New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Drums in the Moonlight [IC]

Jaras

With a questioning expression on his face he watches Teffil head upstairs.

Turning back towards the bartender, Who's this Cadorro? What would he have to do with what is going on?

And why is the wine so expensive, is it because of all these problems you are having trouble getting supplies?
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

2. - Top - End - #92

"Well," the barkeep responds "business has been limited, since I usually serve travelers and travel has been declining. The price hike's a sad fact of doing business nowadays. You're lucky your friend's paying for your rooms."

"As for your first question," the tiefling sitting at a nearby table answers, "is the weasely little ferret who's supposed to be protecting us. Damn bit of good he is."

The barkeep rolls his eyes, "Teppen there is a little more negative than I am." The tiefling shakes his head slightly. The bartender continues, "In his prime, Cadorro was a myrmidon, when the war ended the Empire stationed him as the magistrate here. Ostensibly, he's responsible for taking care of the Ripper, but nothing he's done worked that well. Town patrols didn't work and we don't have any town guard to speak of."

Anyone can roll History checks.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

History check: (1d20+8)[22]
    A murderer on the loose, and authorities can't do anything about it. Michalson smirks. How very classic. I wonder if this Cadorro fellow is simply incompetent or something else.
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-09-04 at 08:16 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #94

Michalson:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eladrin myrmidons who serve the Empire in war are awarded a position of nobility, and are usually given rulership of a conquered city. The unofficial policy is that your proximity to the Spiral Palace indicates your favor in the Empire.

The barkeep listens to michalson and sighs. "He says he's requesting a guard unit from the tower, but nothing's been said yet. We don't have a town guard, and when we tried to organize militia's it didn't work. Well, it did, but when men were out all night they couldn't work in the day, we had to try and split up the patrols just to cover the town, and we lost two good men when they tried to walk alone. Past that, nothing's worked."

"A bunch of crap," the tiefling continues, "everyone knows he hates it here. He's holed himself in his villa and making token efforts while the rest of us die."

Homebrews:

Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

5. - Top - End - #95

Jaras

Listening to the story that they are telling, and nodding in agreeance. Jaras finally speaks back up and ask's another question. Is there any kind of patter to the attacks? Always attacking in the same location or near it, Attacking drunk people, Attacking near the same time of night? Anything I can use to help solve this problem doe you all.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, we could help you with this, if the guardsmen can't. We'd need to know more, though.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #97

The barman rolls his eyes slightly. "Once again, we don't have any town guards. As for your questions," he returns his gaze to Jaras. "Only people walking alone have been attacked, and only at night, and it always picks the victims clean. Otherwise, it's happened all over town. It stopped for a week while we had militia patrols, but we couldn't keep those up. Nobody really knows anything worthwhile."

Homebrews:

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, I'll still take some wine anyway," Anesta replied as she listened to their story. She thrummed her fingers on the table top, more just to keep them moving then anything else. "How big is this area anyway? Or is this mystery killer a foreigner?"
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

9. - Top - End - #99

Jaras

Ordering a glass of wine, Jaras sits down with his companions and reflects on the information they just aquired. Well it seems this town is bad off. I am not sure about you all, but I believe something needs to be done about it, and quickly. I do not want any of these deaths weighing on my conscience. What I suggest is someone goes out and pretends to be drunk and tries to get attacked, the others stalk that person. When the person attempts to attack him, we capture and turn in the murderer.

Taking another drink of his glass, Jaras adds Well, no time like the present, we ready to go out and save the town.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

10. - Top - End - #100

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    M0rt has some offline issues, so may be posting slow for a while. We'll continue as much as possible until then, then we handle as we can.

The wine is tasty, despite being local. Lively in taste with pleasant backnotes of lemon, it's a welcome taste.

The bartender listens to your story with a half-confused expression. "Uh, right. Listen I can't recommend that but if you want to I won't stop ya."

The tiefling stands up slightly, "we want nothing more than to save this town from the Ripper, but we have responsibilities of our own. If we stop working to go chasing dead leads the town will collapse. You, however, don't have those concerns, so if you sellswords want to fix things be our guest. I'm going to bed Leo."

The barkeep nods, "sleep tight."

Homebrews:

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm back. I hoped I'd be able to get internet connection in the hospital, but alas, I couldn't.

