Slieken; 2008-08-11 at 07:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shiv

Finally, the man stays his tongue, hopefully he continues the trend...

Addressing the hooded man, Now that we've wasted more of everyone's time can you get to the point, mainly the part where you tell us what needs to be done, and how we're going to do it?
    It is I, Pup3k!!!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Sara Phillipson

Sara remains rather silent, choosing to contemplate the man's answer to her question. So if we die...that will be it. No simple raising to continue or anything insane like that, we're truly finished with our quest. Death would be the end. How much would you want that? She carefully notes that the paladin is keeping himself quiet and that the dragonborn is rather eager to begin...whatever this was. The cleric said demon...I don't remember a demon...what is he playing at? Mostly, his tone annoys her visibly, but she doesn't make a move at all.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Samuel is visibly uncomfortable as he stands with his sword on a corner of the room, coldly staring at the hooded man. He feels the man is being honest, though. Answering to the dragonborn's question, the man starts to talk again;

"Very well then, let's get to the point. You are weak. You are so weak now, that you are almost useless to me. However, you will be of need later, and I can't afford for you to die. So, there are a few... 'jobs' you will do. They will both make you stronger and more capable of enduring the tasks ahead, and will halt the demon's plan. Two birds with one stone."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Then out with it. What is the first task you would have us do?"

Believing the man's words, but still not sure of his intentions, Samuel sits down in the chair nearest him, picking up his sword and placing it on his lap.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

"Very well. I happen to know of a village nearby which is being assaulted by evil creatures. I suspect that those creatures are driven by a demonic artifact, hidden somewhere near the village. Your mission will be to investigate the region, and find the artifact. However, do not attempt to destroy it. Bring it to me, and I will see to it that it is properly dealt with. You should go now. I will show you the way to the village."

The hooded man gets to his feet, waiting for you to also do so. The mysterious man walks to the door, and waits for the party to follow him.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Voth

Silently, Voth follows the hooded man, sticking to the shadows whenever he can.
    The Emperor Protects

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sara Phillipson

Despite not liking where the conversation has moved, Sara nonetheless gets up from her seat and follows the hooded man when he beckons. Something about this I don't like. Something feels wrong about this.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

Yes off course, we can't let the artifact remain in the wrong hands ...
    mine would be better
    I will gladly aid you...

when the hooded NPC walks through the portal, targat starts to think ... hmmm ... how will I be able to study the artifact ... lets abuse the distrust that the other have in our imployer. maybe the artifact will bring me closer to my goal ...

Targat adjusts his hood, takes hold of his scythe and follows the hooded man through the portal

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

The hooded man leads the party to the village's gate, and then he points vaguely to the north, saying "The village you must seek is to the North; just follow in a straight line and you will get there. Don't worry, I bet you won't have problems finding the affected region."

The man waves goodbye to the party, and then turns to go back to his house. However, he stops midway, and turns back again. He shouts to Samuel, the paladin:

"My good paladin, your respect for life is very cute. However, I hope you make the right decision when the time comes to weight a handful of lives against the Fate of the World."

With a strange laugh, the man dissapears back into the village, leaving the party alone. Without much else to do, the party starts moving towards north.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Voth

As the party moves north, Voth slowly drifts back towards Sara. "I never got to thank you for warning me about your spell. Thank you."
    The Emperor Protects

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Samuel took the lead as the party traveled north. He kept quiet, pondering his thoughts.

Of course the fate of many outweigh the fate of one, but all life is still sacred. I do not enjoy being a pawn in a game of chess where I do not know the players. Just because a man sacrificed his life for your cause you find him useless? No man is without his own purpose, just because that purpose does not fit your own, does not make that person useless.

He continued to think as he walked along the path, sword drawn in case any danger leapt out at them.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Sara Phillipson

Sara is engrossed in her thoughts as they walk between the room and the village gate. What is going on here? Why, of all the people in this world, was this group chosen to save the world? What is so important about us? Is it this "curse"?

She doesn't realize that the man has left and that she's following the party north from the village until Voth thanks her for warning about her spell. "What? Oh, no, don't worry about it." Realizing she has no knowledge of the man's name, she turns her head to him and holds out a hand. "I don't believe we exchanged names yet, though I did notice you were there when I arrived. My name's Sara." She feels a bit silly after saying it, but doesn't let it affect her.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Voth

"A pleasure to meet someone as lovely and skilled as yourself, Sara. My name is Voth."
    He takes her hand and lightly kisses it, a gesture of a gentleman.
    The Emperor Protects

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

Targat nodds to the hooded spellweaver and starts walking in the direction of the village.

lets think how to best handle the situation ... will we need to find them or shall they find us ? ...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Sara Phillipson

Voth's gesture surprises Sara in a good way, and she blushes slightly to show her respect for it. "You are quite skilled yourself, Voth. It is a pleasure to be traveling in your company." Let's hope we can discover what everyone's motives are before it's truly too late.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

The party covers a lot of ground before the Sun finally starts it's way downwards on the sky; by which time everyone is tired, especially Diana. She didn't complain, however, not even once. She kept silent, always close to Sara.

Finding that nightfall is close, the party decides to set up camp near a group of trees. A watch is set up, and a fire is light. The night goes on without incident, and the party continues on it's way. This goes on for 3 days.

On the beggining of the fourth day of walk, the group starts to see a change in the landscape. The are less trees, and the trees that the party does see seem greyer and look almost like... dead. There are no birds singing like before, and not even a single squirrel is seen. Not even the wind is howling anymore. The atmosphere is dense, and there is a sense of danger in the air.

Even with this change of landscape, the day passes and the party finds nothing, and so a camp is set up yet again. Strange sounds are heard in the night, and many shadows are seen by the watchers. However, nothing happens.

On the fifth day, the party finally finds what they think is the village they seek. Looking from atop a hill, a group of houses can be seen, surrounded by a thick white fog. There is no sound to be heard, and no living soul to be seen. The way to the village is a 10-minute walk downhill, which leads straight to the center of the village.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Samuel turned to the others as they approached the apparently deserted town.

"It appears as though we are here. I suggest we be at the ready for a trap or an ambush. Seems too quiet down there, and lest us forget that the man led us into an ambush before."

Samuel once more pulled his sword, and brandished his shield as he started down the hill.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

"for once, I agree with the paladin ..." ... Targat grips his scythe, and follows the holy warrior, using him as a shield

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shiv

The others preparing for entrance into the village, Shiv grabs his Halberd from his back and readies his mind for the vigors to come.

Seeing Targat hide behind the paladin Shiv lets a rare grin play across his features, I'll take point, Paladin cover the rear, Sara in the middle, Cleric and Voth on either side of her.

Shiv then looks at Diana, Sara, it should go without saying, but I expect you to take good care of the girl.
    It is I, Pup3k!!!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Voth

Voth gives a silent nod before getting into position.
    The Emperor Protects

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Targat

"cleric? Oh, ... I haven't introduced myself ... you may call me Targat if you must ..."

darn the paladin behind me ... hmmm ... oh well

"I'll walk second"
    Last edited by qube; 2008-08-19 at 03:13 AM.