Michalson drinks his wine, frowning. It could be risky. This someone has apparently managed to kill two militiamen, not to mention there might be more of those someones. Still, maybe it could be worth it to stop this butcher... The last sentence seems to be more of a question than a statement.
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-09-16 at 11:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102

OOC: So, to confirm, you guys are going to look outside? If so, who is going to be bait?

Homebrews:

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

OOC: Well, Michalson in any case agrees, but he flat-out refuses to be the bait.

14. - Top - End - #104

Jaras

Jaras stands up looks at his companions, and then towards the door. Well no time like the present, and I can't quite require anyone else to be bait for my idea. Picking up his stuff, he tries to hide them the best he can, making himself not look so "trained". He then takes the glass of wine he ordered and splashes himself with it, to make himself smell like alcohol. Heading out the door, he turns back real quick, Keep your ears open.

Spoiler
    Show

i apologize, my last two weeks have been hectic. i have been in and out of the vet with my dog. i have done numerous xrays. they have finally found the problem, so i should be a little more attentive.
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-09-19 at 04:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Got it. Michalson waits for Jaras to leave, then wanders in the same general direction, trying not to looks as if he's following him. Bluff check in case it's needed: (1d20+1)[21]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

"I will, no worries," Anesta replied. She finishes her wine quickly, thanking the good barkeep for giving it to her. She shrugged, picking up her items and slinging them over her back once more and left with Michalson.

((OOC: Anesta agress, and good to see this going again.))

17. - Top - End - #107

"Good luck," the bartender deadpans, wiping off a glass. "I'll let the town know you died trying to help us."

After each of you leaves the Dancing Rhino, you reenter the familiar, eerie silence of Rose Creek after nightfall. One by one, you make your way out, first Jaras, followed by Michalson and Anesta.

Jaras does his best to stagger like a drunkard, and from watching him he seems to do a pretty good job; Staggering isn't really a science.

Anesta and Michalson trail close behind Jaras, waiting for something to approach him.

Hours begin to pass, and the silence seems to deepen in contrast with the staggering of Jaras.

You seem to cross most of the town as you walk. The town is heavily residential, but you notice several shops of potential interest. Shoalfellow's Tannery, Mathiel's Finery, Chissdae's Smith and Repair. A few more restaraunts are visible other than the Dancing Rhino, such as the White Dragon and Kerrek's Stoop.

Finally you reach the town's forum, a relatively new part of the town judging by it's fresh architecture. A large, open, freshly paved area flanked on either side with several benches and potted gardens, fresh with colorful violets.

While you watch Jaras. Michalson feels a set of small claws work their way up and around his neck, and a large, glossy-furred rat settles on his shoulder, it's black tail curving around and down his back. "This town smells of death master, it hangs in the air." The whisper of the rat is low and raspy, but oddly smooth. "It's almost suffocating. The cloak of this stench will choke this town into nonexistence if it continues much longer as it does now. Perhaps it'd be best to leave before the miasma intensifies, perhaps watch it die from a safe distance."

Before you have any chance to respond, something lunges at Jaras, something with claws...

Spoiler
    Show
    You failed the perception check to determine surprise, but your plan did succeed in getting you attacked.

Roll Initiative

Homebrews:

18. - Top - End - #108

Jaras

Spoiler
    Show

Woot, getting attacked is fun : )

(1d20+2)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson
    Initiative: (1d20+0)[19]
    ((I seem to have lucky rolls during this adventure.))
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-09-24 at 12:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Anesta

Initiative
    (1d20)[2]

21. - Top - End - #111

Initiative
    Michalson 19
    Enemy 16
    Jaras 15
    Anesta 2

Surprise Round before anything, however.

Jaras is taken unawares by the wide swipe of a scythe-like, chitinous claw. It slams into his armor, barely missing his flesh but still knocking the wind out of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jaras is hit with a basic attack and takes 8 damage

With the surprise round over, you can get a good look at the creature. It's a reptilian about three feet tall on five feet long, covered in chitinous plates and walking on four pointed claws. On its underside are two smaller hind legs that hang above the ground. It's jaws are wickedly sharp and it's eyes are beady, and a ridged sping arcs down its back.

Roll Nature checks if you have them.

Roll nature if you have it.

Homebrews:

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

((The surprise round's resolved, so I guess I go in first. No nature check for me, though.))
    Seeing Jaras attacked, Michalson moves to a more advantageous position and fires a ray of sickeningly green energy from his staff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to get two squares behind Jaras and standard action to use Ray of Enfeeblement on the monster. If the monster attacks, use Staff of Defense if it'll change hit into miss. I'm not entirely clear if the monster gets cover or not, but the situation doesn't really allow tactical thinking.
    Attack: (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[11]

23. - Top - End - #113

Nature Check
    (1d20+7)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

24. - Top - End - #114

(Jaras: You don't recognize this creature, but at the moment you're occupied with other things so you didn't think too hard about it.)

Michalson's ray bolts forward, but in the dim light of nightfall his aim skews and it blazes uselessly against a wall. The creature, now adjacent to Jaras, turns to look at the new source of danger, it lunges again, resting on its smaler legs, and tries to tackle Jaras with both its foreclaws. Jaras nimbly dodges one, but one scrapes across his arm, leaving a burning sensation and a faint, but harsh, odor.

Spoiler
    Show
    The enemy uses Ripping Strike, missing with one attack but hitting with the other. Take 5 damage.

Anesta's turn.
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2008-09-24 at 04:31 PM.

Homebrews:

25. - Top - End - #115

Jaras
    HP: 18/31
    AC: 15
    F/R/W: 14/13/13

((I believe it is my turn, as I go right after it))

After many hours of wandering around, stumbling this way and that, Jaras finally is able to lure out the creature behind the attacks.

Drawing out his spears he attacks it full on.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor Action - Hunters Quarry
    Move Action - Draw Out Spear
    Standard Action - Attack Creature
    (1d20+5)[10]
    (1d8+5)[13]
    (1d6)[3]

Action Point
    Second Wind
    Regain 7 hp, putting me at 25/31, and giving me +2 to all defenses
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Anesta frowned as she ran forward and struck at the monster beside Jaras, bringing her axe around in an attempt to stop the creature from attacking.

Furious Smash!
    (1d20+2)[22] - does 2 damage if it hits and gives Jaras a power bonus equal to my Charisma bonus (3) against the thing next time he attacks.

27. - Top - End - #117

(You're right, my bad it was Jaras then Anesta.)

While the beast tries to pin Jaras, the ranger tries to drive his spear into the creature's exposed underside. However, the point sticks wide and the creature dodges. In its distraction, however, Anesta is able to maneuver into position and drive her shield into the creature's side. The creature doesn't look too hurt, but it is knocked off balance.

Round 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Michalson's turn

Homebrews:

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson swears as his spell goes awry and runs forward so that he doesn't have to sling spells from behind his companions' backs. Then he fires a bolt of dim, grey energy from his staff.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to move 5 squares in order to have a clean shot -specifically, two squares northwest of Jaras- and then standard action to use Magic Missle on the creature.
    (1d20+3)[18]
    (2d4+3)[8]
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-09-25 at 08:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

The creature screeches as the energy bursts into his side with considerable impact.
    Jaras:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature reacts sharply to the blows, it seems surprised by prey that resists.

The creature looks to the source of his pain and abandons its quarry to remove the threat. It hops out of melee and on to the masonry wall of a building and claws its way across the side, leaving pocked dents along the wall. He drops down between Jaras and Michalson, and claws at the mage. The mage hastily blocks the worst of the attack with his staff but is still bruised by the attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    The beast moves, provoking opportunity attacks from Jaras and Anesta. It climbs along the wall and drops to the space between Jaras and Michalson, and makes a Basic Attack, which hits for 7 damage.

Homebrews:

30. - Top - End - #120

Jaras
    HP: 25/31
    AC: 15
    F/R/W: 14/13/13

Striking at the creature who is trying to avoid the attacks

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[7]
    (1d8+5)[8]

Jaras then spins around and attacks the creature, shifting to gain combat advantage if able.

Spoiler
    Show

i can't see the map at work. move if am able to grant combat advantage from it.
    minor draw other spear
    attack creature
    (1d20+5)[13] +2 if CA gotten
    (1d8+5)[8]
    (1d6)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show